World Cup pundits,the worst ever?

JP Woody

They might not have been in quite the same class as Davids or Desailly, but their understanding of the game is surely unquestionable - they're both players with World Cup experience after all.

I think it's more a case of them not really knowing how to express themselves, largely due to them both being thick as ****.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely spot on.

The problem with the BBC is that Match of the Day is populated by Gary Lineaker's golfing chums.

Radio Five Live have a good midweek panel where they mix former players, managers and journalists and it is far more insighful and expert than any of the TV offerings. The journalists especially are very good and tend to show up the former players for knowing very little about the game.

The ex managers are Graham Taylor and David Pleat and they do have something about them.

• SI Staff
Think Keown's stock is rising amongst a sea of crap so far. At least he makes an occasionally insightful point without resorting to abusing the referee, inane cliche or being condescending towards smaller nations.

I am finding myself quite liking him. Odd.

I can't take Davids seriously with those dodgy frames he is wearing! You would think he could afford something a bit cooler than looking like a 80's news reader.

Yeah. Cos the best pundits have modern specs.

Danny Baker being on BBC1 last night was so much more entertaining than any other pundit that has been on. At least he sticks his neck out. When was the last time any tv pundit ever even dared to predict an outsider to win any match?

The problem is BBC and ITV feel they have to get a famous face where I feel they could have had a good mix. A good idea would have been to get some sports writers in, someone intendant who would challenge the views of the panel. I cannot believe how little the pundits know about the 'smaller' teams. They should really be doing their research. I know most of the players from Footy Manager!

Danny Baker being on BBC1 last night was so much more entertaining than any other pundit that has been on. At least he sticks his neck out. When was the last time any tv pundit ever even dared to predict an outsider to win any match?

Although I imagine people will say he is a bit boring, Gareth Southgate appears genuinely knowledgeable about the 'smaller' nations and has predicted a few outsiders to win or perform well before matches.

But there is a clear winner for the best pundit out there: Roy Hodgson on the BBC last night. Always interesting to listen to and if they had got rid of Shearer and just had Roy and Seedorf last night, it would have been the best panel of pundits so far! :thup:

Roy. :cool:

But there is a clear winner for the best pundit out there: Roy Hodgson on the BBC last night. Always interesting to listen to and if they had got rid of Shearer and just had Roy and Seedorf last night, it would have been the best panel of pundits so far! :thup:

Roy. :cool:

Even when he continually called Mexico Algeria last night? Shades of Bobby Robson.

Even when he continually called Mexico Algeria last night? Shades of Bobby Robson.

We all knew what he meant! ;):D

The guy is a legend. A proper football man.

Intelligent and articulate. He's worth 10 Alan Shearers and Alan Hansens.

His tactical insight is really worth listening to.

I think someone earlier in this thread had a go at the RTE pundits but in comparison to BBC and ITV they're way, way ahead. You might not agree with a lot of what Dunphy, Giles and the rest say but at least they have strong opinions on the game and its extremely entertaining. The example of Shearer and the rest not knowing anything about teams they've been paid to comment on is damning really.

Hansen in particular is like an alpha male with learning difficulties. The impression I get is that its an almighty pain in the arse for him to get paid a king's ransom to go to a World Cup and pretend he's Larry David. Everytime he ridicules a defender he knows nothing about there really should be a replay of him knocking Scotland out in 82 with his appalling gaffe against the USSR.

I think someone earlier in this thread had a go at the RTE pundits but in comparison to BBC and ITV they're way, way ahead. You might not agree with a lot of what Dunphy, Giles and the rest say but at least they have strong opinions on the game and its extremely entertaining. The example of Shearer and the rest not knowing anything about teams they've been paid to comment on is damning really.

Hansen in particular is like an alpha male with learning difficulties. The impression I get is that its an almighty pain in the arse for him to get paid a king's ransom to go to a World Cup and pretend he's Larry David. Everytime he ridicules a defender he knows nothing about there really should be a replay of him knocking Scotland out in 82 with his appalling gaffe against the USSR.

All the Anglo panels are shocking, and that includes RTÉ (apart from Souness, who's okay.) RTÉ panel is a circus act. People lap it up because they slag off England, but they contribute no insight whatsoever. Like the BBC and ITV panels, they know absolutely zilch about any player who isn't in the Premier League, and will cheerfully express ignorance of the teams they're being paid to analyse, despite having had over six months to bone up on them. Shameful.

All the Anglo panels are shocking, and that includes RTÉ (apart from Souness, who's okay.) RTÉ panel is a circus act. People lap it up because they slag off England, but they contribute no insight whatsoever. Like the BBC and ITV panels, they know absolutely zilch about any player who isn't in the Premier League, and will cheerfully express ignorance of the teams they're being paid to analyse, despite having had over six months to bone up on them. Shameful.

I would say the RTE pundits are worse than the ITV ones, most of them are useless. They have way too strong opinions on people (Ronaldo) and favor teams way too much (Celtic)

lewisq - of course its a circus act, that's why Apres Match exists but at least they argue. Look at this phish on ITV now - Southgate says nothing, Keegan mutters and Vieira says exactly what he thinks people want. There is no debate whatsoever. I think RTE's commitment to major sporting events is superb and should be cherished really... ok, you might not agree with the stuff they say but on non-England games ITV will cut to James Corden's World Cup Live at 9.30 - that's about 5 minutes analysis and invariably 3 and half of them will be a riveting exclusive in the England camp.

duffman - since when have the RTE panel supported Celtic ffs?

lewisq - of course its a circus act, that's why Apres Match exists but at least they argue. Look at this phish on ITV now - Southgate says nothing, Keegan mutters and Vieira says exactly what he thinks people want. There is no debate whatsoever. I think RTE's commitment to major sporting events is superb and should be cherished really... ok, you might not agree with the stuff they say but on non-England games ITV will cut to James Corden's World Cup Live at 9.30 - that's about 5 minutes analysis and invariably 3 and half of them will be a riveting exclusive in the England camp.

duffman - since when have the RTE panel supported Celtic ffs?

Whenever they show a one of Celtics CL games they are pretty biased, maybe that's just me though

I would say the RTE pundits are worse than the ITV ones, most of them are useless. They have way too strong opinions on people (Ronaldo) and favor teams way too much (Celtic)

I'd take listening to funny ******* over boring ******* any day of the week. RTE:thup:

Also Apres Match! 80% sh*te 20% pure gold, okey doke!

Lets look on the bright side,at least Jamie Redknapp hasn't been on.

Here are a few of his quotes where he uses the word "literally" wrongly.

1. “Alonso and Sissoko have been picked to literally sit in front of the back four.” on the Liverpool midfielders taking it easy for the Champions League game against Barcelona.

2. “Drogba literally destroyed Senderos today.” after the Carling Cup final.

3. “He’s literally left Ben Haim for dead there.” The post-match analysis of Liverpool v Chelsea,

4. “Evra’s literally left him for dead there.” commentating on the Community Shield.

5. “Centre forwards have the ability to make time stand still. And when Chopra got the ball, it literally did just that.”

6. “This new ball is going quicker than ever - it literally explodes off the player’s foot.”

7. “Alonso and Sissoko have been picked to literally sit in front of the back four.” Jamie Redknapp on the Liverpool midfielders taking it easy for the Champions League game against Barcelona.

8. ‘He’s literally turned him inside out.’

9. “That cross to Rooney was literally on a plate”

10. “Centre forwards have the ability to make time stand still. And when Chopra got the ball, it literally did just that.”

11. “He literally turns into a greyhound” Talking about Michael Owen

12. “That could literally kick start their season” - on Man City vs Chelsea

13. “Scholes has such a great footballing brain. He’ll see a picture in his head and literally paint it in front of you.”

14. “He had to cut back inside onto his left, because he literally hasn’t got a right foot”

15. “He literally chopped him in half in that challenge”

16. “The ball is literally glued to Messi’s boot”

17. “Messi literally sends people out of the stadium with his skill”

18. “Wayne Rooney literally destroyed Tottenham on his own.”

19. “Cissé literally has pace to burn”

20. “He literally turned on a sixpence”

21. “Gerrard has been amazing. He’s literally covered every blade of grass on the pitch”

22. “He’s literally sold the defender a dummy”

23. “Martin Jol’s head is literally on the chopping block.”

24. “The crowd behind the goal are literally going insane.”

rofl :D.. the image of scholes setting up an eezel (sp?) and start painting a picture in the middle of the pitch is the funniest

I know everyone hates Dunphy and he can be funny but I have heard him interviewed where he said he didn't want to be like other pundits, out golfing with players, etc, how can you be objective, he wanted to be buddy-buddy or a proper journo.

That said, he did lick Roy Keane's balls at every opportunity and go a bit pro-Ireland on stuff but he did start kicking Keane when he was down after he did some silly things at Sunderland or something

ESPN pundits (Robert Martinez, Shaun Bartlett, Jurgen Klinsmann) have been pretty decent, IMO.

But as said up thread, they may just look better sitting next to the holocaust that is Alexi Lalas.

Martinez has been :cool:

I think Lalas is scared of the camera or something. I'm not sure I've seen him look at it while he's been "punditing"

Ossie Ardilles has been on RTE the last few days and has been terrific. Very knowledgable about all the teams - best I've seen.

I thought he was quite good as well. I also liked Hamann.

I prefer RTE's analysis now anyway to BBC and ITV mainly for the entertainment rather than tactical insight or knowledge. A row is more likely to happen. :D

Anyone see Eurosport's with Lebouef, Elber, Milla, Wenger and an African girl called Lebo or something like that?

I prefer RTE's analysis now anyway to BBC and ITV mainly for the entertainment rather than tactical insight or knowledge. A row is more likely to happen. :D

Yeah, they are more entertaining but I also think that they either have better tactical knowledge (at least John Giles) or they are not afraid to express their views. I'm not quite sure that anyone could say that the RTE pundits lack tactical insight/intelligence. John Giles has forgotten more about football than anybody BBC/ITV/Sky offer.

Yeah, they are more entertaining but I also think that they either have better tactical knowledge (at least John Giles) or they are not afraid to express their views. I'm not quite sure that anyone could say that the RTE pundits lack tactical insight/intelligence. John Giles has forgotten more about football than anybody BBC/ITV/Sky offer.

Just to clear up, that I am not saying that they lack tactical knowledge or anything like that. I just prefer them mainly for the entertainment purposes though.

The thing I hate the most is when you are watching a game that doesn't include England, they spend the entire time talking about them. Talk about the two teams, isn't that rule one of Pundits.

Who would have thought I would miss Andy Gray

Martinez has been :cool:

I think Lalas is scared of the camera or something. I'm not sure I've seen him look at it while he's been "punditing"

Occasionally I catch an American soccer show on ESPN here in the UK (can't remember the name) but when the pundits (Robbie Mustoe) start talking and looking straight at the camera, it's really unnerving. Ours don't do this and it's strange to see. I've seen American football shows where the pundits do it as well.

I think I know the reason why Gareth Southgate failed as a manager. He never seems to form his own opinion and be totally sure of it! Every single statement ends with a "Don't you think so, xxxxx?" or "Isn't that right, xxxxx?" (replace xxxxx with whoever the other pundits are).

As usual, if you want pundits for a bit of banter, RTE win hands-down (Giles, Dunphy, Whelan).

If you want intelligence, BBC (Seedorf, Hodgson, Hansen).

If you want to be annoyed, Andy Townsend, commercials & ITV.

Nothing intelligent has been expressed yet by the BBC pundits...it's been as bad as ITV's pundits.

I think I know the reason why Gareth Southgate failed as a manager. He never seems to form his own opinion and be totally sure of it! Every single statement ends with a "Don't you think so, xxxxx?" or "Isn't that right, xxxxx?" (replace xxxxx with whoever the other pundits are).

That, and the fact he appears to believe that the likes of Santos are small clubs.

The big TV channels have to cater for the majority and unfortunately I would class this community as being in the minority. The general public won’t want in-depth tactical discussions or an analysis on Hamsik, they want something they can easily understand and nod their head with.

As for pundits I would imagine it’s hard to get the balance of someone who really knows their stuff but who is also comfortable in front of the camera and able to put their thoughts across in a coherent manner. Of course there are exceptions who all all-rounders, but in the main TV producers will go for people who are good in front of the camera over people who really know their stuff.

You do know these analysts and commentators don't just turn up and leave. There is a lot more to it than that. As said before it is also hard to get your point across while sitting in front of a camera with millions watching

Commentator behind the scenes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2008/7460151.stm

An analyst behind the scenes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8776283.stm

Except for the ITV analysts, they look they just turn up

The big TV channels have to cater for the majority and unfortunately I would class this community as being in the minority. The general public won’t want in-depth tactical discussions or an analysis on Hamsik, they want something they can easily understand and nod their head with.

As for pundits I would imagine it’s hard to get the balance of someone who really knows their stuff but who is also comfortable in front of the camera and able to put their thoughts across in a coherent manner. Of course there are exceptions who all all-rounders, but in the main TV producers will go for people who are good in front of the camera over people who really know their stuff.

Good point.

Usually the BBC is pretty good with the tactical analysis side of things on MOTD, especially Alan Hansen, but throughout the tournament it's all been very generic talk, which probably does suit the occasional football fan.

This World Cup we didn´t have anything really significant except from a lady presenter trying to shake hands with her blind guest in one of the World Cup shows.

But believe me, you´d love to follow the World Cup in Brazilian TV and press - if you knew Portuguese, that is. From the high-caliber spot on tactical analysts to the people´s choice don´t-know anything about football but communicate with the masses type of guy.

Here´s one for the ages - Brazilian presenter drunk on live national television (tbf, a secondary channel) after Italy won WC 2006. You won´t understand much, but I think you´ll have fun with it. He later alleged he had taken sleeping pills.

Cheers,

Tele

Lets look on the bright side,at least Jamie Redknapp hasn't been on.

Here are a few of his quotes where he uses the word "literally" wrongly.

1. “Alonso and Sissoko have been picked to literally sit in front of the back four.” on the Liverpool midfielders taking it easy for the Champions League game against Barcelona.

2. “Drogba literally destroyed Senderos today.” after the Carling Cup final.

3. “He’s literally left Ben Haim for dead there.” The post-match analysis of Liverpool v Chelsea,

4. “Evra’s literally left him for dead there.” commentating on the Community Shield.

5. “Centre forwards have the ability to make time stand still. And when Chopra got the ball, it literally did just that.”

6. “This new ball is going quicker than ever - it literally explodes off the player’s foot.”

7. “Alonso and Sissoko have been picked to literally sit in front of the back four.” Jamie Redknapp on the Liverpool midfielders taking it easy for the Champions League game against Barcelona.

8. ‘He’s literally turned him inside out.’

9. “That cross to Rooney was literally on a plate”

10. “Centre forwards have the ability to make time stand still. And when Chopra got the ball, it literally did just that.”

11. “He literally turns into a greyhound” Talking about Michael Owen

12. “That could literally kick start their season” - on Man City vs Chelsea

13. “Scholes has such a great footballing brain. He’ll see a picture in his head and literally paint it in front of you.”

14. “He had to cut back inside onto his left, because he literally hasn’t got a right foot”

15. “He literally chopped him in half in that challenge”

16. “The ball is literally glued to Messi’s boot”

17. “Messi literally sends people out of the stadium with his skill”

18. “Wayne Rooney literally destroyed Tottenham on his own.”

19. “Cissé literally has pace to burn”

20. “He literally turned on a sixpence”

21. “Gerrard has been amazing. He’s literally covered every blade of grass on the pitch”

22. “He’s literally sold the defender a dummy”

23. “Martin Jol’s head is literally on the chopping block.”

24. “The crowd behind the goal are literally going insane.”

LOL, that cracked me up. :D

The "punditry" has done my head in this World Cup. It's a World Cup and 20mins of the build up to a game not including England still involved England. I want to hear about other teams and what we can expect from them, not about a team that gets shoved down my throat at every opportunity.

Case in point: Honduras vs Chile. Ok, not a big heavy weight match but talk to anyone with a little knowledge of international football and there was a lot of excitement and expectation to see Chile and Bielsa's tactics. What informative and tactical insight did we get from ITV? Jara play's for Chiles' team West Brom and has been injured a lot. Thanks for that. Seriously, they're getting paid to watch football and if it's not the Premiership or Champion's League it doesn't exist and if you dont play in either of those you're not very good.

Another one. Shearer's comments on Spain vs Switzerland...He said something along the lines of "expecting 4 or 5" for the Spanish. Has he even seen Switzerland play? I didn't expect a Swiss win but i sure as hell wasn't expecting them to get hammered. "If they dont play in the Premiership they're *****".

We either get people who offer no insight or moan. You're at the World Cup FFS!! Shut up and explain why it's a dire match if that's what you think.

Rant over.

Archived