Nigeria banned for two years.

matt1389

Nigeria wants to withdraw from all football while it cleans up the NFF then will re-apply. (That was what was said on Nigerian news this morning).

The withdrawal is to AVOID a Fifa ban because if they sorted out the NFF while still competing Fifa would issue some sort of punishment.

Tbf it will still resort in a 4 year ban which is actually the aim of the administrators (Nigeria have had a 4 year ban before in the 90's)

It is absolutely essential for Nigerian Football as its the same people controlling the NFF and ruining it for decades. This way the government intervenes gets rid of the idiots, sorts out the mess and then starts from scratch.

With 140 million people, Nigeria should be a powerhouse in Africa and not an also-ran.

23 man squad and all the good young players from the u-21 and olympic squads left out for the like of Yakubu etc was the final straw.

Seems to be going down a treat in Nigeria and i think the actual qualifying for the World Cup was a stay of execution for the NFF. People just want rid of them and it seems this is the only way to do it.

Goodluck is the only guy popular enough and not a dictator to get away with this while running Nigeria and tbf the guy has been on track with everything he does, so he will get huge support.

It is absolutely essential for Argentinian Football as its the same people controlling the AFA and ruining it for decades. This way the government intervenes gets rid of the idiots, sorts out the mess and then starts from scratch.

Fixed.

Tbh this could be said of many other FAs...

Fixed.

Only difference is that with many other FA's they have performances that cover the cracks or governments that could not get away with it.

Goodluck has such immense popularity its unreal (the guy has inherited every post from deputy-governor to governor then vice-president and now president). All the phone in programmes are supporting this and the only worry is he may be made to backdown by Fifa.

Look at the alternative, Nigeria underachieve at two more Nations cups and go out in another World Cup group phase (thats if they qualify) or get a ban reorganise the football structure as part of the many things he is reorganising and starting from scratch.

This could be catastrophic for Nigerian Football - hopefully for them their football association will see sense and reverse this, otherwise FIFA will ban them for years for political intervention.

Why would it be catastrophic that they dont play a few international competitions for a few years. They were banned from 1996 to 2000 by CAF and still got to the World cup 2nd round in 98 and on their return to African football went straight to the 2000 Nations cup final (Lost on pens).

At most they will miss ONE World cup (which they are not guaranteed to qualify for anyway)

Won't the ban be more harsh as it is a repeat offence?

I'm even saying it should be, in this case. Can't go pulling in and out to avoid the rules just like that.

I'm even saying it should be, in this case. Can't go pulling in and out to avoid the rules just like that.

The highest ban FIFA has imposed is 12 months on Iraq while Ethiopia and Kenya were told that as soon as they got their associations back on track they will be let back in.

The 4 year ban was from CAF for pulling out of the 1996 Nations Cup. Nigeria could have had that overturned on appeal but decided not to do so.

The NFF is wholly funded by the government and the mismanagement of funds was reported to be in the tens of millions of dollars with coaching staff going unpaid and player bonuses not being honoured.

Something had to be done as the NFF had gone to the government cap in hand for money to give Lagerback a 4 year contract. When that news broke the reaction in Nigeria was basically one of annoyance and the NFF then gave the Eagles job to Eguaveon as temporary manager (such a shambles)

This is such a much needed kick for Nigerian football, different countries do things different ways but for Nigeria this is the best way and Goodluck is the only guy capable at the moment.

TBH I never could understand the FIFA stance about interference.

Sure there are many stupid presidents or governments. But still I'm pretty sure that it's much harder to become a president of a country if you are a cretin than to become the ruler of the national FA. It's much easier for a "clan" to seize the full control of the FA and with the FIFA protection it's virtually impossible to knock them out.

Sure there are many stupid presidents or governments. But still I'm pretty sure that it's much harder to become a president of a country if you are a cretin than to become the ruler of the national FA. It's much easier for a "clan" to seize the full control of the FA and with the FIFA protection it's virtually impossible to knock them out.

You have spot on described Sani Lulu and his cronies who have a vice-like grip on the NFF.

Goodluck is so popular at the moment with his fight against corruption and the power crisis that people were calling on him to add the football situation into his top priorities and he has done that now.

For a country divided along religious and tribal lines, football is the number one uniting factor and this slump the team has experienced at senior level has gone on too long.

Chile got banned from two tournaments IIRC after Rojas pretended a flare thrown from the crowd hit him, the game (vs Brazil, which they were losing) was abandoned and it was later discovered (hello, TV replays) that Rojas was just acting.

Seems quite harsh when you think about it now.

Maybe DJ you'd like to demonstrate how the particles of flame from the flare may have in fact actually hit Rojas and it was in fact a legit injury, eh? ;)

How do you know so much about this icon?

My Dad has been in Nigeria for over a year now and is football mad. He calls me almost everyday to discuss the latest stuff.

You get the red top type stuff (equivalent of the sun) saying stuff like "President steps in to sort out eagles" etc. The fact is Fifa will not stand for it but the general opinion amongst actual Nigerian football fans is that any such ban is a minor setback to rid the NFF of the scum running it.

To them paying a World class manager over £millions just to sack him is seen as a bigger madness which i can actually empathise with.

The discussions are based not on whether it was the right thing to do (universally agree its right) but whether Goodluck will stand his ground and take any Fifa ban on the chin or whether he will back down.

Goodluck missed a trick to avoid a ban, he could have just withdrawn government funding from the NFF. Also charge them for use of stadiums for home matches as they all belong to the government at different levels and the club owned ones arent good enough.

The NFF dont make a penny of their own and wont be able to honour any international games with FIFA maybe helping them out for a bit before they will be forced to fold.

Deary me,

I can see a much lengthier ban from FIFA however because their stance on political influence is zero. They've already threatened France this week with expulsion of future World Cups due to possible political influence in football over there.

Chile got banned from two tournaments IIRC after Rojas pretended a flare thrown from the crowd hit him, the game (vs Brazil, which they were losing) was abandoned and it was later discovered (hello, TV replays) that Rojas was just acting.

Seems quite harsh when you think about it now.

Maybe DJ you'd like to demonstrate how the particles of flame from the flare may have in fact actually hit Rojas and it was in fact a legit injury, eh? ;)

Will you stop sulking already? :D

Still can't get over that name :D

You should see some of the names Nigerian scammers use. All sorts of virtues. Goodluck has really become common since he became president, especially amongst "barristers".

Great name :cool:

He will sort out this mess. I hope. The NFF have been an embarrassment for decades. I just hope they give Siasia a chance to manage the national team. I dont subscribe to the whole foreign coach for the national team idea.(atleast not since westerhof and bonfere jo)

Exactly what's been going on in Croatia.

Fixed.

Yes, could be said about CBF (the Brazilian FA) as well, despite the national team success (which is more due to the players than to CBF).

Anyway, I hope Nigeria sort out their FA problems, a strong Nigerian national team and a strong Nigerian league would only be good for football. :thup:

You say that until they actually sort their problems and start buying too many Brazilian players for their league and national team :p

That wouldn't be sorting out the problems though, that would be almost like cheating. :D

I meant by improving youth development, with the population they have, and the fact that population is younger and probably more football-mad than the Brazilian one, they have a lot of potential to have both a strong league and a strong national team.

That wouldn't be sorting out the problems though, that would be almost like cheating. :D

I meant by improving youth development, with the population they have, and the fact that population is younger and probably more football-mad than the Brazilian one, they have a lot of potential to have both a strong league and a strong national team.

Spot on there mate. Its annoying to see Ghana turning their youth teams into good senior teams while the quota system and corruption destroy the Eagles despite a comparable youth level record.

140 million football mad Nigerians with every corner and green patch full of kids playing football. Also with a strong league they can give chances to all the dribblers and creative players they create. (Its amazing that at youth level they create more flair players than bruisers who all vanish).

The main reason is that the foreign clubs come to Africa looking for big, strong athletic types and all the flair guys disappear into oblivion.

With a restructured league and national team they can harness all those guys again. The country has over 16 stadiums with 20000 and above capacity (FM researcher needs shooting :D) and most clubs have their own grounds but the league is just too badly run.

Archived