FM11: Portsmouth FC Thread: No Money, No Players.. But We're Still Fighting!

Ty

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
npowerchampionshipinfora.png

60% of goals conceded = set peices

20% of goals conceded = crosses

10% of goals conceded = from open play

First Season over. Took me a few games to get my tactics down, but now I'm playing like Germany did at the world cup, which is great :p Almost got bought over but board didnt allow it :( Not looking forward to trying to stay up.

Just seen my transfer budget, which is alot better then 0 lol, £15m to try and stay up is alright i suppose

try seting the corner defence to:

one player on each post (both Fullbacks)

2 players mark tall player (DC's)

2 player on man mark

2 players on back

1 on close down corner

1 forward

not as bulletproof as my setups was on the demo or fm10, but since the 11,1,1 patch pretty much nulified my former set up, I had to come up with something new

Once again thanks for providing an inspirational thread. I Played a great Portsmouth save in FM10, and reading the opening post (Fantastic) certainly highlight a FM challenge not seen in a few years.

Game Aim's

Season 1 - Promotion at First attempt

Season 2 - Avoid relegation, looking for 15th or higher.

Season 3 - inside top 10

Season 4 - Euro qualifier

Transfer Policy -

+ A strong focus on youth with minimum requirements of already being capped at under age level. Preference for home grown talents within the UK/Irish region.

+ If signing outside the above must be capped at National level prior to signing and under the age of 25.

+ Wage demands will require to fit under self imposed salary cap of $500K if competing outside of a European Qualifier, and under $700K if playing in a European competition.

+ A Key player salary will be maxed at $50K if demands reach more, will be subjected to a transfer. The squad will have no more than 4 Key players at anyone time.

Season 1 Overview 2010/2011

Formation -

As per previous posters, I have started with a flat 442, which let me get a solid start with 7 wins, 2 draws and a loss inside the first 10 games. We then took another 3 losses on the trot before a good correction of 3 wins a draw and another wins on wee little run.

GK - Ashdown

DR - Mullins

DC - Mokeona

DC - Rocha

DL - Dickerson

MR - Lawarence

MC - Brown

MC - Hughes

ML - Ritche

FC - Nugent

FC - Utaka

I found Kitson to slow and just wasnt good enough imo, Kanu was very useful coming off the bench and chipped in or assisted to be of use.

The second half of the season I changed to a 433 -

GK - Ashdown

DR - Ben-Haim

DC - Davenport

DC - Mokeona

DL - Hreidarsson

DMC - Hughes

MC - Dos Santos

MC - Brown

AMR - Lawarence

AML - Utaka

FC - Nugent

Davenport & Dos Santos were both signed on frees, Dos Santos already being capped and Davenport was signed outside the current transfer policy.

Season 2 - 2011/2012

Season set to avoid relegation, $400K wage budget, $14M transfer funds.

Transfers Out -

Hreidarsson - Free

Webber - Free

Pack - Free

Martin - Free

Kilbey - Free

Ben-Haim - $1.5M - Torino

Ciftci - Free

Total - $1.5M

Transfers In -

Mista (FC) - Free

Alex Smithies (GK) - $1.5M

Joe Mattock (DL) - $2M

Michael Woods - (MC) - Free

Stephen Kelly (DR) - $1.3M

Jacob Mellis (MC) - $150K

Connor Wickham (FC) - $3M

Alex Chamberlain (AMR/L) $275K

Tomasz Sokolowski (DMC) $1.5M

Paul Robinson (DL) - Free

Total $9.75M

Finished my first season at last and it ended with a bit of a let down.

I finished 8th just 2 points of 6th but drew 4 out of my last 6 games while Derby who finished 6th were losing too many and I never capitalised. During January I got offered a load of decent player in the Premier and 1 was willing to make the drop to the Championship. None other than Jamie O'Hara came back to Fratton Park for the measily sum of £5k. Spurs wanted £0 but I felt I had to give them something. :D He played really well with Henry Lansbury in the Centre of Midfield.

My top scorers were:

Utaka 18

Kitson 17

Lawrence 11

Utaka got the fans player of the year award.

During May I had a takeover going through which meant that on 30th May when it is a month before contracts end I wasn't able to look at any potential new players due to the embargo. However once it was gone I was given a transfer budget of £2.5m and wages of £300k. As I had reduced wages down to £275k it wasn't too bad as well as the fact that only left back was where I needed to improve. For that I have got Pascal Chimbonda joining for free. I also have a young regen Left Winger from Bournemouth joining. I have also had a really good looking regeb come through for the left back position so things looking up. As I had such a strong run in(even with the draws that felled me) I feel that the majority of the squad will do me well and promotion contenders is a good chance.

My current starting XI

GK Danek or M'Bolhi

DL Hreidarsson (to be probably replaced with Chimbomba)

DC Rocha

DC Ben Haim

DR Corzo

DMC Mokoena

MC O'Hara

MC TBD (was Lansbury but he is back at Arsenal) Probably Ljungberg

AML Lawrence

AMR Utaka

SC Kitson or Nugent

Thanks Tyoldinho -

First season we finished 5th and played a brilliant play play off game against Swansea, which went to penalties, A 1 nil home set up for a nail biting return fixture. Swansea equalised the tie within the first 30 minutes, and scored again after the break. It wasnt until the 65th minute until our we found the back of the nett and tied away the fixture. After extra time, it went to penalties, and Swansea missing their first and us missing the second, Ashdown saved Swanseas third attempt, and Captian Mokeona made our last attempt.

Play off Final against Leicester a week later saw us clinch promotion with a strong 3 nil win and 2 goals from Nugent and a single from Davenport.

Season 2 2011/2012

As from my opening post above the transfers were to add some depth to our first team squad, but also to bring a core of younger players to start developing a new first team over the next 2-3 season. The likes of our squad, Brown, Hughes, Mokena, Rocha, Mullins are all ageing, but will however remain the core of the side for at least the next season. Letting Ben-Haim go for $1.5M Free up $40K in wages, with now only Utaka salary is the highest at $49K, the fans feedback on Ben-Haim was very supportive.

Under 21 Development Players -

Sam Magri (Portsmouth) - 17yr old Centre Back, 4 stars - looks impressive and youngest ever Portsmouth player to make senioer debut.

Alex Chamblerlian (Southampton) -18yr Winger left & right, 4 stars, signed from rival at a bargin of $275K.

Chinedu Vine - (Portsmouth) - 17 yr old Striker, 4.5 stars, already scored in senior football, will feature in cup ties this season.

Ryan Williams - (Portsmouth) - 17 yr old winger, 4 stars - already with killer pace, looks like to be set as a threathen winger.

Connor Wickham (Ipswich) - 18 yr old forward, 4.5 stars, our most expensive signing thus far, relates our commitment to youth talent.

Michael Woods (Free) - 21 yr old, 3 stars, central midfielder who at most will be a good squad player, being under study to hughes, mullins and Brown.

Jacob Mellies (Chelsea) -20 yr old, 3.5 stars, central midfielder who possibly could fight for a first team place in the second half of the season.

Alex Smithies (Huddersfield), 21 yr old, 4.5 stars, Keeper, already looking as first choice in front of Ashdown, another astute but at $1.5M

Over the season these are the players development we are looking too, and the following season should see them breaking into the team apart from Smithies who will be starting.

Our First match saw us take on Liverpool at home. Mista scored on debut snatching a well placed shot in the first half. Kuyt had an opportunity to scored from the spot after being brought down by another debut player Mattock, but his shot hit the post. Liverpool challenged for the remainder of the second half, but MOM captain Mokeona controlled the Portsmouth defensive unit very well to enable us to pick a vital 3 points to start our relegation battle. 37 points to go!!

Just finished my 3rd season (1st in the prem) and finished 12th after being predicted 20th.

League Table

englishpremierdivisioni.png

Team

portsmouthportsmouthtac.png

Transfers

portsmouthtransfershist.png

Think I did well considering I thought I might go back down. I would have liked to of done abit better in some games (got beat 6-1 by Burnley). My defence was quite bad for most of the season, might have to get another centre back and 2 new full backs. Think my midfield was the best part of my team, got Defour comming in on a free transfer and I'm monitoring Lassana Diarra's contract (yet to agree a new deal and more than likley going to leave on a free). Need another left winger as Ben Arfa gets tired easily and I have no alternative. Anelka and Wickham did ok but didn't really set the league alight, going to have to get a new striker as Wickham has gone back to Chelsea, Dzeko's contract is running out but I don't think I'll be able to get him even if he does leave on a free. I got manager of the year which I was suprised at because I finished 12th. On a side note when I got Gago - I forgot the registration window was closed so I didnt get to play him so he'll sort of be a new signing next season.

Lewis Percival (Regen)

lewispercivalprofileatt.png

He came into my youth team at the end of my 2nd season, has been tutored by M. Diarra and now by Jenas. He played 2 games in the FA Cup (Rotherham and Wolves) and played in the prem agaisnt Man United. Think I might keep him in the youth and reserves while play him in some cup games next year and then maybe loan him out.

My midfield is now even better, got Defour, Lassana on free transfers, then got Dzeko and Drogba for free and Micah Richards (free) and Gary Cahill (£8.5m) might have overspent on Cahill but I wanted an English CB and I might be getting Enyeama for 300k

Just started my 4th season, after two consecutive 15th premier finishes. Only signing British players:

GK: Joe Hart, Chris Kirkland, Fraser Forster

DR: Kyle Naughton, Danny Simpson

DL: Matthew Briggs, Joe Garbutt

DC: Steven Taylor, Titus Bramble, Anton Ferdinand, Paul Downing

MR: David Bentley, Shaun Wright-Phillips

ML: Matt Ritchie, Joe Summerfield (Regen)

MC Michael Carrick, Darron Gibson, Matt James, Corry Evans, Jacob Mellis

FC: Conor Wickham, John Utaka, Daniel Sturridge, Dave Nugent

Tried pretty much every tactic I can think of and the team just isn't playing well, 19th after 6 games, just 1 win. Anyone got any suggestions regarding future signings, tactics and maybes who to get rid of? I have 8.5m left to spend and I'm 120k under my wage budget..

Just started my 4th season, after two consecutive 15th premier finishes. Only signing British players:

GK: Joe Hart, Chris Kirkland, Fraser Forster

DR: Kyle Naughton, Danny Simpson

DL: Matthew Briggs, Joe Garbutt

DC: Steven Taylor, Titus Bramble, Anton Ferdinand, Paul Downing

MR: David Bentley, Shaun Wright-Phillips

ML: Matt Ritchie, Joe Summerfield (Regen)

MC Michael Carrick, Darron Gibson, Matt James, Corry Evans, Jacob Mellis

FC: Conor Wickham, John Utaka, Daniel Sturridge, Dave Nugent

Tried pretty much every tactic I can think of and the team just isn't playing well, 19th after 6 games, just 1 win. Anyone got any suggestions regarding future signings, tactics and maybes who to get rid of? I have 8.5m left to spend and I'm 120k under my wage budget..

Im in my second year with Portsmouth after getting promoted and I too started off really poorly, bottom on 0 points after 5 games haha. You really need to be patient, I started to mess around with my tactics, playing with a 4-5-1, and quite attacking, with direct passing and counter attacking. Now, after 10 games, I'm 10th and im going pretty well... well I didnt help much haha but yeh be patient, see what works best with your team and the results should start flying in, good luck.

Just finished my 4th season (2nd in the prem). I finished 11th (was predicted 14th and finished 12th last season). So I'm sorta happy with that as I improved on last season but I think I should have done better with the players I have. I didnt do too well in the cups, going out the Carling Cup in the 4th round to Birmingham and the 3rd round of the FA Cup to Newcastle although I did play my fringe players and 1 regen who has come through my youth team.

League Table

englishpremierdivisioniy.png

I would have finished 10th but in my last game of the season I lost 3-1 to Fulham and Dzeko got sent off, it was like my players went on holiday early. I also suffered big losses agaisnt Man United (4-1), Arsenal (5-1) and Man City (4-1) but overall my defence has improved although I could do with a new left back. Martin Caceres and Gary Cahill were my starting centre backs and were quite impressive, Cahill also getting about 5 or 6 goals. I had Micha Richards and Figueroa at right and left back, Richards was the slighty better of the too but hopeful is better next season but I'm going to replace Figueroa because hes old and my worst defender.

Lassana Diarra was my stand out midfielder which shouldent be a suprise, him and Jenas both chipped in with 4 goals and for the most part were my preffered midfield pairing. On the wings I had Ben Arfa and Albrighton, Ben Arfa didnt score a goal this season but got 7 assists and Albrighton got 5 goals and 5 assists and tbh I could do with replacing both as I'm not sure if they're good enough to be first choice anymore. I also had M. Diarra who came into the first team towards the end replacing Jenas and he never lets me down, I had Gago who was back up all season only playing in Cup matches and a couple of league games towards the end. Defour started at first but didnt perform well enough and tbh I expected more but as it was his first season I'll let him off and he can have next season to prove himself.

Upfront I had Dzeko, Drogba, Anelka and Nugent (on 8k a week now and thats the only reason hes still here because hes cheap and english), Dzeko was my best striker getting 15 goals, he didnt have a good start but towards the end of the season it looks like hes gelled with my team so he should be even better next season. Drogba was the opposite of Dzeko but was my top assister. Anelka and Nugent didnt really do much all season, they were mainly subs when Dzeko and Drogba got tired. I need a new striker next season to partner Dzeko as Drogba cant finish a game due to him getting tired and his poor form. Enyeama was my starting keeper and was one of my best buys, much better than Westwood and Ashdown. He also kept 16 clean sheets.

Stats

portsmouthportsmouthpla.png

Transfers

portsmouthtransfershist.png

Lewis Percival

lewispercivalprofileatt.png

Think I posted a screen shot of him at the end of my last season as well, any way he came through my youth team. Played him in all my cup matches and he has been tutored by M. Diarra, Jenas and Defour and I loaned him to Hull for 3 months so he could have some first team football. He'll more than likely go out on loan next season as well. He did score a goal for me in the Carling Cup which can be seen here

My best players this season were Cahill (and you laughed at me for getting him for £8.5m), Caceres, Lassana Diarra and Dzeko and thats a pretty good spine for my team and I just need to build around those four. Next season I'll be trying to get a left back (both Ashley Cole and Gibbs are out of contract but I dont know if Gibbs is good enough), a striker (No idea, would like an English striker but can't think of a good partner for Dzeko and a right and left winger (was trying to get Adam Johnson and Turan but think they would both be out of my reach).

With a 11.2 patch now out, I am going to start again as Portsmouth, posting regular updates.

Hopefully will encourage the previous posters and new ones to start as Portsmouth :thup:

hopefully i will get in mood to return to my save now with the new patch

and lol first thing i saw when pressing continue on my barca save was a player handing in transfer request....but lets hope it was just something that hapend befor patch was fully in place

Yeah, I didn't want to start with a long term save with Portsmouth, due to the ease of getting stupidly good players at cut down prices and on the free.

Yeah, the patch was released a couple hours ago.

I do recommend starting again with the 11.2, hopefully see you around more often and feel free to update about your game.

Yeah, I didn't want to start with a long term save with Portsmouth, due to the ease of getting stupidly good players at cut down prices and on the free.

not that it was particularly hard to do that on 10,3.....but it was simply out of hand on 11,1 so I spent my time playing Barca focusing on tactics rather then transfers

How exactly does the transfer ban at the start for Portsmouth work? I've started a game with them for the first time in 11.2, and I've noticed that I'm allowed to sign certain players on a free right from the start, yet not others. Just not sure if it's a bug or not that I can sign certain players, as I'd rather observe the ban properly if I'm not supposed to be able to sign anyone at all.

/edit/ Actually, never mind. Randomly clicking around the thread I noticed it's been discussed already. Think I'll observe the ban properly and not bring anyone in until the end of September.

Yeah, basically you can sign free players - but if you are playing legit, you should wait until the embargo finishes.

You are free to play the game however you like, but the more legit - the better it is :D

Started a game with Portsmouth a couple of days ago, playing a pretty weird formation but currently level on points with Burnley at the top but edging it with a fantastic goal difference mainly because of John Utaka, who has 21 league goals already in December!

First team:

--Kitson/Kezman---Utaka---Kanu

---------------------Lawrence

-----------Brown

---------------------Hughes

Dickinson--Mokoena----Rocha---Mullins

--------------------Flahavan

Subs:

DeMerit/Wilson

Hreidarsson

Gregory/Magri

B.Hughes

Ritchie

B.Kalou

Kitson/Kezman

Already agreed to sign Leigh Griffiths in January though which will mean that Kitson will probably leave, he's a good player but for the past couple of months has been on "very poor" morale, which seems to be affecting some of the other players. Hopefully I can get maybe £500k for him which will also clear some wages.

EDIT: Sorry, does anyone know why I can't cancel Sonko's loan? I have Danny Wilson on loan for a few months from my parent club, Liverpool - and i also want to try and use Sam Magri a lot more so Sonko will just be wasted?

Finished my first season as Portsmouth, and it went rather well...

hqqGd.jpg

I also reached the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup (losing to Bolton on penalties) and went out in a replay to Sunderland in the third round of the FA Cup (horrible draw really).

Liam Lawrence was an absoloute hero throughout the season, contributing 10 goals and 21 assists playing from right midfield in a flat 4-4-2. Nugent was also great, contributing 24 goals and 12 assists. My best defender was undoubtably Mokoena, who had the highest average rating in the entire squad, but special mention should also go to Ibrahima Sonko, who despite looking crap stats-wise got 8 goals in 19 starts with an average rating of 7.27.

In terms of disappointments, Utaka, Kanu, Rocha, Ashdown and a signing I made in Gai Assulin were all absoloutely atrocious. I managed to ship Utaka out in January along with his entire £62,000 a week to AC Milan. God knows why they wanted him -- he played exactly one game for them in the rest of the season. I also got rid of Ben Haim without ever playing him, since I wanted his wages off the books (still paying him £10,000 a week though, sadly).

iUHaN.jpg

I felt compelled to sign a keeper in January, as Ashdown is simply appalling and was costing me points on his own. Smithies has been superb since replacing him, and won the Championship YPotM award for February. I also brought in Castro there as Naughton's loan expired and Villa then bought him. He's also been fantastic, and a real bargain at that price. Netinho is a player I've used before and a real solid option on the left (who can also play in the middle or up front). Luis Garcia on the other hand... even worse than Kanu, but he cost almost nothing and only signed until the end of the season.

Of all the loans I brought in, only Jordi Gomez and Kyle Naughton turned out to be any good. Gomez in particular provided something the side was really lacking with a creative midfield presence. I'm seriously considering signing him permanently if I can't afford Charlie Adam. Wigan were relegated, which should help. The rest really contributed very little besides being cover for injuries/tiredness. Hoilett was okay in the few months I had him, and I was going to loan him again until bloody Villa bought him in January too.

As for the many members of the squad who's contract was due to expire at the end of the season, I've decided to renew those of Brown (for 1 year, on £7k a week down from £20k), Hreidarsson (for 1 year on £5k down from £6k), Ricthie (for 4 years on £2.3k up from £800) and Nugent (for 4 years on £25k, down from £30k). The first three I'm okay with as cheap backup, but I'm not sure I made the right decision in keeping Nugent. He was great in the Championship, but I'm not sure how much use he'll be in the Premier League.

All in all it was a good season, but there have been two failed takeovers so far and the club is still several million pounds in debt. I think it's going to be a struggle to avoid coming straight back down with the current squad, and I don't know how much will be available for reinforcements yet. Still, I'm enjoying the game either way.

Finished my first season, finishing 2nd and getting automatic promotion. Been given a transfer budget of around £7.5m and in desperate need of quite a few positions to improve upon!

Squad:

http://img153.imageshack.us/i/portsmouthsquad.png/

Transfers so far:

http://img266.imageshack.us/i/transfersc.png/

I also have Mikael Dorsin joining on a free in January which will cover the LB problem. Ideally I would like a GK, RB, DM, CM and AML. For RB I was thinking Stephen Kelly on loan, CM - Jamie O'Hara (although my board can only offer £20,000 wages which he wants more :/), Ochoa for GK (although his club is not accepting any offers!). Any help on the rest guys?

Just bought the game and after reading the thread for a while I am finally starting a Portsmouth save.

After a bad start to the season and sitting last in the table the embargo was lifted, the loanies came in and turned the form around. Also into the quarter final of league cup after a 3-1 win over Sunderland and a 5-0 away win at Blackpool, next up Fulham at home.

Hope I gain promotion this year as the finances are getting really bad.

• 2 weeks later...

With the job moving bug, I decided to start again with Pompey, as I knew I wouldn't want to leave them.

First thing I did was get rid of most the backroom staff, bought in some new guys including Robert Prosinecki for 600p/w, and Brian Horton as Asst Manager.

No signing with a transfer embargo, which proved hard, in those first few months the likes Perry Ryan, Ellis Martin, Peter Gregory, Magri and Vine bagged a number of appearances, esp with the likes of Brown and Mokoena getting injuries. I went for a simple 4-4-2, didnt have the players to get technical and as I headed till the end of Sept I found myself still in the League Cup and 8th in the Championship.

I came out of my transfer embargo on the 30th Sept and signed a RB called Kirain for free and also Edgar Davids, also on loan I bought in Riise from Fulham, Fahey from Birmingham, Wilson and Pacheo from Liverpool and Fabio from Man Utd.

Kitson had been my top scorer but he got injured for 5 months, Lawrence had the best rating. I lost the first couple of games with the new players, but then hit a run that left me finishing the year 2010 in 5th place, and having defeated Sunderland 2-1 away in the QF of the League Cup, where I faced Burnley in the semi.

I managed to resign Fabio, Wilson and Fahey on loan on the 2nd Jan, Hermin returned from injury, but Utaka was sold to Liverpool for 850k, he didn't want a new contract and I needed to lower the wage bill, esp with TBH returning from his loan spell at West Ham. I also got in Gai Asslin on a free. I lost in the FA Cup third round away to Notts Forest.

I lost the first Semi at home 3-2, I was 2-0 up and then Lawrence missed a pen, from there morale dropped and Burnley thumped in 3 goals, making the return leg hard. I bought in a couple of free transfers on contracts till the end of the season, a spare goalie and forward after Pancheo got injured. Nugent signed a new contract agreeing to take a 10k pay cut. One of the freebies was ex Middlesboro forward Nemeth who signed till the end of June.

Although strong in the league I was still inconsistant, and with 5 games to go I am 5 points behind second place Swansea and sitting in 4th place. Kitson thankfully is due to return.

Will I go up, well if I do or not I shall be playing in Europe. I managed to beat Burnley 2-0 at Turf Moor, scoring the winner in the 120th minute. In the final I met Man City and dominated the game, Kanu inspired in his new role of player coach, and won 2-0, a massive shock to the football world.

Bigger shocks were to come, in Feb it was annouced that local businessmen were looking to buy the club, then weeks later a new report said the takeover maybe in trouble as another party had become interested, a week later the local guys had been gazumped and the club was bought by a Croatian Tycoon, who has promised me 100mill for next season on players. Great as at the moment I am due to have a squad of about 8, with the loans and guys out of contract leaving. My new Chairmen has also started work or the Youth and Training facilites, and stadium as well, cleared the debts and put 40 mill in the account.

Now i've got to get up to the Premiership, will be it be by the top two or by the play offs. The big time has returned to Fratton park.

Tycoon can either make the game great fun.. or take all the fun away. It all depends on personal preference.

I would honestly prefer an average chairmen who pumps in £10-20m a season in the Premiership.

--

Haven't posted in here myself due to uninstalling FM off my system in boredom of it. 11.2 had a few niggly and annoying bugs in it, that didn't leave me wanting to play it :(

• 3 weeks later...

Mid way through Feb with my save, came back to FM after a break, top of the table by 5 points in first season

Through to Quarter final of FA cup, beat Reading 5-3 with Utaka scoring all 5!!! 27 goals for him already this season and 13 for Nugent!

Archived