• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A very enjoyable read, can't wait for the next part :thup: :applause:

Just one question though...

1 hour ago, Rashidi said:

If a team is on attacking mentality and you use a FB on auto he will follow the team mentality and you can instruct him to do things that may not be available to other duties. It’s a duty I avoid

Do you avoid the automatic duty for a FB because it's highly customizable, or because it follows the team mentality? Or maybe for some other reason?

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

A very enjoyable read, can't wait for the next part :thup: :applause:

Just one question though...

Do you avoid the automatic duty for a FB because it's highly customizable, or because it follows the team mentality? Or maybe for some other reason?

cos it's too customisable, makes me feel weird.

To give you an example. I could play on attacking mentality which makes my FB attacking, then I could tell him to cross rarely and cross from deep. There are so many things you can do with these automatic roles, that i just don't like playing that way. I already feel like i am at an advantage when I PI some roles, this is a bit too much customisation for me.

Just updated post one with BWM, Regista, RPM and more examples of the BWM

@Marshdweller Not really, for some of the roles the principles yes, but they were reworked for FM19, so they behave differently. For example Anchorman its a lot more tighter than it was in FM18 and the BWM, and quite a few roles received PI changes as well.

16 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Just updated post one with BWM, Regista, RPM and more examples of the BWM

@Marshdweller Not really, for some of the roles the principles yes, but they were reworked for FM19, so they behave differently. For example Anchorman its a lot more tighter than it was in FM18 and the BWM, and quite a few roles received PI changes as well.

I'm not seeing the Roaming Playmaker.

3 minutes ago, Becanes said:

I'm not seeing the Roaming Playmaker.

The difference between the Roaming Playmaker and the Regista in this case would be the inclination of the team to pass to him. As a playmaker the RPM is more likely to be the target of passes, whilst the Regista will not be.

1 minute ago, Cadoni said:

The difference between the Roaming Playmaker and the Regista in this case would be the inclination of the team to pass to him. As a playmaker the RPM is more likely to be the target of passes, whilst the Regista will not be.

I saw that but I guess I thought we would get more of a write up on the RPM like the other roles.

16 minutes ago, Cadoni said:

This isn’t true. The Regista is also a playmaker. They’d both have equal passing bias towards them. Neither is more or less important than the other.

58 minutes ago, Cleon said:

This isn’t true. The Regista is also a playmaker. They’d both have equal passing bias towards them. Neither is more or less important than the other.

They are playmakers, yes. Under some tempo settings the Regista can be bypassed, as compared to the RPM.  I am just saying it can happen. I adjusted the comment about passing bias because that only happens in certain cases with some of the systems i designed.

23 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

They are playmakers, yes. Under some tempo settings the Regista can be bypassed, as compared to the RPM.  I am just saying it can happen. I adjusted the comment about passing bias because that only happens in certain cases with some of the systems i designed.

For actual playmaker passing bias, that's the same regardless but you can bypass the role. Bypassing the Regista is different from passing bias. In the comment you posted and I quoted, you were confusing the two. You can bypass any role/setting in the right set up. I.e use wingers but play through the middle and use a role that draws the ball away from the wings and you'll bypass crossing. 

Just now, Rashidi said:

I wass writing too fast, just wanted to warn people about general role combinations and Tis that can screw things up. 

It's confusing too sometimes writing stuff down about combinations and trying to find the right wording. 

Are you doing video versions of this btw? I think it would look pretty cool in a video format. As you can hammer home the differences then and maybe even do a side by side comparison :)

Regarding IWB: I play them always exclusively on narrow formations lately. They behave quite differently from when set as wingbacks in the same duty.

Are the specific instructions (particularly 'cuts inside' and 'fewer crosses') still stored but the cuts will just happen later instead of early like for regular IWB? 

Normally I'd say narrow play and underlap (even without wingers) cancel out the generic 'run wide' instruction almost entirely but there still is a good difference between the two roles, particularly in the decision when to cross (IWB almost never) and final-third movement (cut inside and run to post vs. staying at the box's border). 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah been really busy lately, my youngling has not been feeling well, so i can't really get around to doing any further additions. I wanted to do some video versions of these guides as well, had to stop for a while, may continue once he is better.

27 minutes ago, nateliv said:

For example, in Tacticstime, you get 100 problems, which are not too hard, from 1-movers to 3-movers in general.  SOlve 'em all in 30-60mins if you're good, and them do the ones you get wrong like 5 days in a row until you've completely, utterly memorized them. Put 'em away for awhile, and then redo that 100 problems like 3-4 weeks later and see how you do. 

What?! :lol:

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, loser said:

So if I have a position like CM and Carrilero, even if I make the same PI, they will still play differently because they are different roles?

Yes because the Carrilero has additional coding to control it's behaviour.

En 12/7/2019 a las 16:01, herne79 dijo:

Yes because the Carrilero has additional coding to control it's behaviour.

Can you list which roles have additional coding aside from their default PI's if you don't mind?

4 hours ago, Sebas said:

Can you list which roles have additional coding aside from their default PI's if you don't mind?

Pretty much every role has something extra about it other than just PI differences.  A Fullback has more than just PI differences compared to a Wingback for example.  However some are more pronounced than others, such as: Segundo Volante; Carrilero; Mezzala; Half Back; Box to Box Midfielder; Inverted Wingback; Libero; Target Man; any "playmaker" role (Regista, Trequartista, Advanced Playmaker, Deep Lying Playmaker, Enganche, Roaming Playmaker, Wide Playmaker).

В 22.04.2019 в 18:42, Rashidi сказал:

Never look down on a FB(D)

Always have done this since having picked up the game with FM 12, unless parking the bus. 

Perhaps this is time to start using the role

And thanks, I never really thought IWB can stay on the flank, I always thought that this role always underlaps and cuts in on opposition's half. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/07/2019 at 18:53, herne79 said:

A Fullback has more than just PI differences compared to a Wingback for example.

Are you referring to mentality here or something behind the UI? Would you be able to elaborate?

Edited by Luizinho

Hello to everyone. We really needed a nice work. Can you explain the attack midfielder and striker positions? I'm also following you on youtube but I don't speak English. I'm using google translate. So I ask you. If you can make such guides in writing, if possible, it would be great for us. And do you have your own forum or site? Thank you very much, Rashidi. Excellent work.

• 2 months later...

With FM20 coming, understandably i have a huge amount of things to do. I will definitely be finishing this up as well. Its actually finished but I only have so many hours in a day. I just added Raumdeuter, WTM and IF to the list, need to get cracking on some other stuff, but will try and add the rest in later.

32 minutes ago, Armistice said:

So when you talk about making space for IF/RDM through overloads or letting the AI attack you, are these the only ways to create space for them?

How else does the opposition move in real life? They need to move because of a threat. Players just don't sit in their pockets like statues. So yes, overloads and transitional events create pockets of space, its this space that creative players use.  When players get behind to receive a diagonal then that's because the defensive line is higher than usual, when flanks open up thats because more players have shifted to one side of the pitch. Players can attack areas on the pitch by themselves, in doing so they force players to them, thereby creating space for others. Iniesta was a master of doing this from the middle of the pitch.  Man City creates overloads to move defensive teams around, which is why they use IW to hug the touchlines. Its done to expand the playable area. Defensive teams seek to condense the playable area and will use the defensive line and lines of engagement to do this. 

Why do teams like to transition quickly when they have a freekick? they do this so the other team doesn't; have time to settle in a defensive shape. When Mourinho managed Milan and beat Barcelona, his team played a compact shape with a low line of engagement. They played a direct style of football to get the ball out to beat Barcelona because they had to allow the opposition to have the ball, thereby allowing them up the pitch. Milan could not have won the game playing to Barca's strengths.

The use of space on a pitch is critical for most teams, and just plonking roles together in FM isn't enough. The game has become very simple but it still has some fundamental issues with how players play the central creative pass, when sides are camped 24/7 in their own half. The challenge then is then moving them around either with patient controlled possession or by giving them enough rope to hang themselves. 

3 hours ago, Rashidi said:

How else does the opposition move in real life? They need to move because of a threat. Players just don't sit in their pockets like statues. So yes, overloads and transitional events create pockets of space, its this space that creative players use.  When players get behind to receive a diagonal then that's because the defensive line is higher than usual, when flanks open up thats because more players have shifted to one side of the pitch. Players can attack areas on the pitch by themselves, in doing so they force players to them, thereby creating space for others. Iniesta was a master of doing this from the middle of the pitch.  Man City creates overloads to move defensive teams around, which is why they use IW to hug the touchlines. Its done to expand the playable area. Defensive teams seek to condense the playable area and will use the defensive line and lines of engagement to do this. 

Why do teams like to transition quickly when they have a freekick? they do this so the other team doesn't; have time to settle in a defensive shape. When Mourinho managed Milan and beat Barcelona, his team played a compact shape with a low line of engagement. They played a direct style of football to get the ball out to beat Barcelona because they had to allow the opposition to have the ball, thereby allowing them up the pitch. Milan could not have won the game playing to Barca's strengths.

The use of space on a pitch is critical for most teams, and just plonking roles together in FM isn't enough. The game has become very simple but it still has some fundamental issues with how players play the central creative pass, when sides are camped 24/7 in their own half. The challenge then is then moving them around either with patient controlled possession or by giving them enough rope to hang themselves. 

Well I don't know, you could create space for an IF by using a DLF for example who dropped deep and attracted a CB onto him. Some stuff like that, combination of roles and duties that would work with each other. I don't doubt that overloads is also combinations of roles and duties working with each other to create superiority on a flank and attract opponent players then switch to the other flank for 1v1 but I feel it's more complicated to implement than the basic space creation/attack I wrote above. If this game has became all about stuff like overloads and having to prepare meticulously every match then it's not for me anymore, I'm not trying to become bloody Guardiola, I'm only looking to get some football going, buy players, develop where it's possible and watch the AI burn. Or if things go wrong in the process, watch me get sacked.

You say the game has became very simple but you say it's not enough to just put some roles together (considering you don't mean any random roles & duties). Well then it's not simple. If you can't win games by combinations of logical roles and duties then I don't see how it's simple.

Edited by Armistice