Group stage question

Justice96

Shame they don't set a specific date for an extra game, like in the old times, it wouldn't even be that hard, just make the tournament last 3-4 extra days.

i think a good idea if this scenario occurs would be to give the team with the highest ranking to go through

Awful idea. It's a disgrace that there is seeding in football as it is, but to do it like that would be a shocking state - saying that FIFA would probably change the rules at the last minute to do that anyway - it's not like they don't have previous of changing the rules near the end of an event...

i think a good idea if this scenario occurs would be to give the team with the highest ranking to go through

FIFA rankings have a lot of inherent issues, especially when it comes to comparing teams from different continental federations. Using them to decide who advances to the knockout stages would be extremely unfair to teams not from Europe or the Americas.

I do not know if this applies in the World Cup, but for Euro 2008, if the 2 tied teams were the ones playing against each other in the final group game, there would have be a penalty shootout to decide who went through.

Should be drawing of lots, happened in England's group in 1990, Dutch and Ireland had identical records in all regards and lots were drawn. Ireland ended up with Romania in the next round and went through on pens and Dutch went out to Germany IIRC including the infamous 'spitting' incident!

Should be drawing of lots, happened in England's group in 1990, Dutch and Ireland had identical records in all regards and lots were drawn. Ireland ended up with Romania in the next round and went through on pens and Dutch went out to Germany IIRC including the infamous 'spitting' incident!

Your are correct.

In that time, the best ranked No.3 (the 4 best No.3 of out 6 groups advanced to the next round) of the groups advanced, so, beside us getting the Germans, not really a problem, since we got into the next round, now, were the No.3's are eliminated it is much more sick to go outand back home on a lot draw, while the other advances to the round of 16, in this case a replay would be better as others mentioned in the thread.

Lots drawn, as the pic says.

Yea, don't see why he asked really? :D

I do not know if this applies in the World Cup, but for Euro 2008, if the 2 tied teams were the ones playing against each other in the final group game, there would have be a penalty shootout to decide who went through.

That is still in place for Euro 2012 too. As long as they are the only teams that are tied of course.

UEFA uses the following (if points, goal difference and goals scored can't separate teams):

f) position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system (see Annex I,

paragraph 1.2.2);

g) fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament);

h) drawing of lots.

while FIFA only has:

g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

Should be penalties imo.

Not really practical if the teams isn't playing each other in the last match or if there is several teams with similar records.

surely f will separate them pretty much 99.99% of the time? I'd have the fair play record above that tbh.

Then I think if they drew against each other in the group game, but couldn't have pens because it wasn't the last game, then give it to whoever scored first in that game.

Your are correct.

In that time, the best ranked No.3 (the 4 best No.3 of out 6 groups advanced to the next round) of the groups advanced, so, beside us getting the Germans, not really a problem, since we got into the next round, now, were the No.3's are eliminated it is much more sick to go outand back home on a lot draw, while the other advances to the round of 16, in this case a replay would be better as others mentioned in the thread.

Ye but you scored that ridiculously lucky header against us in Euro 88' and went on to win it so it was revenge :D

surely f will separate them pretty much 99.99% of the time? I'd have the fair play record above that tbh.

I would assume so but it is textbook UEFA to cover their bases on procedural issues. Of course it is textbook FIFA not to (as per the N Korean striker/keeper issue most recently ;)).

Then I think if they drew against each other in the group game, but couldn't have pens because it wasn't the last game, then give it to whoever scored first in that game.

Firstly that only works when it's a 2 team situation and secondly I'd say that playing deciders that you don't know is a decider at the time you play it is a very bad idea.

Your are correct.

Sure, you and Ireland both got through, not as bad as if one of you was eliminated but they got Romania and you got Germany and went out, I know which I would have preferred!

Sure, you and Ireland both got through, not as bad as if one of you was eliminated but they got Romania and you got Germany and went out, I know which I would have preferred!

Yeah agreed, but at least we had the chance to play for it after the lot draw, now, if you would loose the lot draw you are immediately out of the competition, and yes, I would have preferred Romania over Germany

Archived