• Derby County Academy downgraded to Cat 2 end of 2023/24 season but highly unlikely to be in real-life

Stuniverse
    • Files Uploaded: Save Game, Screenshot Public Status: Under Review Screenshot: Save Game: Stuniverse_Derby_05May2024_Academy.fm

Description of issue

At the end of the first season (2023/24) in FM24, managing Derby County, the Youth Academy is downgraded from Category 1 to Category 2, despite having the maximum allowed U21 and U18 coaching staff, and this feels wrong as it is highly unlikely to be downgraded in real-life.

First-Team_Staff.thumb.png.7692480e3797f7d06a8515a6bd45999a.png

U21_Staff.thumb.png.0d283e5da1db0e124c1fc82f45f38a24.png

U18_Staff.thumb.png.01c3d7e35d0344f7a1c2e65a73d0a8bf.png

Academy_Youth_Rating_dropped.png.4b004e8a35a110089886a3ca82b69aca.png

Facilities_Downgraded.png.41ba7346dc30a4f86fc61caf1d93c8c2.png

--

I've uploaded Stuniverse_Derby_05May2024_Academy.fm (when the Inbox announcement is received) as well as the following save game files from before that date:

• Stuniverse_Derby_14Feb2024.fm
    • Stuniverse_Derby_30Mar2024.fm
    • Stuniverse_Derby_109Apr2024
    • Stuniverse_Derby_27Apr2024_EndOfSeason.fm

I also don't think this is unique to Derby County either based on this post in the General Discussion forum: 

--

In real-life, Derby County achieved Cat 1 Academy Status in 2014: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2014/07/derby-county-achieve-category-one-academy-status

Derby County have retained Cat 1 Status ever since, even throughout the Administration season and last season in League One: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/07/derby-county-academy-retains-category-one-status

The new owner, David Clowes, is committed to retaining Category 1 Status and in August this year announced a new Academy Coaching Structure to help maintain Category 1 Status: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/08/academy-confirms-new-appointments-august-2023

It is highly unlikely that Derby County will lose Category 1 Status in real-life and it feels wrong that they lose it at the end of the first season in FM24.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Yes I had the same message as well despite increasing the numbers of u21/u18 staff throughout the season and upgrading facilities during my first season promotion campaign to the Championship.

Its seems a little unfair that you aren't warned in advance that you are at risk of losing rank (and what you can do to maintain it) nor are you told what you need to do to increase it again - especially given that the board had agreed to increase funding/staff etc at various points throughout the season.  

• SI Staff

Thanks for sharing this one. QA will investigate further. I know a few seasons back it often caught Stoke in the net. If I remember rightly there's a somewhat discretionary element to it (Stoke at least did not qualify under the standard criteria when they first got Cat 1) but the QA team can review this and determine why the down-ranking is taking place.

Thank you, @Michael Sant.

I know this was an issue in FM23 (I did report it) and remains an issue in FM24 so I’d be grateful if it could be established why this is happening and be resolved.

And, as I mentioned in my original post, it’s broader than just Derby County.

Many thanks.

Tagged: @Dean Gripton

Edited by Stuniverse

• Administrators

Hello @Stuniverse

We did put a change in a previous update that lowered the chances of this happening to various clubs.

We'll do some digging as to why Derby County are still affected.

• Administrators

Hi @Stuniverse

It seem to be an issue only affecting Derby for some reason, we have the issue logged but as it's only affecting one club it's not the highest priority at the moment.

Apologises for the inconvenience.