[FM2007] San Marino "double" Challenge

Ter

I think C1A is the North of Italy, and C1B is the South of Italy.

Given San Marino are somewhere in the middle, they are prone to change.

I got higher attendances in C1A, this may be due to several factors.

1) Larger population in the North and larger football following.

2) I had had a stadium expansion since being in C1B.

3) I had just come from Serie B, so my rep may have increased.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all. I've just had a computer crashed and I can't play all of my saved games. I must begin from 0. icon_frown.gif Now I decide to take this challenge. A little bit though. But I'll enjoy this. I'll post my screenshot maybe tonight. icon_smile.gif

I've seen the San Marino squad. Are they lack of DM? icon_confused.gif

1 more question: Do I have to buy players only from San Marino as the policy like Athletic Bilbao?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fastbasher:

3) I had just come from Serie B, so my rep may have increased. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen the same thing after being moved to the C1A, and neither 2 nor 3 were true in my case. The jump in attendance was dramatic: I was close to capacity almost every game after struggling to sell a quarter of the tickets the year before in the C1B.

It's been a while since I last saw the San Marino starting squad, but from memory I think the were lacking in every position, not just DM.

Regarding signing policy. No, not just players from San Marino. Ter has left the rules pretty much up to the individual. It is a casual challenge, that you make yourself.

I am sticking to scouted players, but I see some have managed to get players outside my scouting range so far.

The popular choice has been to take San Marino the club first and get success with it. This is partly because the national team is so bad at the beginning, they are lucky to score a goal, let alone qualify for a major tournament.

The thinking seems to be that if we can get San Marino success in the Serie A and improved Training/youth facilities, then we will hopefully get better San Marinese regens to help with the second part of the challenge.

I'm not sure about how we will get the National job though, as they are unlikely to fire the current manager, and waiting for him to retire could take a while. I'm thinking of offering the national manager an ass man job to see how it affects his career, as he is part time at a local San Marinese club at present.

How do the rest of you think we should get this job?

My personal feeling is that if it becomes available, we have to apply immediately, otherwise we could be waiting a while. Even if this means playing several years of games where we get pounded.

Oh, and make your nationality San Marinese. It will help with getting the national job should it become available.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bzl:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fastbasher:

3) I had just come from Serie B, so my rep may have increased. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen the same thing after being moved to the C1A, and neither 2 nor 3 were true in my case. The jump in attendance was dramatic: I was close to capacity almost every game after struggling to sell a quarter of the tickets the year before in the C1B. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Average attendance 06/07 in C1B: 1750

Average attendance 07/08 in C1B: 2499

Average attendance 09/10 in C1A: 6895

That is quite some jump. Anyone know if the league rep is the same for both of them?

Mus be a higher following of the northern teams.

Well season 3 was going great towards the end of the season went on a 18 game unbeaten run thinking yes I am going to take the league, possibly the cup with a semi final appearance.

Then all my strikers got injured out for months, so for all the last matches I had to play midfielders and youths upfront.

So ended up finishing second and getting knocked out the cup, sitting thinking thats alright can win the playoffs.

First round beat padova with midfielders upfront.

Final v Bologna got beat by a goal just didnt have the firepower to score one.

Feeling = Gutted

But on the upside we have started to make profit.

now a balance of 1.8 million and a new sponser deal of 140k a season looks promising.

Signed a load of players was going to post later ...

BUT

The data update is out and now I am contemplating a fresh start again.

• SI Staff

Well I've been on quite a good run of games so far and find myself in 4th place after 11 matches, which is very pleasing. Haven't conceded a goal in six league matches since my 16-year-old Romanian keeper filled in for my injured two first choice keepers who have now lost their place and are now second and third choice behind the young boy.

Esmir Sabic and Felipe Giacomini are attracting a lot of interest and Sabic has said he wants to leave to join a bigger team and win trophies icon_frown.gif He is now valued at £275k though so hopefully I'll get a large offer for him in January that will enable me to bring in some more quality players before I lose all the money. I have a decent replacement for him already so it wouldn't be too much of a blow to lose him.

Hopefully I can continue this good run of form icon14.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Piacenza | | 18 | 11 | 6 | 1 | 30 | 13 | +17 | 39 |

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Bologna | | 18 | 12 | 3 | 3 | 36 | 13 | +23 | 39 |

| 3rd | | Monza | | 18 | 12 | 2 | 4 | 29 | 21 | +8 | 38 |

| 4th | | Pistoiese | | 18 | 9 | 2 | 7 | 18 | 20 | -2 | 29 |

| 5th | | Pavia | | 18 | 7 | 4 | 7 | 18 | 21 | -3 | 25 |

| 6th | | Como | | 18 | 6 | 5 | 7 | 26 | 23 | +3 | 23 |

| 7th | | Novara | | 18 | 6 | 5 | 7 | 24 | 22 | +2 | 23 |

| 8th | | Triestina | | 18 | 6 | 5 | 7 | 27 | 22 | +5 | 23 |

| 9th | | Cittadella | | 18 | 5 | 8 | 5 | 22 | 18 | +4 | 23 |

| 10th | | Lumezzane | | 18 | 6 | 5 | 7 | 18 | 23 | -5 | 23 |

| 11th | | Spezia | | 18 | 6 | 4 | 8 | 22 | 25 | -3 | 22 |

| 12th | | Pro Patria | | 18 | 5 | 7 | 6 | 21 | 20 | +1 | 22 |

| 13th | | San Marino | | 18 | 4 | 9 | 5 | 20 | 21 | -1 | 21 |

| 14th | | Venezia | | 18 | 4 | 7 | 7 | 13 | 25 | -12 | 19 |

| 15th | | Reggiana | | 18 | 4 | 6 | 8 | 19 | 23 | -4 | 18 |

| 16th | | Padova | | 18 | 4 | 6 | 8 | 19 | 26 | -7 | 18 |

| 17th | | Pro Sesto | | 18 | 4 | 5 | 9 | 17 | 26 | -9 | 17 |

| 18th | | Ravenna | | 18 | 4 | 5 | 9 | 19 | 36 | -17 | 17 |

</pre>

Thats my third season, can't remember the league ever being that close icon_redface.gif

Just won for the the first time in 8 league games. A bad run and we will be in a real relegation battle, a good run and we could reach the playoffs.

Im signing a few promising San Marinese players for free in January from San Marinese clubs. Two of them the scout said they are potentially good Serie B players icon_cool.gif

I've just aranged my San Marino squad before I go to bed.

Brothers and sisters, this is the manager willing to try his luck with San Marino, Yves Revi.

I've signed San Marinese scout, Giovanni Bonifazi, for addition to my backroom staff because the board allowed me to have 2 scouts.

As I've said above, I felt my squad lack of DM. So, I've signed Gerardo Alfano from Cavese for €18K. I've played him directly in my 1st friendly match against my parent club, Cesena.

This is the match:

San Marino 1 - 0 Cesena

Player Ratings

Well, I was quite surprised. It was about luck I think. icon_smile.gif

My 2nd signing was Emiliano Corsi. He cost me €80K to bring him away from Giulianova. He's still young, but supporters were excited because of this transfer. I hope he'll become a good player for me. icon_smile.gif

Tomorrow I'll post my next update. icon_smile.gif

n.b. For all of you, how is your game? Is it though? I ask this because I think other clubs have signed some good players, including Mourad Meghni loaned by Perugia from Bologna.

• SI Staff

In my game (second season) I've got Mourad Meghni on loan from Bologna (my parent club) and to be honest he's not really that great. I'm playing him out of position though as he won't get a game wide right so I've been playing him wide left.

• SI Staff

Well, as the San Marino juggernaut roars into March 2008, things are looking good for Titani. Sitting in 4th place in the league on a mere 40 points, it's quite tight up there with the playouts being only 10 points away so there is still everything to play for. Avellino are running away with the league and are 11 points clear at the top with 56 so it looks like the best I can hope for is the playoffs, which I'll be very pleased with.

I've been going through a bit of a sticky patch lately and after three defeats in a row had three draws in a row, but I won my last game 1-0 away to bottom of the league Foggia and have a home game against 14th placed Taranto. The game after that is the big one away to Avellino who have only lost once this season away to Nocerina when they went down to ten men early on so it's going to be a tough match.

Esmir Sabic is unhappy and feels he has achieved all he can at San Marino and wants to move on at the end of the season, but, like I said, he won't be moving on unless I get a good offer for him. I promised him that I would let him go at the end of the season, but that was just to keep him happy icon_wink.gif He's valued at £325k now and Le Mans, Leverkusen, Chievo, Juventus and Udinese are currently interested in him.

Felipe Giocamini (my other sellable asset) is now worth a staggering £425k and has been performing well. He's not wanting to leave just yet, which is good, but if I get a good offer in the summer then I'm going to take it to strenghten the squad. Newcastle, Brescia, Genoa and Modena are currently interested.

I've had bother finding the net recently and Giovanni Abate has been going through a bit of an unfortunate barren spell, but that has improved over the past few games so hopefully my team are back on track and can hit some form in the final run in.

So here we are in december 2007, currently lying in 3rd place in the league after 11 games. Had quite a few injuries and the suspensions from last year still havent calmed down.

Modena are running away with the league and look uncatchable already as they are 11 points clear of second place and im a further point back. I a having no trouble scoring( have second most in the league) but am letting in too many, 20 in 15 league games.

The summer signings that arent injured are looking good with 9 goals for Russotto and 4 goals and two assists for Villabla. But havent had a chance to see much of Leonardi after a broken leg but hes just getting back to fitness now so things should start to get better.

The disciple thing is really getting to me now. Has anyone else found that you cant go two games without a red and im getting at least three yellows a game. Then when i fine the player who gets a red they say they are unhappy. Anyone else had these problems or is it jsut me?

Friendly Results

San Marino 1 - 2 Karlsruhe

Simone Berardi[/b]

Villaverla 2 - 0 San Marino

Pontedera 2 - 2 San Marino

Giovanni Abate

Davide Tedoldi

Ospitaletto 1 - 0 San Marino

If I faced a professional team, I used my "A" team as the 1st XI.

If I faced a semi-professional team, I used my "B" team as the 1st XI. The bench was full of my "A" team.

If I faced an amateur team, I used my "B" team as the 1st XI and I gave chances for my U-20.

icon_smile.gif

Oh yes, I cancelled a friendly match with Badalona though it was with such a heavy heart. icon_frown.gif The reason was that I thought to recover my squad before facing Pistoiese in Serie-C Cup in 4 days after the last friendly.

I'm in Serie-C Cup Group F along with Ancona, Pisa, Pistoiese, and Prato. I hope a success here. icon_smile.gif

Friendly Results

San Marino 1 - 2 Karlsruhe

Simone Berardi

Villaverla 2 - 0 San Marino

Pontedera 2 - 2 San Marino

Giovanni Abate

Davide Tedoldi

Ospitaletto 1 - 0 San Marino

If I faced a professional team, I used my "A" team as the 1st XI.

If I faced a semi-professional team, I used my "B" team as the 1st XI. The bench was full of my "A" team.

If I faced an amateur team, I used my "B" team as the 1st XI and I gave chances for my U-20.

icon_smile.gif

Oh yes, I cancelled a friendly match with Badalona though it was with such a heavy heart. icon_frown.gif The reason was that I thought to recover my squad before facing Pistoiese in Serie-C Cup in 4 days after the last friendly.

I'm in Serie-C Cup Group F along with Ancona, Pisa, Pistoiese, and Prato. I hope a success here. icon_smile.gif

Serie B 2010/11 season review

The league was dominated by Lazio from start to finish, everyone else was just playing for second place. The extra 'development' season in C1A seemed to help the team, and they certainly were not out of place in Serie B. At one point it looked like we might get automatic promotion, but in the end had to settle for a playoff position in a close 4th place.

The playoffs saw us dispatch Catania 3-1 away, then 0-1 at home, to tee up a finals spot against Piacenza. The matches never really lived up to their billing, as we overcame them 3-1 at home, then destroyed them 3-0 at their place. Serie A here we come, and hoping not for a quick return like when we first got to Serie B.

Nothing to write home about in the cup. Won the 1st qualifying round 2-1 at home to Salernitana, then lost in the 2nd 1-0 away to Avellino.

Transfers In

Luis Garces, 600k (Atalanta)

Raffaele Mazza, free (Torino), 21yo Left Back who I'm hoping can step up a level.

David De Paula, free transfer, backup right wing/striker with a fair bit of ability.

Krisztian Nemeth, free (Levski Sofia), first choice striker, with plenty of room for improvement.

Denis Boskailo, free transfer, new first choice defender.

Stefan Kielstrup, free transfer, solid midfielder.

Transfers Out

Riccardo Faty, free, Pescara

Peter Halmosi, free, Arezzo

plus 11 youths free released.

Faty and Halmosi, clearly didn't like having to play in Serie C and refused to sign new contracts.

Other Key players included our star goalkeeper, Pipolo, our defensive rock who scored 7 penalties, the fast improving young striker Nuti, and local hero Luca Del Prete. Del Prete now has 29 caps to his name and is still only 20yrs old. He wasnt selected for the last 3 games and I'm not sure why. He is by far the best player on the San Marino national team, and was a starter in a now Serie A team. (not sure he will start many this season though).

Training facilities have been upgraded and we have a comfy 5.1m in the bank. With our 16,000 seater stadium and Serie A gate takings, finances will not be a problem this season.

Our staff are solid, with 4/5 stars on all training areas. We have had some solid results against Serie A opposition in past friendlies, and I am predicting a finish somewhere just below mid table.

Haven't noticed a great deal of improvement in the National team, although they did get their 2nd win (in 5 years). A 2-1 away to Azerbaijan. As well as Del Prete, I also have two under 20 players playing for them. No sign that the National coach is going to get fired or retire though.

I really messed up the finances in this challenge and had absolutly no money to renew contracts and noone would buy my players.

I finished 7th in the 1st season but had to play in the playouts in the 2nd season and managed to stay up but only just. There was no way I was going to stay up in the 3rd season.

So I think that the best course of action is that I have decided to start again but this time taking more care over purchasing players and making sure I keep in the red.

• SI Staff

I managed to finish 3rd in C1/B and disposed of Giulianova and Bari (last minute goal to win!) in the Playoffs and reach Serie B.

I spent a long long team going through my squad and trying to get rid of people that wouldn't be good enough as I know from playing before that I would go straight back down if I didn't bring in some quality. I sold Esmir Sabic for £3.5m to Genoa which instantly sorted out my financial problems and gave me a fair bit of money in the bank to improve my squad. I thought I would have gone mad with the money but I've been good and bought wisely and brought in some good players on frees. Here are my major ins and outs so far this season (08/09)

IN

Lucas Correa (AM C) from Lazio (Free)

Alberto Pardo (GK) from Cadiz (Free)

Stanko Pavlovic (AM RL) from Kaiserslautern (Free)

Roberto Massaro (AM L) from Milan (Free)

German Caspedes (D C) on a free

Mauro Zanotti (D/WB L) from Carrarese (£14k)

Przemyslaw Trytko (S) from Cottbus (Free)

Robert Hirsz (S) from Lechia Gdansk (£10k)

OUT (24 players)

Luca Ceccarelli (AM RC) to Novara (£24k)

Johan Lapeyre (GK) to Lorca (£16k)

Luca Ferrari (AM/F C) to Valenzana (£3k)

Esmir Sabic (D C) to Genoa (£3.5m)

Serie B

When assessing my squad I got rid of most of my rather large U20 team and promoted Joaquin Forner (M C) who had done well playing for the U20s and when out on loan so he looked ready to make the step up to the first team. He deserved a chance at the very least. It was looking like I was going to lose Felipe Giacomini and hopefully get a similar fee to that of Sabic but he got a nasty injury and would be out for a few months, which was unfortunate really but meant I get to keep him until at least January. I already had a replacement in the impressive looking Pavlovic and Massaro to fill in on the left so my team was looking good. The worry was replacing the solid Sabic at the back, but I already had a replacement in Jeremy Sapina so he went straight into the team. Luca Del Prete also found himself promoted to the first team and it's a fight between him and Christian Giocamini for the right back slot, although Christian can play right wing as well so has been filling in there because of a few injuries.

My target this season is to stay up, and being a bit paranoid about not having enough good players, I brought in a few people on loan so that I have some options. I'm overloaded with midfielders so the main concern was the defence and attack where going in to the last week of August I only have Abate and Javi Arribas as attackers I wanted to keep. So in came Davide Tremolada (F C) on loan from Inter, Alfonso Roberto Delgado (S) on loan from Lazio, Enrico Travaini (S) on loan from Milan, Dennis Esposito (D C) on loan from Inter and Danilo Pistillo (D RLC) on loan from Livorno.

The Team

I decided to keep faith with my young keeper in goal and fill in some gaps with some of the quality new players. My first choice 11 is probably something like this, as it changes quite often icon_wink.gif

GK Adrian Viciu

DR Christian Giacomini

DL Mauro Zanotti

DC Devis Nossa

DC Jeremy Sapina

MC Nicola Napolitano

MC Joaquin Forner

MR Felipe Giacomini

ML Stanko Pavlovic

FC Giovanni Abate

FC Alfonso Roberto Delgado

The two Polish strikers I signed are looking good so far and I've got a young San Marinese striker joining in January who has scored a few goals for the national team.

The Start

My start to the Serie B campaign was surprising to say the least. After four games I was in second place and hadn't conceded a goal (1-0, 0-0, 1-0, 1-0) but it's been a bit hit and miss since then and any games I've won or lost since have been by the odd goal except a 3-0 home defeat by Catania and an undeserved 4-1 pumping at Modena. Hopefully I can keep grinding out results, especially against the teams below me and can secure safety before getting drawn into a relegation battle, but the past couple of seasons it has been very tight in Serie B so it looks like it could be an interesting season. I think I have enough to stay up though. That is my target for this season.

• SI Staff

Well after 28 games out of the 42 in Serie B, it's looking good as I'm sitting 9 points short of my "safety" target of 50 so it looks like the worst I will get this season is another season in Serie B, which I'm very pleased with. The finances are much improved through the sale of Sabic and the increase in gate money etc so I'm no longer making a loss. Not been able to convince the board to expand the stadium or anything yet but will try again at the end of the season when I have a bit more money.

I'm currently in 7th place at the moment, only 2 points behind Vicenza who are taking up the last playoff space. I'll be delighted if I make it that far at the end of the season.

btw, the young Polish striker I signed (Robert Hirsz) has been banging them in for the U20s. He's got 27 goals in 25 games so I think we might be seeing him feature for the first team soon.

Exelent challenge! Been wanting to take San Marino to glory since CM4, but the games haven't let me. Now it seems possible with FM2007.

So this is my first time on FM2007 playing in Italy, so I had no knowledge of the area at all. So I quickly brought in some San Marinese staff, and fired some of the old useless staff members, which instantly killed my budget.

I actually thought that the club had a decent squad, so no need to bring in too many players:

IN:

Salvatore Fresi (Old DC)

Joan David (youngster (San Marinese))

Luca Franceschelli (youngster)

Out:

None

Loaned 2 additional midfielders, and we were ready to conquer Serie C1B. From what I had read in this thread, I figured it would be a hard season, so we went for a defensive 442 with counter attacks. Very defensive.

After 7 games we had only conceded 1 goal! We stayed in 1st place until Perugia passed us after 15 games. We kept up with Perugia, and with 2 games left we were right behind them, tied for points. We tied our next game, but Perugia lost away to Salernitana, and we were 1st again.

We won the last game against Taranto, and we were promoted, only conceding 22 goals.

Serie C1B won

One player i want to mention is Luca Del Prete from the youth team. He challenged for a place in the line up at the end of the season, and actually played well when he got the chance. I hope he keeps improving.

So I'm off to sign players to keep us up in Serie B.

Very good first season icon14.gif

Maybe I should have played defensively all these years? icon_frown.gif

Only 7 league games left this season I think now, its still very possible to make the playoffs or fall into the playouts, the league is so tight. I had something like 37 points with 30 being a place in the playouts, around 40 being a playoff place.

Running summary:

06-07: 13th, one point above the play-out.

07-08: Via the magic of being moved to the C1A, attendance skyrockets, players are happy. I got on a great run in the second half of the season, scratched all the way up to third place, was absolutely destroyed in the playoffs.

08-09: After a bad run in the European Championships, Steve McClaren is sacked as England manager. Shamed and unable to face his countrymen, he takes a job as the assistant manager at C1B side Prato. My jaw dropped. My team, perhaps motivated by that ridiculous hiring, played a fine season, again reaching the playoffs.

First round: Cremonese. I have the higher record and only need a draw. They win the first game, one-nil, and I get a dramatic 85th minute equalizer from Andrea Russotto to advance. Meanwhile, fifth-seed Lucchese have defeated Rimini, and it looks like the Titani may have their day! Hopes and dreams are shattered by an embarrasing 4-1 home loss in the first leg of the tie, and I start planning for another season in Serie C. Oh well, I think, it's not too bad. My plan was always to shoot for promotion in year four anyway.

I only have to win this next game by thee goals. Against the hottest team in the division. At their home ground.

An hour in and the game is still scoreless. I'm wondering if there is any beer left in the fridge, because the game is hardly worth watching. San Marino native Tommaso de Luigi sparks a glimmer of hope in the 63rd, scoring a marvelous individual effort. Four minutes later, he strikes again, and I start to hope again. The clock ticks inexorably forward, bracketed on the scoreboard by the 4-3 aggregate line. My substitutions spent, all I can do is chew on my fingernails and watch as last round's hero, Andrea Russotto, evens the score in the eighty-fourth minute! An amazing comeback, complete! Their spirits broken, Lucchese are powerless to resist, and a pair of extra-time goals makes the aggregate score 6-4 in my favor. A famous victory, and an unbelievable promotion!

Three weeks later, the citizens of San Marino are still celebrating in the streets, when the Lucchese FC Board of Directors announce that they have sacked their manager and hired... yeah, Steve McClaren. He'll turn their fortunes around if anyone can.

09-10: I get off to a miserable start in the Serie B, scoring zero goals in my first nine games. The board sold my keeper before the season (he is now the #1 at Bordeaux, which is pretty impressive) so I have problems all over. Wow. A major tactical re-think turns things around and I manage to finish fifteenth, on fifty points. After the season the board takes out a bank loan of twenty million euros to start building San Marino Stadium, which will boast under-soil heating for those chilly summer evenings and a capacity of almost 13,600. The local council tries to block construction, but, fortunately, San Marino appears to have two local councils, and we were able to get permission from the other one. Meanwhile, England wins the World Cup. A first minute strike from Michael Owen is enough to beat Mexico in the final. Manchester United win the Champions League for the fourth year running. They've bought Luca Toni at some point but other than that their squad looks a lot like it does in 2007. Pretty amazing.

10-11: I've made a mediocre start to Season Five. One of my star players decided he wanted out and I was able to sell him for almost four and a half million euro. The best part was that the board didn't bat an eyelash at the 4.3M offer. It seems that my finances are stable enough that I won't have to fear the board selling my best players for a while. I'm expecting a lower mid-table finish this season and the board and fans will both be happy if we don't get relegated.

• SI Staff

Well I'm just about to finish season 08/09 and with one game left (away to Pescara) I'm sitting in 7th place just outside the playoffs where I'm 8 points behind Modena.

My last match was simply sensational. I absolutely destroyed Perugia 4-0 at home and all the goals were scored in the first half. I had used the game to blood a couple of youngsters. Here was my line up

Pos - Name - Age - Nationality

GK Alberto Pardo - 19 - ESP

DR Christian Giacomini - 20 - ITA

DL Mauro Zanotti - 24 - ARG

DC Devis Nossa - 23 - ITA

DC Dennis Esposito - 21 - ITA

MR Felipe Giacomini - 23 - BRA

ML Stanko Pavlovic - 25 - SRB

MC Joaquin Forner - 19 - ESP

MC Simone Stefanelli - 17 - SMR

FC Robert Hirsz - 19 - POL

FC Giovanni Abate - 27 - ITA

I've no doubts that if I had not lost Felipe Giacomini for three months of the season then I'd have been at least in the playoffs. I also shouldn't have to spend a lot to strengthen the team for next season either as this lot seem perfectly capable of holding their own in this division despite their relative inexperience. I'll no doubt be moving a few squad players on in the summer and bringing in some new players. I've already got a San Marino keeper coming in for £10k who my scout said had the potential to be twice as good as one of my currrent keepers (who is quite good already) so he'll be my U20s number one next season.

I've also got Damien Plessis (DM) from Lyon coming in on a free as well as a Polish left winger and Mario Semprini (D LC, DM, M LC), a versatile San Marinese player who will make a useful substitute.

It's also quite pleasing to see Genoa stuck in the playouts. My old friend Esmir Sabic who 'had done all he could at San Marino' is now going to be involved in a relegation battle while my team have their feet up on a beach somewhere. Unlucky son. I hope they get relegated.

The finances are good and the board have agreed to upgrade the training facilities. Still working on getting them to improve the stadium though. Hopefully there will be some good prize money at the end of the season for finishing well in the table.

2011/12 mid season update - Serie A

Things started off well in the top flight, beginning with the preseason friendlies. I decided it was time to test my young charges against some of Europes best teams. With an ulterior motive of bringing some cash in as well.

Pre season friendlies

H, 2-0 Barcelona, (outstanding result to start the season)

H, 3-3 Chelsea, (proved the first was not a fluke)

H, 1-1 Ajax, (consistency)

H, 0-0 Roma, (further consistency)

H, 0-0 Nantes (same again, but what happened to the goals?)

I then decided to take them on our first tour. But, while looking through the list of countries to tour, San Marino jumped out at me. They must have been disappointed not to go to somewhere more exotic. So we had 4 healthy morale boosting away wins against local San Marinese teams.

The first round of the cup saw us up against lowly Montevarchi, and the players must have decided to get back at me for the San Marino tour. We dominated the game but somehow lost 1-0.

The season proper started with a bang, a 1-0 win over Chievo and a 4-0 drubbing of Livorno, with Paolo Nuti grabbing his first hattrick, and 5 goals in the first three games. We then went on a 13 game winless streak (although 7 of them were draws), which left us in the relegation zone.

A 3-2 win over Modena just before the christmas break saw us rise to 15th, with 16 points from 17 games, leaving everyone in much better spirits for the winter break.

Transfers In

Igor Krulj, 100k, Messina (DL, AML, FC, very useful utility player)

Abdel El Kaoutari, free, Montpellier, (WBL, 21yo, being trained as new long term DL)

Gonzalo Bergessio, free, Lazio (27yo ST, with plenty of top level experience)

Transfers Out

14 young players who didnt 'make it'. No with any first team experience.

My finances were up to 8m in pre-season, but have drifted to 6.2m. I have a 4.8m transfer kitty for the January window.

One of my problems is that 12 players in the 1st squad have contracts running out in June. The are all asking for exorbitant amounts of money now they consider themselves 'Serie A stars'. I can offer a maximum of 17k per week, but dont even want to do that, as it would be financial suicide. Guess I need to sell a few and search for the next generation of talented youngsters.

We will definitely be in a relegation battle this season, so I cant offer those big wages in case we go down.

Luca Del Prete

What can we say about this kid. He has just turned 21, and already made 36 appearances for the National team (one sending off as well).

In the serie A, for San Marino, he has played a bit role with 4(4) appearances and an average rating of 6.5 which is pretty good since the suba appearances were only for the last few minutes. He is still the best player in the national team by a long way.

Right well after the data update I decided to start againb.

The first season I finished 3rd after the prolific abate got injured for 5 months and I lost out in the playoff's.

Overall I was quite satisfied with the result.

And Instead of talking all about my team so far thought I would just screenshot stuff.

Star Player

Squad

Second Season Out

Second season in

First season in

season 2 Super Cup

Season 2 C Cup

Season 2 League

Serie B here we come.

Season 08/09

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| 1st | C | Piacenza | | 34 | 23 | 9 | 2 | 59 | 24 | +35 | 78 |

| 2nd | Pl | Bologna | | 34 | 20 | 8 | 6 | 67 | 32 | +35 | 68 |

| 3rd | Pl | Monza | | 34 | 18 | 7 | 9 | 49 | 43 | +6 | 61 |

| 4th | Pl | Pistoiese | | 34 | 16 | 5 | 13 | 38 | 44 | -6 | 53 |

| 5th | Pl | Como | | 34 | 13 | 11 | 10 | 56 | 46 | +10 | 50 |

| 6th | | San Marino | | 34 | 12 | 13 | 9 | 43 | 38 | +5 | 49 |

| 7th | | Cittadella | | 34 | 13 | 10 | 11 | 50 | 36 | +14 | 49 |

| 8th | | Pavia | | 34 | 14 | 6 | 14 | 37 | 39 | -2 | 48 |

| 9th | | Reggiana | | 34 | 12 | 10 | 12 | 39 | 36 | +3 | 46 |

| 10th | | Pro Patria | | 34 | 11 | 12 | 11 | 38 | 35 | +3 | 45 |

| 11th | | Novara | | 34 | 12 | 8 | 14 | 43 | 41 | +2 | 44 |

| 12th | | Lumezzane | | 34 | 10 | 10 | 14 | 38 | 55 | -17 | 40 |

| 13th | | Spezia | | 34 | 11 | 7 | 16 | 42 | 53 | -11 | 40 |

| 14th | Pl | Triestina | | 34 | 10 | 8 | 16 | 54 | 54 | 0 | 38 |

| 15th | Pl | Venezia | | 34 | 9 | 8 | 17 | 29 | 44 | -15 | 35 |

| 16th | Pl | Padova | | 34 | 7 | 13 | 14 | 41 | 49 | -8 | 34 |

| 17th | Pl | Pro Sesto | | 34 | 7 | 10 | 17 | 29 | 49 | -20 | 31 |

| 18th | R | Ravenna | | 34 | 5 | 11 | 18 | 38 | 72 | -34 | 26 |

</pre>

Turned out a pretty decent season in the end, so unlucky not to make the playoffs. One point on the last day we were in a playoff place, but Como ended up winning 5-3 and we finished 6th.

Gives me some hope for next season though, going to sort out the squad, some of the loan signings are joining on frees, I'm getting rid of some of the expensive (well the ones with big wages) back up players that barely played last season.

I just agreed to sell a DC for £3k, I just realised I played him once, as a sub, after signing him for £6k and £750 a week icon_biggrin.gif I tried to make sure I had plenty of cover but I never had too many defensive injuries.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's also quite pleasing to see Genoa stuck in the playouts. My old friend Esmir Sabic who 'had done all he could at San Marino' is now going to be involved in a relegation battle while my team have their feet up on a beach somewhere. Unlucky son. I hope they get relegated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, they lost in the playouts. Unlucky Esmir Sabic. Enjoy Serie C1 again. Maybe we will see you in the Italian Cup.

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | C | Atalanta | | 42 | 25 | 11 | 6 | 53 | 22 | +31 | 86 |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | P | Catania | | 42 | 24 | 13 | 5 | 60 | 25 | +35 | 85 |

| 3rd | | Lecce | | 42 | 24 | 8 | 10 | 61 | 33 | +28 | 80 |

| 4th | P | Ascoli | | 42 | 23 | 7 | 12 | 55 | 35 | +20 | 76 |

| 5th | | Torino | | 42 | 20 | 10 | 12 | 51 | 37 | +14 | 70 |

| 6th | | Modena | | 42 | 20 | 8 | 14 | 60 | 43 | +17 | 68 |

| 7th | | San Marino | | 42 | 18 | 7 | 17 | 49 | 46 | +3 | 61 |

| 8th | | Triestina | | 42 | 15 | 16 | 11 | 51 | 43 | +8 | 61 |

| 9th | | Perugia | | 42 | 15 | 16 | 11 | 59 | 52 | +7 | 61 |

| 10th | | Cesena | | 42 | 16 | 12 | 14 | 54 | 43 | +11 | 60 |

| 11th | | Rimini | | 42 | 16 | 11 | 15 | 54 | 45 | +9 | 59 |

| 12th | | Vicenza | | 42 | 15 | 13 | 14 | 48 | 40 | +8 | 58 |

| 13th | | Treviso | | 42 | 16 | 6 | 20 | 45 | 59 | -14 | 54 |

| 14th | | Verona | | 42 | 13 | 13 | 16 | 51 | 65 | -14 | 52 |

| 15th | | Pescara | | 42 | 11 | 14 | 17 | 45 | 51 | -6 | 47 |

| 16th | | Salernitana | | 42 | 11 | 13 | 18 | 41 | 53 | -12 | 46 |

| 17th | | Avellino | | 42 | 11 | 11 | 20 | 33 | 52 | -19 | 44 |

| 18th | R | Genoa | | 42 | 9 | 15 | 18 | 41 | 57 | -16 | 42 |

| 19th | | Messina | | 42 | 8 | 17 | 17 | 29 | 46 | -17 | 41 |

| 20th | R | Novara | | 42 | 9 | 11 | 22 | 26 | 56 | -30 | 38 |

| 21st | R | Venezia | | 42 | 8 | 11 | 23 | 31 | 68 | -37 | 35 |

| 22nd | R | Varese | | 42 | 7 | 13 | 22 | 27 | 53 | -26 | 34 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| </pre>

I'm not bitter icon_smile.gif

And the board just announced that I'm moving to a 20,000 capacity all seater stadium in a year \o/

haha,

Well I have played half my serie B season so far sitting around 7th its been up and down really. It looks like a I have no chance of getting relagated though since the bottom 3 are miles behind (touch wood).

I cant seem to pin point a weakness in my side currently we just seem unlucky in some games. Perhaps its just lacking some experience but will just have to wait and see at the end of the season.

Although I am well jealous of Ter's 20,000 new stadium icon_frown.gif

Ter, good to see them go down like that.

Gavin, it is not just bottom 3 going down, 4th and 5th to last can end up in a playout.

Georginho, just ignore that message, it is not so serious, although playing all out attacking football is not always a good idea.

Season 2011/12 review - Serie A

Just a quick one, as I did a big mid-season update. We were never in the relegation zone until our penultimate round when we dropped down to 18th, bit only for a few minutes. We won that game (against Cagliari, who were 18th going into the round), plus our final game against Udinese, to finish 15th.

I made two additions to the squad in January, due to all 3 of my keepers picking up lengthy injuries, I managed to get Benoit Costil from Inter for 2m. He is my new first choice keeper, as well as Jose Manuel Saenz for 14k from Barcelona. He is an 18yr old keeper, who is out on loan to a feeder now, but shows potential.

Luca Del Prete was out for 4 months with a slipped disc, and had a few small injuries after that. Played 7(6) games in the serie A at an average rating of 6.46. Is up to 39 caps in the national squad which hit an all time low by losing 2-0 at home, to Faroe Islands in a WC qualifier.

Finances are troubling me. Down to 900k, with no sign of the plummet stopping. I have played some lucrative friendlies, got 1.5m for an average midfielder, only have 4 players on more than 10k pw (in the Serie A), but there is still a leak.

We did get a stadium expansion, up to 17,436 all seated. Plus, Youth and training facilities are in the process of being upgraded. For the expansion, our happy chairman took out a 1.7m loan which we are paying back at 16k pm. Thanks for that chairman icon14.gif

Predicted to finish 20th in the new season, but only 200-1 to win, as opposed to 500-1 last season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And the board just announced that I'm moving to a 20,000 capacity all seater stadium in a year \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif Does it have a name yet?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does it have a name yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Benedettini Park icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does it have a name yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Benedettini Park icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who's that named after? Surely the name should be Italian, rather than Park?

I'm really struggling to find any decent players to sign this summer icon_frown.gif I probably need to sell a player or two for big money so I have money to spend.

I'm well under the wage budget now, but there's just no one good enough that I can sign.

A few clubs have bidded to co-own Del Prete, but there's really no point for £40k, I tried asking for £500k but they aren't interested.

I'm thinking I should play him regularly to raise his reputation a bit, then I might start getting some serious bids. I need to find a couple of stars from somewhere that will help me get promoted or raise some money by selling them.

I've had coaches giving me report cards on hundreds of Italians on free transfers, most of them are awful and not good enough for Serie C2.

We're finally in the Italian Cup \o/ and we now skip the group stages of the Serie C Cup.

• SI Staff

I'm toying with the idea of signing people just with the view to selling them on immediately to rake in some cash. Just signed a defender who was released by Inter and he's valued at £300k. Hmmm...

I've had the same problem with trying to find decent players.

I had a transfer kitty of 4.8m and couldnt find a single player who would improve my team. Not because the team were good, just that the players who were better were either more expensive, or didnt want to join. Or perhaps wanted more wages than I could offer.

For anyone interested in Luca Del Prete, currently I am in Jan 2013. A 22yo Del Prete has had 101(45) career league appearances with 1 goal, 7 assists, and 2 MOM awards. He is valued at 1.3m and is being paid 3.6k pw. He also has 41 caps.

I dont think he is good enough for the Serie A, but did quite well in the second season in Serie B for me. I could easily get a better reserve right back, but he has been here since the beginning as a kid. I want to see how far he goes. He has had a few injuries over the last season and a half. Plus, he will be my captain when I eventually take over the San Marino national side.

I think I have a gem come through my youth ranks.

He was doing ok, and had a few good stats, so I offered him a contract and his value instantly went to 550k, 3 months later and it is up to 1m.

He is still only 16, but I have given him 8 sub appearances in the first team to see what happens. He did well, but wasnt too keen on his tutor.

Trying to decide if I should keep doing it this way, or send him out on loan for a season.

Sorry, to triple post, but this challenge is quiet at present and I have an update to do.

Season 2012/13 Serie A review

We got 7 points from our first 4 games, leaving us in 5th position. This was followed by 7 straight losses and from then on we yoyo'd in and out of the relegation zone all season, eventually finishing:

17th San Marino P38 W10 D10 L18 GF43 GA52 -9 Pts 40

Narrowly avoided relegation. My scouting is now open to Worldwide. See below for my first purchase from South America.

Transfers In

Leandro Lima, free, Sao Caetano. (experienced midfield playmaker, my 1st South American)

Lasse Qvist, free, Kobenhavn. (reserve striker, who didnt stay too long)

Tim Janssen, Free Transfer. (another reserve striker)

Mikel Ibero, 950k, Deportivo. (18yo DC, with hopefully a brigh future ahead of him)

Martin Skrtel, 1.8m, Juventus. (A rock solid 28yo DC at a bargain price)

Transfers Out

Marco Bertolina, Frankfurt, Free.

Vincenzo Esposito, Napoli Free.

Coelho, Verona, Free.

Steffen Kielstrup, Feyenoord, 1.5m

Lasse Qvist, West Ham, 1.8m

plus 7 young Freds all free released.

Our finances are plummeting further, now down to -3.1m, but our idiot chairman has made a stadium expansion of a whole 178 seats?!?!?!?!?

For this, he has taken a 3rd loan, for 775k, just to help our finances even further. Moron.

I have a 1.1m transfer budget for next season, but unless I sell, I cant see anything different than this season. Another relegation battle on the cards.

Archived