Fee Fife Fo Fum, I Smell the Blood...

Faramir

Clyde (2) East Fife (0)

Clyde- Paul Cahillane 12 Stephen O'Donnell 68

East Fife- Brian Graham 48

MOM- Stephen O'Donnell, Clyde

"We deserved a better fate. We had better chances, but they cashed in and we didn't," observed Hickey.

"I am really disappointed in Alex Rawcliffe. He was well out of position and it cost us the first goal. This isn't the first time for him- he just isn't improving his play," offered Grayling.

"Their last one was a bit of a fluke. A header back to the middle and only O'Donnell could get there in time to do something with it- score."

"Fluke or not, Brian Mackay just isn't coming up with the saves when we use him. We have lost his last several appearances."

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Partick Thistle (2) East Fife (1)

Partick Thistle- Graham Weir 80 Michael Coulson 84

East Fife- Paul Hopkins 57-P

MOM- Graham Weir, Partick Thistle

"Please! Tell me Eddie, I want to know! How do we go out and blow a 1-0 lead when they are down to 10 men?!" roared Grayling.

Hickey shook his head, "John Sutton has been a good player for us- but today he was horrible and cost us the match with two mistakes in a five minute span."

"It was infuriating to watch, and that is all I have to say about another wasted match that we could have won."

East Fife (3) Ross County (1)

East Fife- Brian Graham 7,22 Jonathan Brown 63

Ross County- Chris Templeman 26

"It was good to see us bounce back with a strong effort," commented Hickey.

"The match itself was important- with Ross County currently in last place. It was nice to see Graham regain his scoring touch in the match," replied Grayling.

"Both Graham and Brown played excellent matches today. It was a great cross by Brown for Graham to get his brace, and then Graham returned the favor with a pass that set up the clinching goal."

Scottish Division 1- Midpoint through season

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1- Partick Thistle 37 pts (+11)

2- East Fife 28 pts (+6)

3- Dundee Utd 28 pts (+6)

3- St.Johnstone 27 pts (-2)

4- Livingston 25 pts (+4)

</pre>

Livingston (2) East Fife (3)

Livingston- Nicky Riley 9 Graeme Dorrans 77

East Fife- Craig O'Reilly 65 David Ross 68,90

MOM- Craig O'Reilly, East Fife

"That was a terrific battling effort from the boys to fight back to take the lead and then to score the dramatic match winner in second half injury time," said a pleased Grayling.

"Makes the trip home a lot brighter," replied Hickey. "The work of Craig O'Reilly and David Ross was exceptional today."

"O'Reilly ran that ball down in injury time and it was his hard cross that allowed Ross to pounce and score the match winner. They made the right choice in selection."

East Fife (0) Hamilton (0)

East Fife- None

Hamilton- None

MOM- Adam Tann, East Fife

"We had our chances- quality chances, but we just couldn't stretch the twine today," sighed Grayling.

"It was a good, solid overall match, though I thought we passed better," commented Hickey.

"Maybe so, but when we couldn't convert- we failed to get a win that I thought we could have had."

East Fife (1) Hibernian (2) Scottish Cup 3rd Round

East Fife- Paul Martin 69-P

Hibernian- Scott Brown 4 Ross Campbell 31

MOM- Scott Brown, Hibernian

"It was a good effort, but our indifferent backline play in the first half was what cost us the match," stated Grayling.

"We came close to getting the equalizer, but just couldn't find the goal we needed," agreed Hickey.

"Until the 2nd yellow card to Michael Hall, I still thought we might even the match."

"A new addition today Eddie," said Grayling.

"Who would that be? I hadn't heard any transfer rumblings..." asked Hickey.

"We signed 21 year old rightwinger David Gray on free transfer. Gray had been released by Kilmarnock in July of last year and was pleased to have received any kind of offer."

"Hmm, I take it this signing might be seen as a vote of no confidence for Graham Gibson?"

"Yes, well a bit I guess. He just isn't playing well as a rightwing and we need someone behind Mathew Birley who can play. Our scouts really like Gray's chances of developing and since he was out there to be signed on free..."

St.Johnstone (1) East Fife (1)

St.Johnstone- Michael Halliday 13

East Fife- David Ross 21

MOM- Andy Weir, St.Johnstone

"No doubt in my mind, we should have won this one," sighed Grayling.

"If we could have put more shots on target- we would have," stated Hickey.

"Given how well Andy Weir was playing in goal, I can't fault them too much for trying to make the perfect shot and missing high or wide- Weir was just dazzling today."

East Fife (0) Airdrie United (0)

East Fife- None

Airdrie Utd- None

MOM- Jason Thomson, East Fife

"You can easily see what is wrong looking at the stats page," stated Grayling. "We controlled 60% of the possession in the match- but only managed 4 shots."

"We were doing a pretty bad job of passing in their area," agreed Hickey.

"I was frustrated watching us waste pass after pass."

Dundee (1) East Fife (1)

Dundee- Richard Walker 90

East Fife- David Gray 16

MOM- Chris Snow, East Fife

"Argh! We play so hard and then we give up a goal to a 10-man side on a corner!" fumed Grayling.

"If John Sutton hadn't gotten injured, I think we might have won the match- because he is always in the right place on corners," commented Hickey.

"It was there for the taking, and we didn't- again."

"Injuries have hit hard of late," sighed Grayling.

"I saw the training room. Chris Snow is now out too?" asked Hickey.

"Yes, joining Brian Mackay, Alex Rawcliffe, Craig Connell, John Sutton and Steven Hogg."

Terk- Thanks, no sunshine yet icon_smile.gif

Didn't get the email, so please send it again. Thx icon_smile.gif

East Fife (2) Partick Thistle (2)

East Fife- Brian Graham 46 Mathew Birley 73

Partick- Graham Weir 6,33

MOM- Greg Ross, Partick Thistle

"It was a great fightback for us- to come back from 2-0- but I hate that a win was stolen from us by the linesman's call," said Grayling with a disappointed shake of his head.

"I still don't see how he could call offside on that- everyone was back because of the corner, Jason Thomson fires his shot off the crossbar and Graham whips the rebound in- their backline never left the six-yard box because of how quick it happened- and they call Graham for offides," glowered Hickey.

"Still, if we defend Weir like we did in the second half- we wouldn't have had to fight back. He just seemed to have free reign in the first half."

"I think the difference in the second half was the introduction of Andrew Duffy. Adam Strachan seemed very tentative with the ball."

Ross County (2) East Fife (0)

Ross County- Chris Templeman 9,45

East Fife- None

MOM- Chris Templeman, Ross County

"Templeman put us to the sword- again," grumbled Hickey.

"With the loss of Sutton, we are having a difficult time matching up with powerful forwards," agreed Grayling.

"We didn't get the same kind of effort in the second half that we got against Partick."

"True, and we really didn't have that many good scoring chances in the match as our midfield play wasn't that good."

Dundee United (3) East Fife (2)

Dundee Utd- Christopher Jeffrey 5 Fabio Ferreira 8 Dayne Robertson 22

East Fife- Brian Graham 27 Craig O'Reilly 31

MOM- Fabio Ferreira, Dundee United

"We dug ourselves too deep of a hole in the early going," murmured Grayling.

"Lousy defending again and Craig Farr not coming up with the big saves- though Farr did play well enough to keep us in the match after we got close," replied Hickey.

"It was disappointing to get close and then not be able to equalize."

East Fife (0) Clyde (0)

East Fife- None

Clyde- None

MOM- Craig Brown, Clyde

"I thought that we would win for sure when Gary Sheilds was sent off at 38 minutes," stated a frustrated Hickey.

"Me too. Their backline was very good in assisting Josh Lillis," offered Grayling.

"We wasted our best chances with more poor shooting. We also should have launched more shots at Lillis."

East Fife (1) Livingston (1)

East Fife- Brian Graham 75

Livingston- Robert Snodgrass 44

MOM- Robert Snodgrass, Livingston

"This has been a maddening stretch," sighed Grayling. "We played well enough to easily win the match, but Snodgrass got loose at the far post for the goal and we were fortunate to be able to fight back for the draw."

"It is all about playing a full 90+ minutes of focused defense- something we have not been doing of late," grumbled Hickey.

"Time to get the club to break out of this funk we seem to be in- we haven't won in 8 matches."

flipstyle- thanks very much, glad you enjoyed it icon_smile.gif

Hamilton (1) East Fife (1)

Hamilton- Hal Robson-Kanu 44

East Fife- Craig Connell 41

MOM- David McEwan, Hamilton

Grayling just shook his head, "I don't know what more we can do Eddie. Our luck just isn't there right now. We spend another match with the other side only having 10 men from the 32nd minute and still only come away with a 1-1 draw."

Hickey sighed and nodded, "Same story, new match. We made a bad defensive mistake and Paul Martin failed to fully mark out Robson-Kanu and they get the equalizer. We miss a penalty kick, hit the post, hit the crossbar and see the other keeper wind up with the MOM honours for his brilliant work in the second half."

"I know the boys are as frustrated as we are. We have played well enough to deserve better results, but have little to show for our fine efforts of late."

East Fife (3) St.Johnstone (2)

East Fife- Steve Davis 12 David Ross 65,80

St.Johnstone- Robert Sinclair 16 Andy Jackson 48

MOM- David Ross, East Fife

"I have to admit I thought our spirit was a bit crushed when Clark Kay passed directly to Andy Jackson in our area and Jackson put the ball away past Chris Snow. It was a crushing moment," said Hickey.

"I was worried too. We had played well, but were only 1-1 at halftime after allowing Sinclair to sneak in and deflect the free kick past Snow. I know the crowd certainly heard Snow's scream of anger echoing all the way up in the far reaches," replied Grayling.

"They proved me wrong- especially the great work of Steve Davis and David Ross- in allowing us to celebrate our first match in the newly remodeled New Bayview with a fightback 3-2 win."

"Dens Park was a nice play to play, but I am glad to be home at New Bayview."

"Davis made a great play to skin Antony Sweeney and then cross to Ross for the equalizer. For that play alone, I thought he should have received MOM honours."

"It was a toss-up, Ross made a great shot on the match winner. It was nice to finally get another win."

Scottish First Division 30 matches played 6 remaining

1- Partick Thistle 59 pts (+19)

2- Dundee United 57 pts (+20)

3- East Fife 42 pts (+5)

4- Livingston 39 pts (+4)

5- Airdrie United 38 pts (-3)

6- Clyde 37 pts (-2)

</pre>

East Fife (0) Dundee (0)

East Fife- None

Dundee- None

MOM- Stephen Henderson, Dundee

"If Craig O'Reilly finishes any of his 3 excellent scoring chances, this is a win for us," flatly stated Grayling.

"Dundee played hard- obviously trying to impress their new Manager- but this one should have been a win," agreed Hickey.

"They are in last place for a reason, and yes- we should have won the match."

Partick Thistle (1) East Fife (1)

Partick- Derek Young 58

East Fife- Steve Davis 1

MOM- Mathew Birley, East Fife

"Beginning with the positives- for a change- we outplayed a club that is in 1st place and desperately needed a win to keep off surging Dundee United. We should have beaten them," commented Grayling.

"We played a great match, with two exceptions- the penalty kick that Craig Connell missed after Alan Archibald tripped Davis in the area- and the goal they scored when Graham Weir headed down and Young snapped his shot past Snow," replied Hickey.

"Their goal was a good one. It wasn't so much a bad play on our part as a very good one on their part. Still, Steve Davis had a wonderful chance when he rounded Kenny Arthur late in the match- but then he hit the outside of the post, that was another one we should have had."

"I forgot about that- but you're right. In Steve's defense- he was playing with a minor injury."

"I know he was- so was David Ross- but they both begged me to stay in the match and I thought that was the best choice, so I will live with the results. This may have been a draw, but at least this one was a *good* draw."

"It pushed Partick into 2nd place- as they are even with Dundee United, but trailing by 3 in goal differential."

Chairman William Gray cleared his voice and began, "Welcome, Gentleman- and Lady- of the Press. I would like to make a brief announcement and then I will take a few questions. We are pleased to announce that Manager Lewis Grayling has accepted a new contract to continue managing East Fife for the next 4 seasons. On behalf of both myself and the East Fife Board, we would like to acknowledge and thank Manager Grayling for the terrific improvement in the club's fortunes and we look forward to seeing where Manager Grayling can take us in the next 4 seasons. Now, a few questions- yes?"

"Is it true that the club is in good financial condition?"

"I can confirm that is very much the case. Under Manager Grayling's stewardship the bottom line is quite well off."

"Will the club become a fully Professional club this summer?"

"That decision has not been made yet. I can tell you the matter will be under serious consideration."

"Is it true that New Bayview received an award for its design?"

"I am very pleased to tell you that is the case. Our architect's did a wonderful job- and the builders made it a reality. It truly is a fine place for our fans to watch a football match."

Airdrie United (1) East Fife (0)

Airdrie Utd- Gary Twigg 84

East Fife- None

MOM- Mark Howard, Airdrie United

"We missed our chances and then blew the coverage on a free kick- it all equals another disappointing loss in a match we could have won," commented a clearly frustrated Grayling.

"It's too bad that we did so many things right in the match, but had nothing to show for our good efforts. Our passing was very good, but our finishing wasn't today," replied Hickey.

"We are very close to becoming a very good side, but we have to prove we can win these type of close matches and we haven't shown that yet."

Clyde (2) East Fife (1)

Clyde- Paul Cahillane 3 Dougie Imrie 5

East Fife- Michael Hall 39

MOM- Joshua Lillis, Clyde

"Same verse, different match," said a tight-lipped Grayling. "We give away 2 goals this time and can't rally because the other keeper is bl*ody brilliant."

"The first goal was terrible. Michael Hall passed it right to Cahillane in our area- he had an easy time scoring," answered Hickey.

"The second goal wasn't any better as John Sutton and Adam Tann just looked at each other as Imrie parked between them to score past Snow."

pagie77- Believe they were Division 2...

East Fife (1) Dundee United (0)

East Fife- Craig Connell 20

Dundee Utd- None

MOM- Clark Kay, East Fife

"That was a great win for us," said an enthused Hickey.

"They pinned us back in our end for long stretches, but we played steady defense and Chris Snow was excellent in goal," agreed Grayling.

"Craig Connell's goal was a dazzling one. I really think he could be a good one for us."

"I would agree with you on that. He and Steven Hogg have really shown well as our main center mid tandem."

"Partick Thistle has got to be kicking themselves. Their loss to Livingston could have put them in first if they had won instead."

"Well, it gives them a chance in their final match at least."

East Fife (1) Ross County (0)

East Fife- Steve Davis 13

Ross County- None

MOM- Steve Davis, East Fife

"Great way to close out the season- with a nice win," said a pleased Grayling.

"Steve Davis could easily have had a hat-trick, we really should have won by more," replied Hickey.

"Jonathan Brown missed a sitter when their keeper Craig Samson handed him the ball at the edge of the area. But the win did take us into 3rd place when Livingston wound up with a 1-1 draw to close."

Scottish First Division Final

1- Dundee United 68 pts (+24)

2- Partick Thistle 63 pts (+10)

3- East Fife 50 pts (+5)

4- Livingston 49 pts (+5)

5- St.Johnstone 47 pts (-1)

6- Airdrie United 46 pts (-4)

</pre>

"At least our Reserves did well- as they captured the Reserves Group 2 title with a 3-0 win today. Nice job Eddie!" said Grayling to Eddie Hickey.

"I am sorry Eddie, but at this point I have not yet reached a decision on whether you will be offered a new contract," said Grayling quietly.

"Why?" asked Hickey bitterly. "I have done well with the Reserves and Under-19s."

"You have done well. The problem is that I haven't seen any improvement in the areas you are training in- no matter the portion of the club. I also am not sure you are a keen evaluator of the club's talent- something I depend on you to provide me."

"So, you are letting me go like Francis Sharp?"

"Eddie, I will consider what I want to do- and I really need a week or two away from the club to make up my mind- and then I will get with you. I won't leave you in limbo."

"Did you hear that we had 4 players selected as starters on the Scottish First Division Team of the Year?" asked Hickey excitedly.

"Yes, they just called me and let me know. It is a proud moment for East Fife football to hear that Chris Snow, Jason Thomson, Mathew Birley and Steven Hogg were all selected as starters," replied Grayling.

"It appears that St.Johnstone are about to become a behemoth competitor," murmured Grayling.

"Hmm?" asked Hickey.

"The report is that Moroccan businessman Mohamed Cherkouai is about to splash out 1.5 Million to buy out the present owners. He has promised 54 Million in transfer funding for the side once he is the owner."

"Youch. We have a tough enough time without that kind of competition in Division 1."

"I am a little relieved that the St.Johnstone talks failed," offered Hickey.

"As was I. We really don't need a competitor that could strong-arm the rest of Division 1 around," replied Grayling.

"I am sorry Eddie. It was a very difficult decision, but I am going to have to let you go as Assistant Manager," said a tired looking Grayling.

Hickey replied tersely, "I understand Lewis. I am disappointed, but I do understand you have to make your choices."

flipstyle - *chuckle* I usually don't fire my Assistant Mgr, but what I included was true- the areas he was coaching the players weren't showing any improvement and his player judgement had me unhappy with him- so out he goes icon_smile.gif Thanks much icon_smile.gif

"I appreciate you accepting the position Andy," commented Grayling to newly appointed Assistant Manager Andy Watson.

"It is nice to be working with an up and coming club," replied Watson.

"I felt it was important to have a respected Scot Assistant here. We need a local hand, a steady hand working with me to develop the club."

"Our first addition of the summer transfer season," stated Grayling.

"I am still learning the club. Who is joining us," asked Watson.

"We signed 22 year old DC Danny Woods, after his contract with Ft.William expired. The scouts and I believe that Woods will bolster our center defense."

"Another new addition today Andy," stated Grayling.

"Who would that be?" asked Watson.

"20 year old DC,DM David Hall. He will be joining us from Norther Irish side Crumlin United- he cost 2K to purchase."

"Quite a crowd in our center defense."

"It was the weakest area on our side. I wanted options there this season."

"John Sutton was selected as Fans' Player of the Year," offered Watson.

"John was our key player last season, so the selection was a good one," replied Grayling. "The disappoiniting thing was the Board made no mention of us becoming a Professional club- instead of Semi-Professional. I am a bit frustrated by that."

"I can understand that given our financial position. Still, if we go out and prove to them that we should be considered among the Professional clubs..."

"Good point."

"As you have noticed Alan, it is very hard to draw quality players to a Semi-Professional side," stated Grayling.

"I noticed. Still, getting 19 year old DRL Craig Young on free transfer will help our depth- he is a quality youngster.

"I thought so too. One of the hardest aspects is that the Board refuses to allow our scouts trips outside of Scotland. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to see all these 2nd and 3rd Division sides scouting England and the other Isle nations- and we are stranded here with no other choices at present."

"Another addition today Andy," offered Grayling.

"Who is that?" asked Watson.

"19 year old SC John Flowers. He had just been released from the Dundee youth program."

"He has some good physical skills at least."

"Only one new addition- through a previous signing," commented Grayling.

"I heard. 24 year old SC Taiwo Atienyo. He is a solid leftfooter and should help at least with cover."

"18 year old WB/AML Mark Guild and 18 year old AM/FC Scott Burke are joining us today. They were both released from the Hearts youth program," stated Grayling.

"Do you think they will be ready to contribute this season?" asked Watson.

"Truthfully- no. Still, they are both promising youngsters and we need to keep adding what ever we can for the future."

"That was an uneven friendly," sighed Grayling.

"It could have been better, could have been worse," offered Watson.

"You're right Andy. There were some good moments and some poor ones- I guess the 1-1 draw with Albion Rovers was a fair result."

"Two dodgy calls and the boys wind up disappointed," grumbled Watson.

"I am not disappointed and I told them that," commented Grayling. "Losing 3-2 to Celtic despite those two bad calls is a good showing in my book. I am disappointed with the play of David Hall and Adam Tann in the second half- both those goals were leaving a man unmarked at the edge of the six-yard box."

"That penalty call in the first half stunk. It was as bad a call as the non-offside call on their last goal."

"It isn't worth protesting Andy. It was still only a friendly- that wound up netting us a lot of funds."

"That was nice result to get. A 1-0 win over BSP Kilmarnock is a good result for us," said a pleased Grayling.

"Nicky Smith scored a nice goal to win it for us in the second half," agreed Watson.

"A nice effort on the road, 3-0 over Berwick was a decent result," said a happy Watson.

"It was an easy one- when you pot 3 goals in the first 13 minutes," replied Grayling.

"The thing I was most happy about was that we never let off on the pressure- even after the early lead."

"We finally got the player I wanted to help out in center defense," said a pleased Grayling.

"Who would that be?" asked Watson.

"23 year old DC Andrew Considine. I was surprised, but St.Johnstone only signed him to a one-year contract last season and he was unhappy there- so they accepted our 5K transfer bid for him and we managed to work out an equitable contract."

"What are we going to do with all our center defenders?"

"Some are going, or at least I will try to find new homes for them. I know Airdrie was interested in Adam Tann- so that might be our starting point."

"I hear we have a new keeper as well?"

"Yes, we signed 21 year old GK John Gibson after Dundee United released him. With him, Chris Snow and Craig Farr- I think we have a solid trio of keepers. Brian Mackay will be on the transfer list."

"I would consider a scoreless draw hosting Falkirk a solid result," commented a content Grayling.

"Falkirk outplayed us overall, but we did a lot of things right on defense," answered Watson.

"Getting good work out of Chris Snow and John Gibson had a lot to do with the result."

"Though it was only Vale of Leithen, winning 6-0 at New Bayview was a nice confidence booster," observed Grayling.

"Six different goal scorers too," agreed Watson.

"Only one friendly left, but so far the club seems to be gelling fine."

"The totalbet.com odds are out," offered Andy Watson.

"How do we fare?" asked Lewis Grayling.

"Well, Aberdeen is 4-6. Partick is 6-4. Livingston 7-4. St.Johnstone 2-1. Then us at 6-1, they expect a midtable finish. Airdrie is 14-1."

"That is the Board's expectation as well- midtable finish."

"I have been meaning to ask- how are our overall finances?"

"Very good actually. The club is 9.4 Million in the black and we have a 3.7 Million transfer budget. The Board's weekly wage budget is 45K a week, but our current weekly wages are only 26.5K a week."

"With all that they didn't turn the club Professional?" asked Watson incredulously.

"That was their choice again this season, to remain Semi-Professional. It makes it very hard to attract the quality players to help us improve- but I still believe we have a better side than last season."

"More player movement today Andy," commented Grayling.

"One coming, one going?" asked Watson.

"Yes. Coming here- along with 2K- will be 21 year old Northern Irish DC,SC Paul McCrink from Dumbarton for Mark McAlpine."

"Hmm, Mark is an explosive player, but he didn't show me any stamina at all in training. I don't know anything about McCrink."

"The scouts liked him enough to convince me to accept him in the deal."

"Stephen Tulloch will be moving to Bangor. They paid us 4K for him," said Grayling to Watson.

"I didn't think he had much of a chance to earn a spot on the Senior side..."

"Bad news though. Craig Farr broke a finger in training today- He will likely miss the first two months of the season."

"For a broken finger?"

"You didn't see it. It was bad..."

"The Cowdenbeath fans sure liked the signing," stated Watson.

"It was a bargain price for a talented defender. Only 3K for Gary Wild was inexpensive, but he needed a chance and just wasn't going to get it here," replied Grayling.

"Well, we will get to see Adam Tann again soon," offered Grayling.

"How's that? I thought we sold him today," asked Watson.

"Clyde bought him for 5K, they are our opening day match up in Division 1 play."

"Ah, I see."

"That was a good way to wind up the friendlies- with a last minute 1-0 win over St.Mirren in front of our fans," commented a pleased Grayling.

"A lot of things went right- but mostly we played solid defense today," answered Watson.

"Especially Andrew Considine. He really impressed me with his mature play at the end of the match."

"Our opening day lineup against Clyde will be:

GK- Chris Snow

DR- Jason Thomson

DL- Clark Kay

DC- John Sutton

Dc- Danny Woods (more training time for Andrew Considine before he breaks into the starting lineup)

MR- David Gray (Mathew Birley injured)

ML- Michael Hall

MC- Craig Connell

MC- Steven Hogg

SC- Steve Davis

SC- Kevin Hay

Sub- David Ross

Sub- Nicky Smith

Sub- Andrew Duffy

Sub- John Gibson

Sub- Brian Gilfillan

"

"Looks about right to me," replied Watson.

"He will help give us cover on the rightwing," stated Grayling.

"I have seen 21 year old AMR Hal Robson-Kanu play before. He will be an asset to the club," replied Watson.

"Morton seems to like our players a lot," observed Watson.

"Well, 3K is still inexpensive for Stevie Nicholas. He should do well at Morton," replied Grayling.

"Wasn't 4k a little cheap to let Adam Strachan go?" asked Watson.

"Maybe, but he was already unhappy and it was time to find him a new home- Montrose 4K bid was the best outside our Division," answered Grayling.

"Another one to Morton?" asked Watson.

"Yes, Morton paid us 3K for Ryan Blackadder," answered Grayling.

"Blackadder wasn't going to earn a place on our Senior side."

East Fife (1) Clyde (1)

East Fife- Adam Tann 21-OG

Clyde- Ashley Vincent 52

MOM- Chris Snow, East Fife

"We played such a good first half, and then such a poor second half," grumbled Grayling.

"Chris Snow earned his MOM honours- he kept us in for splitting the points today," answered Watson.

"We couldn't get our wings free in the second half, we need to work on that."

"I think he will be a good addition to the midfield," stated Watson after looking over the scouting report.

"Well, 26 year old DMC Scott McLaughlin only cost us 16K to Morton. I guess they were happy to get some of their money back after all the purchases they made from us," observed Grayling.

"We also signed 29 year old SC Peter MacDonald?"

"Yes, he was available on free transfer for a modest weekly wage."

Hamilton (0) East Fife (1)

Hamilton- None

East Fife- Steven Hogg 60

MOM- Steven Hogg, East Fife

"Great match and a great goal to give us the win," said a happy Grayling.

"Steven Hogg made a nice deflection on the cross from Clark Kay," agreed Watson.

"Chris Snow was excellent in goal again when we needed him."

"It helped a lot when Stephen Milne earned the 13th minute redcard for that elbow."

"That call made a big difference in the match."

East Fife (1) Arbroath (0) Challenge Cup 1st Round

East Fife- Craig O'Reilly 51

Arbroath- None

"It should have been more goals for us, but I will settle for the terrific one that Craig O'Reilly scored," stated Grayling.

"We had many chances to put the match away, but at least we still held the lead when the final whistle sounded," replied Watson.

"True. It was a solid effort from our backline to support John Gibson gaining a clean sheet in his debut."

"How long will we lose Steven Davis for?"

"It was a fractured cheekbone- at least a month."

East Fife (2) St.Johnstone (1)

East Fife- Kevin Hay 18 Steven Hogg 28-P

St.Johnstone- Andy Jackson 12

"Excellent fightback for us. Especially after a bitterly protested first goal for them," offered Watson.

"Jackson was offside, but I can't complain too much after all the rest of the calls," replied Grayling.

"Well, Jamie Harris should have been sent off that first time- when Hogg converted the penalty kick. He was the last man."

"He kind of made up for it by sending Michael Halliday off for a nothing foul at 61 minutes."

"That call really kept them from getting an effective rally in the second half. How bad is Clark Kay?"

"Broken arm. He will be out at least a month- likely longer."

East Fife (1) Hamilton (1) League Cup 2nd Round (East Fife Advances on Penalties)

East Fife- Peter MacDonald 18

Hamilton- James McArthur 64

MOM- Alex McColl, Hamilton

"We made that a lot harder than it should have been," grinned a tired, but happy Grayling.

"I thought we really were going to seize the match when Peter MacDonald scored his debut goal, but then we just could not find another one- despite a wealth of chances," observed Watson.

"You know Andy, I think that is the first time we have won a penalty shoot-out since I have been here at East Fife."

"It was quite decisive. Us hitting our first three and them missing and seeing John Gibson saving two of the three."

"Hmm, that was a bit unlucky of a draw," muttered Watson.

"The Board loved seeing Celtic as our opponent in the 3rd round of the League Cup- since the match will be at New Bayview," replied Grayling.

"I don't suppose it matters- if we had any pretensions of winning the League Cup- we will have to go through the bigger clubs."

"I finally found a new home for Christopher Gilligan," said Grayling.

"Where is he off to?" asked Watson.

"Accrington. They pay us nothing up front, but we retain a 40% sell-on clause."

"Seems reasonable enough. He was another who wasn't going to crack our Senior side."

Queen of the South (1) East Fife (3)

Queen Sth- Stephen Dobbie 88

East Fife- Craig O'Reilly 23 Kevin Hay 45 Steven Hogg 76

"That was a very good match on our part, though I wish David Hall had stayed focused at the end- because then Dobbie wouldn't have scored to ruin a deserved clean sheet by Chris Snow," offered a pleased Grayling.

"We did a lot of good work- on both sides of the ball," agreed Watson. "I was especially impressed with Chris Snow's pass/goal kick to set up Kevin Hay's goal- that was incredible vision and execution to put the goal kick in the perfect place for him to blast past Lawrence Mathewson."

"Steven Hogg was his usual dazzling self today. I was glad when he got that goal- after the other shot he blasted off the crossbar."

"That wasn't good news," sighed Grayling.

"What?" asked Watson worridly.

"Chris Snow suffered virtually the same injury as Craig Farr. He broke his finger and will likely have to miss a couple months of play."

"Ah, that hurts. That youngster is a special keeper and really is the glue that helps hold the club together."

"I am happier about my decision to go out and sign John Gibson now though. I feel that he will be a competent replacement with both Snow and Farr out."

"And not many clubs can boast a 4th keeper of the quality of Michael Hilton."

"True, Michael could also become an asset again."

"Congratulations Lewis!" exclaimed Watson.

"Hmm?" asked Grayling as he looked up from his papers.

"You're the Division 1 Manager of the Month! Not only that, but Steven Hogg was selected as Player of the Month."

Grayling smiled, "I am happier for Steven actually. Really, I am content with our strong start- the honours can wait as long as we keep winning."

East Fife (0) Elgin (1) Challenge Cup 2nd Round

East Fife- None

Elgin- Paul Hamilton 13

MOM- David Gage, Elgin

"We allow them one lousy shot on goal- and that winds up the difference," fumed Watson.

"It was the same story I saw all too much last season. Paul Martin failed to mark or try to tackle Hamilton on the play and that gave him an easy chance in close on John Gibson," said a clearly disappointed Grayling.

"We didn't help ourselves with all the time we missed the target- Jonathan Brown and Brian Graham spent the first half doing that."

"Not only that, but Graham was offsides five times himself in the first 20 minutes. That is why I brought on Peter MacDonald at half."

East Fife (3) Airdrie United (1)

East Fife- Andrew Duffy 7 Steven Hogg 23 Craig O'Reilly 80

Airdrie Utd- Shaun Fagan 47

"Another brilliant match from Craig O'Reilly," observed Grayling. "His goal was superb and really put the punctuation point on the match."

"I still think the key point in the match was when John Sutton cleared the ball off the line in first half injury time. Especially given the quick goal they got from Shaun Fagan, this could have been a much different match if they scored before half."

"Kevin Hay played well up front too and his pass was what set up O'Reilly for his goal."

Partick Thistle (0) East Fife (2)

Partick- None

East Fife- Andrew Duffy 30 Mathew Birley 53

MOM- Danny Woods, East Fife

"This was a fine win for us," stated a happy Grayling. "We showed patience and determination all match."

"Both goals were nice ones from flowing plays," replied Watson.

"I thought our backline and especially Danny Woods anchored us today."

"Jason Thomson will be out awhile- likely a month- after suffering a bad fracture of his right arm."

"That was a good free transfer signing," commented Watson.

"I have liked William Soutar for a long time. When St.Mirren released him, it was an easy decision to come to terms with him."

"He will help us. I would guess that is why Paul Martin moved to the Reserves."

"Exactly."

East Fife (0) Celtic (1) League Cup 3rd Round

East Fife- None

Celtic- Stephan Connor 90

MOM- Mark Wilson, Celtic

"The fans were appreciative of the effort Andy, but both you and I know we could have won this match," sighed Grayling.

"Iain Vigurs had a bad match, but his choice to not challenge Stephan Connor- when he drilled in the match winner from 30 yards- was not only bad, it was against your specific instructions to challenge everyone anywhere on the pitch," replied Watson.

"Connor was a problem all day, but mostly because the officials weren't going to call him offside- ever! If our forwards had been that far out in front, there is no doubt in my mind they get called. Instead they just ignore two blatant offsides and we were fortunate he didn't score on either of them."

"Even with the goal, Craig Farr played a fine match in his first one back. He kept us in there to the end."

Livingston (1) East Fife (0)

Livingston- Jamie Hatch 71

East Fife- None

MOM- Jamie Hatch, Livingston

"Well, if you are going to get beat on one shot- at least hope that one shot was a good one- and there is no question that Hatch's bank shot off the inside of the right upright was a pretty goal," grumbled Grayling.

"We had three golden chances ourselves, but Alan Martin came up with the save each time," offered Watson.

"It wasn't our best match, but we worked hard and I can't be too displeased with our effort."

Archived