Cove Bay Pirates/STI v. City Merchants/NTI - The Ultimate Rivalry - This Time It's For Real!!!

Who will win the Gold Cup?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Gold Cup?

• Northern Treasure Islands
    • Southern Treasure Islands
    • U.S.A.
    • Mexico
    • Other

Gold Cup 2011 Preview

All is set now for the Gold Cup to commence with STI looking to better their semi-fianl appearance last time and NTI looking to make a mark in their first international tournament.

First a reminder of the groups:

Group A

Costa Rica

Panama

Northern Treasure Islands

Guatemala

Group B

Mexico

Southern Treasure Islands

Jamaica

Honduras

Group C

U.S.A.

Canada

El Salvador

Trinidad & Tobago

I'll get started on the updates either later tonight (after the Euro 2008 matches) or tomorrow. Soi until then, your predictions and banter please!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant updates as usual Dodgee!

looks like my guy might be off to his 5th club in the summer! (correct me if i'm wrong, i'm losing track!) - feel like the littlest hobo! keep on moving on! great season though, hopefully i wont end up with the Geordies. I want a move back to Cove Bay! icon_frown.gif

I' putting my money on STI to win the Gold Cup! YARR!

(I'm off on holiday tomorrow for a week of sun in Sardinia, so wont be posting. I'll expect my Gold Cup winners medal waiting for me on my doormat when i get back!) icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

once again, keep up the great work Dodgee. I'm really enjoying this sign up. a lot of hard work and imagination gone into it, and it shows! icon14.gif

i must be the highest scoring centre-back in this sign-up surely. 8 last season and 6 this.

sti to win the gold cup with nti reaching the semis only to be knocked out by the winners.

as for me wanting a transfer - sounds like real life.

kutgw mate

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

Gregory Le Quack - managed to break into the first team at Sunderland this season but became disillusioned with life in the North-East as he couldn't hold onto his place. Good news for next season however as first choice Sunderland keeper Robert Enke is demanding a transfer.

Finally! icon_biggrin.gif

InterToto Cup for The Merchants icon_smile.gif and nothing for the darn Pirates icon_biggrin.gif

Sunderland finished 14th with the third-highest amount of losses icon_frown.gif maybe Le Quack's influence on the team isn't that good icon_frown.gif although he seems to be good at all the necessary things so I did a good job selecting the attributes icon_biggrin.gif

Somehow he conceded 13 goals in 11 games and averaged 6.36 icon_frown.gif kept a clean sheet in a European game though icon14.gif

KUTGW Dodgee icon14.gif

icon14.gif I just flat out rock France icon_biggrin.gif

icon14.gif Marseille are confirmed to be back in the Champions League.

NTI will finish second in the group, beat Honduras in the quarters, but lose to the USA in the semis.

STI will also finish best of second placed, but will be upset by Canada icon_biggrin.gif

2011 Gold Cup Report

Match Day 1, Group A: Northern Treasure Islands v Panama

At last, the most anticipated tournament of the summer was here with NTI set for their debut in a major international competition. Bad news for the Northerners though: Star striker Robert Boyle received an elbow injury in his final league game for Ajax and would be unable to join the squad. icon_frown.gif Up first, Panama, who NTI had recorded one win against and suffered one defeat to back in the World Cup Qualifiers. The match began slowly with both sides cautious, not wanting to make the mistake that would give the other side the advantage. As the game progressed, NTI found their stride a little and started to win more of the ball than their opponents. The first half finished goaless and after the break, NTI started to create more chances. Bob McBob, the new NTI captain, went close on a couple of ocassions as did Gonzaléz and Gooner. In the end, the fact that the Panamanian goalkeeper won the MoM award says it all.

Final Score: Northern Treasure Islands 0 Panama 0

NTI ratings & stats

Other Results: Guatemala 1 Costa Rica 1

Group B: Jamaica v Southern Treasure Islands

STI's first game was against an opponent they had beaten once and drawn against in World Cup Qualifying. Following their world cup success, expectation was high and the players were keen to show that the bad form in friendlies was just a blip. Things started brightly as a great early run by Elliot Druce saw him break through the Jamaican defence and calmly slot the ball past the advancing keeper. 1-0 with only 5 minutes on the clock. STI proceeded to dominate the rest of the half but were unable to add to their total. Early in the second half, Jamaica managed to create a few chances but their period of ascendancy was short-lived as STI soon regained control. After great play in midfield, the ball came to Bobinho, who made no mistake as he fired a vicious netbuster to double the lead. The Southerners continued to create the better cahncs and added a third right at the end of the game when a penalty was given and duly converted by Jason de Mire.

Final Score: Jamaica 0 Southern Treasure Islands 3

STI Ratings and Stats

Other results: Mexico 1 Honduras 1

Group C

Results: USA 3 El Salvador 0

Trinidad & Tobago 2 Canada 2

Must have cmpletely missed that code thing icon_redface.gif. Have only been skimming updates for Dos Santos' name at the min as I am only on once or twice a week. Still, NTI start with a draw so we'll look to improve. KUTGW.

2011 Gold Cup Report

Matchday 2, Group A: Guatemala v. Northern Treasure Islands

After a goaless draw in the first game, our friends from the North were after the win that would go a long way to helping them secure a spot in the next round. They were facing their opponents for the first time ever but quickly got into the swing of things. With just 12 minutes on the clock, Bob McBob received the ball on the edge of the area and laid back a neat ball for the oncoming Emilio Peralta to smash home from 20 yards. NTI porceeded to dominate possession and limit Guatemala to a few desperate long range efforts. NTI added to their lead early in the second half as Arthur White was tripped in the box and T. H. Gooner converted the penalty. NTI remained in control of the game until the final 5 minutes when Adam Flash brought down his opponent in the box. He was given his marching orders by the ref and Guatemala were awarded a penalty. Gregory Le Quack was equal to the task though and pushed the spot kick wide to preserve the scoreline.

Final Score: Guatemala 0 Northern Treasure Islands 2

NTI Ratings & Stats

In the other game, Panama caused a minor shock as they beat Costa Rica 3-2. With two third place teams advancing, these results meant only a major screw up stood between NTI and the quarter finals.

Matchday 2, Group B: Southern Treasure Islands v. Mexico

An intriguing match up in Group B brought together the rising stars of the continent against one of the traditional powerhouses. This was their first clash but the Mexicans were sure to be wary following their early World Cup Qualifying exit at the hands of NTI 2 years previously. The match began evenly with both teams finding time on the ball and creating some chances. The experience of the Mexican side showed first as they opened trhe scoring on 25 minutes. That only stirred the STI boys to life though as they started to control the game. They got the breakthrough they needed when Mexican defender Fernando Arce lived up to his name, turning a corner into his own net after The Stiggot his head to the ball, which tied the scores. After that, there was no stopping the boys from the South as they streamed forward in search of the win. They left it late though as it wasn't until the final minute that Elliot Druce split the defnece with a pass to Bobihno, who made no mistake.

Final Score: Southern Treasure Islands 2 Mexico 1

STI Ratings & Stats

In the other match, Jamaica were all but eliminated as they went down 4-2 to Honduras. Mexico's status in the competition hung by a thread as they had just 1 point after two games...

Matchday 2, Group C: Results

Trinidad & Tobago 0 USA 3

Canada 3 El Salvador 2

Originally posted by Robert_296:

Am I even in the squad? ffs, I am the european golden boot winner you know! lol

2011 Gold Cup Report

At last, the most anticipated tournament of the summer was here with NTI set for their debut in a major international competition. Bad news for the Northerners though: Star striker Robert Boyle received an elbow injury in his final league game for Ajax and would be unable to join the squad. icon_frown.gif

It's all there icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Walcott's Wonderkids:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert_296:

I would like to echo that thought about Trevor Tobago! :-(

Nice to see the NTI doing well though. Go team! ;-) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good old TT is in the squad. Unfortunately for him, much like at PSV, he's not being used in the team.

2011 Gold Cup Report

Matchday 3, Group A: Northern Treasure Islands v. Costa Rica

NTI faced their toughest opponents on the last day but could afford to be somewhat confident that they would be in the quarter finals no matter what. However, a confidence building win would be a big boost to their momentum. Costa Rica, on the other hand, had to win this, their first encounter with Northern Treasure Islands, to stand any chance of progressing. The Costa Ricans tried to take the game to NTI early on and had the better of the early chances. However, General Specific and Emilio Peralta were in fine form to break down many of the attacks and Rebel Israel took care of the rest. In the second half, as Costa Rica beccame more frustrated and desperate, NTI began to take control. The match was essentially decided in a breathtaking 8 minute period as first Peralta broke forward and played Pablo Gonzaléz through to score, then Roberto dos Santos added a second after fine work by Bob McBob and then Gonzaléz again surprised a shocked Costa Rican defence by stealing the ball and scoring the third. Suddenly the game had gone from being on a knşfe edge to being as good as over. Costa Rica recovered sufficiently to pull one back with about 20 minutes left but NTI never looked like letting this slip as they secured the win to top the group and send Costa Rica home.

Final Score: Northern Treasure Islands 3 Costa Rica 1

NTI Ratings & Stats

In the other game, Panama booked their place in the quarters after a 1-1 draw with Guatemala, who would have to rely on other results to have any chance of going through.

Matchday 3, Group B: Honduras v. Southern Treasure Islands

STI were already assured of their place in the next round ahead of this match against an opponent the had previously beaten on 4 ocassions and drawn with once. Riding high on confidence, the Southerners dominated the game. Eduaddo opened the scoring with a header from a corner. A second was added in the second half after Brendanio showed great awareness to selflessly pass to Craig Healy, who only had to tap in after his team mate had run past the entire Honduran defence.

Final Score: Honduras 0 Southern Treasure Islands 2

STI Ratings & Stats

Mexico just about scraped into the next round as a 2-1 win over Jamaica gave them enough points to take one of the best 3rd place spots.

Matchday 3, Group C: Results

USA 0 Canada0

El Salvador 4 Trinidad & Tobago 0

Group Stage Final Standings - both of our rival nations made it through with ease. With Canada, USA and Mexico still in the mix, the knockout stages should be interesting.

Quarter Final Draw - NTI and STI should be favourites for their respective games. It seems the Mexican and American federations may have been the teams giving presents to CONCACAF officials this summer as USA get to face the third place team from their own group and Mexico avoid all of the first placed teams despite coming third. Hmmmmm

Oh, and one more thing: If both Northern Treasure Islands and Southern Treasure Islands win, they will face each other in the semi-finals!!! icon_wink.gif

told you so in my first post on this page 'sti to win the gold cup and nti to only reach the semis to be knocked out by the winners' (us, the sti)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert_296:

2011 Gold Cup Report

At last, the most anticipated tournament of the summer was here with NTI set for their debut in a major international competition. Bad news for the Northerners though: Star striker Robert Boyle received an elbow injury in his final league game for Ajax and would be unable to join the squad. icon_frown.gif

It's all there icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif Nice to know I can read

Originally posted by Bloodstreaks:

Yeah! Eduaddo scoring for his country is always good to see icon_smile.gif

Panama should be an easy game, right?.. icon_razz.gif

KUTGW

Quarter final reports to come after tonight's (real) quarter final. As I've already taken the game past that point, I can tell you the STI-Panama tie turns out to be a quite a game. Why and how? That's for later icon_wink.gif

Gold Cup 2011 Report: Quarter Finals

Honduras v. Northern Treasure Islands

NTI went into the quarters confident after topping their group. They had played two evenly matched games against their opponents in World Cup Qualifying, which had resulted in one win a piece so a tight game was expected. That's exactly what it was as chances for both sides were limited. An uneventful and even first half produced no goals. Much as in thier group clash with Costa Rica, NTI would flash to life for an 8 minute period in the seocnd half. First, on the hour mark Rebel Israel made a long clearance which Roberto dos Santos ran onto and slammed into the back of the net. After that, on 68 minutes, sub Alfonso da Silva Santos broke down the right wing and crossed trhe ball for dos Santos to head home doubling his tally and his side's lead. Honduras had played too defensive for too loong and couldn't force their way back into the game as NTI made it to the semis.

Final Score: Honduras 0 Northern Treasure Islands 2

NTI Ratings & Stats

Southern Treasure Islands v. Panama

With NTI already through, would STI be able to join them and set up a huge rivals clash in the semis? The answer came in what was not so much a football match as an annihilation. Jason de Mire opened the scoring after just 6 minutes. Bobinho added two more before half time, sandwiched either side of an Adam Wilkinson effort. 4-0 up after 45 minutes, STI could have been forgiven for taking it easy in the second half. To their credit, they chose not to, instead sending a message out to their Northern rivals and the other teams in the competition by scoring another 3 goals. The Stig popped up to score from a corner, taking his side a step closer to his confident predicition of becoming champions defeating NTI en route. Jason de Mire added another and Bobinho completed the carnage and earned the match ball with a 7th goal 4 minutes from time. The Panamanians looked in utter shock as they trudged off the pitch while the Southern Islanders celebrated one of the most emphatic Gold Cup wins of all time. With 6 different players providing assists, the tag of 'the new total football' seemed well-earned.

Final Score: Southern Treasure Islands 7 Panama 0

STI Ratings and Stats - plenty of 8s and 9s there!

In the other games, USA and Mexico both secured victories to set up the other semi final.

Quarter Final Results

Semi Final Draw - a mouthwatering rivals clash then between two in form rivals. History is on the side of the Southerners. They are also in devastating form. NTI, however, are playing well too and will be determined to get one over their old foes.

Who will triumph? Will the winners go on to become Champions? Your predicitons and rival's banter please!

icon13.gif I hate being injured. It means I don't get to play icon_frown.gif (duh)

icon14.gif Beat Costa Rica

icon13.gif STI finished their group undeafeated.

icon14.gif We knocked out Honduras icon_biggrin.gif

icon13.gificon_frown.gif STI absolutely destroyed Panama

Predictions:

Semis:

NTI 2 - 1 STI

USA 1 - 1 Mexico (Mexico wins on penalties)

3rd place:

STI 2 - 0 USA

1st place:

NTI 1 - 1 Mexico (NTI wins on penalties) icon_biggrin.gif

Archived