[FM11] Way of the Dragon

Raware

HappyValley.png

Happy Valley

Season 2014/15 : Review

Hong Kong First Division/Hong Kong First Division progress/Hong Kong First Division fixtures : Thanks to our great start to the season, this left us in a position in which we were almost guaranteed to achieve the boards expectation of a respectable league position. With us knowing that, my only aim was for us to maintain our form and push for a top 4 finish and thankfully we managed that. I wasn’t even thinking of us trying to retain our title as I think we massively over achieved last season; besides, South China were far too strong for everybody in the league and that showed as they finished 8 points clear of us. Now we’ve shown that we can mix it with the top teams in the league though, maybe next year we can look at more of a title challenge.

Hong Kong Senior Shield : We were out to defend the cup this year but failed as we lost to a strong Kitchee side in the Semi’s. Still, we achieved the boards expectation so I’m happy.

Hong Kong League Cup/Hong Kong League Cup Group Stage : We drew a tricky group as we were placed with Sun Hei but we managed to progress out of the group stage to go on and claim the cup thanks to 3-2 win in extra time over Tai Chung :D.

Hong Kong FA Cup : It was a repeat of last season as we lost 1-0 to South China in the final after taking them to extra time.

Asian Confederation Cup/Asian Confederation Cup Group Stage : We qualified for the ACC for the second successive year and for the second successive year managed to qualify from the group stage. However, we were sent crashing out on penalties to Jodan’s Al-Wehdat after a closely fought 0-0 draw.

Transfers : Only a few players came our way this season; it was more of a case of players leaving us as 14 players left. Those that came in though were Xu Deshuai from Citizen on a free, Liu Qisheng from Tai Chung for £6k and perhaps my most pleasing signing, young Japanese player Hideaki Nagatomi on a free from Niigata Unicorn who looks like he could be a great player for us!

Squad : It was more or less the same squad as last season, except for the few additions we made just to freshen up the squad. I’m delighted with how they performed again especially Wang Xuanhong and Kang Hyo who between them netted 31 goals. However, our back line is growing older by the year and I may have to look at replacements sooner rather than later.

Finances : The finances are slowly creeping up but we still don’t have enough to generate the kind of money I think we need if we want to consistently make a title challenge.

Career Summary

Season   Team              League          		    Position   Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/12  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           7th      -
2012/13  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           7th      -
2013/14  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      League Champions, Senior Shield winners, FA Cup runners up
2014/15  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           2nd      League runners up, League Cup winners, FA Cup runners up

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A great couple of seasons there Raware. I know how tough it is to compete with South China so that league title was a fantastic achievement. :)

Thanks DodgeeD. I know; South China are just too strong for everyone. I just hope that league title wasn't a fluke and we can manage another few! :D.

Cheers guys.

that road thing outside the stadium looks class

I think it's just a road with a spiralling bridge over it. It's one of the few HK stadiums I haven't been to.

Nice season Raware. Nagatomi's stats look really good! :)

Thanks rancer, from what my scout/ass man says, he's a leading First Division player and from what i've seen from him so far he looks quality.

You've progressed nicely Raware.

Thanks Nobby. I'm surprised at how quickly we've gone from relegation candidates to title challenges. I think it's a mix of us getting good players in and the other teams failing to strengthen their squads sufficiently.

HappyValley.png

Happy Valley

Season 2015/16 : Preview

League expectation

-------------------------

Hong Kong First Division : Board expectation - Compete alongside the top teams in the league : Media expectation - 3rd (out of 10)

Cup expectations

---------------------

Hong Kong Senior Shield : Semi Final

Hong Kong League Cup : Not important

Hong Kong FA Cup : Not important

Transfer budget : £69k

Wage budget : £13k p/w

Current wage bill : £12.5k p/w

Heh, but what are YOUR expectations??

:D My expectations are to finish in the top 3. Sun Hei and Kitchee have strong sides so to finish above them would be an achievement. South China are just too strong for everyone so I think a title challenge is out of the question at the minute. I guess that league title a couple of seasons ago was a fluke :(

HappyValley.png

Happy Valley

Season 2015/16 : Mid-season update

Hong Kong First Division : A solid start to the season for us sees almost a repeat of last season as we sit comfortably in 2nd at the halfway mark. With the board wanting us to compete with the top teams in the league I’m confident that if we can continue our form into the second half of the season we can achieve that. While we’re 7 points clear of Sun Hei who are 3rd, we’re 7 points behind South China who look in scintillating form, picking up maximum points after winning all 9 games and looking good to retain their title. For us to finish 2nd for a second successive season will be a great achievement for us and I’ll be more than happy if we can do that.

Ah, it's nice to meet your goals. I wonder what that's like... :eek:

That's probably because I don't set myself goals as difficult as you do! ;):D Been following your thread for a while and am amazed at the difficult challenge you've set yourself! You've started well though, managing to claim the title in 3 years.

HappyValley.png

Happy Valley

Season 2015/16 : Review

Hong Kong First Division/Hong Kong First Division progress/Hong Kong First Division fixtures : After another fine first half of the season, this set us up nicely for the remainder of it. While we had a great second half of the season, South China were just too strong for everyone and we really didn’t have a chance of catching them as they eventually finished 11 points ahead of us. Still, we finished on 40 points (which is actually our highest points total; even more than our title winning year) so we can be happy with how we’re progressing.

Hong Kong Senior Shield : Very disappointed to go out in the Quarters as I felt that we were more than capable of winning this competition. Plus the winners of it qualify for the Asian Confederation Cup so it made the disappointment even worse for us.

Hong Kong League Cup/Hong Kong League Cup Group Stage : For the second successive year we were drawn with Sun Hei and HKFC and I was feeling confident of progressing. However, it wasn’t that straight forward as Sun Hei were the ones to qualify virtue of goal difference.

Hong Kong FA Cup : We made it to the final for the third year in a row where after losing the two previous finals, we wanted to put our run of defeats to bed. Thankfully, we weren’t facing South China in the final and although Sun Hei are a strong side, I always fancied our chances.

Transfers : The transfer windows were quite again for us as we only brought in Bryan Marin from parent club Dalian for £3.5k, Ling Cong from Citizen on a free and Brazilian Beto for £1.5k from Guarani after we gazumped South China at the last minute :D.

Squad : The squad is looking older and in need of some quality young players. However, with the number of foreign players at the limit (seven) and none of them anywhere near to gaining Hong Kong nationality, it’s difficult to see how I’m going to manage to get that quality in. Our stand out player was once again Kang Hyo who after a slow start with us, is finally banging in the goals I brought him here to do, netting 19 this season to break the club record for goals in a season.

Finances : The finances are slowly creeping back down again as our failure to qualify for the Asian Confederation Cup this season has hit us hard in the pockets. And with us failing once again to qualify for next seasons Asian Confederation Cup, the finances could well worsen :(.

Career Summary

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2013/14  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           1st      League Champions, Senior Shield winners, FA Cup runners up
2014/15  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           2nd      League runners up, League Cup winners, FA Cup runners up
2015/16  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           2nd      League runners up, FA Cup winners

After this seasons victory in the FA Cup, this has completed my challenge of winning all of the domestic competitions in Hong Kong :D. Just for the Asian Confederation Cup, the Asian Champions League and the Club World Cup now! :D

Good season Raware. Pity you won the wrong cup competition...

Are you still planning to stay in HK or are you looking to see if you can find a better job?

Cheers rancer :thup:. I know, I could've done with winning the Senior Shield as i'm not sure our finances can cope with another year not in the ACC.

At the minute i'm enjoying HK, preferably i'll stay there until i've completed your challenge but i'm not sure i'll be able to do that as it's so tough. I guess i'll stay until i've had enough! :D

Doing well there Raware :thup: At least you're getting a trophy every season!

A shame about the lack of funds but I'm sure you'll turn that around ;)

Thanks DodgeeD. Yeah, that should keep the fans happy!

As for the lack of funds...that may soon change...depending on how generous the new chairman is! :D

He sounds like a tight wad

That's cause he is! :D

If he'd pumped loads of cash into the club, you could have called him 'Weng Ka-Ching'

I'll get me coat

I tell you what DodgeeD...Peter Kay's got nothing to worry about has he?!?! ;)

HappyValley.png

Happy Valley

Season 2016/17 : Preview

League expectation

Hong Kong First Division : Board expectation - Compete alongside the top teams in the league : Media expectation – 2nd (out of 10)

Cup expectations

---------------------

Hong Kong Senior Shield : Final

Asian Confederation Cup : Learn from the experience

Transfer budget : £83k

Wage budget : £10.7k p/w

Current wage bill : £12.8k p/w

HappyValley.png

Happy Valley

Season 2016/17 : Mid-season update

Hong Kong First Division : Another great start to the season for us sees us sitting pretty at the top of the table as we hit the halfway mark of the season. With both South China and Sun Hei having a mixed start, we’ve managed to capitalize on that and hopefully we can continue that into the second half of the season. With us having such a good start to the season, it’d be pretty unambitious of me if I didn’t say a title challenge could be on the cards this year…I just hope South China don’t turn their form around.

HappyValley.png

Happy Valley

Season 2016/17 : Review

Hong Kong First Division/Hong Kong First Division progress/Hong Kong First Division fixtures : With such a great start to the season under our belts and the fact that our nearest rivals South China and Sun Hei struggled, this gave us a great opportunity to make a real title challenge. We managed to continue our good form throughout the remainder of the season and managed to claim the title with 2 games to spare, beating Citizen by 4 points who were the only team to inflict a league defeat on us :).

Hong Kong Senior Shield : A tricky route to the final saw us dispose of both our fiercest rivals Sun Hei and South China as we went on to claim my second Senior Shield cup after beating South China 2-0 in the final.

Hong Kong League Cup/Hong Kong League Cup Group Stage : After a another tricky group draw for us, the route after that was not as difficult as it could’ve been as we managed to beat Tuen Mun and then Pontic on penalties in the final.

Hong Kong FA Cup : After last seasons victory, we were out to defend our crown but unfortunately it wasn’t to be as Kitchee totally outplayed us and in all honesty, it could’ve been 4 or 5.

Asian Confederation Cup/ Asian Confederation Cup Group Stage : After failing to qualify for last seasons Asian Confederation Cup, I was pleased to be back in it this year…we definitely needed the money from it! The board wanted us to learn from the experience and I was pretty happy with that expectation so for us to go all the way to the final where we met fellow Hong Kongers South China and actually win it (even if we did ride our luck!) is a massive achievement for us and one that I never expected! :D

To have two Hong Kong teams in the final of the Asian Confederation Cup is a testament to Hong Kong football and shows how far it’s come. Hopefully it’s a sign for the future and with the new addition of DLR, hopefully the reputation of the Hong Kong league can rise!

Transfers :There was activity for us in both transfer windows as we brought in Zhang Chunhui on a free and Yoo Sung-Hoon for a club record £60k in the summer transfer window and Ni Bo and Wen Shuo on free transfers in the January transfer window who both have duel Chinese and Hong Kong nationality.

Squad : I’m pleased with the look of the squad and the quality we have in it, however, we still have the problem of an ageing squad. While we have a few young players, the average age of the squad is 29 with the back line average age well into the thirties so I’ll have to address that soon. Wang Xuanhong was our top scorer this season netting 13 goals in 30 games while Bryan Marin claimed both the Hong Kong Footballer of the Year and the Hong Kong Fans’ Player of the Year awards.

Finances : We’re just managing to keep our head above the water but we just can’t seem to make any money. Either a big competition win or selling a few of our star players looks the only way to make a profit at the minute.

One other award that came our way was the Hong Kong Manager of the Year award which I collected for the third time :D.

Career Summary

2015/16  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division           2nd      League runners up, FA Cup winners
2016/17  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division	      1st      League Champions, Senior Shield winners, League Cup winners, ACC winners

EXCELLENT season! Now, you lead the pack. :)

Cheers DSYoungEsq :) I was rather pleased with it especially as it was so unexpected of us to even make an impression in the ACC let alone win it! Although, South China have strengthened their squad during pre-season so it may be a little more difficult for us next season.

I'm sure you will hold them off! Just buy a nice, tasty young center-back!

I'm looking, i'm looking but my scouts can't find any...well, any that want to come to me :(.

Nice work Raware. That first title was not a fluke.

Any non-Chinese players close to HK citizenship?

Maybe both were flukes! :D Both Kang Hyo and Noh Seung-Hak have a year left before they gain citizenship but both are into their thirties now and on the decline. Gilberto has two years left, the other foreigners are nowhere near yet.

And btw (totally off-topic), good luck with Robbie Findley lol. :thup:

Ha ha, i've seen a couple of clips of him since the news broke...he looks half decent.

Congrats on a great season - so nearly a clean sweep of the trophies!

It will be interesting to see how the DLR works in your game now as Hong Kong should have two teams performing consistently well with your Happy Valley side on the rise alongside traditional powerhouse South China. Hopefully, you both make the group stages in the ACL. :thup:

Congrats on a great season - so nearly a clean sweep of the trophies!

It will be interesting to see how the DLR works in your game now as Hong Kong should have two teams performing consistently well with your Happy Valley side on the rise alongside traditional powerhouse South China. Hopefully, you both make the group stages in the ACL. :thup:

Thanks DodgeeD. Yeah, we came so close to a clean sweep but if im honest i'm more than happy with what we won. I'm just happy that we managed to compete with South China and prove that our previous title wasn't a fluke! :D

I'm interested too in how the new DLR will work with us (hopefully) and South China performing well in Asia. Although one of us won't make the ACL groups as we've drawn each other in the preliminary round. Of all the teams to draw! Still, we know we can beat them so i'm hopeful of progression :D

HappyValley.png

Happy Valley

Season 2017/18 : Preview

League expectation

Hong Kong First Division : Board expectation - Compete alongside the top teams in the league : Media expectation - 2nd (out of 10)

Cup expectations

---------------------

Hong Kong Senior Shield : Final

Asian Champions League : Learn from the experience

Asian Confederation Cup : Learn from the experience

Transfer budget : £42k

Wage budget : £13.1k p/w

Current wage bill : £14.3k p/w

HappyValley.png

Happy Valley

Season 2017/18 : Mid-season update

Hong Kong First Division : A steady first half of the season for us sees us sitting 2nd and trailing South China by 4 points who seem to have put their poor form of last season behind them. While we’re still unbeaten in the league, we have to start turning our draws in to wins. All we can do is focus on our own games for the remainder of the season and try and win them and hope South China’s poor form of last season catches back up with them if we want to retain our title. It’s going to be tough though especially with the financial backing South China has and the players they’ve managed to bring in. We’ll give it our best shot though! :D

HappyValley.png

Happy Valley

Season 2017/18 : Review

Hong Kong First Division/Hong Kong First Division progress/Hong Kong First Division fixtures : After a steady start to the season which put us in amongst it at the halfway mark, it gave us a good chance of retaining our title. It wasn’t to be though as despite remaining undefeated all season, we just drew too many games and South China were once again too strong for everyone as they went on to claim their 44th league title.

Hong Kong Senior Shield : We were out to claim our second successive Senior Shield this year and I’m delighted that we did! :D. While there are never any easy games, it did make things a little easier for us avoiding the big teams (South China, Kitchee) as we went on to beat Citizen 2-1 in the final.

Hong Kong League Cup/Hong Kong League Cup Group Stage : Another cup in which we were out to defend…and we did just that, disposing of Double Flower, Citizen and TSW Pegasus as we went on to beat our bitter rivals South China 2-1 in the final.

Hong Kong FA Cup : It was a carbon copy of last seasons FA Cup for us as it was once again Kitchee who sent us crashing out in the Quarter Final after totally outplaying us. This is fast becoming a bad habit for us in this cup.

Asian Champions League : Our debut season in Asia’s elite competition saw us pitted against fellow Hong Kong side and arch rivals South China. Needless to say I was bitterly disappointed to go out as we were more than a match for them as we lost (unluckily) 1-0 after extra time :(.

Asian Confederation Cup/ Asian Confederation Cup Group Stage : With our exit in the Asian Champions League, we were put into the Asian Confederation Cup which we managed to win last year. We made easy work of qualifying from the group stage but we were sent packing in the second round after defeat to Iraqi’s Al-Talaba.

Transfers : Only a few new faces came in for us this season as we let more go than we did come in. Yao Zhen joined us from Shenhua for £18k while goalkeepers Yapp Hung Fai (who spent a couple of years in the UAE after leaving South China for £250k) and Cuca both joined us on free transfers (great pieces of business if I do say so myself! :D).

Squad : While I’m happy with the attacking strength of the squad, there’s no question that we need to make defensive additions to the squad as four of our defenders will be leaving us at the end of the season as they’re just too old now (two are 35 and two are 36) so that’ll leave us a bit thin on the ground defensively. On the plus side, Wang Xuanhong was once again our star performer, netting 20 goals in 31 games and we had a youth player (Yeung Ka Wai) fight his way into the squad. While he isn’t blessed with great stats, my staff say he’ll make a good Hong Kong First Division player and has already gained 3 senior international caps! Some other good news is that both Noh Seung-Hak and Kang Hyo are both close to gaining Hong Kong citizenship and Gilberto only has a year left before he can gain his so we can hopefully get some extra foreign quality in. Bad news is, is that several players (Bryan Marin, Du Longquan, Wen Shuo and Hideaki Nagatomi) are making noises about moving to a bigger club. They’re all tied down for at least another year or two yet though so hopefully I can persuade them to stay.

Finances : Thanks to our Asian Confederation Cup win last season and consequent entry into the Asian Champions League, this boosted our finances to a healthy three quarter of a million pounds! Hopefully, this means the board can allocate a bigger transfer fund for me to allow me to bring in some real quality now!

One other bit of important news is that I’m now on the clubs icons list.

Career Summary

2016/17  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division	      1st      League Champions, Senior Shield winners, League Cup winners, ACC winners
2017/18  Happy Valley      Hong Kong First Division	      2nd      League runners up, Senior Shield winners, League Cup winners

Well, seems like South China are your nemesis, though a wonderful win to take them out in one of the cups, anyway!

They are! Although it was nice to beat them in the final! :D

Nice season. Need to get that ACL victories going

Do you mind if I steal your Pre-Season report layout?

That's the thing. Because of the low rep the HK league has, the only way to get into the ACL is to win the ACC (or finish runners up) so it's going to be difficult for us to. As for the layout...no problem!

A good season despite the ACL disappointment (must be infuriating to be knocked out by the team you beat in the ACC final :mad:)

Looks like you'll be battling South China for a time to come.

I was a 'little' peeved at our ACL exit especially as like you say we beat them in the ACC final. They took all our ACL group prize money :mad:. This definitely means war!

South China and Happy Valley to become the Yanks and Sawx of Hong Kong.

There's definitely 'some' rivalry between us...made even worse after that defeat and their league win! :D

Archived