• Defensive disaster leads to ridiculously soft goal

CFuller
    • Files Uploaded: None Public Status: Need More Info

Description of issue

There are multiple issues with this goal, starting at around 43:35.

The move starts when Betis midfielder William Carvalho plays a direct ball out right to Rodri, who initially goes after it but then suddenly backs off, allowing the Getafe defender Angileri to intercept. Surely Rodri should be more eager to go after the ball here?

Then Anglieri goes for an unnecessary header across his backline. (Yet another unnecessary header by a defender in this ME.) Wouldn't it be more realistic for him to take the ball with his feet, and then pass back to either his defender or another goalkeeper?

Lastly, both Getafe centre-backs Domingos and Mitrovic react incredibly slowly to the header when it looks like Domingos especially should collect it easily. By contrast, the Betis striker Højlund reacts instantly and takes the ball, leaving Domingos swinging at thin air as Højlund scores a very soft goal.

This is pretty much the state of defending in Football Manager 2023. It's moments like these that completely take me out of this game.

Getafe v Betis.pkm

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• SI Staff

Interesting one to see, my instinct is the animation resulting in the defender being a couple of yards further out than he actually is. However, its of course much better to let QA check this one out further to get a better understanding of what has happened.

• Administrators

Appreciate it's been a while, but can I ask how you're finding it on the game since the turn of the year? Have things improved/got worse/much the same?

Let us know either way and I'll make sure the match team is made aware in case any further changes are required.