Cove Bay Pirates/STI v. City Merchants/NTI - The Ultimate Rivalry - This Time It's For Real!!!

Who will win the Gold Cup?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Gold Cup?

• Northern Treasure Islands
    • Southern Treasure Islands
    • U.S.A.
    • Mexico
    • Other

2013 Gold Cup: Group B Report

Onto STI's group:

Matchday 1

Southern Treasure Islands v. Haiti

STI faced Haiti for the first time in their opening match and they didn't hold back! They ripped into the Haitian defence with Captain Gingerbread grabbing the opening two goals inside the first twenty minutes. Bobinho got in on the act shortly afterwards with Gwilym J. James adding a fourth from the penalty spot before the half hour mark. Haiti hit back 3 minutes later but Gingerbread killed off their hopes of a comeback by completing his hattrick on 39 minutes. The Haitins than scored a second only for Captain Gingerbread to score again ensuring STI went into the dressing rooms at halftime 6-2 up! The second half was much more low key than the first with the only goal coming from... you've guessed it Captain Gingerbread!! The Newcastle striker had put in the kind of performance that must have made the Haitians wish they had The Haitian in the side to neutralise his abilities (that one is for all you Heroes fans out there ;)).

Final Score: Southern Treasure Islands 7, Haiti 2 | STI Player Ratings & Stats

The USA got off to a winning start in the other game beating Guatemala 2-0.

Matchday 2

Guatemala v. Southern Treasure Islands

A win here would be enough to see STI through to the knockout stages and take the pressure off ahead of their final group clash with the USA. It was secured with ease (if not with the ruthless style of their previous game) as Bobinho set up Clatworthy for a goal in the first half, Captain Gingerbread added to his tally for the tournament with a fine solo effort in the second half and Eduaddo got up to add a third from a corner minutes later. An injury time consolation was all Guatemala could muster in reply.

Final Score: Guatemala 1, Southern Treasure Islands 3 | STI Player Ratings & Stats

The USA also booked their passage to the next round in the other match as they beat Haiti by a mere two goals to nil. :p

Matchday 3

U.S.A. v. Southern Treasure Islands

That meant all that was at stake in this match was top spot in the group, which was quite important as that would mean an easier tie in the quarters. STI played a very tight game, keepig hold of the ball and wearing the American defence down. It worked as they frustrated their opponents and grabbed a first half goal through a header from Wrighty. The Southerners never looked like letting their lead slip as they protected their lead and created the better chances throughout the match and could consider themselves unlucky to have only won by the one goal.

Final Score: U.S.A. 0, Southern Treasure Islands 1 | STI Player Ratings & Stats

Guatemala did just enough to secure one of the best losers spots for the next round with a 3-0 win over group whipping boys Haiti.

Group B Final Table

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2013 Gold Cup: Group C Results

And finally, the group containing one of the tournament favourites, Mexico. Results were as follows:

[font=Courier New]Matchday 1: El Salvador 1  Honduras    2[/font]
[font=Courier New]            Canada      2  Mexico      3[/font]
[font=Courier New]Matchday 2: Honduras    4  Canada      1[/font]
[font=Courier New]            Mexico      4  El Salvador 1[/font]
[font=Courier New]Matchday 3: Honduras    0  Mexico      3[/font]
[font=Courier New]            El Salvador 1  Canada      1[/font]

That all meant Mexico topped the group with Honduras going through second. Canada and El Salvador, with 1 point each, were eliminated.

Group C Final Table

Quarter Final Draw

The 8 qualifiers from the group stage were paired up like this:

U.S.A v. Northern Treasure Islands

Jamaica v. Southern Treasure Islands

Mexico v. Panama

Honduras v. Guatemala

As you may expect, should both Treasure Island nations make the semis, they will face each other once again. ;):D

Nothing for me to shout about with Ramiro not playing in any of the games :(

3 STI wins is good though and I find myself for the first time ever suppporting the USA :D although it would be nice if we beat the northerners on our way to winning the Gold Cup :D

USA should beat NTI and STI will dominate Jamaica. Pity that Brendanio isn't there especially with him playing so well for Rangers. Maybe I need a move so the gaffer notices I'm still out there and scoring goals.

Brendanio will feature later int he tournament but I won't say how or when ;)

Brendanio will feature later in the tournament but I won't say how or when ;)

Very interesting.

My money is on me scoring a gig as a guest commentator but who knows, maybe I'll score an extra time winner against NTI in the final. :cool:

I'd still prefer the guest commentary job.

Gregory le Quack - An eventful season for this young goalie saw him leave Sunderland for Derby in search of first team football. he then ditched Derby for Middlesborough as he wanted to be part of a side that was going places. It looked as though the gamble had backfired when Sunderland and Derby took the automatic promotion spots in the Championship but lady luck smiled on the young goalie as he helped the north-eastern club to the Premiership via the play-offs.

I'm glad he's finally getting regular first team action (although that somehow got him dropped from the national team :confused: but he's back as the backup now :D ) but seriously, a keeper with Decisions 17, Handling 17, Reflexes 18 and Jumping 20 should at least average 7 :( at least in the Championship...

We'll easily beat USA and STI :D

2013 Gold Cup: Quarter Finals

U.S.A. v. Northern Treasure Islands

NTI came into this match in good form, whereas the USA were feeling the pressure to perform following their below par performances in World Cup Qualifying and the STI clash in Group B. The Northerners got off to a dream start as they won a corner and Roberto dos Santos rose above the crowd to head it into the back of the net with just 5 minutes on the clock. The Americans were left reeling and NTI took full advantage, launching wave after wave of attacks. They were rewarded with a second goal on 21 minutes as Rebel Israel flicked on a free kick and Ben Roscrow finished it off. NTI carried the 2-0 scoreline into the break, leaving the hosts with a lot of work to do. The USA came out for the second half ready to attack. They broke forward whenever they got the ball but Israel was a rock in the heart of the defence and Jack Harrow produced some fine saves. It all seemed as good as over when NTI hit the USA on the counterattack with just 8 minutes left and scored a third through Arthur White. However, it was not quite over yet as the Northerners relaxed a little too much and their opponents pulled one back with 2 minutes left. They then scored again in the first of 4 minutes of injury time, making for a frantic last three minutes of play during which the Americans hit the post. NTI just about managed to hold on and got the win, which on the balance of play they deserved.

Final Score: U.S.A. 2, Northern Treasure Islands 3 | NTI Player Ratings & Stats

Jamaica v. Southern Treasure Islands

Attention then turned to the second quarter final tie to see if STI would join their Northern rivals in a head-to-head semi final clash. The answer was an emphatic 'yes' as the Southerners dominated the game from start to finish, only allowing their opponents 1 shot on target. Captain Gingerbread's fine tournament continued as he opened the scoring. Bobinho added a second midway through the half and STI were cruising. Despite their dominance, it wasn't until the 84th minute that STI got another goal with Gingerbread applying the finish once again. The rout was completed with three minutes left as substitute Jason de Mire converted from the penalty spot.

Final Score: Jamaica 0, Southern Treasure Islands 4 | STI Player Ratings & Stats

In the other games, Mexico scraped past Panama with a 1-0 win and Honduras and Guatemala went the distance with their match finishing 1-1 after extra time. The Hondurans held their nerve to win the shoot-out and go through to the semis.

Semi Final Draw

Southern Treasure Islands v. Northern Treasure Islands

Honduras v. Mexico

Will it be another triumph for STI? Or can NTI make it two in a row over their rivals?

I didn't play in that game so maybe I will make a super-sub appearance in the semi and score the winner. That or I'll hire Craig Bellamy to take a putter to the legs of the starting strikers, then the boss will play me.

I still would like my player, and I did tell you that i would be on holiday for over a month, So is it possible to keep my player and have an update on his progress.

NTI have to win for my pride more than anything else.

No problem mate. Adam Flash's place wasn't under threat - it's only the people who haven't posted for 2 months+.

I'll get a screenie of his profile and a quick round-up of his season up for you later this evening. :thup:

Oooo, another rivals clash in the Gold Cup Semi's. Time for revenge, 'mon NTI!

Hate to say it but think it will all hinge on Bobinho's form; 41 goals from 50 STI appearances last time I checked, absurd record for a 22 yr old. Lets hope Robert Boyle can get a decent run of games for NTI and match him at some point in the future; lord only knows he deserves a chance given his fine form for Ajax. Also watching with interest at how the Specific - Flash partnership is working out in the NTI midfield; Disappointed to see Peralta usurped from his position but if those two provide better balance then I can live with it.

On the domestic front, Lille miss out on europe again this season. Peralta developing well, lots of 20s, but needs to move up to a stronger league if he's not to stagnate. Comon Real, you know you want him.

Player Profile: Adam Flash

One extra profile to add ;)

Adam Flash - 2 years at Köln for the former Cove Bay star were succesful but not particularly happy. A regular in his first season but a calf muscle injury meant he missed the first three months of this season and struggled to get back into the team, making just 17 appearances. This led to Flash requesting a transfer, which was accepted. Several clubs were interested but Bayern Munich were the side prepared to meet the 7.5mil asking fee. The player made himself popular with the Köln fans though and was inducted into the all-time Best XI despite his decision to leave.

I'll get the Gold Cup semi-final and final reports done tomorrow. Then, for STI at least, it's on to Brazil for the Confederations Cup!

Player Profile: Adam Flash

One extra profile to add ;)

Adam Flash - 2 years at Köln for the former Cove Bay star were succesful but not particularly happy. A regular in his first season but a calf muscle injury meant he missed the first three months of this season and struggled to get back into the team, making just 17 appearances. This led to Flash requesting a transfer, which was accepted. Several clubs were interested but Bayern Munich were the side prepared to meet the 7.5mil asking fee. The player made himself popular with the Köln fans though and was inducted into the all-time Best XI despite his decision to leave.

Glad to see i have a fan base and am going to a team in Europe just as I'm about to go into my prime.

But won't get my hopes up yet.

What time can we expect this update:cool:

Gold Cup 2013 Semi Final Round-Up

Southern Treasure Islands v. Northern Treasure Islands

Date: 05.06.13

Venue: RFK Stadium, Washington DC

For the second tournament in a row, the two fierce rivals met at the semi final stage. STI had come out on top last time but could history repeat itself? Or would NTI's rise continue? The Southerners came out all guns blazing, obviously trying to gain the upper hand as quickly as possible. Jack Harrow was immediately called into action to tip a powerful Captain Gingerbread shot around the post. That set the tone for the rest of the first half as STI came forward again and again with the midfielders pushing up to keep their opponents under pressure and cut off the supply to Boyle and dos Santos up front. NTI managed to hold on until the break, somehow keeping the score at 0-0. The Northerners had a brief moment of supremacy at the start of the second half as Spud and dos Santos went close off a couple of corners. However, the pattern of the first half quickly resumed as NTI couldn't make any breakthrough except for set pieces. Unfortunately for STI, just as in the first half, they couldn't put the ball in the back of the net. Bobinho in particular seemed off form and, when he picked up a knock just after the hour mark, was taken off with Jason de Mire his replacement. The sub immediately went close but Jack Harrow was playing like a man posessed and turned the ball away once more. As the final whistle came closer, STI made every last effort to seal the win with de Mire and Gingerbread both going agonizingly close. But it was not be as, for the first time, a rivals clash went to extra time...

It quickly became clear that NTI would try to keep the ball and take this match all the way to a shoot-out. The legs of the STI players were beginning to tire and their attacks became less frequent. They managed to muster a couple more fine efforts though. Jason de Mire forced Harrow into another good save on 100 minutes and captain David Sunderland also had an effort blocked with just 1 minute remaining. And so the ref blew the final whistle and the dreaded penalty shoot-out began...

1st penalty (STI) - Jason de Mire finally got the better of Jack Harrow as he hit an unstoppable shot into the bottom right corner. 1-0

1st penalty (NTI) - Robert Boyle, despite being completely shut out during the 120 minutes, kept his nerve and cooly slotted home. 1-1

2nd penalty (STI) - Adam Wilkinson hit his shot too close to the keeper, who saved with ease. 1-1

2nd penalty (NTI) - Diego Polo made no mistake to give his side the advantage. 1-2

3rd penalty (STI) - Centre-back Maccaniniho hit the ball straight down the middle. Unfortunately for him, Harrow did not move. 1-2

3rd penalty (NTI) - Spud piled the pressure on STI even further as he sent the keeper the wrong way. 1-3

4th penalty (STI) - Adam Clatworthy had to score to keep STI in the game. He didn't and Jack Harrow was the hero of the day. 1-3

Final Score: Southern Treasure Islands 0, Northern Treasure Islands 0 (a.e.t., NTI win 3-1 on penalties) | STI Player Stats & Ratings | NTI Player Stats & Ratings

NTI opponents in the final will be Mexico, following their 1-0 win over Honduras. STI, meanwhile, still have to play the third-place match.

Gold Cup 2013 Third Place Play-Off

Honduras v. Southern Treasure Islands

STI could have been forgiven for not showing much interest in this game following their semi-final heartbreak. Instead, they came out with a point to prove and proceeded to annihilate their helpless opponents with an outstanding display on attacking football including 43 shots, 20 of which were on target! Captain Gingerbread opened the scoring with a goal which all but assured his place as tournament top scorer. Adam Clatworthy went some way to atoning his penalty miss by scoring a brace before the break to make it 3-0. In the second half, Jason de Mire added a fourth but STI were not done there as the manager brought on Brendanio as a third striker. The Rangers player took his chance well, scoring two goals to make it 6 and leave the STIers wondering what might have been had he appeared in the previous match...

Final Score: Honduras 0, Southern Treasure Islands 6 | STI Player Ratings & Stats

So the STI players would be boarding a plane to Brazil the following day hoping to make for their disappointment here with a good showing at the Confederations Cup.

Gold Cup 2013 Final

Northern Treasure Islands v. Mexico

....and so the biggest day in the short history of NTI football came as they faced off with Mexico in the Gold Cup final. The Northern Souls were outsiders for the game but they could take heart from their previous results against Mexico and focus on the fact that this was just 90 minutes of football - anything could happen. What followed was an incredibly even game. Mexico had the better of the first half as their experience showed up the NTIers nerves. Luckily, Jack Harrow was on form again to keep the scores at 0-0. As the second half progressed, it seemed NTI were able to hold on to the ball well but weren't creating any decent chances. Only McBob and dos Santos managed to go close. Mexico finally broke the dealock in the 74th minute as Carlos Vela broke free of the NTI backline and fired past the goalie to make it 1-0. At that point, the NTI manager finally brought on Robert Boyle, who had been dropped following his ineffectiveness against STI in the semi. The Ajax striker set about proving his manager wrong as he desperately sought a way back into the match for his team. Alas, it was not to be as he forced the Mexican keeper into two good saves. 1-0 it finished and the Northerners were left empty handed.

Final Score: Northern Treasure Islands 0, Mexico 1 | NTI Player Ratings & Stats

Archived