FM11: Luton Town Thread

hjfh

The Luton Town Thread 10/11

dannycrow.jpg

2010 marks Luton Town's 125th Birthday, pink and blue were the original club colours

Information

Founded: 1885

Chariman Status: Loves the club

Legends: Mick Harford

Icons: Brian Stein, Ricky Hill, David Pleat

Favoured Personnel: Steve Foster, Kevin Nicholls, Keith Keane, George Pilkington

Fierce Rivals: Watford

Other Rivals: QPR, Stevenage, MK Dons

Finances: Okay

Average ticket price: £16

Average season ticket price: £325

Season ticket holders: 4000

Estimated value: £1.1 Milllion

Minimum expectation: Win the Blue Square Premier

Transfer budget: £0

imagescap4ov04.jpg

Kenilworth Road

imagesca7naaxr.jpg

Ex captain Kevin Nicholls holding the Johnstone's Paint Trophy which Luton won in 08/09

Squad analysis

Goalkeepers

Mark Tyler - A great first choice keeper, arguably the best in the division.

Kevin Pilkington - Adequete back up but getting on, you might want to replace him.

Defenders

Ed Asafu-Adjaye - Best right back at the club and can also play centre back. Good at tackling and marking.

Shane Blackett - A pacey centre back who can also play on the left.

Zdnek Kroca - 6 foot 5 centre back who is brilliant in the air, a danger from set pieces.

Fred Murray - The club's best left back, good at getting foward.

George Pilkington - Club captain and the best defender at the club, will attract interest from teams in higher leagues.

Dan Gleeson - Decent back up for right back.

Taylor Nathanial - Promising young left sided defender/winger.

imagesca35zq2p.jpg

Fan favourite Keith Keane

Midfielders

Claude Gnakpa - Strong and quick right winger, good in the air.

Keith Keane - Fan favourite and vice captain. He is strongest playing as a defensive midfielder but can play right back and even centre back if need be.

Jake Howells - Best left sided player at the club.

Godfrey Poku - Promising defensive midfielder, good at winning the ball.

Adam Newton - Pacey right winger.

Andy Drury - The club's best attacking midfielder, can play all across midfield.

Jonathan O'Donnell - Promising left winger.

Adam Watkins - Young attacking midfielder.

Strikers

Amari Morgan-Smith - Quick striker/winger.

Danny Crow - Best striker at the club. Good finisher.

Matthew Barnes-Homer - Quick striker, good at dribbling and finishing.

Taiwo Atieno - Kenyan international, strong and good in the air.

Dan Walker - Promising ex Bedford Town striker.

Kevin Gallen - Good technically but slow and old.

Where to strengthen?

The squad is strong with a lot of depth. However you could do with a better left back than Freddie Murray and another striker to partner Danny Crow. You may also want an extra central midfield player.

Youth Team

There are several talented players in the youth team, Jordan Patrick is the most promising.

Staff

Manager - Richard Money

Assistant Manager - Gary Brabin

1st team coach - Alan Neilson

Youth coach - Martin Prickett

Youth coach - Gregg Broughton

GK coach - Dmitry Kharin

Reccomended XI

Tyler

Asafu Adjaye-Pilkington-Kroca-Murray

Gnakpa-Drury-Keane-Howells

Barnes Homer-Crow

Possible signings

?

Why be Luton Town?

Getting the club out of the Conference and back up the divisions is a great challenge. Being the biggest club in the division means you'll be able to sign players the other clubs can't.

Oh dear Pavel Besta appears to be absent. Was looking forward to having him in the team. :confused:

Other than Besta's absence its a great squad and like you say doesn't need too much tinkering. How does Brabin rate as an Assistant as a lot of times I prefer to find my own backroom staff if wages allows me?

Just signed Armann Smari Bjornsson from Hartlepool on a free transfer to play up top with Danny Crow.

Also signed Laurence Wilson from Morecambe and got in a argument with JJ O'Donnell after he got sent and he now want to leave he also had a good pre season so it might be a bad decision

Oh dear Pavel Besta appears to be absent. Was looking forward to having him in the team. :confused:

Other than Besta's absence its a great squad and like you say doesn't need too much tinkering.

Just started a save with the Demo (downloaded, not through steam) and have noticed that Besta is is in the team.

• 2 weeks later...

I've played 8 matches so far. 5 wins, 2 draws and a loss - 3rd in the league 2 points from top so not a bad start.

Danny Crow and Andy Drury have both been brilliant, Crow's got 10 goals already and Drury has the leagues highest average rating. Unfortunatly Drury broke his foot last match so is going to be injured for 6 months :(

I've signed the following:

Piero Mingoia - AMR - Loan - Watford

Paul McVeigh - AMR/L - Free Transfer

Wesley Ngo Behang - ST - Free Transfer

Armann Smari Bjornsson - ST - Loan - Hartlepool

Oliver Norwood - MC - Loan - Man Utd

Chris Hussey - DL - Loan - Coventry

Paco Sanchez - AMC/R - Free Transfer (I really recommend signing him, expensive wages but very good player)

Only player i've got rid of so far is Matthew Barnes-Homer, so with the new signings i'm slightly over the wage budget, though i've listed Gleeson and Gallen so should be able to get it down.

November time, top of the league :D

Screenie of team below:

luton.png

Doing well, scoring loads, only problem is my defence. However, It's not the centre back's, it's more my tactics, so will have to have a re-think of that. Luckily I'm scoring loads so that's keeping the wins. Just now playing the "Attack is best defence" method which had caused a winning streak.

I'm in January now as well. 3rd in the league, played 26 with 53 points. Newport are top with 57 points but have played an extra game.

I've signed a young Irish striker called Sean Houstan from U.C.D who's got me a few goals and i've also just signed French winger Gregory Carmona on a free. I've released Dan Gleeson but i'm having no luck selling Gallen and Newton.

Just started a new save with Luton and am only 5 games in. I found getting rid of players a nightmare for any money so just released a lot of them for free and have replaced them with free transfers, as for staff all have been relaced and so now i am hoping for the team to gell quickly. Things went ok through Pre-season but not great, and so far have in the league have P5 W4 D1 L0 F8 A0 and am 2nd in the league on goal difference to Rushden.

I've just finished the first season. Won the league with 97 points :)

Zdnek Kroca was my best performer through the season with and averge rating of 7.24. Oliver Norwood, on loan from Man Utd, was excellent throughout as well scoring 11 goals from midfield, his contract is up so i'm hoping to sign him for next season. Danny Crow was top scorer with 21 goals.

I'll try and get some screenshots up later if I can work out how!

• SI Staff

Won promotion via the play off's beating Grimsby 4-3 on penalties after a 2-2 draw in the play off final, never really managed to get on a good enough run during the season to win the league and very few players performed to their full ability entire season (Kroca a rare exception)

Built my team for second season now, board expect play offs and have given me a 10k per week rise on wage budget which i've used to near rebuild the team. Squad now looks like:

GK: Mike Pollitt

DL: Sylvinho (from the likes of Barca to Kenilworth road !)

DC: Corry Evans (loan from Man United)

DC: Zdenek Kroca

DR: Isaac Osbourne

ML: Alan Quinn

DMC: Lee Carsley ©

AMC: James Wallace

MR: Davide Somma

ST: Rory Fallon

ST: Andras Simon (loan from Liverpool)

SUBS

Keith Keane

Andy Drury

Claude Gnakpa

George Pilkington

Josh Morris

Nethan Sansara

Rhys Murhpy (loan from Arsenal)

I'm at the end of October in the second season now. The board only expect a top half finish but i'm 3rd with 26 points. I got off to a bad start losing the first 3 games of the season but have been unbeaten since, that run including a 3-0 victory in the JPT against Plymouth who are top of League 1 :)

These are my transfers for this season

11transfers.png

The fans aren't too happy that I let Gnakpa go but he's not good enough for the wages he was on.

My current best line up is

Darlow

Asafu-Adjaye Kroca Potter Hussey

Carmona Norwood Keane Drury

Hume Ngo-Baheng

I could probably do with a better right back but Ed AA has been playing well for me. Kroca has again been my best player and is also my top scorer with 5 goals so far!

Just started playing my game now. First things first, I always look to bring my own backroom staff in but had a major problem because the staff I wanted were asking just over the maximum I'm allowed to spend in that staffing position. So I went to the Board to ask for more funds to be released for wages thinking that would allow me to bring in the staff I wanted. It was rejected to start with but when I said I really needed the funds they gave me an extra £4k in wages per week.

I have managed to find myself a decent Assistant Manager in Steve Gritt, and now find myself with around £5k to play with on the wages front so should be able to bring in another left back, centre midfielder and striker. I've released Gallen on a free that went down well with the supporters.

I will be uploading every goal I score (within reason) to my Youtube account so if there are some spectacular goals scored, and there should be, I'll attach the link. Infact both Crow and Poku scored brilliant goals against the Luton Reserves.

Danny Crow 23rd Minute strike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq9TdHeWBJQ

Godfrey Poku 47th Minute Strike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tw3IJChFgM

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, just started a game as Luton. Signed a young centre back called Kim Won-Sik on a free. He used to play for Reading. Arsenal and Roma both offered him contracts and he agreed to sign for Roma but the deal fell through so I offered him another contract straight away. He signed for £1200 per week and value went to £250k, has been playing really well for me and looks a real prospect. Just thought I would give anyone starting a new game a heads up to try and grab him quick.

http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc419/Handjobbob/

I'm quite surprised you were able to get a work permit for him, or was that not even an issue? Either way looks a good signing.

Hey, got the permit straight away. Like I said he used to play for Reading so guessing that made it easier. Cant remember if he has dual nationality but will check later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started a Luton save recently.

Won the conference first season. Lost league one play off's in second season. Won league one in third season.

Im currently 14th in league 2 in April.

Im having trouble with finances. We have no money and no transfer budget. I'm managing to keep wages under control, Just!.

All I can do is try get freebies and decent loans, it's no way to run a club that wants sucess.

The health and safety guys keep shutting sections of the ground.

The club wont upgrade the training ground or the stadium.

I'm not confident that the club can survive/progress unless some serious investment is secured.

(They just sold my GK in febuary for 120k against my wishes...... Idiots...... I can't replace him ;( )

Has anyone had a take over or some large investment in a Luton save?

EDIT.... Has anyone else had problems with injuries? They seem to be much worse in the lower league's. When I lose a player, its not for a week or so, it's for months. Currently I have 4 long term injuries.

At the start of season 4 in league one, I managed to get a very good striker, aged 30, on a free.

He gets a sports hernia two days after signing in pre season and is out for 3 months.

He returns to full training and the very same day he breaks an ankle in training and is out for 6 months. I mean c'mon!!! The guy has not completed more than 3 training sessions, let alone a match. Im not ashamed to admit that I reverted to a previous save and lost almost two months of my game.... It's the first time Ive reverted to a previous save since I got FM11.

The injuries are very frustrating.

What a disaster this club is ;)

We come to the end of season four and I meet the clubs objective of avoiding relegation from League1.

Ive had a wage budget of about 65k and Ive been spending most of it.

I'm unable to renew a lot of contratcs but no probs, I'll wait till the new seasons budget comes along.

Season 5 begins with the news that I must gain a top half finish with zero transfer funds and 55k in wage budget...... Less wages than last year??? OMG.

I can't renew the expiring contracts even after the board agree to bump the wages to 65k because the squad is now being paid over 70k due to annual wage rises.

I therefore lose a few players on free's. One of them especially is very disapointing and the board have the cheek to tell me it's a bad bit of buisness to let him go.

The next piece of cheery news is that the East Stand has finally been completely shut and now the Health and safety chaps are shutting down sections of the West stand. At this rate, we'll be playing on the local park by next season.

I cannot sign any players even on free's cos I dont have the wages. I cant afford to sell any of the squad cos it's weak enough as it is.

All my loan targets tell me "No way am I joining your club on loan" but 80% of them will sign if I cough up the 6 mil in transfer fee's .... Sigh!!

Now what do I do??? I'm thinking of making a few outrageous demands on the board and see if they'll end my nightmare ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Started a new game with Luton and it's good to see they already have two ludicrously good centre-backs in Pilkington and Kroca (who has 12 goals in 25, all scored from corners). Signings like Febien Brandy, Chris James, Ismael Fofana and loanees Oliver Norwood, Alex MacDonald, Dominic Knowles and Joseph Mills have made it an easy first season. Currently 19 points clear at the top with 27 played.

That said, it's January now and suddenly we'd signed 3 new signings that, unbeknownst to me, had been confirmed before I joined. Three players that aren't good enough for my team, add a good 2.5k or so to the wage budget and cost the club £180 grand! Ridiculous. The finances aren't looking very healthy now and they've gone straight into the reserves.. not pleased.

Won the league with 126 points and the FA Trophy. Finances were troubled until we got to Wembley, that and the promotion have put me about £1 million in the black as I near the start of the next season. Managed to retain some of my best players on loan or on frees (Norwood, Joseph Mills, Dominic Knowles, etc). One of the favourites for back-to-back promotion and I'm pretty confident.

It's a shame not many people seem to want to be Luton, they've got bags of potential. I'm in 2015 now, here's a run-down of my career so far:

---

2010/11

Blue Square Premiership: 1st - (W41, D3, L2, GD+114, P126)

FA Trophy: Winner

Top Goalscorer: Febian Brandy (46)

Fans Player of the Year: Febian Brandy

2011/12

League 2: 1st - (W34, D6, L6, GD+76, P108)

Johnstone's Paint Trophy: 1st Round

League Cup: 2nd Round

FA Cup: 2nd Round

Top Goalscorer: Dominic Knowles: (42)

Fans Player of the Year: Kamel Larby

2012/13

League 1: 1st - (W28, D12, L6, GD+49, P96)

Johnstone's Paint Trophy: Winner

League Cup: 1st Round

FA Cup: 3rd Round

Top Goalscorer: Patrick Fosgaard (24)

Fan's Player of the Year: Kamel Larby

2013/14

Championship: 9th - (W22, D8, L16, GD+9, P74)

League Cup: 2nd Round

FA Cup: 5th Round

Top Goalscorer: Patrick Fosgaard (25)

Fan's Player of the Year: Sean Scannell

2014/15

Championship: 3rd (Playoff Winners) - (W27, D6, L13, GD+27, P87)

League Cup: Quarter Final

FA Cup: 3rd Round

Top Goalscorer: Sean Scannell (18)

Fan's Player of the Year: Sean Scannell

---

Key signings:

Fabien Brandy - Striker, scored 73 in 93 (BSP and Leaue 2), had to sell him in League 1 for 300k after his wage demands were too high. Signed on a free.

Dominic Knowles - Striker, scored 68 in 86 (BSP and Leaue 2), on loan from Burnley.

Alex MacDonald - Striker, scored 34 in 45 (BSP), on loan from Burnley.

Kamel Larbi - Right Winger, scored 42 in 170 appearances, consistent from League 2 up to the Championship, backup in the Premiership. Signed for 16k from Aurillac Foot.

Ismael Fofana - Left Winger, scored 37 in 184 appearances, consistent from BSP up the Championship, released in the Premiership. Signed on a free.

Jerel Ifil - Centre Back, consistent from League 2 up to the Championship, sold for 275k because of poor disciplinary record in Championship. Signed on a free from Aberdeen.

Sean Scannell - Striker / Right Winger, 38 goals in 91 games, most consistent striker in both Championship seasons, signed on a free from Crystal Palace.

Patrick Fosgaard - Striker, scored 73 in 133 appearances, regen on loan from Arsenal.

Sherif Said - Centre Back, 60 appearances so far for the club, consistent performer, regen.

At my current point I am a few games into my first Premiership season, and have signed Ben Foster (£1.9 million), Jack Wilshere, Joaquin, Jermain Defore and Kevin (all free), as well as a couple of regens.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a great Luton save at the moment, just playing it until the new patch but may start another Luton save on new patch.

About 8 points clear in early December. Some great players have joined, probably the best is Paul Wotton. Really enjoyable save.

Erm, just England down to Blue Square Premier, Scotland, Italy and Spain top divisions.

Really enjoying the save. Annoying thing though, pre-arranged transfers. Have ended up with two players no where near good enough for my team on quite a high wage.

Erm, just England down to Blue Square Premier, Scotland, Italy and Spain top divisions.

Really enjoying the save. Annoying thing though, pre-arranged transfers. Have ended up with two players no where near good enough for my team on quite a high wage.

Was very annoyed when this happened to me.

On another note, please tell me you guys have signed Fabien Brandy and Ismael Fofana? :p

No, I didn't bother getting them players.

Lawless is actually quite a good player though.

My 4000th post btw!!!!!

But.. but.. Brandy is so good! My friend has him for Gillingham and he's still a decent striker even now that he's in the Premiership.

I don't imagine Brandy being easy to sign in the first season, there is next to no wiggle room on the wage budget unless you sold a few players and I imagine his demands are pretty high. He usually ends up at Scunthorpe on my games so you'd be doing well to get him at the mighty Hatters.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Started with Luton. Couldn't sell anyone so had to release a few to free up some cash for wages. Brought in Brandy, Chris Rodd, Mardare (beat of some much bigger clubs than Luton to his signature) Chris James and Tillen. Have been about 5k a week over my wage budget all season but I have walked the league and won the Fa Trophy.

Just completed my first season, really enjoying it. Getting alot of interest in Brandy, Mardare and James but hopeful I can keep hold of them. Looking forward to seeing what wheeling and dealing I can do in the summer. Follow me on twitter for updates on my achievements (@jambojambo83) but I will try to update on here if I get chance.

• 1 month later...

I'm in November of the 2nd season.

Season 1 ins:

Ignasi Miquel (Loan)

Luc Matutu (Free)

Pablo Richetti (Free)

Bob Malcolm (Free)

Alain N'Kong (Free)

Fabian Brandy (Free)

-------------Tyler----------------

Keane---Miquel---Kroca----Matutu

------------Malcolm--------------

Richetti-------------------Howells

-------------N'Kong--------------

---Barnes-Homer--Brandy---------

I won the league, FA Trophy Semifinals

Season 2(July-November)

Ins: Kevin Long (Loan from Burnley)

Matthew Godden (180k, Scunthorpe)

Jakub Jesionkowski (160k, I forgot)

Ignasi Miquel (Loan, Arsenal)

Ravel Morrison (3 Month loan, Manchester Utd.)

----------Jesionkowski-----------

Gnakpa--Long----Miquel---Matutu

------------Keane---------------

Richetti-------------------Howells

------------N'Kong--------------

-------Brandy---Godden---------

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

been luton for a long time. well im in november 2017. first post by the way so go easy on me

SEASON 1, won the league with 126 points and didnt lose a game, scoring 99 goals (damn!) and conceding a huge 16! won the fa trophy and reached fa cup round 3 where i got edged out by the franchise team from milton keynes

SEASON 2, won league 2 again getting over 100 points and did score over 100 goals this time. reached fa cup 3rd round where i lost 2-0 to liverpool and the jp trophy final where i lost 1-0 to derby

SEASON 3, won league 1 but it was a lot closer and it took me until 2 games to go to get promoted. reached fa cup 5th round where i lost 2-0 to chelsea but won the jp trophy this time :)

SEASON 4, had a huge overhaul of the squad which worked a treat as after a slow start i cruised the championship and was promoted with 6 games to go. beat man utd at old trafford 1-0 in fa cup round 5 before i lost to arsenal in the 6th round replay. low point was losing to wolves in the league cup 2nd round 5-1.

SEASON 5, another huge overhaul as i got 20m for reaching the promised land. another slow start and i was 12th at half way. a much improved 2nd half to the season saw me scrape 7th on the last day by beating villa who were there before i beat them. fa cup quarters for me again where man city beat me.

SEASON 6, some for new faces and more improvement. came 5th in the league despite reaching 76 points. reached the fa cup semis where chelsea beat me. in the euro cup i reached the final thanks to a 4-1 away win in the semis against bayern before i lost in extra time to leverkusen at the last hurdle.

SEASON 7, spent big in this campaign and it paid dividends. 4th at half way, 7 points behind liverpool, i won 17 of my last 19 games to seal the title on the last day at home to spurs. not so good in the cups though as i only reached round 5 of the fa cup and last 32 of the euro cup.

SEASON 8, in november and 2nd behind man utd who just beat everybody at the moment. do look good though in europe where i beat real madrid away in the group and need just 1 more point i the last 2 games to reach the last 16.

MY KEY PLAYERS THROUGHOUT THE SAVE

George Pilkington, very solid cb and good in the air at set pieces. played for me in the first 3 seasons. released as i didnt think he would cut it in the championship at 32

Keith Keane, hard working midfielder. makes bsp and league 2 look easy

Robbie Wilmott, starts at luton on the 3rd patch. gets plenty of assists and goals on the right of midfield. i sadly underplayed him but knew he would do something if i played him.

Benedict Akweugbu, aged 36 but a powerhouse at BSP level. scored 34 goals in the league and made it look very easy.

Donal Mcdermott, signed in january when i was in the BSP. had a slow start but ripped up league 2 and league 1. i was delighted to sign him and on a free even better :)

Andre Wisdom, joined me on loan for the league 2 and league 1 seasons. then joined on a free and is still a 1st choice even in season 8 and gets england caps.

Oliver Norwood, another freebie when i got into league 2. he wasnt great to start with but in the 2nd half of the league 1 season he went on a run of amazing form. sadly this saw him join leeds for £1m when they met his minimum release clause.

Jan Sebek, free from chelsea and my 1st choice keeper for 2 seasons. makes the odd mistake but also makes plenty of good saves.

Darryl Duffy, picked up on a free from bristol rovers. a good scorer in league 1 worth easily 20 goals a season.

David Goodwillie, cost me 1.5m from sunderland when i reached the premier league. not the best player but knows how to score.

Neto, Brazilian goalkeeper. One of the best keepers i have ever had. Cost me 8m but hes worth every penny. he is also now the brazil 1st choice keeper which tells you enough

also signed plenty of regens as i look to the future

• 3 weeks later...

I hope I don't need to wait that long for a tycoon takeover lol.

I have around 7 games left in the 2016/2017 season in the premiership sitting in 7th place. 5th place is my target as there is only a point difference between me and Chelsea who are in 5th.

Will upload a screenshot of the final league table once I've finished the season and the signings I made :)

Archived