• About Getting Turkish Citizenship

evrendemir6
    • Public Status: Info Provided Screenshot: Files Uploaded: Screenshot

This has been an ongoing situation for a couple of years. I play in the Turkish League, which has a rule regarding foreign players. I'm familiar with the details of this rule, relating to eligibility for playing in the national team. However, after counting 1825 days (5 years) in the eligibility section, one might expect a certain nationality qualification and the possibility of being selected for the national team. Nevertheless, after these 1825 days have passed, the status remains "awaiting for paperwork" indefinitely. Am I missing something regarding the difference between 'Nationality' and 'Eligibility'? I don't think so because the eligibility counter should already be valid for players in the Turkish League who haven't played in their national teams. I added some screenshots; a player who hasn't played in any age category of his National Team still cannot obtain citizenship.

In summary, is this infinite 'awaiting for paperwork' issue a bug?"

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I uploaded the save game with the title "Ankara Demir 26 yaz transfer.fm". You can see the examples at
    Ankara Demirspor - Matty Warhurst or Çaykur Rizespor - Mor Faye. These players play in Turkey for more than 1825 days -Mor Faye for 2727 days but since 900 days it seems awaiting paperwork- they fulfill the duration for eligibility, they didn't play for their national team but still.. It's an issue ever since last years.

I'd like to draw attention on another issue. Since FM 2021 probably, I never ever created any affiliation with any club. Senior or pilot, all my board requests get rejected or even if they were approved, the board unable to find any club at the end of the progress. Can you please inform me if this is an issue/bug and can you fix this?

perpetua

Posted (edited)

It works in reality as follows.

• To become a Turkish citizen a player has to apply.  To be eligible to apply for citizenship, the person has to have resided in Turkey for 5 consecutive years.  So technically a player can apply for citizenship 5 years after arriving in Turkey.
    • Once the application is received, there is of course some processing time for the application and the person to gain citizenship.  
    • The FA requires that a player can only play as a domestic player if:
      • The player gains Turkish nationality and resides consecutively in Turkey for a further 5 years (so 10 consecutive years), the player can be registered as a domestic player in the following transfer window.
      • The player is called up to the Turkish national team at any age level and represents Turkey, the player can be registered as a domestic player in the following transfer window.
    • It is technically possible for a player to get their citizenship fast tracked by decree of the Turkish Republic cabinet.  This can even happen a day after the player arrives.
      • However FIFA rules require a naturalized player to reside for at least five years in the nation they will represent.
      • Since at least 5 years have to pass from the player's first arrival to represent Turkey, the citizenship by decree route for citizenship is irrelevant.
    • For the purposes of FM,
      • If a player has played at least 5 seasons in Turkey, has not played at any age level for another nation and can immediately walk into the Turkish national team (the rule I requested is a CA of at least 140), then he receives citizenship.
      • If the player has played at any age level for another nation or does not meet the CA requirement after 5 years in Turkey, the player doesn't gain citizenship.  The text in the game for this player should probably be more informative than "awaiting paperwork".  
      • Specifically
        • if a player has played for another nation then "not eligible to play for Turkiye"
        • if a player doesn't meet the CA threshold then "awaiting callup from Turkiye"
        • Both players should then gain citizenship and be eligible to play as a domestic player after 10 years in Turkey.
    Edited by perpetua

perpetua

Posted (edited)

Specific to the screenshots added.

1. Figueiredo does not have the ability to ever represent Turkey so he shouldn't gain citizenship/count as a domestic player any time before 3650  consecutive days spent in Turkey.

2. Valentin Rosier has played for France at the U21 level.  At the time he played for France, he wasn't eligible to represent Turkey so he can never switch nationality to play for the Turkish national team.  So he shouldn't gain citizenship/count as a domestic player any time before 3650 consecutive days spent in Turkey.

Edited by perpetua