The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exchampionsfan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

Long summer still to go but so far John Buchanan's 400 target looks a long long way off. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what was that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Australian coach, John Buchanan, said a couple of months ago that Australia would be attemting to be the first side to score 400 in ODI.

I'd love to hear him explain things so far rather than dumping it on Ponting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

As long as CKKJ doesn't post again in this thread, we'll be fine.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CKKJ:

This is close </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

Ooh, watch out Mr Jones. You've fired up Hayden now! icon_biggrin.gif Probably not the best idea to throw the ball into the head of a bloke who is well over six foot and carrying a length of willow in his hand! icon_biggrin.gif

Then again, you wouldn't have seen Lillee or Thommo backing down like Jones just did.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, nicked from another forum but ah well.

PREDICTIONS

Team I'll be supporting: England

Team who I think will take the Ashes home: Australia

Series score: 3-2

Top batsman from either side (most runs): Damien Martyn

Top bowler (most wickets): Glenn McGrath

Top English batsman: Michael Vaughan

Top Australian batsman: Damien Martyn

Top English bowler: Steve Harmison

Top Australian bowler: Glenn McGrath

Surprise package for England: Marcus Trescothick

Surprise package for Australia: -

Man of the Series: Adam Gilchrist

Biggest Disappointment for England: Simon Jones

Biggest Disappointment for Australia: Michael Clarke

Winner at Lords: England

Man of the Match at Lords: Michael Vaughan

PREDICTIONS

Team I'll be supporting: England

Team who I think will take the Ashes home: Australia

Series score: 2-2

Top batsman from either side (most runs): Vaughan

Top bowler (most wickets): Giles

Top English batsman: Vaughan

Top Australian batsman: Hayden

Top English bowler: Giles

Top Australian bowler: McGrath

Surprise package for England: Pietersen

Surprise package for Australia: Gillespie

Man of the Series: Strauss

Biggest Disappointment for England: G.Jones

Biggest Disappointment for Australia: Warne

Winner at Lords: England

Man of the Match at Lords: Pietersen

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree with Wicom, I have never gone through the following before.

Start - Optimism we could get it done quickly

Warne innings - Too close for comfort

Warne out - It's ours now

Kasper-Lee - F*cking hell they are going to win this

Harmi - Jumping all over the room, shouting my head off

Cricket just rules

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

That's not good sportsmanship, it's pre-emptive selfdefence before Lee decides to start bowling beamers in retaliation for the bouncers he copped from Flintoff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

*predicts 250 pages* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if it goes to the 5th test as a decider maybe, if the Aussies power away to win, no chance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<STRIKE>What if england power away to win?</STRIKE>

Sorry, redundant post.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">look i don't wanna take anything away from the english batsman - but we were fracking poor today. really, really poor. this english team might not be as good as you lot think they are, but you'll hammer us if we don't start playing soon. mark waugh got it about right for mine - "england can't really play that much better, we're hovering around the 70% mark" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark Waugh isn't the brightest chap is he? icon_biggrin.gif Most of Englands players have failed to fire properly yet, I'd say only Pietersen, Flintoff, Harmison and now Vaughan have played anywhere near their best so far.

I think it's more revealing that the Aussies are so scared they have to inject McGrath (35) with cortisone, strap him heavily and rush him back into the team icon_wink.gif I shudder to think of the damage he could be doing to that ankle icon_frown.gif

Almost time for me to go lads. Can't bear to be around here when you guys clean the tail and win again.

Although Warnie and Ponting could clear the total in 20 overs icon_rolleyes.gif

I can see Punter being stranded as the 10th wicket falls to be brutally honest.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

From SkySports

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Two blunders from Jones out there, he's like a boy in a man's game sometimes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

except the run out wasn't a blunder.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

go away fair-weather fans now please.

go watch rugby again, you're good at that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah they can all **** off back to football instead of ruining either sport.

Anyway great day for English cricket and a top quality series which was exciting all the way.

Not as big as the rwc but thats becasue ive got no real knowledge of cricket beyond watching test matches for the last few years, and i just prefer rugby in general.

Aside from Warne and Flintoff, your man of the series for each side: simon jones - justin langer

The opposing player who went up most in your estimations (cricketing wise): brett lee

Your teams player who went up most in your estimations (cricketing wise): kevin pietersen

Opposing player who went up most in your estimations (as a person - for the craic etc): brett lee

Same again but with your teams player: simon jones

Most memorable moment: flintoff and simon jones put on 50 for the last wicket at edgbaston - the six flintoff hit over the pavillion esp.

The defining moment of the series: second ball at lords. COME ON THEN

Archived