Players of the world cup so far

beezer1967

Schweinsteiger, Muller, Ozil, Higuain (sp) & Honda

If Suárez can play good again against Ghana and Robben/Sneijder if they play go good (or great) against Slovakia, then they will be in here as well.

what do you think his best position is? att mid or striker?

For Bayern he plays as a false Nine and bagged 35 scorer points in his first season in professional football. I think he's fine everywhere in offense as long as he is allowed to cut inside frequently and not some sort of target man. His main strength is sniffing empty spaces and for that to happen he can't be the focus of the opposition's defense.

Klose for Germany and Olic for Bayern do a great job in occupying the central defenders, so Mueller can just wiggle his way into the penalty area and score or assist thanks to his godlike composure.

Have been suprised by Carlos Salcido, I've never sen him play to this standard in the Dutch league.

Agreed, he don't get the standard in the Dutch league which he is showing at this WC. Ahh, maybe PSV can sell him now..

In addition to the above, and even though he's a ball-greedy bastard, I've been really impressed with Kevin-Prince Colin Kazim-Richards Boateng. Landon Donovan, too, has dragged the USA kicking and screaming into the last sixteen.

Honourable mentions to:

Diego Perez (Uruguay) for showing Rino Gattuso how tenacious midfield play should be done

Robert Vittek (Slovakia) for being just about the best of the worst players

Gervinho (Ivory Coats) who was criminally under-used once big Diddy got his arm back

Madjid Bougherra (Algeria) for "literally" owning both Rooney and Heskey, and then getting a refund

Martin Stekelenburg (Netherlands) apart from today's fantasy league-busting last minute aberration, of course

Ryan Nelsen (New Zealand) for performing defensive heroics at the heart of the defence of a woefully Scotland-esque team

Frank Ribery (unknown) for proving that it's not just English players that are hideously over-rated

Perez does have to be in there, just for having a strop when he was told having half your blood on the outside is probably a reason for you having to leave the pitch for treatment. And then trying to get back on without really doing anything. That guy is the definition of a crazy midfield destroyer.

I can take the ball and shoot immediately after getting it also.

I think that's a bit harsh tbh. Ok, he didn't do much in the 2nd and 3rd games, but against Brazil at least he showed a nice first-touch, intelligent off the ball movement, impressive workrate and effort, held it up well a few times, and just clearly looked a vastly superior player to any of his team-mates. He's maybe not a world-beater but I don't think he'd have looked out of place playing for many of the bigger and better teams at the tournament.

Forlan - much more creative than usual, while still being a threat

Villa - just clinical, on a team that might lack that otherwise

Annan - a solid destroyer, very important for Ghana

Özil - best performance of the tournament vs. Australia imo

Schweinsteiger - very composed, keeping a good balance for Germany

Elano - Was imo Brazil's best player until he got injured

I've got to add my name to the Özil list I think, he's been fantastic. Elano too has been good - apart from a short run of good form, we were unlucky not to see him do better at City. Forlán has been good too, although nobody ever really doubted him. Vittek has done very well for Slovakia.

One of the main things I love about major tournaments like this is the fact that it gives you the opportunity to see players you've hardly heard of (or indeed never heard of) come to the fore and do well.

Archived