[FM10] FM09 Skin?

NepentheZ

grade - did you get a free mug with your game?? If you CHOOSE to buy from Hmv you get a free mug.

I want a free mug!!!! I choose to buy mine from Shopto knowing I wounldnt get a free mug, but I find it wrong and insulting that I brought the game and dont get everything!

the free mug would not have anything to do with the game now would it ...

si are you giving you something to do with the game

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A skin is not really the game is it? you have the game. My game works fine with the 2 default skins. Your getting the game, your getting the 3 free patches, your getting the free half year data changes.

The free mug is to do with the Game.... for 1 is has the name of the game splashed across the front of it!! And it would keep my tea from going cold whilst playing the game!

Its not like this was not talked about before release. We all knew, and you still have the choice to activate via steam, and get the Skin (which isnt even out yet!)

• Administrators
grade - did you get a free mug with your game?? If you CHOOSE to buy from Hmv you get a free mug.

I want a free mug!!!! I choose to buy mine from Shopto knowing I wounldnt get a free mug, but I find it wrong and insulting that I brought the game and dont get everything!

LOL classic.

Ive bought it from HMV so I'd get the mug, its going straight to GAME for trade-in when it arrives (it hasn't yet).

I downloaded it on Steam just before midnight as I didn't wanna wait and it was good that I did.

All these people moaning over Steam need to get a grip.

1 - SI aren't being selective, its a choice. A skin is a skin. Its akin to saying you can only buy a certain case for the iPhone on a third party accessory website but not the AppleStore - shock, bloody horror to those who don't shop elsewhere for what is essentially, an accessory - NOT an essential.

2 - Steam has its critics and rightly so. But its a choice people make. Frankly I've never been a massive fan but it saves a lot of hassle, since it updates automatically and I won't need a disk.

3 - The only instance I think SI are being unfair on, are Mac users, not those with Windows who CHOOSE not to have Steam. (Mac users can't). Naturally one would hope that SI release update for the Mac version so people could use a FM-sidebar skin.

4 - SI aren't entitled to do squat, not even 3) which I mentioned. Be grateful they communicate with us users and do such a good job.

5 - As Carl said, You don't hear people who shopped at HMV moaning that they didn't get a personalised sleeve from Play.com or a Journal from GAME; or likewise people ordering/buying elsewhere not getting anything that is, as I said - an ACCESSORY.

Radestock, are you just toeing the party line, because you have to as a moderator.

Nope. Being a mod doesn't mean that I have to agree with everything SI say. I don't by a long shot. They infuriate me every year with minimal thought about skinners. So much of the game is inaccessable or annoying of unchangable or stuck to certain screens.

In this case though I think people like to get hot under the collar, blaming SI, going on about not getting what they paid for when in fact it's their choice whether or not they use Steam and they aren't losing out on anything they were promised. Nowhere in the box or in any of the official pre-release blurb were buyers promised an extra skin.

As I've pointed out, along with not having to use the DVD and the other benefits Steam offers, you also get an extra skin. It's a bonus, a surprise.

I like that Sparks199's main issues are being worried about giving his details to people and remebering passwords and is complaining about it on a messageboard that you need to register for to be able to post.

Things vital for the game like patches and code, for sure, should be available to everyone, and I would fight your corner then.

A free skin, for choosing to install the game a certain way, isnt vital for the game. Its a extra freebie!

If you game does crash due to the skins that came with the game, may I direct you to the bug forum.

Go one, use steam, its good... unless your a guy with a wooden leg, an eye patch, and with a parrot on your shoulder!

a skin now ... so wot next year the line would be you can only get a patch if you sign up ?

and so on and so on

Quite clearly that's ludicrous :D You're comparing not getting an extra, surprise bonus skin by choice to being forced to register to get a patch.

Nope. Being a mod doesn't mean that I have to agree with everything SI say. I don't by a long shot. They infuriate me every year with minimal thought about skinners. So much of the game is inaccessable or annoying of unchangable or stuck to certain screens.

In this case though I think people like to get hot under the collar, blaming SI, going on about not getting what they paid for when in fact it's their choice whether or not they use Steam and they aren't losing out on anything they were promised. Nowhere in the box or in any of the official pre-release blurb were buyers promised an extra skin.

As I've pointed out, along with not having to use the DVD and the other benefits Steam offers, you also get an extra skin. It's a bonus, a surprise.

I like that Sparks199's main issues are being worried about giving his details to people and remebering passwords and is complaining on a messageboard that you need to register fon to be able to post.

so you would want us to think . that SI are just doing this to make all our lifes easy and better would you ... wake up

• Administrators
so you would want us to think . that SI are just doing this to make all our lifes easy and better would you ... wake up

You're not really making any sense. He's saying SI have done it to entice people to go onto Steam (win-win for SI and Steam = anti-piracy+steam sales) and it is a bonus, as I and countless others have pointed out.

That is a good point, but thats small time, and a few people will do that, and it work (for a bit) but I think they arre trying to hinder the people who make 300,000 copies etc.

But its still a good point, and I cant get my head around it.

Plus your mate would have the free skin!!!!!!! Nightmare!!!!

• Administrators

You could do that with a disk as well......

But then I've not tried either so I don't know. I'm sure Steam would be able to tell if a game has been registered to more than one computer at a time? All depends on the T&Cs, of course. (and technology..)

It seems to be more pro-piracy anti-legal customer to be honest. The only people who wont get the 09 skin are those who buy the game and don't want to use steam.

I'll never go near steam again, I just can't afford to or be bothered to reformat my harddrive again because of it. If SI want people to use steam I think they should be forced to inform customers of the dangers/problems.

I have used Steam since Half Life 2 came out. I have never had 1 issue with it.

Cant afford to?? Its a free download!!!! You dont get forced to buy anythig from it!! You can choose to buy from it........ lets not go there!

A skin is not really the game is it? you have the game. My game works fine with the 2 default skins. Your getting the game, your getting the 3 free patches, your getting the free half year data changes.

The free mug is to do with the Game.... for 1 is has the name of the game splashed across the front of it!! And it would keep my tea from going cold whilst playing the game!

Its not like this was not talked about before release. We all knew, and you still have the choice to activate via steam, and get the Skin (which isnt even out yet!)

Well, your wrong the skin is one of the ingredients of the game. What if the Skin was more complicated then it is now and you hated it, that game ability would suck wouldn't it? So It is one of basic ingredient of the game, if that sucks that game sucks.

Well that is different. That is marketing strategy from a store to sell more the rival stores. it is exactly the same with amazon giving 50% promotion on the game and Shopto giving a 75%, but that is at the cost of the Store.

Another thing is SI giving free skin Other bonuses things to those who want register and buy from steam and for those that don't scr*w them. That is selective, discriminative and simply wrong.

It is like EA decided to those who have Fifa Manager give free skins for who bought Fifa10. What about you personally like PES instead of FIFA? You are entitle to no like FIFA10 and like FIFA Manager, yet your being left out, just because you have preference for another game. That is discriminatory of your own opinion, which being thinking human have entitle to it. It is exactly the same for those who have fairly poor opinion of steam and don't want to use it.

LOL classic.

Ive bought it from HMV so I'd get the mug, its going straight to GAME for trade-in when it arrives (it hasn't yet).

I downloaded it on Steam just before midnight as I didn't wanna wait and it was good that I did.

All these people moaning over Steam need to get a grip.

1 - SI aren't being selective, its a choice. A skin is a skin. Its akin to saying you can only buy a certain case for the iPhone on a third party accessory website but not the AppleStore - shock, bloody horror to those who don't shop elsewhere for what is essentially, an accessory - NOT an essential.

2 - Steam has its critics and rightly so. But its a choice people make. Frankly I've never been a massive fan but it saves a lot of hassle, since it updates automatically and I won't need a disk.

3 - The only instance I think SI are being unfair on, are Mac users, not those with Windows who CHOOSE not to have Steam. (Mac users can't). Naturally one would hope that SI release update for the Mac version so people could use a FM-sidebar skin.

4 - SI aren't entitled to do squat, not even 3) which I mentioned. Be grateful they communicate with us users and do such a good job.

5 - As Carl said, You don't hear people who shopped at HMV moaning that they didn't get a personalised sleeve from Play.com or a Journal from GAME; or likewise people ordering/buying elsewhere not getting anything that is, as I said - an ACCESSORY.

1 - I disagree by this choice, they are being selective. Why does your FM via STeam has more value then my FM10 version Box? Nothing they are exactly the same, but apparently it is not.

2 - Automatic updates is very nice, but I read that is nearly impossible to take it out (FM09 expereince that I read in this same forum), most people didn't liked the second patch. This is what Starky was saying (example, Imagine that he reads in this forums that one of patch makes every opponent nearly impossible to win, which is major break down for many of the players. Starky doesn't want that to happen in his game, so he doesn't download that patch). Now via Steam you don't get that choice. That is why Game companies are now too dependent of the patches instead of making the game as bug free as possible when it is released. That is why a see no good point of annually games in small companies like SI (unless you have a big team like EA and Konomi has) and FM08 and FM09 proved my point (personally I hate them and is the worst version of CM(SI version)/ FM ever).

3 - You just making my point. Most mac users are asking themselves what they are less to those who have Windows? Just because they decided on different SO? That is discriminatory in my book.

4 - Yes they are not entitle to do squat in making new skins and patches. But yet again if the game still remains with a lot of bugs, the sales of the next version will suffer, specially for company that depends in two games (one online and another that is released in November). About communicating? I don't see that much either since FM08. i don't expect them to reply every thread, but 90% of the questions are answered by moderators (which do the best that they can and probably aren't pay for it, i assume). So I think this forums aren't that great, but at least it exists right?

5 - See my reply above in this post.

fine, but to play the game, steam needs to connet. If the user is already logged on, it will kick you off. Like when I have FM running on my laptop, and then try to boot my PC game up.

Cant do it that way!

and are you saying that you can only play the game if your connect to the internet ?

if so thats even worse

This thread is becoming increasingly pointless.

sparks - there are many benefits to using Steam but it's your choice not to do so.

These benefits include being able to redownload the game if you lose the disk, playing the game without the disk inserted, automatic patching and 'xbox style achievements'.

There's even a way that you can create a shortcut to the desktop from Steam so that FM isn't loaded via Steam - this will remove additional loading times and prevent automatic patching.

Your argument about receiving junk mail from Steam is completely invalid as the only emails I have received are receipts from purchasing games on it. I've never seen a patch make any FM games worse too so I don't really see where you're coming from there.

Your argument about free choice - install Steam, grab the skin, uninstall Steam - that will take a grand total of 10 minutes of your time. Far less than what you've spent moaning on this thread.

radestock has said that SI aren't releasing the FM09 style skin for FM10 to non-steam users and that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

i can see it now ... my internet connect goes down ..i phone up bt . they give me a repair date in 3 to 4 days time ..

ok i no ill play fm2010 untill my line gets back on ...oooooo no shock horror i cant .i used the steam

You can launch the game without having to load up Steam or launch Steam in offline mode.

please tell why are SI so willing to get you to sign up to the steam by offering you a skin ..

why ? we know its not because off anti-piracy

so why are they so keen for you to sign up ..

Was anywhere offering a free FM10 tinfoil hat?

Look, as I've already pointed out, 09 style skins DO work without the code change that's coming to Steam soon (which will almost certainly be in the next patch, anyway), so you've basically spent an evening raging against an utterly inconsequential decision by SI. Well done. This is almost as funny as your rant against the susie skin a while back.

oh well, you cant please all the people all the time!

Sorry you guys feel so let down by it.

Grade - I view the extra Skin as a Marketing Strategy to sell/activate more via Steam. Also the default skins are how the game should look. You can now of course edit the game to look different, but the 2 Skins everyone gets to play the game with. If I found the game impossible to play due to the default Skin, then that would be the issue, which I would direct to the SI team.

It sounds like you brought the game to play with the skins??

Was anywhere offering a free FM10 tinfoil hat?

Look, as I've already pointed out, 09 style skins DO work without the code change that's coming to Steam soon (which will almost certainly be in the next patch, anyway), so you've basically spent an evening raging against an utterly inconsequential decision by SI. Well done. This is almost as funny as your rant against the susie skin a while back.

cap my friend .. its not about the skin ..its about them SI offering you something to do with the game ....but not offering it to all ..... when all has paid for the game one way or the other ..

The FM10 version of Arsenal is entitle different, because I knew that it had different skin, but it is version for marketing reasons to allure Arsenal Fans. now think this way, would it be fair if Si offered the bonuses to those who bought FM10 arsenal edition? How would that make you feel?

I have used Steam since Half Life 2 came out. I have never had 1 issue with it.

Cant afford to?? Its a free download!!!! You dont get forced to buy anythig from it!! You can choose to buy from it........ lets not go there!

A friend of mine used Steam once he made is computer to crash had no help from them and his computer had hacked via Steam. Not only he lost all of his data, but the problems that ensued with fried dvd-rom player, that HP wanted to charge for the repair because apparently abused with it and it was in two year guarantee. His experience with Steam cost nearly 2000 euros.

People have mix experiences of the software, so that is much of a word. Some people like it some don't live with it. Now forcing some to use something that they won't so they get free stuff, of course that is wrong.

Also I view this way, play a game I need to use another piece of software? That makes no sense to me. (Oh and OS is out of this question because I now OS is Software, but with out it the computer wouldn't work, while with Steam I can play without it.

cap my friend .. its not about the skin ..its about them SI offering you something to do with the game ....but not offering it to all ..... when all has paid for the game one way or the other ..

Lets go through it again:

its about them SI offering you something to do with the game

SI are offering a free bonus gift in the form of a new skin if you use Steam, something on top of what you actually paid money for. As has been said, it's no different from any free gift various people have given out. That it is 'something to do with the game' makes no difference. It's not something to do with the game that you've actually paid for or are entitled to because you paid for the game.

but not offering it to all

It's available to everyone who buys the game, it's their choice as to whether or not they use Steam

when all has paid for the game one way or the other

See my first response. You have not paid for the free skin. When you bought the game you didn't pay for it. There was no mention of it, or that you were entitled to it.

as long as I knew about the freebies before I made my choice to purchase, then I would feel as I do now... fine.

I knew I wouldnt get a mug.

I knew I wouldnt get a journal.

I knew I wouldnt get a personised sleeve

I knew I wouldnt get a Arsenal skin and player pics.

I knew ordering from Shopto I would get it early.

I knew activating my copy via Steam meant I got a free skin.

If SI came out now and said Arsenal Edition players would get an extra patch, I wouldnt be happy, as I wasnt allowed to make that decision.

But I knew everything before I made my decision. And Im happy, without my mug, without my journal, without my Arsenal skin and player pics, without the personised sleeve, but happy in the knowledge I will get the extra steam skin.

• SI Staff

We've said all along that we will be looking at making the most of the Steam system as it is very easy for us to create updates and add bonus content that we otherwise wouldn't do.

We also made it clear before release (via one of the blogs) that if you activate or purchase through Steam you will get a skin with a sidebar a few weeks after the game is released. There will be a few minor code changes required for the skin to work properly. These changes will be included in patch 2.

The reason we don't want people redistributing the skin is because it won't work as intended without these updates. I'm sure someone will create a similar skin anyway.

you no its allmost like them saying .. in order for you to get our free gift / skin you must sign up to bet365 or skybet .. the main point . ill make again ..

why should i need to sign up to anything in order to get this skin ...

How do you feel about providing bonus content through Xbox Live or PlayStation Network? With both of those, you need to sign up to another service in order to get extra content for your game. You are not forced to do this. It is entirely optional. This is no different that the skin and Steam. Steam is also quite wonderful, you shouldn't be opposed to it because it is the glorious future of PC gaming.

@Radestock & @Ter

One thing that's not been mentioned is what about those of us that use a Mac ?

Steam is not available, and therefore we had no choice. I like the dark skin, but I much prefer the 09 skin.

Saying people had a choice to buy through Steam or not buy through Steam isn't the case for Mac users as Valve haven't made Steam available to us yet.

Giving extras to PC users using Steam is quite a blow to Mac users. Not only do we not get the new goals/challenges/awards thingy (I've come to terms with that) but now we don't get the new skin either =(

I like that Sparks199's main issues are being worried about giving his details to people and remebering passwords and is complaining about it on a messageboard that you need to register for to be able to post.

Yeah but its not fair to those who don't wanna install Steam because the FM10 skin is so abysmal, I honestly can't get into a game because the skin is so counter-intuitive as well as being aesthetically unpleasing. If someone manages to release an old skool style skin on the forums then I won't care, but it doesn't look like anyone is going to so far

Basically, an old-school skin wouldn't work properly as of now. When the skin gets released on Steam it will download a mini update fixing the code needed for it to work. This code fix will also be included in patch 2 for non-steam users so an old school tree menu skin will work properly on any install after that.

I am sure some decent 3rd party skins will come along before thatf or those that dislike the FM default skins. It happens every year where people take a dislike to a change, though this year the majority of people seem to really like the new skin.

I do feel for Mac users with this mind you, as they don't have any choice whatsoever with Steam :thdn:

Jesus - a lot of people whining over absolutely nothing consequential at all.

You purchased with Steam - you get the extra skin

You purchased with Shopto or another online retailer - you got the game early

You purchased with Shopto and then activate with Steam - you don't have to worry about the DVD getting damaged, you get the game early and you get the extra skin.

And as for the ascertion that "The free skin is a vital part of the game and everyone should get it" - that's strange - in all my years of playing FM and CM, I've never seen a message come up at the start of the game stating that a missing skin which is to be made available to Steam users as a nice extra would prevent you from loading a game due to it not being there.

Jesus - a lot of people whining over absolutely nothing consequential at all.

You purchased with Steam - you get the extra skin

You purchased with Shopto or another online retailer - you got the game early

You purchased with Shopto and then activate with Steam - you don't have to worry about the DVD getting damaged, you get the game early and you get the extra skin.

And as for the ascertion that "The free skin is a vital part of the game and everyone should get it" - that's strange - in all my years of playing FM and CM, I've never seen a message come up at the start of the game stating that a missing skin which is to be made available to Steam users as a nice extra would prevent you from loading a game due to it not being there.

Nail on head really and what countless people have been trying to point out to certain users for the whole thread.

I do not feel this is acceptable treatment. I want the extra skin because I don't like the current one. I can not use Steam because I have had my account there banned. So why am I not entitled to a part of a product (and just because it is released later does not mean it is not a part of the product) that millions of people are? I do not think cheating online in a game, years ago, that has nothing to do with SI or SEGA, is a good enough reason as to why I am not entitled to this. If SI/SEGA said anyone who has been fined for littering cannot get this skin, people would say it is unacceptable. The same is true with this. I would like an explanation please.

What part of the word 'extra' are people not following? You aren't entitled to it, it's no big deal to be able to get it, and if you can't (or won't) then teh next patch will mean the small niggles that might stop people making 09 style skins will be removed. You're bloody lucky I'm not in charge of this, I'd have scrapped the whole thing due to teh level of bleating going on.

Archived