Cove Bay Pirates/STI v. City Merchants/NTI - The Ultimate Rivalry - This Time It's For Real!!!

Who will win the Gold Cup?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Gold Cup?

• Northern Treasure Islands
    • Southern Treasure Islands
    • U.S.A.
    • Mexico
    • Other

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by macca69:

THought we'd had it when i missed. Sorry guys icon_smile.gif

lol, you would have if we hadnt gone through. it would have been a ceremonial walking of the plank for you ! icon_wink.gif

wahey! semi-finals at the first time of asking and my boy netted a pen.

spain eh? bring it on!!!!!

STI / Pirates! YAAAAARRRRGH!

in the bag lads! would like germany in the final as we've already beat them in the group stage but then again beating brazil in our first world cup final ever. yes, before everyone tells me that we've got to beat spain first, i know but i have said since we qualified that we will win the whole thing. i am very happy to have qualified out of the group we had so this is a bonus. kutgw mate.

The World Cup has run its course - I'll try to get the reports up tonight and then back to domestic football over the weekend. (That will come as a relief to you Merchantmen icon_wink.gif).

I'm interested to see whether or not NTI can get an invite to the 2011 Gold Cup. STI will almost definitely be in as they've shot up the World Rankings with their World Cup run but NTI will need some good friendly results to join them.

As a little teaser for the NTI boys, I can reveal that the Treasure Island transfer record has been broken with a Northerner making a move for 16.5mil! But who? All to be revealed this weekend icon14.gif

World Cup 2010: Semi Finals

Southern Treasure Islands v. Spain

Date: 07.07.10

Venue: FNB Stadium, Johannesburg

So, the biggest day in Treasure Island sporting history (for the Southern ıslanders at least icon_wink.gif)had arrived. This time they faced formidable opposition in the shape of Spain - would the Spaniards prove too much? Or would they bottle it on the big stage yet again? STI would be hoping for the latter... As the match began, STI set about their so far so good tactics of keeping the bal and playing a patient possssion game. For most of the first half, it worked, the only drawback being the lack of chances up front. STI suffered a setback on 21 mins though as Craig Healy was forced out of the game after a late challenge. In the seocnd half, the story was more or less the same but Spain started to create better chances in front of Reina's goal. Disaster struck on the hour mark as David Villa broke free of his markers and scored the opener. The Southerners tried desperately to get back into the match but couldn't find a way past the experienced Spanish defence. On 73 minutes they were caught on the break as Inestia skipped through the defence to add a second. After that, Spain kept a cool head and played otu the remainder of the game comfortably. The bubble had finally burst and the final proved a step too far for this young STI team. They had however made themselves proud and their Northern rivals green with envy so nobody was overly disappointed by the defeat.

FÄ°nal Score: Southern Treasure Islands 0 Spain 2

STI Ratings & Stats

In the other semi, Brazil got through meaning STI's 3rd place play-off would be a rematch against Germany.

Semi Final Results

World CUp 2010: Third Place Play-Off

Germany v. Southern Treasure Islands

Date: 10.07.10

Venue: Ellis Park, Johannesburg

Onto the big anti-climax then - the 3rd place play-off. The match that nobody wants to play proved to be a real slog as it went the distance through full time and extra time. Germany seemed to have more fight for the game as they strove to prove that the group match was a fluke. They pretty much dominated the attacking play with 25 shots on goal but Iker Reina was in top form to deny them several times. He was beaten in the first half, however, and it seemed that would be the decisive goal until Gwilym J. James equalised with a sweet freekick 7 minutes from time. he turned villan in extra time though as he was given his marching orders for a second yellow. That left STI with no choice but to protect the draw. It nearly all fell apart when Wrighty gave a way a penalty with 3 minutes to go. Luckily for him, the germans missed. Onto penalities then (don't worry - I won't break off at the vital moment this time icon_wink.gif). Shoot-outs against the Germans are always a tough prospect and this was no different as STI lost out 4-3.

Final Score (aet): Germany 1 Southern Treasure Islands 1 (Germany win 4-3 on penalties)

Match Stats

STI Ratings & Stats

World Cup 2010: Review

For the sake of completion, I suppose I should mention who won the final icon_razz.gif

World Cup Final - So Brazil do it yet again - quite a dramatic end though with the winner coming in injury time of extra time! icon_eek.gif

I was looking forward to the awards to see what honurs the STI players would receive.

First up, congratualtions to Bobinho who tied with David Villa as topscorer! icon14.gif I was a bit confused by the Golden Boot standings though as Bobinho is listed 2nd despite the fact that both players scored 5 in 7 games. icon_confused.gif The only deciding factor I can think of is that Spain progressed further...

Dream Team - this was a shocker for me! Despite thier run to the semi-fianls, not a single STI player featured in the team or even the squad!!! icon_redface.gif I'm guessing reputation has something to do with this...

Even though Southern treasure Islands were somewhat snubbed at the awards (rumours of NTI delegates presenting the FIFA comittee with gifts before the voting was firmly denied icon_wink.gif), they received some recognition as their World Cup exploits saw them shoot up to 19th in the World Rankings. icon14.gif

Now, it's time to get back to the domestic scene. Transfer updates to come later today.

Transfer Window Update: September 2010

With the new season underway, it's time to look at the summer transfers. Surprisingly, there were only a few moves made by STI players after their World Cup run (in fact the biggest money move involved a player who wasn't even in the Wolrd Cup Squad). The big money moves were made by the NTI boysi who obviously spent their summer off wheling and dealing. icon_wink.gif

Here are the NTI transfers in full:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Player From To Fee

Bob McBob Wolfsburg Sevilla 16mil

Ben Roscrow Saint-Etienne Liverpool 13mil

Rebel Israel AJ Auxerre Lyon 13mil

General Specific Nürnberg Charlton 9mil

Haowan NEC Cove Bay 4.9mil

Dirtihno Merchants Spurs Free

Emilio Peralta Merchants Standard 50k

Miltinho PSV Augsburg Loan</pre>

And for those of you who wish to check on your current club, value and salary: Where are they now? What are they earning? What are they worth? (NTI)

And for those STI nationals:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Player From To Fee

Jason de Mire NEC Portsmouth 6mil

Rich Denton FC Twente PSV 5.75mil

Ramiro AZ Ajax 5.75mil

Iker Reina Cove Bay Stuttgart 5.5mil

Elliot Druce Bochum Wolfsburg 4.5mil

Adam Wilkinson Roda JC Merchants 4.1mil

Craig Healy Cove Bay Ajax 3.6mil

David Sunderland Cove Bay Stutgart 1.9mil

Juan Carlos AJ Auxerre OGC Nice 2.1mil

Paul Hart NEC Kirikkalespor Loan </pre>

And a full list of STI players by club (with salaries and values): Where are they now? What are they earning? What are they worth? (STI)

Bob McBob becomes the most expensive Islander following his 16mil transfer as well as the first to play in La Liga. icon14.gif

Following the big money moves of Ben Roscrow and Rebel Israel, NTI now have 5 players worth over 10 million pounds. Jason de Mire is the highest valued STI player following his 6mil move to pompey (and he wasn't even at the World Cup!).

Two more turncoats appeared as Adam Wilkinson moved to the Merchants and Haowan jumped ship to Cove Bay. Haowan did show his inherited financial savvy though as he becomes the highest earner on 44k a week. icon14.gif

Transfer window now closed but I will cover the 'wnt' symbols and other news in my next update along with a look at the new Cove Bay and Merchant signings and regens.

Oh, and an extra rivals clash this season as the Merchants and Cove Bay were paired together in the Dutch Cup 2nd Round. icon_biggrin.gif

icon14.gif STI lost to Cameroon. That makes me feel somewhat better.

icon13.gif Aussies lost. Come on mates! You could have at least gotten your fans to bean them with Foster's!

icon13.gif And the Elephants lost too? Eboue, you Goon, you've mucked up another one!

icon14.gif Hurray for Spain! Viva Espana! and good work on redeeming yourselves Germany.

icon_confused.gif Surprised Walid Ali did enough during Saudi Arabia's brief time in the Cup to make the team.

icon13.gif How could Haowan move to those dirty buggers in Cove Bay? He'll be getting some dead seagulls in his NTI locker, methinks.....

icon14.gif Adam Wilkerson made a wise decision joining the Merchants.

Keep 'em coming, Dodgee! icon14.gif

Rivals Update: Pre-season Transfers and Team News

Time for a closer look at what the Pirates and the Merchants have been up to over the summer.

Cove Bay Pirates

A summer of squad strengthening was expected by Cove Bay fans ahead of their first foray into European competition. What they got what a bit of a mixed bag: Cove Bay Summer 2010 Transfers

The departures of Craig Healy (earlier in the summer), David Sunderland and Iker Reina meant all of the original players had now moved on. The sale of Reina was particularly hard to understand as Cove Bay had been short of cover in goal all of last season. Also, the sale of American left back, Kyle Long after just one season at the club was disappointing to see.

The arrival of Haowan meant there were two NTI players in the squad (with long-term turncoat Adam Flash already established). The only STI players at the club are those in the youth system!

Of the new signings, these two look the most promising:

Choco - the Brazilian U20 AMC arrived from Gent for 4.5mil. Worth keeping an eye on him as he could well become naturalised before he gets a call-up for Brazil. icon_wink.gif

Andriy Pyatov - the Ukranian international was brought in right at the end of the transfer window and will go some way to easing Cove Bay's goalkeeper shortage.

Youssef de Haan - this young keeper was brought in for 60k in June and certainly has great potential. he actually started the season as first choice but that may change now that Pyatov has arrived.

Of the new regens in the U-19 squad, these are ones to watch (my standard for including players here is a PA of 140+):

Albert Hoogendoorn - despite his Madchester-esque haircut, this centre back could be a bright star for the future.

Sjoerd Berger - this winger is bound to get attention, at the very least for his wacko name!

Capital City Merchants FC

A bit of a clear-out took place in Capital City as 10 players were sold or released. Northern Islanders will be disappointed to see Dirtihno depart on a free and hot prospect Emilio Peralta off to Standard for a measly 50k. The decision to sell Bernardo after just one season with the club was met with despair by the fans too. They will be hoping the 7.5mil raised by his sale will be pumped back into buying new players come January.

Of the new signings, Eugene Shakhov looks to be a bargain at 675k.

There are unfortunately no new youngsters at the club who seem worth mentioning!

In other news, Argentine centre back Pellegrino is now eligible for NTI citizenship as is Cameroonian striker Noukeu. Whether or not they will take it remains to be seen.

The Merchants have struck a new feeder club deal, extablishing a link with Spanish side Amorebieta. Unforutnately, more links with domestic NTI clubs have been cut, leaving only two links intact.

I'll give another regen update towards the end of the calender year (game time obviously icon_razz.gif) when (hopefully) the treasure Island domestic clubs will produce some regens. icon14.gif

Rivals Clash: Cove Bay Pirates v. Capital City Merchants FC (Dutch Cup, 2nd Round)

Date: 30.09.10

Venue: World's End Stadium

The first rivals clash of the year came round quickly as these two were paired together in the cup. The clash was made all the bigger by the fact that Merchants were 2nd in the league coming into the game, just a point off leaders PSV and Cove Bay were just two more points back in 3rd. Merchants were also riding on a high following their 6-0 win over Gronigen just a few dyas earlier. Cove Bay, on the other hand, were struck by injuries and missing 3 first teamers.

However, Cove Bay were to upset the form book as they dominated the game from start to finish, producing 25 shots, 11 on target. Merchants, meanwhile, didn't hit the target once despite having the league's most prolific partnership in Boyle and Gonzaléz. Chris Katongo scored the only goal and it would have been more had Man Of The Match Jack Harrow not been in such great form. Cove Bay paid a price for their victory though as Jens Janse went off injured meaning 4 players would be out for the upcoming UEFA cup game with Udinese.

Final Score: Cove Bay 1 Merchants 0

How they rated

October 2010 Update: Player and Team News

With all of the European leagues underway, time for a status update and a bit of player news. icon14.gif

Players wanted by clubs

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Player Wanted by

T.H. Gooner Newcastle, Bolton, Caligiari, Villareal

Alfonso da Silva Santos Everton

Cabinboy Pendros Everton, Man City, AS Saint-Etienne

Robert Boyle Feyenoord, Celtic

Pablo Gonzaléz Charlton, PSG, Ajax, Palermo

Nathaniel Ball PSG

The Stig Stuttgart, Palermo, Santos Laguna </pre>

Could be interesting to see if The Stig ends up going to Mexico! icon_biggrin.gif

Injuries

Only one to report at this stage of the season: Ramiro has a torn claf muscle and will be out for up to 4 months.

Player News

Robert Boyle has been in lethal form so far this season scoring 11 goals in 7 games.

Pablo Gonzaléz has been chipping in with the goals for Merchants too with 6 in 6.

Cabinboy Pendros has been in great form helping hertha Berlin to the top of the Bundesliga.

Rich Denton has made a great start to his PSV career with 5 assists from the right back slot.

Captain Gingerbread is back on the pitch and maong the goals and Köln and has (so far) remained injury free).

With four appearances already this season, Gregory Le Quack seems to have finally made a breakthrough at Sunderland.

Trevor Tobago, on the other hand, is still listed for loan in PSV Reserves.

If you ever get bored of this (I'm hoping you don't though) would you mind putting the database up on here, I'm sure quite a few of us would like to try and guide our club/country to Champions League/World Cup glory icon_smile.gif

Whoops! Forgot the team news icon_razz.gif

Merchants FC are the outstanding performers of the Dutch league so far this season, lying second just 2 points behind PSV.

Cove Bay have been hit by injuries and suspensions (7 players currently out) and have fallen back to 6th following a 4-0 loss to Feyenoord. Thier first venture into Europe ended in disappointment as Udinese handed out a 6-0 aggregate defeat.

Originally posted by ridleys:

If you ever get bored of this (I'm hoping you don't though) would you mind putting the database up on here, I'm sure quite a few of us would like to try and guide our club/country to Champions League/World Cup glory icon_smile.gif

That's a definite possibility, though I think I'll wait until this sign-up has run its course or until there isn't long left till FM 09 time. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ridleys:

That's a definite possibility, though I think I'll wait until this sign-up has run its course or until there isn't long left till FM 09 time. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you could start a new one for FM 09 icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by ridleys:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DodgeeD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ridleys:

That's a definite possibility, though I think I'll wait until this sign-up has run its course or until there isn't long left till FM 09 time. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you could start a new one for FM 09 icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I already have an idea to expand on this thread for FM 09 but it's going to take a bit of work. All will be revealed in good time icon_wink.gif

Whoops! Forgot the team news icon_razz.gif

Merchants FC are the outstanding performers of the Dutch league so far this season, lying second just 2 points behind PSV.

Cove Bay have been hit by injuries and suspensions (7 players currently out) and have fallen back to 6th following a 4-0 loss to Feyenoord. Thier first venture into Europe ended in disappointment as Udinese handed out a 6-0 aggregate defeat.

2nd in the league icon14.gif

KUTGW

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DodgeeD:

I already have an idea to expand on this thread for FM 09 but it's going to take a bit of work. All will be revealed in good time icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you DO do another one for FM09, please reserve spots for us original team members. I would be gutted to miss out, this has definitley been one of the best sign-ups these forums have seen!

great to see my player adapting to life at PSV. perhaps he has found his niche. now if only STI would get a new manager that liked playing full-backs in a 4-4-2 rather tahn wing-backs in a 5-3-2 i might actually crack on with my international career icon14.gif

lying second just 2 points behind PSV icon14.gif

We can win this.

Lost in the Dutch Cup

Its okay

In other news, Argentine centre back Pellegrino is now eligible for NTI citizenship as is Cameroonian striker Noukeu. Whether or not they will take it remains to be seen. icon14.gif

Hope the trend continues...

We can beat the pirates with them,they know the style the pirates play worst... icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by valencia:

I already have an idea to expand on this thread for FM 09 but it's going to take a bit of work. All will be revealed in good time icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you DO do another one for FM09, please reserve spots for us original team members. I would be gutted to miss out, this has definitley been one of the best sign-ups these forums have seen!

great to see my player adapting to life at PSV. perhaps he has found his niche. now if only STI would get a new manager that liked playing full-backs in a 4-4-2 rather tahn wing-backs in a 5-3-2 i might actually crack on with my international career icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry - spots will be reserved.. for the regular contributors at least. icon_wink.gif (Especially as, if my new idea stays in it's current form, there may be fewer spots next time!)

Archived