• [24.2] Through balls in central positions

Sunstrikuuu
    • Public Status: Under Review PKM / REC File: LeicestervArsenal.pkm Files Uploaded: PKM / REC File

Playmakers especially, but most players, do not play through passes when in attacking positions (except when the receiver is clearly offside but that's a different albeit related report).

47:57 -- Odegaard is an APs.  In this position he dribbles straight into the path of Saka's run and shoots from outside the box.  As an advanced playmaker, he has the More Risky Passing and Shoot Less Often PIs hard-coded.  Saka is clearly onside, and Martinelli in the left half-space might be available too.

image.png.a9e754fb0030b753de7d0dfbc9a97701.png

83:27 -- Havertz is a CMa with the Take More Risks PI.  In this position he plays the ball back and to the feet of Balde at the top of the image.  

image.png.ddd9db1f6e6ee62c73438d02eaad7fe3.png

93:42 -- Balde is a CWBa.  There's definitely a far-post cross on here, but also potentially a through-ball into the left channel or a pass (or cross) to the penalty spot.  Balde shoots from one dribble further in than this position.

image.png.78b6f8025ee1f59d7e3134be97801947.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1:28 -- Rice is a CMa with the Takes More Risks PI, 15 Passing, 15 Vision and 17 Decisions. 

image.png.412157434a401a53f9721a2e97f0e4ab.png

He shoots from outside the area (I mean it goes in so maybe it's a good decision...?).  He runs into the exact space the CF is moving into to the point where they're on top of one another when Rice shoots.  

There are probably other moments in this match, but I wasn't able to watch it.  

Arsenal v Crystal Palace 2.pkm

I have to admit I don't think any of these make sense as a screenshot as examples for not playing through balls. The first one is marginal but hard to deny a player the choice to dribble on his own there. The rest appear to be very, very low percentage passes. There's not really much opportunity for through balls when you're on just outside of the penalty area. Do you have any examples of counter attacks or something closer to the halfway line where it'd be a clearer break?

In my save at least I don't really see much of an issue playing these kind of passes.  Counter attacks could maybe be more direct at times but I haven't seen much to make me think there's an issue. I attached my pkm this event is 45+1 fernandes goal.

image.png.acee5a932533a8a6c588488df48c4ece.png

Man Utd v QPR.pkm

On 02/12/2023 at 15:17, wazzaflow10 said:

I have to admit I don't think any of these make sense as a screenshot as examples for not playing through balls. The first one is marginal but hard to deny a player the choice to dribble on his own there. The rest appear to be very, very low percentage passes. There's not really much opportunity for through balls when you're on just outside of the penalty area. Do you have any examples of counter attacks or something closer to the halfway line where it'd be a clearer break?

In my save at least I don't really see much of an issue playing these kind of passes.  Counter attacks could maybe be more direct at times but I haven't seen much to make me think there's an issue. I attached my pkm this event is 45+1 fernandes goal.

image.png.acee5a932533a8a6c588488df48c4ece.png

Man Utd v QPR.pkm

I'm specifically focused on central attacking play in the final third.  Direct counterattacks work better, though there are plenty of boneheaded decisions there too.  While there are going to be subjective elements to consider, players dribbling directly into their teammates is not an outcome that should be considered normal.

as of now I'd say that 14 out of 15 through ball to my striker that resulted in a goal is always offside. It's really frustrating especially if you have midfielders with 15+ pass, 15+ vison and 15+ decision. Almost all my goals now come from long range shot from outside the box. this is a bit ridiculous.

12 hours ago, sugarbear0511 said:

as of now I'd say that 14 out of 15 through ball to my striker that resulted in a goal is always offside. It's really frustrating especially if you have midfielders with 15+ pass, 15+ vison and 15+ decision. Almost all my goals now come from long range shot from outside the box. this is a bit ridiculous.

My goals and almost all of my goals against start with a set piece and the following kerfuffle. Id say about the passes into space: if it the pass receiver is offside, the defending team stops playing, and that is the reason why most of this passes end up as acknowlegded offside.

I would say the ME is still pretty bugged, when it comes to decision, if a pass is played or a not and when. Also the length of passes is off. I see often passes that try to hit the byline, they not really played into space, but rather trough the whole space and lead to goalkeeper kick and nothing else.

Spacial awareness is just missing. There needs to be an understanding of the dimensions and also there needs to be better timing and there needs to be understanding of force.
    All of those are not given, or maybe just in very small moments, when all checks have passed and then a sensible progressive pass can occure. There are just to few moments, to make a game.