[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

15 minutes ago, LPQR said:

ah you did fall into that black hole of temptation afterall :) what set-up are you using for the libero btw?

I blame the copious amounts of wine I'm consuming in Tuscany!  PM Libre is the base tactic, with PM in Catene the more reserved version.

9eddc1197337ada8f13b8b0a88269f61.png 4bcedfd50f40b73b1548a77615a8db4e.png

PM Libre

9c19c6311ca9f6ead01d12d6f9670932.png

PM in Catene

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for a slightly different coverage of width+some better defensive positioning, try changing the wingers to WM's with 'sit narrow' PI and add the rest of the PI the wingers have. If you have two work-horses on each flank and if your side DM's are quick enough and cover enough ground, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I love the names you've given my tactics :lol: suddenly sounds so much cooler. 

1 minute ago, LPQR said:

for a slightly different coverage of width+some better defensive positioning, try changing the wingers to WM's with 'sit narrow' PI and add the rest of the PI the wingers have. If you have two work-horses on each flank and if your side DM's are quick enough and cover enough ground, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I love the names you've given my tactics :lol: suddenly sounds so much cooler. 

I'll give that a shot.

Glad you like the names...playing off the Grapefruit nonsense that started with @BoxToBox and taking it at least 3 steps too far :lol:

We just lost 1-0 at home to Salernitana...who sit bottom of the table.  We've got some work to do.

Home vs. Atlanta, using PM Libre 2.0 (tweaked to WM-A, with sit narrow + other winger PIs).  

4bc6e7a9a70aaadc56e08a06f6f5fa7a.jpg

fda7683eae2272451a395d959eb8cc0a.jpg

88f5230413820948ba3e20da12625c0e.jpg

1b290925423797525877d84a927d0528.jpg

I really like how high up Marlon (my libero) is playing, and how involved he gets in the attack.  When in possession, the width of my CBs is great to see, as well.

I tend to think that we're falling short due to a lack of talent.  But, we'll see.

(That tactical lineup above couldn't look more Italian if it tried...)

Edited by ManUtd1

And...this is what terrifies me...

652355d451c2463a4edee43e37e85e2b.jpg

The ball has just been played into Mukhtar, and we seem all out of sorts...

2dff90e0b40a05df69aa18f26d3760a7.jpg

Mukhtar took a touch inside and has played it into Cenk (their left forward)...my left wing is still ball-watching...

56b6742e5f3ba9564f284a36d6505b57.jpg

Cenk gathers it and cracks one from 25 yards...as a former keeper, Dragowski seems a little non-chalant for my tastes here...

b72de2b49bc896e98799dc4250884bfa.jpg

...because it was played right at him (stupid camera angle) and held.  

Another concerning setup...

69870ddeff9c2c76ce985699a8f9efb3.jpg

Ighalo gathers up a half-cleared header off of a cross from their right wing, lays it off to Kampl.  We haven't recovered our positions very well.

5b46b108e18a7c55246e3a7b5a7ff510.jpg

Kampl finds Bocchini...

ea419c1183ebbdbdca3c52ab6006046d.jpg

Who dinks it off to Mukhtar for a first-time shot.  2-2.

2d1deed35148dcc2b0aba4c8ca009d00.jpg

All's well that ends well?

f02185c9f79e31ad4f039b46f02cae79.jpg'

0f06f59ccfe471021e1f78efee204232.jpg

83c128cebba438daf3fc2b3845bfe54b.jpg

I have to admit this is probably more "thinking out loud" about tactics than I've ever posted before!  Figure some of you may want to see this stuff.  Curse you, @LPQR! :lol:

The tactics aren't fully fluid yet, which is almost certainly contributing to the concerns I'm having (which may be overblown, I'll readily admit).

9 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

I know I'm a bit late to say this, but that goal from Ludqvist must have stung.

Great progress though and a very interesting tactic.

Thanks, man.  It has been an odd 5 months.  We've got a long ways to go!

I refused to shake Lundqvist's hand afterwards.  He shouldn't have celebrated like that.

Edited by ManUtd1

We're sitting 7th, 1 point behind Sampdoria.  They have a game in hand.  I'm facing Roma in the TIM Cup final, so I'm assured of a spot in the Europa League at this point.  I'd really like to catch Sampdoria, though.  

"Maybe this isn't the time to mess about with tactics," says the angel on my shoulder.  But the devil is whispering sweet nothings in my other ear... 

aye, it seems like your squad doesn't really suit the tactic, sir :)  If work-rate and stamina is an issue and you still want to use the libero, there's plenty of changes you can make to suit your squad. The counter-attacking 1-4-4-1 worked wonders for me last season - all the way until the CL semi-final that is )

Yeah, I may switch it up.  

A nervy 2-1 win over bottom Cesena has pushed us to 6th (gratzi, Palermo), but holy **** are we vulnerable on the counter when the libero is caught in an advanced position.  Three forward formations are also a bit terrifying! :eek:

35dde69fd0facf0d62e6727b4be97e2c.jpg

12 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

7th is amazing work, to be honest, from where you started.

Thanks, man.  We're pushing hard.  I can't wait until the summer arrives, to really spend some time reshaping the squad into what I want.  Not that I know what that is, given my experiments with the libero!

9 minutes ago, LPQR said:

aye, it seems like your squad doesn't really suit the tactic, sir :)  If work-rate and stamina is an issue and you still want to use the libero, there's plenty of changes you can make to suit your squad. The counter-attacking 1-4-4-1 worked wonders for me last season - all the way until the CL semi-final that is )

Hard to disagree...I have to say the neutrals would've enjoyed it.  On occasion, it's been like having a back line comprised soley of David Luiz clones.  That Napoli result may have been an anamoly!

I swear, if one more player comes to my office to complain about training and the tactical changes...we'll hold pre-season in  ******* Yemen.

Oh, they thought I was kidding.  Until I showed them Vito Stavljanin's "scouting reports."  

They genuinely don't know how far I'll go to assert my authority, if need be.

Sixth.  Not sure how we're managing that.  To be fair, Marlon has a point.  The maniacal tactical adventures of the last few matches aren't good for the ol' heart.  

Back to the 4-4-1-1 we'd been training on all season, with a 5-4-1 libero when we need to keep it tight at the back.  Yes, that's the ticket.

Edited by ManUtd1

Barmy For Barney Purple

1bf65a32e49820d936c09fbfdd3b551d.png
ACF Fiorentina
2022-23 Review

All told, it has been a solid start in Italy.  We were given a soft landing in terms of the fixtures, stumbled and righted ourselves to push our way into the Europa League by virtue of our position in Serie A.

But, we have a lot of work to do.  The squad is seriously unbalanced.  Too many overpaid players who simply aren't good enough.  My attempts to implement a libero system as our default tactic were...unsuccessful.  Let's just leave it at that.  The first attempt was abandoned before it truly began, the second after we looked like a pack of meth-heads playing FIFA.  Sure, we could look sharp on occasion, but most of the time it was a disaster waiting to happen.  We've got some solid players coming in, and with a few decent moves I hope to be more competitive.

Ever since Brita took that job with that football tabloid, things have gotten a little quiet around here.  I need to unwind in between scouting trips this summer.  Just a little.  Nothing too overboard.

Goals for 2023-24: Make a run in the Europa League knockout rounds.  Secure a top-4 finish in Serie A, to qualify for the 2023-24 Champions League.

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

Squad|League Overview|Finances Overview|Income Detail|Expenditures Detail|Transfers

Serie A Fixtures 1|Serie A Fixtures 2|TIM Cup Fixtures

Champions League 2022-23 Review

Another year, another team removed from the list of eligible clubs.  This year, it was Diego Simeone's Manchester City.  More than that, they beat Mourinho's United.  On Penalties.  At Old Trafford.

8bd29ab5afeba008f5a35e9ed68c46c6.jpg

de545f1d29c452cdcf1f44fc84640362.png

2a34f7c0060a71dd87219078407ec25c.jpg 65926889c7dbf3e5f9c63bd2c66a573e.jpg

You Broke My Heart, Bobby Manc

Malmo failed to get out of their CL Group this year, and went out in the 2nd knockout round of the Europa League.

d213b469562cc2626076fdfa90cc5f08.png

e6702b663dccc824486223eed7d50e86.png

ccdecec5bd07f50e62de999fe27f6d64.png

Most of my squad has moved on, backfilled by seriously-overpriced players.

bb07c1d7d7dd25a3660987e0048a3796.jpg

In all fairness, Hegi is a beast.  But Malmo spending up to $54M on a player, and then putting him on $74k/week?!  And he isn't even the highest-paid player?!  $30M on a Brazilian keeper, who's on $71k/week?!  That's ridiculous.  That's classic Bobby Manc.  

These violent delights have violent ends, Bobby.

Challenge Overview

89fbeb27cb2ecbc86b88eb30dd167cef.png

ee72415f29aed2a870d81fc1fff69893.png

9 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Depodé sold to Dortmund for only £8.25m and Khayne sold for £7.75m... Oh dear

I know!!! Absolutely tragic. 

38 minutes ago, Sheriff7 said:

You are great as Analyst i should hire you in my save as i cant find anyone good...:lol:

Hahaha...I may be out of a job soon enough, if my little gamble doesn't pay off. Details to follow!

38 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Hahaha...I may be out of a job soon enough, if my little gamble doesn't pay off. Details to follow!

Did you try the little used 2-2-6 formation or something mate? We've all been there... :lol:

35 minutes ago, the--dud said:

Classic ;) What could possibly go wrong? 

I actually ran a topic on these forums a couple of years ago, where I tested that for a couple of seasons. It went better than expected. Lots of clear cut chances and overloading the opponent :cool:

What have I done?  What started out as a simple culling of the excess fat, burning of the dead wood...has turned into a full-blown massacre.

I couldn't help myself.  Adnan Ali?  Not good enough, time to go.  Take Boutobba with you, while you're at it.

But it didn't stop there.  Oh, no, I had the bit in my teeth.  The wine in my gullet.  The interns gasping audibly at my visceral machismo.  Yes, that'll do for me.

Vecino?  Bah, who needs him and his beautiful passing game!  Forsberg?  Bah, Swedish midfielders are the new German midfielders, who were once the new Spanish midfielders.  

Marlon?  For that much, Wolfsburg, you can have Mlakar, too!  You don't want him?  Ok...ok...he's still out of here the useless ****.

What's that, David, you're homesick?  Not any more!!!   Bwahahahahaha!!!  

My dear Nana always said, "don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today."  

But she never managed a club in the Serie A.  The daft ****.

What have I done?!

So, yeah.  I went and did this.

dcd8d81ec99c2f586b5793fbde14267d.jpg

Instead of taking my time to cull the playing squad, my late-June internal squad review turned into a bloodbath.  Instead of bringing in the youngsters and easing them into the side, I went after the 1st team with a blunt axe.   Granted, the kids I've brought in are very talented/promising, as are the youth products I've promoted from within.  But, I just axed a ton of experienced, steady hands who got me to 6th in the Serie A last year.  They're also the same clowns that got my predecessor ****-canned.  So, yeah.  I went and did that.  As if I was playing back in Malmo, where you could get away with this stuff because of the relative strength of the domestic competition.  This is going to be an interesting year, relying so heavily on youth domestically and in the Europa League.  

huge-tiny-.gif

Edited by ManUtd1

21 minutes ago, the--dud said:

It's like the Great Officer Purge! We all know how well that worked out for Stalin :brock: Seriously though, best of luck! 

Stalin could learn a thing or two from our Swedish protagonist...

5 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

hqdefault.jpg

You're cut, you're cut, I like you, which is why it was so hard to cut you.....

I'm definitely pushing for Skittelbrau as a sponsor when I manage in Germany.

1 hour ago, Chantu9Y said:

:lol: the part you wrote about the Swedish/German/Spanish midfielders had me rolling! :applause:bravo sir on cleaning house. Hopefully the young guns can shock the system and step up early

Thanks for reading :D

It's been interesting...let's see how we get on!

Pietro is as insightful as he is handsome on that Vespa.  No wonder my luck with the women of Florence has been so...erratic...  

That being said, snatching 3 points at the San Siro was exactly how to go about silencing the critics and should improve my standing with the local talent.

f2df7024b97ee325184dad8e200306e6.jpg

With arch-enemy Juventus coming to visit tomorrow, we can truly set the...season...yes, that's it...on fire.  The Curva Fiesole will be bouncing.  Especially after those cheating ******** blew their season opener in Turin, losing 1-0 to Bologna of all teams.  Time to steal a march and twist the dagger.

It's the first home match of the year.  The 2nd massive match in a brutal 4-match start to the season -- Milan (away), Juve, Roma (away) and Napoli.  The schedulers must've been laughing their heads off.  We'll see who's laughing in the end.

The lads are ready.  The Curva Fiesole is ready.  Let's do this.

68524_561125603927151_395723693_n.jpg

tumblr_myzdemtLYL1rny7rco2_1280.jpg

Artemio-Franchi.jpg

31 minutes ago, Willigenburg said:

Solid start, with a tough schedule! 

That solid start has turned into an utter nightmare.

76a5c45daab038a0435422ca7a308de4.png

A big win over Zorya in the EL is sandwiched in there, but getting hammered at home by Atalanta is not the way to gear up for a match away to Bayern.  

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

At this rate, I'm likely getting fired in early December.  At the latest.

Big match against 12th place Hellas Verona, and we give up a goal in the first 30 seconds...only to squander chances for the next 90 minutes.  Leaving us in 17th place.

6071bd30a419190dbb6850abe1788eac.jpg

e41353b90ddd04efb6e3cc98f856b39f.jpg