• Transfer Online game from Local to Steam Cloud

aneksixniastos
    • Files Uploaded: Save Game Public Status: Resolved Save Game: Sports Interactive_Football Manager 2024_cloud_games_Gerry G - MePechOnline.fm

Description of issue

Hi, I would like to ask whether what I am trying to do is doable. I downloaded FM24 (via Steam) and started an online game(I ll refer to that as my game) with a friend.The first ever
    save of the online game was in local. Right after that I started using the Steam Cloud for saving the progress of my game. I have also a cloud gaming platform subscription where 
    I also play via the same steam account. From that cloud game platform, I loaded the copy of my game but my friend couldn't find the server to log in.

My question is, is there a way to "transfer" my game into the cloud so I can play it from the cloud gaming platform?

Thank you for your time!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• SI Staff

When you're saying your friend was unable to find the server, is this the actual game to join as a network match?

If you're looking to host a network game through a third party cloud platform, even if associated with steam in some way, it may well be the case it's not as straight forward. Ideally I'd need to understand a bit more about what it is you're looking to do, and through what platform as then I can probably point a question the right way internally.

Hey Michael, thank you for your reply. Let me give me an overview of the steps(on my machine) :

- installed football manager 24 via steam 

- started an online game where gave the server a name (the first save of the game was local, not cloud steam) 

- During playing I started saving the game in cloud. 

This is how I installed/ setup the online game. When I load my cloud save of the online game from my local steam (have downloaded the app for mac), my friend finds the server, joins the online game and we carry on from where we left. 

Now, I would like to be able to carry on the same game from a cloud platform (boostetoid, if that matters). The steps I followed for this:

-  started fm24 via steam in the cloud gaming platform 

- loaded the save of the online game from cloud steam 

This works fine for me. The problem is that my friend cannot find the server (and game) when searching to join an online game. As per what I am trying to do, I would like to be able to host the online game I started from my pc(and carry on from the last save) in a third party gaming platform. 

Please let me know if we are doing something wrong or you need more info from my side. 

Edited by aneksixniastos

• SI Staff

So with a network game (irrespective of whether its saved locally or through the cloud) the platform you're playing through is what enables the online network play. So steam/epic/xbox app etc. I don't know how boostetoid works exactly, but it seems like you're paying for a service from them which would effectively mean you're streaming the game and wouldn't know exactly how they have it integrated. FM network games are hosted peer to peer (compared to dedicated servers) and so their service may not support this. 

While connecting through their service can you see any list of other players hosted network games? If you cannot, then I do feel it may be the case its something not designed for inclusion on that platform.

Not sure if something changed but it works now. Thanks for that and for the insights of the networking. For the record, I think it was because of steam (a glitch maybe??). Boosteroid just "hosts" steam, so no direct interaction with the online game itself.