I am confused. Stats wise, this new keeper I got is better, but he's hopeless in actual matches.

I am absolutely miffed by how this game works. There are a lot of hidden mechanics and I'm struggling to deal with them. I recently got promoted and scored a keeper that looked really good. Take a look. Green is the new guy, blue is my old one:

262653741_Screenshot2020-03-29at12_23_16AM.thumb.png.35cc967687aac97169d5f2deb4c22098.png

Almost unanimously, green is good right? He even has a height advantage.

But he is awful. In just 7 games, he conceded 20 goals. In comparison, my regular has been in 85 games and conceded just 100. At Green's rate, he would have condeded 100 by the time he has played 35 games.

It's not even that the new league is tougher. I save scummed a few games to try out both keepers. In each game, Green conceded a crazy amount of goals (4, 5, 6 even one time), while Blue held on to 2 or 1 goal, or even 0, winning it for us. In full match viewings, I could see that he wasn't unlucky, and that he would concede the stupidest of goals.

One time, a player was standing right to the extreme right side of the post. He shot a direct kick at the keeper, and Green just fell over backwards and that was a goal. What?

So, what the hell am I supposed to do? What am I supposed to look out for? If the stats are blatantly lying to me, who should I trust?

Edited by LetsNotScoreGoals

It's probably because he's a new keeper and needs time to adapt to a new team and form cohesive relationships with the defenders in the team in front of him? What eccentricity and positioning stats does your new keeper have? I only sign keepers on low eccentricity stats because they're less likely to take chances in goal or make any mad charges outside the box.

Fabian Barthez or Jens Lehmann would be examples of eccentric keepers. Good shot stoppers, but always expect them to take chances or do something silly. Maybe your new keeper is the same?

21 minutes ago, Blue 4 Life said:

It's probably because he's a new keeper and needs time to adapt to a new team and form cohesive relationships with the defenders in the team in front of him? What eccentricity and positioning stats does your new keeper have? I only sign keepers on low eccentricity stats because they're less likely to take chances in goal or make any mad charges outside the box.

Fabian Barthez or Jens Lehmann would be examples of eccentric keepers. Good shot stoppers, but always expect them to take chances or do something silly. Maybe your new keeper is the same?

Right there in my screenshot, he's only one point more eccentric than my old keeper, at 6.

I also thought I needed to "break" him in but 7 games of sub-seven point performance AND in the eighth game he let in 6 goals, I had to give up and scum that game. My old keeper then came in at 50% match sharpness and won it for us.

Just to show you how ridiculous it is, I'm now in the play-offs of the Championship table, with a goal deficit of -6 because of his goofiness.

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 1.45.59 AM.png

Edited by LetsNotScoreGoals

On 29/03/2020 at 02:22, Blue 4 Life said:

Hang on a minute, your old keeper has better positioning and concentration, so it's not really surprising. Your new keeper has terrible mental stats. For Championship standard, you need much better than both those keepers to be honest.

Sorry I missed your reply.

I actually won the Championship with blue. And it has been a while, but I checked back on Green who is now in another club in Segunda Division in Spain and he seems pretty decent. Strange and sucky that he refused to perform while with us.

I've got a really got regen keeper from Croatia, he's really doing it for us in EPL. He likes to punch though, which sucks.