Team Mentality - A thought

Just a quick thought. I have been playing CM/FM for years, and apart from FM07 when I played with a global mentality, I have never moved the Team Mentality slider, I have just set the slider for each individual.

This has just crossed my mind, as I'm on here looking for some tips after hitting a slump. I'm just wondering what effect it will have on my team if I continue to set menaltiy individually, and then also the team.

Any Ideas? Is this the route the rest of you follow?

What Pilsken says.

The general rule is that you "stagger" the individual mentalities to become progressively more attacking the further you go up the pitch. This should ensure a smooth transition from back to front. It doesn't always work.

The global mentality is the "easier" way of producing a solid tactic because everyone in the team moves as one. It's also alot easier to adjust mid-game because you only have one slider to move instead of having six or seven different tactics for various scenarios.

There's no right or wrong answer - it depends what type of manager you are. It's entirely possible to break these rules altogether and still have success on FM. If you are struggling, have a look around this forum for some tactical inspiration. If you just want clarification on how mentalities work as a rule (but NOT how they should be implemented into the game rigidly), read the TT&F thread at the top of the page.

As what the above 2 posters mentioned.

However, I would like to add some small details.

TT&F encourage individual mentalities for some frameworks like RoO etc.

So a reasonable standard tactic setup would look like this:

DC: 8

DR/L:10

MCd:11

MCa: 12

MR/L: 13

FCd: 12

FCa: 14

However, I have noticed that as mentalities dictate the positions of the players, wouldn't a DC with mentality 8 cause a wider gap from the midfield compared to a DC of mentality 10?

This is why some people who employ global mentality find success much easier with individual mentalities.

So, my advice is keep it simple. Only alter the mentalities of players in their squad.

They are many different thoughts on mentality.

In answer to your first question. Individual mentalities overide the team setting in all circumstances bar two. If you set the team mentality to Ultra defensive or Ultra Attacking, then in these cases, it will reverse and overide the individual setting. Youy should notice that there are a few extra clicks on the team setting.

How you set your mentalities depends entirely upon how you wish to play. I, for example, play a 442 with my front 6 all on the same mentality (team), my DC's are then -2 and my WB/FB's are +2.

LAM

Archived