Nicolas Otamendi

CraigGore

yup.. he's not rated in this version of the game...

its only since diego cam in that he has come into the limelight..

also.. that description of monster is a bit deceptive... he's a very short CB reletively speaking and 'monster' to me says huge giant of a man

you didnt miss much sned ;)

i have just checked other saved games, and there all pretty much the same, 2-3 seasons in, and 4-5 seasons in.. disapointing!

yup.. he's not rated in this version of the game...

its only since diego cam in that he has come into the limelight..

also.. that description of monster is a bit deceptive... he's a very short CB reletively speaking and 'monster' to me says huge giant of a man

So you wouldn't describe Nemanjda Vidic / Carles Puyol / Even Maldini in heyday as a monsters of a CB's

You don't have to be tall to be a monster defender. I think Vidic is possible the monster of a all centre backs but Ferdinand, Terry and Nesta would make him look like a dwarf

So you wouldn't describe Nemanjda Vidic / Carles Puyol / Even Maldini in heyday as a monsters of a CB's

You don't have to be tall to be a monster defender. I think Vidic is possible the monster of a all centre backs but Ferdinand, Terry and Nesta would make him look like a dwarf

Haha, what are you talking about?! Vidic is 6ft 2 where as Ferdinand is 6ft 2, Terry is 6ft 2 and Nesta is 6ft 2... There all the same size lol!! :rolleyes:

He is a

-7pa

irl he is a monster, eats up forwards for breakfast. Even though he is tiny he is great in the air, quick and he can read the game. If he keeps improving he'l be up their with great argentine defenders like Passarella.

He doesn't look all that impressive at all on the game, although he's supposed to be pretty nifty IRL

I think the time when small defenders could be good has passed though, that type of player died when Baresi retired to be honest, it's just my opinion though :)

I think the time when small defenders could be good has passed though, that type of player died when Baresi retired to be honest, it's just my opinion though :)

The same with all small players tbh, which is a shame. Argentina and maybe a few other South american countries produce small players mainly because of the physiology of the populations (most tend to be small).

The trend is for tall athletic players rather than small players, it's the same in all sports.

However some of the best players in football are tiny; Aguero, Messi, Mascherano (all argentines aha)

and some of the best have been; Makalele, Maradona, Baresi.

I'm a fan of the smaller and less athletic players rather than 6ft 13st monsters.

Completely agree with you mate, but small players generally don't make good centre backs, more advanced positions and well, they speak for themselves really, like you said there's been some quality smaller players over the years.

It's more in England where smaller players are less in favour, this is mainly because academies seem to prefer the taller, fitter players, rather than the more skillful/technically gifted players

Yeah I agree with Piddy. I remember reading that both Joe Cole and Shaun Wright Philips were told they probably wouldn't make it in the professional game as they were too small when they were younger (not sure Shaun Wright Philips has grown much since then actually :D).

There seems to be an obsession lately with tall, strong players instead of those small quick skillful players with a low centre of gravity. Even the Brazilian's seem to be focusing more on strength rather than really skillful players lately.

As has been mentioned Argentina seem to be the country with a different approach. Messi, Aquero, Saviola and Aimar being the most famous examples. When watching the Toulon under 20 tournament on TV, I couldn't believe it both Diego Buonotte (sp) and Maximilo Moralez are midgets. It will be interesting to see if they make it at the very highest level. They certainly have the skill/technique.

I've noticed in FM2009 very small players with low strength tend to struggle a bit when played in the centre of the pitch. When I moved Buonotte to the left wing though the guy was immense :D

was going to say... vidic is a monster.. he's 6'2 .. arent too many pro's taller then him or bigger then him around ...

Archived