I have Guti in my first season as Aston Villa. He's one of the best playmakers in the world irl but in the game his average rating is 6.7 or so for me.He's been terrible. I play him at MC usually with high attacking mentality (with an MCd next to him), and a few times I've played him as an AMC, but it doesn't matter. He's not getting the assists and he's playing poorly. How do I get him to play better?

give him time? give him less attacking mentality.. and make sure he's set as playmaker if your tactic allows it...

the defensive mid shouldnt be anymore then 3 notches more defensive (mentality) then him and wingers no more then 3 above..... this insures your midfield is kept as a whole and therefore stronger

would also love to know how muchb you paid for him?

give him time? give him less attacking mentality.. and make sure he's set as playmaker if your tactic allows it...

the defensive mid shouldnt be anymore then 3 notches more defensive (mentality) then him and wingers no more then 3 above..... this insures your midfield is kept as a whole and therefore stronger

would also love to know how muchb you paid for him?

Paid 3mil or so for him because he wanted to leave madrid and madrid offered him out.

As for the mentalty thing i know that. The tactic im using is a 442 from described in the tactics and theorems thread, the one by one of the italian managers, attacking but not crazily. DC's have 8 clicks of mentality, DR/DL have normal mentality, MCD has like 8 or 9 or whatever, MCA has 12 or 13 or 14, and ML/MR have one above normal (so 11), FCd has normal or one above normal 11, and FCa has 15 or 16 or so clicks mentality.

I ahve been using Guti as a playmaker sometimes but Beckham is my best player and he does well as a playmaker too. Can you use two playmakers? Like when you put "beckham "1"" playmaker and Guti "2" on teh list, does that mean Guti is only the playmaker when Beckham doesn't play, like a backup playmaker? Or does tat mean two playmakers? Anyway even when Guti is a playmaker and I set his passing to highly direct it doesnt matter (or if passing is short). he barely has any assists. in fact his long shots have been better than his passing. he's had three or four great long shot goals this saeson, and less assists than that even probably.

only one playmaker.... the second spot is just when guti isnt on the pitch.. same for targetman btw

if he isnt assisting... its probably due to the fact your tactic is utilising the other positions to create chances... i.e wingers and deep lying midfielders (which get more space)

Yeah maybe I should try focusing play through the middle but I mean I have Zhirkov and Ribery on the flanks, or Guardado if I want, or Marquinhos, who has been my best player... In real life Guti does need his team to revolve around him in order to have an impact. The team should revolve around the team, everyone, and when each person gets a touch they should do what is required of them, and when Guti gets the ball and someone makes a run he should be able to make the perfect pass to him like he can do in real life.

It's not like his attributes are bad. Could they have given him better mental attributes? Yes a littel but they're still good, and i compared them to Xavi and in terms of hte things that pertain to passing most of them are there with Guti too (he's just lacking in the decisions or anticipation attribute a little bit in comparison, dont remember which).

But he's got the attributes to be a great playmaker. 20 first touch, 20 creativity, 20 passing...

so what's the problem?

Here is a screenshot of Guti, a well as his tactics/player instructions.

GUTI

Picture33.png

PERSONAL INSTRUCTIONS

Picture31.png

Note: Look at his "league" average rating. It's in the 6.6 range. That is just ridiculous. And 3 assists in 22 appearances. Guti is an assist per game player (assist per 90 minutes anyway). He is truly one of the great passers of our time.

He's definitely settled. I don't know if he speaks english but he speaks the international language of football. Vagner Love just came from russia and he's brazilian (a brazilian doing well in Russia currently). 19 year old kid Marquinhos left his home or wahtever he left brazil and did great in a villa. anyway he's settled and yes he does speak english. it says spanish and english.

i gave you the benefit of the doubt tbh.... but i have this thing where i cant take someone who claims to have been able to buy the following players all in the first season seriously

guti

ribery

zhirkov

love

marquinos

guardardo

and god knows who else that hasnt been mentioned in this thread alone

It's seriously easy to make signings with Villa, I've just got to the first league game of the second season on my villa save, Won everything i entered in the first, My team in that season was a 4-4-2 consisting of :-

Villar,

Young/De silvestri, Fazio/Marcano/Laursen, Filipe/Mattock

Milner/Fegiouhli (sp?), Veloso,Moutinho/Dzagoev, Young/Marin

Vagner love, Milvesyki/Abanglhor

Made 30 mill on barry, 8 mill on shorey, 15 mill on cuellar and Curtis davies, most i paid out was 16 mill over 24 months for Dzagoev.

Anyway back on topic, i'd say Guti is being used to close down the opposistion down too much, even when your team does recieve the ball he's likely going to be in a posistion thats closer too the opposistion than he'd want to be to pick a pass.

You know why Guti doesnt do as well as his stats suggest? He's just one footed, close him down always and show him onto his right, he'd not do well in real life or in FM in the premiership. In Spain he is given all the time in the world, thats the kind of defense they play in spain, and yes he is gifted but in premier league he just wouldnt be given that kind of time and if you show him onto his right he's greatly limited, thats probably why Guti is playing so poorly in England not to mention he isn't exactly a physical specimen hes probably getting muscled off the ball all the time by the Lee Cattermole's and Darren Fletchers of the premiership

Maybe he is trying too many through balls and is just forcing things a tad by trying to thread too many pinpoint passes? He already has 'tries killer balls often' as a PPM, so I'd just leave through balls at mixed and let him use his own judgment in when to try for that killer pass.

Another idea is that maybe his passing is too direct, 75% pass completion is pretty poor for someone with 20 passing, I generally favour a shorter passing game when I control highly technical teams as this allows me to dominate possession and the passing % is much higher as well, which would help ratings a bit.

Oh, and definitely give free role a try as DJJOEYT suggested.

i gave you the benefit of the doubt tbh.... but i have this thing where i cant take someone who claims to have been able to buy the following players all in the first season seriously

guti

ribery

zhirkov

love

marquinos

guardardo

I got Rooney and Aguero in my second transfer window too :), and mexes in the first. What can I say I'm gifted. I had about 100mil or so of total of transfer budget in the first transfer window, and every signing I made was 1mil and x amount of 24 months, which means I basically had twice my transfer budget. So I was able to spend 200mil over 24 months of transfer money in the first tranasfer window.

Ribery is "not interested" in joing villa, and he was getting paid 145k per week at bayern. But because I'd gotten my balance up to around 100mil and because I had plenty of wage budget difference, I was allowed to offer up to 115k per week as a max contract offer, plus somewhere around 20k per appearance and 20k goal, plus a huge signing on fee, and Ribery accepted it under the condition that Bayern Munich pay him 8k per week as well for accepting a "lower" offer. Now it's my second season and Kaka is "not interested" in signing with me, and he just signed a contract with Milan for less than he was getting before (before it was like 150k a week or so, now its 130k), and for some reason maybe because I loaned a bunch of my players (but can recall them later) so I have a huge wage difference, even though my balance is only around 20million I can offer 130k per week as my max contract offer, so as long as I get the transfer funds I might be able to get Kaka the second season. It doesn't hurt that I qualified for champions league.

you have to keep in mind that aston villa start out with the same level of reputation as man city, and aston villa also has great training facilities, better htan man city i believe, as well as euro cup spot just like man city. So basically anyone who will come to man city at the beginning of the game will come to aston villa, as long as you have the money.

guti

ribery

zhirkov

love

marquinos

guardardo

Free role, passing - mixed, less attacking with at least 2 notches and long shots to rare. Update me just after 2 games.

What do you mean at least two notches? And thanks I will.

Perhaps the problem is not with Guti, but with your other players. How do you play? In other for a playmaker to play well he must be in the right position, with good options to use his passing and set up other players. Using a playmaker without support could kill him.

Perhaps the problem is not with Guti, but with your other players................

Interesting point!

If you want the team to revolve around him, then you need to be carefull with the other players mentalties and settings. To attacking and they will be playing for themselves, to little freedom and they may get stuck if Guti is not within their zone of instructions.

Personally I would play him with a little less mentality, maybe 1 notch, set him as playmaker, tick playmaker, all PI's to mixed (just to start with) and then ensure most players around him are of a lesser mentality. This way they will focus a little more on retaining the ball and getting it to him rather than making something of it themselves.

As always though.... be carefull what you wish for... you may just get it.... and if that 'it' gets injured...... well, its tears at the dinner table.

LAM

BoyledShark give Guti a free role and a mentality that is just into attacking with a creative freedom of two clicks higher than the mentality.

Also your cheating but why lie about it:confused:

? Cheating about what? I sell all my players, buy every player with offers over 24 months, I make sure not to buy anyone before the deadline, so that I can get my balance as high as possible with a huge wage budget difference, then I can offer bigger contracts and get teh bigger players, then I have all the transfers go through all at once.

I DONT CHEAT!

jesus

how can i prove it? I probably have the best ever villa squad by season two in tthe history of fM09 so i would like to prove its validity if there's a way

? Cheating about what? I sell all my players, buy every player with offers over 24 months, I make sure not to buy anyone before the deadline, so that I can get my balance as high as possible with a huge wage budget difference, then I can offer bigger contracts and get teh bigger players, then I have all the transfers go through all at once.

I DONT CHEAT!

jesus

how can i prove it? I probably have the best ever villa squad by season two in tthe history of fM09 so i would like to prove its validity if there's a way

No matter what wayne rooney would not join Villa :rolleyes:

Guti's had only 6 assists this season in real life, playing in the system and club he's been in for his entire career. Why would you expect him to do better than that in different surroundings?

In another game I had I brought in Guti and Ambrioso at Weat Ham. Ambrioso was ok but Guti was truly shocking. Tried him everywhere and with every instruction known to man and he never got any better. Never got a better rating than 6.5. Sold him to Reading and he was awful there as well!!

You are totally wrong.Playmaker is not used like that and you don't understand what is playmaker.If you want to get it please reply me,I will tell you.I think I got the key of how to use playmaker.

Archived