Cove Bay Pirates/STI v. City Merchants/NTI - The Ultimate Rivalry - This Time It's For Real!!!

Who will win the Gold Cup?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Gold Cup?

• Northern Treasure Islands
    • Southern Treasure Islands
    • U.S.A.
    • Mexico
    • Other

The End, Part 1 - The International Rivalry

Over the course of 11 seasons, the Northern and Southern Treasure Islands enjoyed a rivalry that took them from the bottom of the World rankings to the top, from the Caribbean to Holland, from Brazil to Russia. Unlike the rivalry at club level, in which Cove Bay and The Merchants were evenly matched, STI always had the upper hand at international level. In total, these rivals clashed 20 times with STI emerging victorious an emphatic 13 times. NTI managed just 3 wins over their rivals in all that time but perhaps thier greatest victory was technically not a win at all as they defeated their rivals in the 2013 Gold Cup Semi Final on penalties. But then again, STI fans can boast to having done the same thing at the same stage to their rivals twice (2011 and 2015) without the need for penalties plus, greatest of all, their World Cup Semi Final win which propelled them on to lift the trophy!

STI/NTI Head-to-head Results

STI Review

Gold Cup: Winners (2011, 2015); Third placed (2013)

Confederations Cup: Runners up (2013, 2017)

World Cup: Winners (2018); Runners up (2014); Fourth Placed (2010)

Highest World Ranking: 3rd (Sept 2018)

Final World Ranking: 3rd (Jan 2019)

Overall Best XI*

NTI Review

Gold Cup: Winners (2017); Runners up (2013); Third placed (2011, 2015))

World Cup: Third placed (2018); Fourth Placed (2014)

Highest World Ranking: 15th (July 2017)

Final World Ranking: 16th (Jan 2019)

Overall Best XI*

*NOTE: The stats given in the Best XIs do not reflect the full international stats of the players but just there stats for the years in which a Best XI was named (2014-18 for STI, 2016-18 for NTI)

While we are on the subject of Best XIs, these are the Overall Best XIs for the club sides from the last season:

Cove Bay Best XI

Merchants Best XI

Congratulations to Iker Reina, Gus Crazy, Jack Harrow and Pablo Gonzalez, who remained in the fans hearts for all these years. :thup:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The End, Part 2: NTI Legends

Here we are: the long-awaited round up of the NTIers who stuck by their team all (or almost all ;)) of the way, complete with CA (as of January 2019) and PA.

Ben Cee

Final Profile | Career Stats

Medal Collection: Gold Cup (2017); UEFA Cup (2014); Dutch Super Cup (2016, 2017); Dutch Premier League (2017, 2018)

Awards: -

Other Acheivements: Overall Best XI for Mouscron, Gimnastic, Newcastle and NTI; English Premier League Players’ Select XI (2012, 2013)

Future Plans: ‘Definitely not going to remain in football once his playing days are over.’

Bob McBob

Medal Collection: English Premier League (2015, 2016); Community Shield (2016)

Other Acheivements: Overall Best XI for Wolfsburg, Arsenal and NTI; English Premier League Players’ Select XI (2012, 2013)

Future Plans: The player is still focused on his playing career and has no plans beyond that as of yet.

Miltinho

Medal Collection: Gold Cup (2017);German 1st Division (2014, 2015); German League Cup (2015); English Premier League (2016); Community Shield (2016)

Other Acheivements: German 1st Division Team of the Year (2014)

Future Plans: The player is still focused on his playing career and has no plans beyond that as of yet.

Jack Harrow

Medal Collection: Gold Cup (2017); English Championship (2015); English League Cup (2016); Dutch Super Cup (2018)

Other Acheivements: Overall Best XI for Merchants FC, Sunderland and NTI; English Championship Players’ Select XI (2015)

Future Plans: ‘Definitely not going to remain in football once his playing days are over.’

Pablo Gonzalez

Medal Collection: Gold Cup (2017); Community Shield (2017); English Championship (2018); UEFA Cup (2018)

Awards: Charlton Supporters’ Player of the Year (2016, 2017); European Striker of the Year runner up (2018)

Other Acheivements: Overall Best XI for Merchants FC and NTI; Most league goals for Merchants (119 goals); Most league appearances for Merchants FC (214)

Gregory Le Quack

Medal Collection: Gold Cup (2017); FA Cup (2014); Italian Super Cup (2016)

Awards: World Cup Best Goalkeeper 3rd placed (2014, 2018);Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year Runner up (2017, 2018)

Other Acheivements: World Cup Dream Team (2014, 2018); Overall Best XI for Middlesborough, Roma and NTI; English Championship Players’ Select XI (2015)

Mikey Twigge

Medal Collection: Gold Cup (2017); Serie A (2018)

Awards: Spanish Young Player of the Year (2018); Italian Serie A Young Player of the Year 3rd (2017)

Other Acheivements: -

Haowan

Medal Collection: Gold Cup (2017); Spanish Cup (2015); Spanish 1st Division (2017); Spanish Super Cup (2018)

Awards: Dutch Premier Player of the Year (2011); Cove Bay Supporters’ Player of the Year (2011)

Other Acheivements: Champions League Dream Team (2017); Spanish 1st Division Team of the Season (2016)

Like I predicted, Miltinho had a much better club career than international one. A lot of money was thrown out for him and he has played for some top top sides. Ineresting to see he is moving back to Arsenal a couple of years after he moved to Fulham form them!

I see he has also lost that massive Afro he had in his early days! :D

Although Le Quack failed to perform at the very highest level, in the Premier League and for Real Madrid, he won a decent amount of awards and 3 trophies.

He conceded 289 goals in 249 league games, which isn't that bad :)

Thanks for a great signup Dodgee and I hope you do another one soon :thup:

Haowan had a pretty good PA of 185 then,

pretty good career overall,

and its interesting to see that I actually did best at Cove Bay (according to stats)

Great signup DodgeeD, lets hope you start another soon

The End, Part 2: STI World Conquerers

A look at those STIers who followed thier team all the way to the pinnacle of world football.

Brendanio

Medal Collection: World Cup (2018); Dutch Premier Division (2011); Dutch Cup (2009, 2010); Dutch Super Cup (2011); English Premier League (2016); Community Shield (2016)

Awards: Rangers Supporters’ Player of the Year (2013); English Footballer of the Year (2016); Champions League Golden Boot (2017); Champions League Best Player (2017); Confedrations Cup Topscorer (2017); Confederations Cup Best Player (2017)

Other Acheivements: Overall Best XI for PSV, Arsenal & STI; Players’ Premier League Select XI (2016); Champions League Dream Team (2017)

Gus Crazy

Medal Collection: World Cup (2018); Gold Cup (2015); Dutch Cup (2015)

Awards: Dutch Young Player of the Year (2016);Dutch Young Player of the Year runner up (2015);

Other Acheivements: Overall Best XI forCove Bay

Bobinho

Medal Collection: World Cup (2018); Gold Cup (2011, 2015); Spanish Cup (2013, 2016); Spanish 1st Division (2015, 2016); Spansih Super Cup (2015, 2016)

Awards: World Cup Golden Boot runner up (2010);Wolfsburg Supporters’ Player of the Year (2011); World Player of the Year 3rd place (2017); World Player of the Year (2018)

Other Acheivements: Overall Best XI for Wolfsburg & STI; World Cup Dream Team (2014); Spanish 1st Division Team of the Season (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018); All-time topscorer for STI (92 goals)

Jason de Mire

Medal Collection: Gold Cup (2011, 2015)

Awards: Dutch Young Player of the Year (2010); NEC Supporters’ Player of the Year (2010); Confederations Cup Best Player Runner up (2013);

Other Acheivements: Overall Best XI for NEC & STI

Future Plans: ‘Looking to try his hand in management when his playing days are over’

Captain Gingerbeard

Medal Collection: World Cup (2018); Gold Cup (2015); UEFA Cup (2014); English Premier League (2018); Community Shield (2018)

Awards: European Striker of the Year (2014, 2018); European Footballer of the Year (2018); World Player of the Year runner up (2018); English Footballer of the Year runner up (2018); Liverpool Supporters’ Player of the Year (2018)

Other Acheivements: World Cup Dream Team (2014, 2018); English Players’ Premier League Select XI (2018); Overall Best XI for Newcastle & STI

Craig Healy

Medal Collection: World Cup (2018); Gold Cup (2011); Dutch Super Cup (2010)

Awards: European Midfielder of the Year runner up (2018)

Other Acheivements: Overall Best XI for Fiorentina, Man Utd & STI

Heinrich Kroeger

Medal Collection: World Cup (2018); Gold Cup (2011, 2015); Dutch 1st Division (2012)

Awards: Dutch Goalkeeper of the Year runner up (2017); Dutch Goalkeeper of the Year 3rd placed (2014, 2016, 2018)

Other Acheivements: Overall Best XI for Willem II, FC Twente & PSV

Ramiro

Medal Collection: Dutch Super Cup (2010); Italian Super Cup (2016)

Other Acheivements: Overall Best XI for Wigan; Italian Serie A Team of the Year (2018)

Future Plans: ‘Looking into the possibility of taking up a role as an assistant manager once his playing days are over.’

The Stig

Medal Collection: World Cup (2018); Gold Cup (2011, 2015); Spanish 1st Division (2015, 2016); Spanish Super Cup (2015); Spanish Cup (2016); Italian Super Cup (2016)

Awards: FC Twente Supporters’ Player of the Year (2011); European Defender of the Year 3rd placed (2018)

Other Acheivements: World Cup Dream Team (2018);Overall Best XI for FC Twente & STI

So that is pretty much it. :) As I said before, no promises but I may run the game on at some point to see what happens after the players retire from football. I'm especially intirgued to see if Cove Bay and/or STI end up with a mangement team of Jason de Mire & Ramiro ;)

Well hardly a glittering career for Ramiro but 7 goals isn't too bad for a right back, probably more than Gary Neville's got.

Would love to see Ramiro go on to become the national manager, can't see the STI FA giving him the job though, I'll settle for assistant manager.

Great career for Brendanio but it's a pity he didn't reach his full potential. Still, the awards he won and the winning teams he was a part of, more than make up for any missed potential.

Great sign up DodgeeD and good luck with any future sign-ups.

Never reached my full potential :( CA of 163 and PA of 174, Heinrich could have been better but I'd say his career panned out well :)

A World Cup medal, 2 Gold Cup medals and a Dutch Premier Division medal and overall Best XI in 3 teams :thup:

Great work DodgeeD :thup: Hope your next sign up is as interesting and well received.

• 1 month later...

Coming soon.....

What happened next?

Due to recent work commitments, I've had my laptop on a lot as I've been working on Powerpoint presentations but I've also had my FM08 sign-up running in holiday mode on the sly. ;) So far, I've taken the game up to 2027 and I plan to keep it going to 2030 (after the next World Cup). I have a presentation to do at a conference this weekend but after that, I intend to post some details about what happened to the Treasure Island nations following the 2018 World Cup as well as what became of Cove Bay Pirates and Merchants FC.

I will also post any notable acheivements from the players (club competitons won, records broken etc...) For those of you from the sign up who are still interested, I can provide a brief summary of how your player ended his footballing days, but only if you ask nicely. :p

The Treasure Island legend lives on!!!

(This is, of course, all part of a build up to the follow up version so I suggest posting now to secure your place in advance ;)).

Guest mikeytwigge
Username        Player Name
---------------------------
Ridleys         Bobinho
Whoopy D        Ramiro (aka Useless)
el sid          Heinrich Kroeger
mikeytwigge     mikey twigge

Ridleys         Bobinho
ssestig         The Stig

Ridleys         Bobinho
ssestig         The Stig
Haowan          Haowan Madridstas
corinthiano     Miltinho

Even though I went AWOL from the forums whilst this was running I would like to know what happened to Miltinho and reserve a place in your next sign-up. I understand if that's not accepted due to my previous absence though :thup:

While I finalise preparations for the conference this weekend and finish holidaying the game, here are a few questions to get you thinking:

1) Which club side managed to topple Ajax and become the dominant force in Dutch football?

2) Did either club side manage to win trophies in Europe?

3) Were STI able to defend their crown at the 2022 World Cup?

4) Once the superstar players started to retire, were the national sides able to qualify for the 2026 and 2030 World Cups?

5) Which players broke the 200 cap mark?

6) Which players stayed in the game after retiring?

Username Player Name

Ridleys Bobinho

Whoopy D Ramiro (aka Useless)

el sid Heinrich Kroeger

mikeytwigge mikey twigge

ssestig The Stig

Haowan Haowan Madridstas

corinthiano Miltinho

Sj234 Bob mcbob

1) Which club side managed to topple Ajax and become the dominant force in Dutch football? Nti

2) Did either club side manage to win trophies in Europe? no

3) Were STI able to defend their crown at the 2022 World Cup? no

4) Once the superstar players started to retire, were the national sides able to qualify for the 2026 and 2030 World Cups? yes for 2026 no for 2030

5) Which players broke the 200 cap mark? bob mcbob

6) Which players stayed in the game after retiring? I don't know

1) Which club side managed to topple Ajax and become the dominant force in Dutch football? Cove Bay Pirates

2) Did either club side manage to win trophies in Europe? Cove Bay will have won the Uefa Cup

3) Were STI able to defend their crown at the 2022 World Cup? Probably not

4) Once the superstar players started to retire, were the national sides able to qualify for the 2026 and 2030 World Cups? I expect they would without any trouble

5) Which players broke the 200 cap mark? Craig Healy, Bobinho, Captain Gingerbread or The Stig

6) Which players stayed in the game after retiring? Bobinho

Ridleys         Bobinho
ssestig         The Stig
corinthiano     Miltinho
Sj234           Bob mcbob

Would love to have a place in your next sign up if possible and it would be great if I could get the career review for my player (Brendanio) as well.

1) Which club side managed to topple Ajax and become the dominant force in Dutch football? Cove Bay Pirates

2) Did either club side manage to win trophies in Europe? No

3) Were STI able to defend their crown at the 2022 World Cup? Definately

4) Once the superstar players started to retire, were the national sides able to qualify for the 2026 and 2030 World Cups? Yes

5) Which players broke the 200 cap mark? no idea

6) Which players stayed in the game after retiring? no idea, but I doubt Brendanio did

Ridleys         Bobinho
ssestig         The Stig
corinthiano     Miltinho
Sj234           Bob mcbob
BP_Doosra         Brendanio

Hope that worked.