• Home V Away: Goal scoring not in line with real life

wazzaflow10
    • Public Status: Under Review Files Uploaded: None

There is something wrong with team performance in home v away. I simmed four seasons on full detail for the premier league. There's just simply not enough goals coming from away teams.

Over the four seasons simmed there have been:

• 2394 goals scored for home teams,
    • an average of 29.9 per team
    • with a standard deviation of 12.2.

Compared to the four most recent non covid affected seasons in real life there have been:

• 2362 goals scored (-30 really good!)
    • an average of 29.5 per team
    • and a std dev of 11.3

these are pretty much equal and a t test fails to reject any hypothesis that these are different distributions. No complaints on the number of goals scored at home. - 30 goals over 4 years is exactly the kind of randomness we'd expect.

However for away teams in FM 23:

• they have only scored 1647 goals.
    • for an average of 20.6 per team
    • and a standard deviation of 7.95

In real life away teams:

• 1865 goals scored (difference of ~+220 goals)
    • an average of 23.3 per team
    • and a standard deviation of 7.7

More importantly this results in a rejection of the null hypothesis at the 5% level. Indicating there is simply not enough goals scored by away teams in this game. Even given this small sample size of sim tests, it confirms what I've been seeing while watching games in the match engine where away teams players make significantly more "mistakes" than they should be given their talent level. Some of these the ME don't even mark as events.

To understand what's wrong I ranked teams via points from real life and the sim into 80 rows each from high to low (rank 1 is most points rank 80 is fewest points). Above zero indicates more goals were scored (and in later graphs, conceded) in real life than the sim. I did rolling average of 5 teams on either side of the ranking. There's no real pattern here. Every team seems to suffer a bit in goal scoring when playing away. The 10-20 placed teams are benefitting a bit from being grouped in with the title contending teams and would fall more in line over repeated sampling to show a more smoothed feature where they slot in between 1-10 and 20-30 more nicely in both graphs. 

image.png.e7427d5e4dcb87b09559b440bb730c72.png

The bigger effect I think is seen that teams simply don't concede enough at home. The spearman rank coefficient here is .03 and not statistically significant. It should be noted though that the effect may not be linear when looking at the graph. There should be about 3 goals more conceded per team at home on average for all teams in a season. The home effect appears to peak around the mid table teams (between 30-60) where we're probably losing out ~4-5 goals against a year per team. 

image.png.f030abcc68564be85853f5950f4a1c6e.png

What does this do for actual results? Well, interestingly away points won pretty much mirrors the home goals conceded plot. Title contending squads and relegation level teams aren't winning enough games relative to their real life counterparts

image.png.18345510a03475d7945f5e28285bff55.png

My conclusion? I think playing at home is too overpowered. The obvious answer is that away mentality in the game is too low. Particularly with relegation scrapping teams. I disagree with that notion. In watching many games I've noticed that there are a lot of events where an away player will behave very, very differently than they do at home; that is certainly an understandable and desirable effect. Teams generally perform much better at home. Based on the evidence here we are bang on for home performance in terms of scoring goals. It appears that away teams are nerfed too much (particularly mid tables teams and below in the Premier League) in composure, decision making, morale/motivation or some component of technical abilities to replicate a sufficient number of goals scored by away teams. 

tables for the sim and RL.

image.png.d25529cdb9cf74b98848605e6f54c44a.png

image.png.9917d1f8d1966376b0586655989965cc.png

image.png.2d2417cdfeecc0f721cbd3e5fc62c6f6.png

image.png.98d3bf2319e5e7b912986d80e63aa2bf.png

2021-22 PL RL results

image.png.7fb69549375d1b1cdfdb389584435373.png

2018-19 PL RL results

image.png.0ca20a452acba63464fb6ae335eb4e10.png

2017-2018

image.png.72e86fec5f307fc31ff30c49796bf645.png

image.png.8f720050f6abb823b4ef3c02ded92074.png

image.png

image.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Some additional graphs.

relegation teams get hammered in this match engine when playing away. Even after adjusting for the blackburn outlier of 60 goals against. 

image.png.1a0f7331b22536399057eb9e6c12dab1.png

image.png.6d477d071de3be4f96451de5bbb0e3f5.png

And home goals scored mostly okay. Relegation teams should score more and mid table teams should score less is really the only trend but we're not far off here. 

image.png.d30dfd98a1589bb894d4ac7644867cda.png

• SI Staff

There's a lot of information and a lot of effort in this post. Thanks for taking the time to go in depth. Our QA team will take a look over these figures, but it is getting into a little more of an abstract and complex area in this regard. 

15 minutes ago, Michael Sant said:

There's a lot of information and a lot of effort in this post. Thanks for taking the time to go in depth. Our QA team will take a look over these figures, but it is getting into a little more of an abstract and complex area in this regard. 

Thanks Michael. I know you guys do soak test frequently and it's possibly come up on your radar. I don't expect a silver bullet here obviously since this isn't a traditional bug fix. I don't recall it being as drastic in the release day version, hence the post. Main frustration in the game is currently looking like rockstars at home and then sunday league players away - in an extreme sense. 

I did another test in Spain (2 actually) as an "out of sample" validation. I'd be happy to share the results if it's helpful - though its mostly the same conclusion.