The Portugal/Portuguese League World Cup Thread

Indaro

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How have you guys drawn to Cape Verde? :D

And I thought Italy would struggle.

Well, we have one of the best in the world if not the best, but only when he's not playing for Portugal .. because when he is he turns himself into a useless player, obviously i'm talking about Ronaldo.

Paulo Ferreira, in my opinion, is a washed up player, no longer suited to be a first choice, unfortunately, the second choice is Miguel .. well .. his mind is clearly somewhere else outside of football and it has been like that for a few years now.

Duda, Daniel Fernandes (who?), Ricardo Costa, Zé Castro are all mediocre players or at least not good enough to be in our national team.

Hugo Almeida is like a crappy version of Oscar Cardozo, he's useless until he has the ball on his left foot and he's in a good position to score.

I'm sure i missed a few but yeah, we're screwed.

Well, we have one of the best in the world if not the best, but only when he's not playing for Portugal .. because when he is he turns himself into a useless player, obviously i'm talking about Ronaldo.

Paulo Ferreira, in my opinion, is a washed up player, no longer suited to be a first choice, unfortunately, the second choice is Miguel .. well .. his mind is clearly somewhere else outside of football and it has been like that for a few years now.

Duda, Daniel Fernandes (who?), Ricardo Costa, Zé Castro are all mediocre players or at least not good enough to be in our national team.

Hugo Almeida is like a crappy version of Oscar Cardozo, he's useless until he has the ball on his left foot and he's in a good position to score.

I'm sure i missed a few but yeah, we're screwed.

I don't think Portugal's squad is very good, but there is a decent first-XI in there somewhere. For me, the mistake was appointing Queiroz, who is a massive failure as a coach for any team where success is required. A different coach leading that team you started with today (I didn't see the game) would have overseen the thrashing of Cape Verde that should have materialised.

The most likely starting XI is the one that started tonight's game against Cameroon:

Eduardo; Paulo Ferreira, Bruno Alves, Ricardo Carvalho, Duda; Pedro Mendes, Raul Meireles, Deco; Cristiano Ronaldo, Liedson and Simão

The only doubt is in both fullbacks. I don't think that Queiroz has made a final decision on who to choose between Paulo Ferreira/Miguel for right back or Duda/Fabio Coentrão for left back.

Are you more confident now, after Portugal beat Cameroon?

A little more, in the first 20m i saw a glimpse of the kind of football that i expect Portugal to play. After Eto'o red card the game became easier and i feel that the players relaxed a bit.

It was an improvement from the what i saw against Cape Verde so, if in the next game against Mozambique i see an improvement in comparison to tonight's game, let's say i won't be so pessimist:D

How likely is Ferreira to play?

Very likely. Queiroz used him as a starter in the last two friendlies while Miguel has been a sub in the last 30m of the games. If tomorrow against Mozambique Ferreira is in the starting XI it means that he will be the first option for RB.

Ruben Amorim will travel today to South Africa to replace Nani. The shoulder injury that kept Nani out of recent training sessions revealed to be much worse than anyone was expecting.

At the risk of sounding too extreme, the person who invented that vuvuzela thing should be shot in the face

It really is an extreme thing to say. I am not sure I can disagree, tho.

Only saw the last 10m, Danny scored the 800 goal for Portugal and from what i heard had a good performance, along with Coentrão. Hugo Almeida scored twice:eek:

Got to say that i really hate those vuzuelas, the sound is really annoying.

hope coentrão starts ahead of duda and would you not rather cristiano ronaldo played upfront with danny wide?

or hugo almeida as the main striker? I don't think liédson is suited to play upfront alone, nor is he good enough at this level imo.

Coentrão despite being originally a winger his much more competent as a LB than Duda in every aspect. Even more when Duda with Malaga plays in the midfield, while Coentrão played almost the entire season as Benfica LB.

Ronaldo from my point of view has to play with a reference upfront, giving him freedom to roam all over the attack, run with ball using his speed and dribbling.

Between Liedson and Hugo Almeida, i would go with the second. Not because Hugo almeida is better but because he does that position much better than Liedson wich is the kind of player that needs someone by his side.

Nani isn't on the final 23 player list that Portugal sent to Fifa, he was replaced by Ruben Amorim. I think that Fifa only allows player changes on that list until the eve of the 1st game and only with proven medical reasons. The Portuguese FA said he could stay with the team for as long as he wanted but Man Utd asked him to return home in order to start the recovery.

Great that Danny is going to start he was born in my country(Venezuela) so its nice to see him play...

Danny is a very underrated* player. I hope this tournament helps him go to a more visible club.

*I know Zenit paid €30m, but not many people know him.

About Nani, I don't know what to think. Nani looked ****ed the other day and you don't send home a player like him if he has a chance to recover... very very strange.

Archived