[FM20] Borussia Mönchengladbach

Saint_Lane

Border-Line-Image.png

★ Welcome To FM2020 - Borussia Mönchengladbach Thread 

Badge-Page-1.jpg 

Borussia Monchengladblach - Welcome To Football Manager 2020

Borussia-M-nchengladbach-Page-1.jpg

Introduction

Borussia Mönchengladbach go into the 2019/20 campaign with a new coach at the helm in Marco Rose but the goal of European football remains the same.

Aims in 2019/20
It was so close for Gladbach last season as they missed out on UEFA Champions League football to Bayer Leverkusen on the final day.  It spelled the end of Dieter Hecking’s three-year tenure as coach with the club welcoming in new boss Rose from Red Bull Salzburg.
While many will expect a good European run this year, few are expecting a title challenge from the five-time Bundesliga champions.  A top-four finish is certainly the aim for this young Borussia side, and an extended DFB Cup run beyond the turn of the year would also be welcomed by the Gladbach faithful.

Thorgan Hazard was the big name in the Gladbach squad but the winger has now left for the other Borussia in Dortmund. It creates space for last season’s top scorer Alassane Plea to take a leading role in 2019/20.  The 25-year-old scored eight goals in his first 11 Bundesliga games, finishing with a total of 12 as Gladbach finished fifth.  With captain Lars Stindl struggling with injuries and Raffael the wrong side of 30, Plea could now form a potent partnership with new signings Breel Embolo and Marcus Thuram.

IN: Laszlo Benes (Holstein Kiel, end of loan), Ramy Bensebaini (Stade Rennais), Breel Embolo (Schalke), Max Grün (Darmstadt), Jacob Italiano (Perth Glory, end of loan), Stefan Lainer (Red Bull Salzburg), Marcus Thuram (Guingamp)

OUT: Josip Drmic (Norwich City), Thorgan Hazard (Borussia Dortmund), Moritz Nicolas (Union Berlin, loan)

Border-Line-Image.png

Who Are Gladbach

Borussia VfL 1900 Mönchengladbach  known as Gladbach, are a professional football club based in Mönchengladbach, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, that plays in the Bundesliga, the top flight of German football. 
The club has won five League titles, three DFB-Pokals, and two UEFA Europa League titles.[3]

Who-Are-BM-Image.jpg

Gladbach have a rich history of success in Domestic & European football

Borussia Mönchengladbach were founded in 1900, with its name derived from a Latinized form of Prussia, which was a popular name for German clubs in the former Kingdom of Prussia. 
The team joined the Bundesliga in 1965, and saw the majority of its success in the 1970s, where, under the guidance of Hennes Weisweiler, they captured five league championships with Die Fohlen team; a term coined as the squad were young with a fast, aggressive playing style. Mönchengladbach also won two UEFA Cup titles during this period. Since 2004, Borussia Mönchengladbach have played at Borussia-Park, having previously played at the Bökelbergstadion since 1919. Borussia Mönchengladbach is the fifth largest club in Germany, with over 75,000 members. The club's main rivals are FC Köln and Bayer Leverkusen.

Border-Line-Image.png

History

Gladbach have been playing at home in Mönchengladbach since 1900. The city is in Westphalia, extremely close to the French border. 
If you want to know why people so freely drop the rest of the name, the city’s original name was Gladbach. 
The city has just over 250,000 residents and like most places in Europe is quite old!

The club was founded as FC Borussia in August 1st 1900; the name was borrowed from the Latin spelling of the word Prussia, the region in which the club was situated in. 
They would change name in 1919 (to 1899 VfTuR M.Gladbach), in 1921 (to Borussia VfL 1900 e.V. M.Gladbach), and finally in 1961 (to Borussia VfL Mönchengladbach).

During its first six decades of existence, Gladbach had enjoyed a moderate amount of success in the local competitions and was mostly known for its fierce rivalry with FC Köln. 
As fate would have it, Gladbach ended up defeating Köln on the way to its first trophy, the 1960 DFB-Pokal.

History-Image.png

Berti Vogts and Jupp Heynckes were part of the successful 1970's Gladbach Team

While Gladbach was not among the sixteen teams invited for the first Bundesliga season in 1963, the top tier of German football could not evade them for long. 
Indeed, the club earned their promotion only three years later, at the same time as Bayern Munich. 
Most of the credit for the club's meteoric rise to excellence goes to Hennes Weisweiler, a coach who brought a breath of fresh air to the club with his brand of attacking football.

With Weisweiler at the helm and talented young players like Berti Vogts and Jupp Heynckes in the team, Gladbach became a powerhouse of German football in the 70s. 
During this golden era, the club won all five of its Bundesliga titles, their second DFB-Pokal and reach four European finals.

Border-Line-Image.png

The-Club-Page-2.jpg

Border-Line-Image.png

The Stadium ★

The Borussia Park replaced the storied, much-loved but utterly outdated Bökelberg Stadium in 2004, when Borussia competitively inaugurated their new home with a 3-2 defeat at the hands of Dortmund. 
Although the arena has a maximum capacity of 59,724 spectators, there is a limit of 54,010 for the Bundesliga due to a redesign of the South Stand.

Stadium-Image.jpg

Borussia Park 54,000 Capacity Stadium built in 2004

In any case, the Borussia Park is a thoroughly modern stadium, with top-class views from all angles and an impressive green-white-black lighting system. 
The facilities inside are as swish as anywhere in Germany, while standing tickets start as cheaply as €14.50. 
While all of that makes it well worth a visit, the centrepiece is the noise: Gladbach fans are as passionate as any in the land, with the famed Nordkurve (North Stand) whipping up quite a din every other week.

Border-Line-Image.png

The Facilities

Overview

Nation: Germany

Year Founded: 1900

Nickname: Die Fohlen

Operating Status: Professional.

Legends: Rainer Bonhof, Gunter Netzer, Berti Vogts, Hennes Weisweiler, Jupp Heynckes.

Derbies: Borussen Derby (Vs Dortmund), Rhein Derby (Vs Koln), Rhein Derby (Vs Dusseldorf), Grenzland Derby (Vs Aachen).

Fierce Rivals: Koln (Local).

Continental Competition: UEFA Europa League.

Media Prediction: 6th.

Squad Personality: Professional.

Captain: Lars Stindl

Vice-Captain: Yann Sommer

Finances: Rich.

Facilities

City: Gladbach.

Stadium: Borussia Park.

Capacity: 54,022.

Year Built: 2004.

Surface: Grass.

Corporate Facilities: Good corporate facilities.

Training Facilities: Great training facilities.

Youth Facilities: Great youth facilities.

Youth Stadium: Granzlandstadion.

Junior Coaching: Adequate junior coaching.

Youth Recruitment: Adequate youth recruitment.

Border-Line-Image.png

Kits

Kits-Image.jpg

Gladbach play at home in a white strip with the traditional black & green highlights.

Border-Line-Image.png

Edited by Saint_Lane

Die-Fohlen-Page-3.jpg

Border-Line-Image.png

★ The Squad★

GK.png

Star Player  #1 Yann Sommer 

30 I Goalkeeper I Swiss

#1 Yann Sommer has played for Borussia M'gladbach since 2014. The Swiss international is The Foals number one & has played 174 matches in the course of his career in the Bundesliga. Of these, he has won 81. 

Sommer is a key player for Gladbach and capable of securing the #1 Jersey for a few years to come. 

DC.png

Star Player ★ #30 Nico Elvedi

23 I Versatile Defender I Swiss

#30 Nico Elvedi  has already featured in more than 100 games for the Foals, helping them finish in the European places in two of his four seasons at the club
A full Switzerland international Elvedi has also become a defensive mainstay for Gladbach, be it at center-back, where he featured 24 times last season, or full-back, where he filled in.
Elvedi’s elegance on the ball despite his height and ability to play centrally or wide in a three- or four-man defense is impressive & Elvedi’s trajectory suggests that there will be significant silverware glistening in his trophy cabinet before his career is out.

MID.png

Star Player ★ #30 Denis Zakaria

22 I Combative Midfielder I Swiss

#8 Denis Zakaria Borussia Mönchengladbach’s midfield is safe in the hands of Denis Zakaria. A powerhouse with passing ability far beyond his years
Standing at 6'2", the towering figure is a dominant midfield force who plays the easy pass when he has the opportunity. Very much a defence-minded player.

ST.png

Star Player ★ #14 Alassane Plea

26 I Striker I French

#14 Alassane Plea The Frenchman joined after 4 successful seasons with Nice in France & already has 6 goals and 4 assists in 8 games leading the line for Gladbach in the 19/20 season.
A former Lyon academy graduate, he’s very slowly blossomed into a solid striker that can both play as an inside forward on the left or as part of a two-man strike force. Quick and strong, he’s a forward coming into his prime at 26.

Border-Line-Image.png

★ Key Player★

#10 Marcus Thuram

21 I Athletic Forward I French

Thuram is the son of France legend Lilian Thuram. The most capped player in the history of Les Bleus.  It’s a large shadow to step out of, but Marcus began to do so in January 2019 when he made headlines in the Coupe de la Ligue quarter-final. Minutes after he missed a penalty against Paris Saint-Germain, Guingamp fell behind. But Thuram was unperturbed and stepped up from the spot again in the 93rd minute to inflict PSG’s first defeat in the competition over six years.

Thuram-Action.png

Thuram's upward career trajectory has continued apace at Gladbach. Under Marco Rose, the forward has formed part of a new-look frontline alongside Alassane Plea and Breel Embolo.

Thuram's impressive physical stats combined with his positional versatility and flair mark him out to be an exciting and forceful attacking option for Gladbach in game. His impressive start for Gladbach this season will be hard to replicate in game, but if Die Fohls have ambitions of Champions League qualification, geting Thuram firing is essential. 

Key-Player-Stats.png

“He’s going to be a great player. He’s going to have a great future.” – Former Saint Etienne coach Jean-Louis Gasset

“He’s a player for big events.” – Former Ajaccio coach Albert Cartier

"He's a fast, robust and dangerous assailant who fits very well in our squad and we are sure he will make his way in the Bundesliga." - Gladbach sporting director Max Eberl

Border-Line-Image.png

★ Hot Prospect★

#40 Andreas Poulsen

19 I Pacey Wing Back I Danish

Born in 1996 Poulsen played for FC Midtjylland from 2015-2016 and has played for Borussia M'gladbach since 2018. Yet to make his first start for Gladbach this season Poulsen faces plenty of competition for the LB spot at Borussia Part. With Wendt, Lainer and promising Algerian Bensebaini ahead of him in the pecking order. It may take a Loan move or a Manager who really see's his potential and secures him first team playing time to really ensure he develops and achieves all that his potential is showing. 

Hot-Prospect-Stats.png

Border-Line-Image.png

Edited by Saint_Lane

Hall-of-Legends-Page-5.jpg

Border-Line-Image.png

Ho-F-Image.png

Gladbach Legend Jupp Heynckes with the Bundeliga & European Cup.

★★ Message in this thread to have your achievements  as Gladbach Manager recognized and immortalized forever in Football Manager 2020 ★★

★Team Records★

Biggest Win:

Biggest Win in a Cup Final: 

Biggest Win in Champions League: 

Most Possession in a Match: 

Most Games Won in Row:

Most Matches Without Losing:

Most League Goals Scored in a Season: 

Least League Goals Conceded in a Season: 

★ Bundesliga - Players★

Most Goals in a Season: 

Most League Goals in a Season:

Most Assists in a Match: 

Most League Assists in a Season: 

Most Goals in a Match: 

Highest Transfer Fee Received: 

Highest Transfer Fee Spent: 

Border-Line-Image.png

Edited by Saint_Lane

★ Season Preview - 2019/20 ★

Corner-Flag.png

Thank you all for taking the time for visit my guide for Gladbach in FM 2020. Gladbach have always been my 'main' save in FM and I really wanted to create a thread this year to hopefully garner some discussion and fun with other Managers. Really keen to see your success, tips, transfers and stories! I appreciate these dedicated threads are dieing out in favor of a specific league thread but I wanted to do it anyway. Hopefully if you are managing Gladbach you can stop by, learn something from the other posters here and hopefully share a piece of your story with us. 

Season 2019/20

First season. Transfer window disabled. 

I am already daunted at the prospect of the boards requirements of Champions League qualification. The squad is good - Europa League good but the Champions League & a top 4 in Season 1 is a real challenge! 

I've locked transfers out for the first window as i like to replicate real squads for the 1st season. Marcus Thuram is a real gem of a player, i loved watching him in France and signed him regularly in FM19 - I was so happy when he joined Gladbach! I am going to build my team around him and try and replicate some the success that Gladbach have experienced IRL so far this season! 

my-formatino.png

My ambition is to play a 3-5-1-1 formation.  The strengths of this is that it allows me to combine both Plea & Thuram in central forward positions.  I can flood the midfield and hopefully control the possession game, Zakaria and Kramer are very capable CMs and i am excited to see how Neuhaus develops in this latest edition of the game. I am attempting to play a controlled style of football, with width being provided by the Wing Backs. I want to be aggressive and play a high line, I think the above average pace of Elvedi and Ginter will support this play style. 

Game 1 was against FC Shalke 04 - And we looked less that impressive. Shalke found some big flaws in my 3-5-1-1 and registered an impressive number of shots (17) against me in the 90 minutes. We were rescued by goals from the 2 debutants; Embolo and of course Marcus Thuram! The game finished 2-1 to Gladbach but I have alot of work to do for the next game away at Mainz. 

shalke-g1.png

...Here's to the rest on Season 1.

Edited by Saint_Lane

• Saint_Lane changed the title to [FM20] Borussia Mönchengladbach

Been looking for a German side to manage for a few years. A nicely placed team outside the top 5 as you'd have it with a squad moving in the right direction, they play some fantastic football when I've seen them play on BT sport.

Cheers for the inspiration :)

Edited by Jamesbfc1887

18 hours ago, Jamesbfc1887 said:

Been looking for a German side to manage for a few years. A nicely placed team outside the top 5 as you'd have it with a squad moving in the right direction, they play some fantastic football when I've seen them play on BT sport.

Cheers for the inspiration :)

Absolutley, new manager Marco Rose (From RB Salzburg) has them playing some high intensity, high press football - Very entertaining. 

Big challenge though. Board want Champions League first season and that wont be easy!

Edited by Saint_Lane

18 minutes ago, Saint_Lane said:

Absolutley, new manager Marco Rose (From RB Salzburg) has them playing some high intensity, high press football - Very entertaining. 

Big challenge though. Board want Champions League first season and that wont be easy!

great work on the thread Saint_lane. Gladbach my 2nd team. Always wait for the full game to start with them so can add the 2nd teams division 4/5 tier in german football, to develop the youngsters. 

They have been great to watch IRL this season. can't believe they are still top and should be back in the champions league / top 4 this season. great young signings and attacking football. Thuram and zakaria are such talents and ones to watch. 

11 minutes ago, prienaiball said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Thuram looks average in FM? The technical and mental stats look average

(Shhh!) You are of course right. But he's a darling of Gladbach fans and is on fire this season in the Bundesliga!

P.s 9 Games in:

Untitled.png

Edited by Saint_Lane

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is the first thread I saw this year, and after finishing my own Bayer Leverkusen team guide I swore that, because of this thread alone, I was going to give Borussia Mönchengladbach a try this year, for the first time!

Heading into the season with a very optimistic tactic. Optimising my own unique take on Vertical Tiki-Taka, this tactic won me everything there was to win at Chelsea after just 2 seasons! So I'm hoping to replicate the success with this club as well, especially since BMG lack any sort of strength out wide.

A bit wary of how Embolo will cope in the unfamiliar AM position, and definitely lacking a solid natural DLP, but otherwise this tactic could well be a perfect fit for this team. Will definitely keep you posted, and great guide if I haven't said so already!

received_648512692602978.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/04/2020 at 10:46, oze07 said:

this thread not happening anymore? was tempted to start a bmg save nyself?

I am sure if you post here your save, people will be interested. Good luck wiht Gladbach!

• 2 weeks later...