• Ridiculous Contracts

Smoo
    • Public Status: Under Review Files Uploaded: None

I'm managing Chelsea, Mbappe accepted a pre-contract of £375,000 p/w, £16m sign on fee, £80k Appearance Fee bonus and Goal Bonus. He signs for Bayern for £250k, £12m sign on fee, £50k Appearance and Goal Bonus. Fine, that could happen, even if it never would. I try to negotiate new contracts for my squad. Mason Mount wants his wages more than tripled to £300k p/w, Reece James wants a 5-fold increase to £300k p/w, Conor Gallagher wants a 1000% increase to £150k p/w. Neither Mount nor Gallagher are first choice players, but are demanding at least a Regular Starter role. I could negotiate these contracts down maybe 10-15%, or delegate it to someone who will do no more than I can. Then in 12 months time, they'll all want new contracts, this time demanding £400k p/w. If I'm lucky I can get them to agree that they don't need a new contract, which buys me 4/5/6 months until they decide they actually do deserve that contract. Eventually I'm either forced to give them a new contract, or accept having a squad with 4 or 5 unhappy players because they aren't getting a new contract every year. At some point I need to give them a new contract, and they will be demanding £500k p/w. This applies to half, if not more, of my first team squad. And then the cycle repeats, 12 months later players complaining about wanting new contracts, 1 year into 5 year contracts. And pretty soon I've got 4 or 5 players earning half a million quid a week, and the rest are trying their best to catch them. Meanwhile the AI will sign whoever they want, with no significant jump in wage demand, often players joining AI teams for lower wages than they were originally earning, such as Mbappe agreeing a near 40% wage cut to join Bayern, despite better offers.

I'll upload the files Chelsea Salary Test before contract negotiations begin, and Chelsea Salary Test 1 showing the contracts negotiated by my club. I expect this will be filed under "Perfectly normal behaviour" though.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I think they intentionally made contracts in this game warped and nonsensical 

Look at this here I offered oblack 250K 4 years and important player perfectly in line with wages at my club he would be the 2nd highest player.

A madrid offer 215K on a 1 year deal and you get some cock and bull story about how he was impressed that they paid sooooooooo much compared to what they could afford and how my offer disappointed because he knows I can pay more!

dunno how he could know that when only the STAR player earns more than he would have

not many footballers take less to stay at a smaller club on a shorter contract it all doesnt make sense  but FM init

20220312195447_1.jpg

• SI Staff

The QA team will take a look into this further but in general if you are showing you're a pushover when it comes to contracts players will continuously angle for better contracts. I'd argue that's quite realistic. If you know the manager is a soft touch who will greenlight a generous payrise every year, over any previous agreement you had - its logical to ask for it. 

As the manager in the game you do wield tremendous influence in this area, but it can require parting ways with a lot of your current players who wouldn't now negotiate back down to what you may consider to be reasonable levels. 

11 hours ago, Michael Sant said:

The QA team will take a look into this further but in general if you are showing you're a pushover when it comes to contracts players will continuously angle for better contracts. I'd argue that's quite realistic. If you know the manager is a soft touch who will greenlight a generous payrise every year, over any previous agreement you had - its logical to ask for it. 

As the manager in the game you do wield tremendous influence in this area, but it can require parting ways with a lot of your current players who wouldn't now negotiate back down to what you may consider to be reasonable levels. 

Are there any real life examples that this has happened?

In theory maybe but in my game i find players started asking for silly wage demands as soon as I had a surplus in my wage budget. This should be undisclosed information

• SI Staff
    13 hours ago, jere_d said:

i find players started asking for silly wage demands as soon as I had a surplus in my wage budget. This should be undisclosed information

If its happening as you describe then it would be something good for the QA team to investigate further as a potential bug. 

I feel its best to let the QA team take a look and make an assessment. 

On 12/03/2022 at 20:19, Michael Sant said:

That would make sense, if my players weren't asking for new contracts 6 months into a new save. I've barely negotiated any contracts. 6 months into a new save, and a player with 4 years left on his contract wants his wages quintupled. Also, I didn't give them the new contracts. I had team leader meeting where my team leaders wanted to know why I didn't offer them new contracts, I told them I wouldn't bow to player pressure, and they were all unhappy with that answer. Still they demand insane wage rises. What I have noticed from years of playing football manager, if you have one player earning £300k p/w, that is the new normal. I've managed teams where I can control the wage structure very well. But wage demands rise as you are able to attract better players. Then players who were getting paid less want the same contract. The system seems to me that once one player is earning a certain amount, that is what all players at your club will want. Dynamics and Player Power has been far too excessive for years.

Edited by Smoo

On 12/03/2022 at 20:07, jere_d said:

I think they intentionally made contracts in this game warped and nonsensical 

Look at this here I offered oblack 250K 4 years and important player perfectly in line with wages at my club he would be the 2nd highest player.

A madrid offer 215K on a 1 year deal and you get some cock and bull story about how he was impressed that they paid sooooooooo much compared to what they could afford and how my offer disappointed because he knows I can pay more!

dunno how he could know that when only the STAR player earns more than he would have

not many footballers take less to stay at a smaller club on a shorter contract it all doesnt make sense  but FM init

20220312195447_1.jpg

20220320175418_1.thumb.jpg.5ebf828891ab04f40687e9499a017add.jpg

Six months later he refuses to talk about signing on a free transfer stating how he's gonna wait till the summer

Then signs a contract extension for even less money!!!!

It's actually amazing how tilted contracts are to the AI