Who designed the interface?

It's not been ignored, but there is no way for us to reply to every post. We are reading them all though, and will keep all valid points in mind.
Would it be possible for SI to explain some of the theory behind the UI? It's presumably not just thrown together in the most random way possible without any thought or analysis, even though it looks like it :-) Obviously there is something most of us are missing so a blog / article / post explaining the logic would at least let us see the alternative point of view. Cheers.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally think this is looking like so far the best FM for ages! FM09 eventually bored me, and the skin well, until some user made ones appeared it was awful. I definately think this skin is a step in the right direction, of course only in dark. I think the navigation is far better than past iterations. SI always make some of the best navigation interfaces for text management sims, I play enough to know!! Again I dont seem to share the majorities view (which I simply mean by those on this thread!), I perosnally really like everything I have seen so far, of course issues to be ironed out, but no complaints from me, and I am usually pretty hard to please!

I think alot of the criticism of the new UI if from people who haven't used it enough yet to get used to it, complaining of finding things etc. Like everything else the more you use something the easier it will be to use it and finding things will like second nature.

I think alot of the criticism of the new UI if from people who haven't used it enough yet to get used to it, complaining of finding things etc. Like everything else the more you use something the easier it will be to use it and finding things will like second nature.

Hav you read this thread? It's not that people can't find stuff, it's that it takes more clicks to get to stuff than the previous version. That's why it feels like a regression.

But the only way around that would be to have every single thing on the main screen at all times which would be far too cluttered.

Sorry I don't think I can have explained that very well: nobody is saying that every area of the game should be available within one click, but that areas which were previously very easy to access are now several clicks deeper within the UI. So it's harder to do things like scout multiple players or clear your team selection.

Nobody wants the coefficients to be available within one click :) Well, maybe Ackter does.

Sorry I don't think I can have explained that very well: nobody is saying that every area of the game should be available within one click, but that areas which were previously very easy to access are now several clicks deeper within the UI. So it's harder to do things like scout multiple players or clear your team selection.

Exactly - SI seem to have done their best to make it difficult to manage your team.

I think maybe the problem it the new UI is that it's in a way too pefect? Everythings nice sub-headed kind of thing, but maybe just the more obvious things we use regularly need to be 1 click away.

It's very logical in some ways. Jesper, Martin, Craig & co. have done a very good job in putting everything into its little section. The bad news is that as you say there are some things people use which aren't instantly accessible, and this is frustrating. There are also little things, though. One I'm going to blog about tonight is the horizontal navigation. If you have two sub-sections to a tab, and the tab is on the right hand-side of the navigation, you have to move your mouse allllll the way over to the right, click the tab, then go alllllll the way back to the left to click on the thing you wanted. Not smart.

Little things like at the tope where it has the name of your club and if you click that it has a drop down then of squad, tactics etc. It would just be abit easier if you could click the tab and it takes you to your squad or if you click the little arrow next to the team name you will get the drop down. Just little things like that would make it that bit less hard work to navigate. No big deal though really still a great game.

One of the things I find annoying, is that it takes too many clicks to get to the 'Player Ratings' for a match. I almost always want to just click in and out of matches to see who played well. This takes quite a few clicks now.

Strongly agree.

But making everything important take a few more clicks than it used to is the opposite of improvement.

This is the best sentence in this thread, and one that SI desperately need to note.

Well after giving the interface a bit more time and finally finding most of the stuff i need i can now say that it is a bad interface.

Really can't understand why everything is hidden in drop down menues.

Yes you can right click the top bar and add tabs to the most important parts, but that just leaves you with pinhead size icons all in a row to try and navigate with. Not easy and not handy.

This strange logic with hiding everything behind drop down menues is pressent through the game. Even in the matches where you really need your information quick.

In the past i found i had to pause the game to make tactical changes, but now i also have to pause the game to get to the statistics i need.

Really can't see any advantage with this setup besides it looking a bit more "modern".

But funtionality as a hole has taken a very big step backword. And the time i had to spend to actually find some features is worrying.

I have played this game for 10 years now so i know what features to look for but can't find them, so how will new users respond as they don't know what to look for and the feature is hidden somewhere in the endless jungle of drop down menues.

Also glad that SI finally added a dark skin as an option becuse the light ones are just bad for a game that requires you to read lots of text and numbers for hours straight.

On the whole I like the new GUI. Structurally it just makes sense; it's easy to find things simply by guessing where they logically should be filed. On the other hand a lot has changed since FM09 so it takes some getting used to, and you need a few clicks to move down the tiers to certain sections which can get a bit tedious if you want to access them frequently. I haven't played with the bookmark feature yet, maybe that remedies this issue to some degree.

The color pallette (bright skin) could use a bit more contrast between background and content in some places to alleviate the "omg this is bright!" impression, but unless you have your monitor set to mad levels I don't think it's that big of a deal; it's perfectly readable. More than anything the interface is now a lot more responsive, so given that the UI lag has been my biggest gripe with it for a couple of years now I'm quite satisfied.

One thing I don't like is the plain white or dark background, It's just so boring and plain on the eye. I like the earlier versions of CM where we had the changing random background or even the grass backgrounds where better than just a plain background.

Somone answer me this. Why is the job tab right in front of you along the rows of tabs? Job tab is the least button I would click. That job is something that can be hidden away.

Player search screen. Why is the shortlist the 1st tab? The first thing I do on player search is player search so would access the customised/filter button.

Also SI do us a favour. Put the your team on default when you click on player stats. The default it is now is set at home team. I only want to view my teams performance, my teams prozone stats, my team figures. I don't care about the away team so make that the send default setting.

Also can the tactics, team shouts buttons stay in one corner of the screen and not jump around according to how or away.

It takes 2 clicks. Hardly alot! :D

Maybe you know a faster method than me. Say you have the latest results in front of you:

1) You click in between the scoreline (the colon) to see details about the match.

2) Click on "Stats"

3) Click on "Player Ratings"

That's 3 clicks. If you do that for all the Premiership matches it really builds up, and then becomes annoying.

You jest surely. Sense and logic are not the words I would use to describe this GUI ....

I actually agree with him. It's logical in the sense you are working top down selecting an area and then selecting a sub-area from the drop down and then a sub-sub-area from the tabs, the problem is that some commonly used areas logically belong in slightly tricky to reach places.

• 3 weeks later...
I actually agree with him. It's logical in the sense you are working top down selecting an area and then selecting a sub-area from the drop down and then a sub-sub-area from the tabs, the problem is that some commonly used areas logically belong in slightly tricky to reach places.
The problem is that the natural flow from FM2009 has beeen lost. I am seriously disappointed in FM2010 - this is the first time I can remember not immediately buying the new version.

Archived