Sink or Swim in the Premiership

Leo30

TOTAL BET PREMIERSHIP ODDS

Chelsea have been installed as 6/4 favourites to retain the Premiership. Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool are joint second favourites at 7/4. These 4 are well clear in the market from Tottenham and Everton who are installed as 33/1.

West Brom are quoted at 80/1 which predicts a mid table finish for the team that are normally one of the favourites to get relegated. The odds show that West Brom have made progress since Lee Allen took charge.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Birmingham City Boss Steve Bruce thinks that Manchester United will be the team to watch this season. Manchester United will be looking to get off to a flying start when the season begins and they play Birmingham.

Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal must be wondering when their turn will arrive for them to lift the Premiership trophy.

Arsenal Boss thinks Stoke can stay in Premiership

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger openly admitted that he felt that Premiership newcomers would starve off Premiership relegation. Wenger thinks that Johan Boskamp is the man to drive Stoke forward and to steer clear of the Premiership bottom 3.

Stoke must be one of the favourites for the drop alongside Luton and Sheffield Wednesday.

Thanks for the compliment NightSpirit, glad your enjoying. Haven't played the game all week yet so will try and do an update later. Have you read it all, what would you like to happen in the story, I'll see if I can get it in. May add a differnent perception to it all. Anyway West Brom for Europe.!! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks glad your enjoying.

Manchester City V West Brom

The opening match of the season sees us travel to Manchester in what always turns out to be a goal feast. Both teams had spent wisely during the close season and both were now capable of finishing higher up the division.

Claudio Ranieria was quiety confident about his teams expectations to turn the visiting Albion side over.

A dull first half sees neither goalkeeper seriously troubled until the 48 minutes when David Bellion nets a debut goal. Manchester City quickly change their tactics and 8 minutes later level the scoring thanks to Elmander another debutant scoring.

End to end stuff throughout the second half with neither side manging to find that extra goal. Darren Carter was awarded the man of the match award for his hard working performance.

Manchester City will count themselves unfortunate to have earned the 3 points but this performance shows the rest of the Premiership that West Brom will be fighting for every point this season.

Lee Allen states "Peoples expectactions at the club are bigger than ever before, hopefully this season we can acheive that something special, its obviously early days but I feel that we won't be involved in a relegation battle, we'll leave that to some of the other teams to worry about"

Joy is back to work on a gradual basis and shes never looked so better. I have missed her its strange because we have nothing in common and shes the real office gossip.

"Lee, theres a voice mail for you its Nigel, apparently Francis Jeffers is AWOL, I've phoned Nigel to say that we haven't heard anything, wonder what the blokes got up to" she says

"Don't know but he's becoming to big for his boots, just coz we won't let him go, he is not dictacting to me. God I hate it when they don't abide by the rules, phone him at home and tell him I want him in the ground first thing in the morning and tell him he'd better have a good excuse."

"Calm down Lee, can't have you ill as well"

"I hate it Joy you try and do your best by everybody and they throw it in your face"

I can't sleep constantly thinking about what lay in store tomorrow. I needed to handle the situation delicately. Francis was a good player but he wanted out. I needed to consider the options andpossibly the reasons for him not turning up for training. Is it because he wants out now or is because I just wouldn't put him on the transfer list. He has a minimum release clause of £4 million and with money in the bank I could easily replace him. I also needed to take account of the impact it would have on the other lads. I talk myself into putting him up for sale on the condition that nothing less than £4 million will be accepted.

Hours go by and lie there tossing and turning Jess seems a bit moody this morning probably as I kept her up all night with my constant movement. "I'm sorry Jess I just couldn't sleep"

"Youv'e got a bad day in the office ahead of you, I told you at the beginning don't bring your problems home with you, its not worth it."

"I'm going to get in early, do you want a cuppa?"

"Might as well, I aint going to get any sleep am I"

Joy walks into the office. "Francis is outside, shall I let him in?"

"No wait 5 minutes then send him in, he can't just waltz into the club and think everything revolves around him"

5 minutes pass (but it seems alot longer) and their is a knock on the door. "Come in" it was quite a stern come in not my normal pleasant self.

"Francis, so glad you could make it and on time as well, take a seat"

"I know what this is about boss, you want to know why I didn't turn up yesterday well...."

"Francis I aint bothered, you've made it well clear that you don't want to be here, I am angry about the way you have gone about things. You have thought solely about yourself, not about your team mates and everybody else at the club. I know you want to go, its obvious, but why should I play you when your not turning up for training. If you don't turn up for training you don't go in the team and then nobody will come in for you, your loss"

"You have to play me! I'm one of your best players"

I cut him short...

"Ermm, you may be but I can't play somebody who is obviously not dedicated to West Brom, its not a kick about on the park. I want this club to be successful more than anybody I want to go places. We all do. But you haven't heard about me applying for other jobs and not turning up"

"So what you going to do?"

"I have thought about this long and hard and have made the decision to fine you 1 weeks wages, and I will put you on the transfer list"

His face lights up he want's out, its obvious to see it in his eyes

"On the condition that it is for a figure of no less than £4 million. If it happens again you'll find yourself in the reserves and you want be able to impress the scouts"

"Ok boss point taken"

"Now get out and clear your head and be right for Saturday, if I pick you"

Birsa Double sinks West Brom

West Brom 1 Birmingham 2

In the first Midlands derby of the season, Steve Bruce bring's Birmingham City to the Hawthorns. Lee Allen talks to the press before the game about Francis Jeffers as there is speculation about whether he will start or not.

Jeffers is included in the lining up and in fact it is the same 16 that drew with Manchester City last week.

Valter Birsa nets a deflected shot into the Baggies goal on 30 minutes with Darren Carter netting a response on the stroke of half time. An even fought contest and the scores are even.

Its Birmingham City who make the brighter start in the second half and Birsa nets his second. Birsa a new signing from Hearts has made an immediate impact on his Blues career. Could this be their season?

Jeffers is taken off and replaced by Ellington, but Ellington fails to make any impact, is this the end for Jeffers?

Steve Bruce talks to the press after the match "This is a good result for us, it wipes away last weeks disappointment. Birsa was unbelievable a magnificient capture for the club."

Lee Allen however had a different tune "We are unlucky to pick nothing up from the game, I thought we played well in parts, although the second half was not the best football I had seen at the club. Before you ask I brought Ellington on to add something different up front. We'll rebuild and get ready for the next derby which is next week at Villa Park"

Midland Derby Stalemate

22nd August 2007

Aston Villa 1 West Brom 1

Attendance 42,557

A near capacity crowd at Villa Park witnessed a thriling 1-1 draw. Both sides had ample opportunities to collect the 3 points.

Both sides had 5 shots on goal with West Brom slightly having the slghter gretaer possession and creating more from the wide players.

However it was Villa who opened the scoring on 45 minutes with defender Wilfred Bouma netting the goal. It took the Albion 23 minutes to reply through new signing Andrea Gasbarroni netting his first goal for the Baggies following his move from Manchester City.

Lee Allen is pleased with the result "its early days to have an idea how the season is going to pan out. You have to take the positives we have 2 points on the table and they've come from away games."

David O'Leary is more optimistic "The fans are looking for Villa to remain the number 1 club in the Midlands. There are now 3 fully established Midlands clubs in the Premiership. The Villa fans will be looking for European qualification this season, anything less and they won't be happy. We've done it before so we want to do it again. The result was a fair reflection on the game. Lee Allen organises the Albion well, I thought we had done enough to get the 3 points, but credit to the Albion boys, they did there club proud"

League Cup 2nd Round Draw

Pick of the ties

Man City V Wigan

Villa V Coventry

Walsall V Portsmouth

Sheff Utd V Birmingham

Watford V Blackburn

Crewe V Stoke

Chesterfield V Preston

Sheff Wed v Brighton

West Brom V Crystal Palace

Plymouth V Luton

Newcastle V Reading

M'borough V M K Dons

Toffees stick with the Albion

Everton walk away with a deserved point from the Hawthorns this afternoon.

Neil Clement puts the home side 1-0 up after 4 minutes with a wonderful 30 yeard strike that gave Ruddy in the Everton goal no chance.

An error from Kamara led to the equaliser on 38 minutes scored by Llorente.

Everton captain Neville gives the Albion a penalty on 52 minutes fouling Bellion in the box. However Bellion is unable to covert the offer placing a weak shot straight at the goalie.

"Some players need to look at this performance as it simply wasn't good enough. The penalty miss just about sums the afternoon up, we had chances to win the game but it wasn't to be." Lee Allen comments

DOUBLE SWOOP FOR BAGGIES ON DEADLINE DAY

West Brom boss Lee Allen today added further competition for places with the signing of two defenders.

Stuart Parnaby joins in a 2.9 million move from Liverpool and Phillipe Senderos joins from Arsenal for 2 million. This takes the Baggies boss spending to over 10 million. Surely some players will be leaving the Hawthorns.

Tottenham splash the cash with the biggest move involving a premiership club spending 17.25 million bringing Luca Toni from Fiorentina.

Liverpool 4 West Brom 2

Neil Clement provided a touch of class this afternoon at the New Anfield scoring a wonderful goal with only 3 minutes on the clock.

Liverpool quickly piled on the pressure and it Sissoko who equalised on the half hour mark. West Brom failed to be overwhelmed by the 60,000 plus and quickly regained the league with David Bellion scoring 3 minutes before the break.

Liverpool's team talk must have been a real wake up call as they failed to let the Baggies settle into their stride when the team's returned onto the pitch. Sissoko and Le Tallac's two goals ensured that the points stayed in Merseyside.

Lee Allen comments "To have scored two goals and come away with nothing is disappointing. We have a tough start to the season. Our new signing's will make an impact. Stuart had a quiet game this afternoon but it's going to take time to settle the team down."

• 4 weeks later...

Archived