[FM09] 香港 - Pearl of the Orient

Raware

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now you must be getting bored, All the Continetal cups are won. :D

:D It took some effort but yeah, i finally won all the continental cups. The only disappointment was failing to defend my ACL crown the following year :(. If possible i want to try and become the constant force in Asia as i have in Hong Kong...that means winning the ACL every year...

...then when i've done that i've got the Hong Kong national team to take to the world cup! In 6 years i haven't made it past the 1st round qualifying yet though! :(

How the finances Raware.

Who was the European team in your Club World cup and did you beat them

The finances are looking healthy. £22 million in the bank thanks to some offers on players i couldn't turn down, most notably my Tunisian GK, Ahmed Jaouachi, who a few years ago went to CSKA Moscow for £10 million! Also, my Brazilian defender Anderson who went to Coritiba for £2.5 million, my Costa Rican striker, Kenneth Flores who went to RBC for £3.1 million and this season my Chinese centre half Li Haibo to Braga for £3.5 million and my Chinese striker Zhan Xiaodong to Leiria for £3.9 million. I didn't want to lose any of them but 1) the offers were too good to turn down and 2) they were becoming unhappy as they wanted moves to bigger clubs.

As for the CWC, i was very lucky with the draw. Chivas beat Marseille in the Semi Final which gave me a chance in the final. I think if i'd of played Marseille, i'd of been hammered.

Another great career Raware and a fantastic achievement in winning the Club World Championship. :thup: This time it seems you've stuck with one club though - do you think you will ever leave or is it a case of being too far into it now?

How are the other Hong Kong clubs faring? Have they improved as a result of your success or are they just battling with each other for 2nd and getting hammered in the continental competitions?

Another great career Raware and a fantastic achievement in winning the Club World Championship. :thup: This time it seems you've stuck with one club though - do you think you will ever leave or is it a case of being too far into it now?

How are the other Hong Kong clubs faring? Have they improved as a result of your success or are they just battling with each other for 2nd and getting hammered in the continental competitions?

Cheers DodgeeD, it was with some hard work and some luck that i managed to win the Club World Championship. I haven't managed to win it again yet though :( I've managed to get to the Quarter's of the ACL but that's all. Without winning that again i can't qualify for the CWC.

Yeah, i thought i'd try and stick with one club in this save. It was a save i had previously on FM08 last year and have just gone back to it. I'll probably try and stay at the one club for the duration...if i'm not tempted that is :D

As for the other HK teams...they're shocking to be honest. The only team that can probably give me a run is Dongguan who are actually based in China so they're allowed to sign Chinese players without them being 'counted' as foreign players.

Hi Raware, I have just caught up.

Congratulations on the huge success. You must be the Greatest manager in Hong Kong football history with all those trophies.

The Asian Champions league has been illusive apart from the one occasion, but your team seems to have steadily improved in that competition. Are you one of the favourite to win it nowerdays? Or are you still the underdog?

Cheers WH Yeah, i'm ranked as the top manager in HK now, although it hasn't really been that difficult considering the lack of competition there. I'm trying to sign just HK players to try and make it a little more competitive but there simply aren't any, apart from the odd few, hence me signing a lot of foreigners.

The ACL is so difficult to win with teams like Saitama (Japan), Wellington (Australia), Melbourne (Australia), Suwon (South Korea), etc playing in it. They are just too strong for me. As you mentioned, i managed to win it once but that really was down to a lot of luck with results and the draw. I'm nowhere near favourites to win it each year but i'm managing to qualify from the group stages each year which i'm pleased about.

I really want to sign home grown players but if i'm to compete continentally then i've really got no choice but to sign foreigners and get them to take HK nationality after 7 years (Chinese are 3 years).

I'm also the HK national team manager so that's something else that gives me an aim to achieve. Although, i'm really struggling and haven't made it past the World Cup qualifying 1st round stage yet in 6 years!

Judging by the lack of responses to my thread would people like more information on my career? I'm finally up to date now on this save with the updates so i'll now be able to provide more screen shots e.g. team roster etc.

So, here is my current team roster :

133678-1.png

Happy Valley Athletic Association

愉園體育會

20-21Teamroster.jpg

And the player profiles :

:D Because of the lack of decent HK nationals, i've had no choice but to get foreigners in and wait for them to gain their citizenship if i wanted to challenge continentally. Plus, i'm the HK national manager so that's another advantage of getting foreigners in and gaining their citizenship, although i've had no luck so far on the international scene. In 7 years i've still not made it past the 1st qualifying stage for the World Cup :(

Here's my ideal starting XI, as you know there's a limit of 7 foreigners allowed. The stars of the team currently are Ng Ka Lok, Jovan Novakovic, Yu Zhixin, Wang Zhimin, Clive Mtshali and Yan Xiaodong. Wang Xuanhong, Bae Chun-Suk, Choi Jin-Su and Yoon Bit-Garam have been regulars in my team for the past 10 years and have been the driving force behind my success but they're ageing fast and i'll probably have to find adequate replacements soon. There's a few youngsters who may be able to step up in a couple of years but i'll have to wait and see if they actually can.

21-22StartingXI.jpg

Why dont you try to improve your youth facilties to improve the quality of the Hong Kong team

I've been requesting that for the past 10 or so years but the board keep coming back to me saying that the club have one of the best training/youth facilities in the league. They're still only classed as average though :( I've also been requesting a stadium expansion every year and only this year have they expanded the ground from 8200 to 12000. The problem is that all of the teams in the HK league share the ground (Mongkok stadium - yes, Mongkok is a place ;)) which makes it difficult to expand. Because of the lack of space here it's difficult to get a new stadium...unless you build it in the new territories which people aren't going to travel to just to watch football.

Still enjoying your updates, hope you get more success with the ACL. :thup:

I was wondering if you could post shots of your best players profiles?

Glad you're still enjoying them Thistles * player :thup:

I'm hoping for more success in the ACL too. I seemed to have taken a step backwards in the competition in the last few years since winning it and now i'm struggling to qualify from the group stage. I think the main reason is because you can only have a maximum of 3 foreigners registered for the competition and my HK players are getting old fast and are past their prime. Hopefully, the Chinese players i have will gain HK citizenship soon and then they can play in the ACL, giving me a stronger team.

I've updated my post with my team in (post #72) which now includes all player profiles. As you can see i've got some really promising players. I'm just hoping they'll stay at the club as several of the bigger European teams are starting to sniff around them.

Glad you're still enjoying them Thistles * player :thup:

I'm hoping for more success in the ACL too. I seemed to have taken a step backwards in the competition in the last few years since winning it and now i'm struggling to qualify from the group stage. I think the main reason is because you can only have a maximum of 3 foreigners registered for the competition and my HK players are getting old fast and are past their prime. Hopefully, the Chinese players i have will gain HK citizenship soon and then they can play in the ACL, giving me a stronger team.

I've updated my post with my team in (post #72) which now includes all player profiles. As you can see i've got some really promising players. I'm just hoping they'll stay at the club as several of the bigger European teams are starting to sniff around them.

Looking at your players, it just reminds me at their horrible physical attributes in regens for FM08. :(

Some of them look really good though. :thup:

Looking at your players, it just reminds me at their horrible physical attributes in regens for FM08. :(

Some of them look really good though. :thup:

I know...the physical attributes were a major problem in FM08 :(

However, there are more issues with 09 that I have compared to 08 which is why i've gone back to 08. In the end, 09 just really frustrated me (tactical ambiguity etc) and what I want is to enjoy the game not get frustrated in my leisure time. Shame really as 09 could've been brilliant, again in my opinion. I'm loving 08 though and really enjoying FM again.

I know...the physical attributes were a major problem in FM08 :(

However, there are more issues with 09 that I have compared to 08 which is why i've gone back to 08. In the end, 09 just really frustrated me (tactical ambiguity etc) and what I want is to enjoy the game not get frustrated in my leisure time. Shame really as 09 could've been brilliant, again in my opinion. I'm loving 08 though and really enjoying FM again.

I'll say as bad as FM09 is (I have a couple bugs in my career game...), at least they don't have the broken confidence system in addition to the regen problem. That pretty much killed most of my FM08 saves. :(

Good Work steering Happy Valley to Enlightenment!

Hate to say but how did you get hose curvy arrows on your starting 11?? Would benefit me immensely :)

Have any other job offers come in as of late?

This save is on FM08 Sax that's why i can use the 'curvy' arrows. In FM09 these have been taken out. I think there's been some in depth discussion on GD about the exclusion of them. I like them though and they make creating a tactic so much easier, my players actually do what i want them to! :D

I had an offer from Schalke a few years ago but turned that down. Other than that no actual firm offers but my name is flying around the media, linking me to loads of clubs including the likes of Juventus, Chelsea, Liverpool, Dortmund and Valencia! I'm not sure if i'd take a job as i want to try and make Happy Valley a force in Asia...but i'm never saying never, it depends if the right job offer came along ;)

I had an offer from Schalke a few years ago but turned that down. Other than that no actual firm offers but my name is flying around the media, linking me to loads of clubs including the likes of Juventus, Chelsea, Liverpool, Dortmund and Valencia! I'm not sure if i'd take a job as i want to try and make Happy Valley a force in Asia...but i'm never saying never, it depends if the right job offer came along ;)

They must think you are mad Raware. What's your manager's description? "Crazy but Effective?" :D

They must think you are mad Raware. What's your manager's description? "Crazy but Effective?" :D

:D Probably :D In my last save on FM09 i went through 5 clubs in 25 years. I think in this save i might try and replicate something along the lines of what Nep did with Knockbreda...well, dominating domestic football that is, not re-producing the likes of Wallace and Smylie! I don't think i've got a chance of doing that as 1) There aren't enough good home-grown players coming through and 2) There's not enough games for a striker to get into the 1,000 goal club...unless he scores 50+ a season for 20 years! Saying that though, my striker Clive Mtshali netted 47 in all competitions last year but he's 24 now.

It's interesting that Chinese players are classed as foreign, especially as China has apparently kicked up a fuss in the past about Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan being listed as seperate countries in FM! Have any of your foreign players over the years been capped by their respective nations?

Another fantastic career Raware How many games do you play a season in HK?

Cheers hamilton :thup: There aren't too many games in HK. 18 league games, 3 games in the Senior Sheild if you make it to the final, 6 games in the League Cup if you make it to the final and 3 games in the FA Cup if you make it to the final. So, 30 games a season. Then you've got the Asian Champions League which is a similar format to the UEFA Champions League - Group then knockout stages. As you can tell from that, the seasons fly by!

After a go of South Korea in 2007, I gotta say Yoon Bit-Garam is a legend.

(first time I commented one of these, I'm usually reading but just have nothing to say)

Cheers for the comment Dave :thup: You should comment more often ;) Yoon Bit-Garam has been an absolute legend for me. My scouts found him in my first season and i have to say i'd never heard of him. But it was clear to see straight away that he was class. He's been my captain since 2010 and he's still going strong. I reckon he's got another couple of seasons in him before i'll have to replace him. It's going to be difficult as he's been a top player for my side for the past 12-13 years. Top player though :thup:

It's interesting that Chinese players are classed as foreign, especially as China has apparently kicked up a fuss in the past about Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan being listed as seperate countries in FM! Have any of your foreign players over the years been capped by their respective nations?

Yeah, it's an interesting point about Chinese players being classed as foreigners as like you, i'd of thought they'd wouldn't of been considering the fuss China kicked up in the past, as you said. There's a team called Dongguan, who are actually classed as a Chinese club but play in the HK league so they're able to sign a lot of Chinese players with out having them classed as foreigners. They're just starting to get some good players in now and are slowly catching me up so my dominance may be under threat soon!

As for my foreign players being capped by their respective nations...i've had a few. Lagos and Martinez are regulars in the Honduras squad, Yoon Seok-Young has got 2 caps for S.Korea, Aseeri has 19 caps for Sudan, Usmonov has 46 caps for Uzbekistan, Mtshali has 2 caps for S.Africa and i've had a few who've been capped for China. Shame really as seeing as i'm the HK national coach, i'd of liked to have had those players in my HK team once they gained citizenship! It would've made my job as the national coach a little more enjoyable

Just wondering because if you find a striker that can score at a rate of 2 goals a game and keep him for his entire career, the Danny Roberts Challenge of 1,000 goals in a career could become a reality! :D

I've actually just signed a 19 year old Chinese striker (regen) called Han Liang who looks very promising. He bagged a brace on his debut so if he can keep that up for the next 15-20 years then yes, hopefully he could be a contender for the Danny Roberts Challenge :D What a feat that would be! I'll post his profile in my next update.

Excellent story. I enjoy your presentation of your stories and I also enjoyed your Lurgen Celtic story.

Cheers The Wet Jigsaw Interesting user name too :D Glad you liked the presentation of my career, i wasn't sure if people were enjoying the similar format to my last thread. Glad you enjoyed my From Hong Kong With Love thread too. I would of liked to have continued that game but unfortunately 09 and all of it's issues were just too much for me. Really enjoying 08 again now.

133678-1.png

Happy Valley Athletic Association

愉園體育會

Pearl-of-the-Orient-21-22-1.jpg

Happy Valley - So, another great start to the new season for us, racking up 9 wins in 10 games with only South China stopping us from claiming a perfect start. As you can see, a few faces have left the club as I looked to trim down the squad. The majority of the players that have left had been at the club for some time and failed to force their way into my plans. One player i was disappointed to see leave was David Bailey (no, not that David Bailey...a South African regen who signed some years ago). At one point he was attracting the interest of some European clubs and requested a transfer as he got too big for his boots. Upon this request i wasn't too pleased about his apparent lack of loyalty so left him to rot in the reserves. No team came in for him and eventually he disappeared into obscurity until Dongguan put in offer for him which i felt i had to accept considering his high wage and lack of first team football. Plus he was still unhappy so he was on his way.

Coming in are 2 Chinese players Zhang Xianyi and Han Liang who both look like exciting prospects and are already involved with the China under 21 squad. I'm particularly excited about Han Liang who has bagged 4 in 8 since his arrival, including a brace on his debut. Who knows if he can score on a regular basis and i can keep him for his entire career, he could well make the 1,000 goal club along side Wallace, Roberts and Smylie :D

League table

Hong Kong - Once again, no competitive fixtures this year for us so it was just friendlies. A spirited fight against a good New Zealand side who are ranked 65th in the world was a highlight despite a 6-3 loss. Kitchee's Poon Chun Man scored a brace on his debut and looks set to have a bright international career. The only other game for us was a visit to the Millenium Stadium where we again, put up a spirited fight but Wales were just too strong. We have now dropped 16 places to 195th in the world rankings :(.

Cheers Corinthiano, glad you're enjoying the read :thup: I think this probably has to be my favourite and probably most successful save on any CM/FM ever! I'm still really enjoying playing this save too and hopefully i will do for a lot more seasons to go. I wonder if i could reach the 22nd century on this save? :D

Out of interest, how did you do on 05 with Happy Valley? I never really payed much interest in the HK league until i actually knew i was moving here but i've really enjoyed playing here.

I dominated domestically, but continentally I only won the Asian Confederations Cup and never did well in the ACL. Back then the league only had 8 teams I think so the season flew by even quicker!! I only played there because I thought it was the most obscure league in FM, but really enjoyed it, even though the quality of football played is pretty poor!

Sounds similar to my save. I'm totally dominating domestically but struggling continentally and have won the Asian Confederation Cup once. I have managed to win the ACL once and the CWC once...thanks to a lot of luck on the way. I seem to be struggling in the ACL now though and have taken some steps backwards in the competition; now i'm finding it difficult to qualify from the group stages :( The quality of football hasn't changed, it's still poor which is what is making my job as the HK national team manager even harder. It's tough to even get an international win with so few decent players coming through. Really enjoying it though and glad to have you reading my progress :thup:

Archived