Cove Bay Pirates/STI v. City Merchants/NTI - The Ultimate Rivalry - This Time It's For Real!!!

Who will win the Gold Cup?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Gold Cup?

• Northern Treasure Islands
    • Southern Treasure Islands
    • U.S.A.
    • Mexico
    • Other

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walcott's Wonderkids clearly doesn't understand what bitter rivalry is all about. You don't say well done to your bitter rivals!

icon_wink.gif

Crap jokes aside, I'm a little concerned with our play. We seem to have the "Barcelona-syndrome"...

I'm glad that Le Quack is back in the NTI lineup although he didn't play so well against STI.

And we should beat Peru!

KUTGW icon14.gif

Was thinking about this thread earlier when revising parasitic infections and their increased risk of contracting STIs...

Anyhoo, only 3 shots against STI and 5 against USA isn't particularly good..

Originally posted by Whitehead:

KUTGW, can i ask whats happened to Adam Flash - dropped?

He missed the USA and Jamaica games with a stubbed toe. He is fully fit and in the squad for the last two qualifiers though. icon14.gif

Originally posted by tommywright:

What happen to Wrighty mate ??

Wrighty suffered strained ankle ligaments early in the season and missed the August/September internationals. He's also back in the squad for the October matches. icon14.gif

Originally posted by route1:

Was thinking about this thread earlier when revising parasitic infections and their increased risk of contracting STIs...

That's the thing about STIs - they pop up everywhere icon_biggrin.gif (even when you're not expecting it icon_wink.gif)

Originally posted by AB-forever:

Walcott's Wonderkids clearly doesn't understand what bitter rivalry is all about. You don't say well done to your bitter rivals!

icon_wink.gif

Crap jokes aside, I'm a little concerned with our play. We seem to have the "Barcelona-syndrome"...

I'm glad that Le Quack is back in the NTI lineup although he didn't play so well against STI.

And we should beat Peru!

KUTGW icon14.gif

Haha, yeah but the lack of Int appearances for Trevor Tobago makes him more of a neutral than most. icon_razz.gif

Belated Club/Country Update: New Signings and Promising Regens

Thanks to those of you who gave me feedback on my earlier question about the new talent at the rival clubs. icon_smile.gif From now on, I will do this update at the start of each season but this first time, it's being done in October (game time). From the Merchants and Cove Bay, I've chosen the most promising signings as well as the best performer (who isn't part of the sign-up) from the past season.

Here are the best new signings:

Kyle Long (Cove Bay Pirates) - this American left-sided defender was brought in from the MLS over the summer. So far, he seems like a bargain at 275k as he has made the left-back slot his own. At just 22, he has the potential to develop into a world-class player. Also, he hasn't been given a full cap yet so there's always a chance he could end up turning out for STI. icon_wink.gif

Bernardo (Capital City Merchants) - this youngster was brought in from Brazil over the summer and he looks like a player with great potential. He has performed well so far and I'm sure NTI fans will be hoping he becomes a citizen before he gets capped for Brazil. icon14.gif

These players were signed last year and have proved invaluable to their respective teams so far:

Hernan Losada (Cove Bay) - this Argentine was relatively unknown when he came to the Pirates but has shown his worth in the centre of the park and has carried his good form into this season. It seems unlikely that he will ever represent Argentina and he will be eligible for STI citizenship at the end of the season - it will be interesting to see whether he takes it or not.

Peter Jungschlager (Capital City Merchants) - another player who hardly caused great excitement when he was signed but he has become an intergral part of the Merchants midfield as evidenced by his 6 assists in 7 starts this season.

As for the regens, the players who have come through the rival clubs to date, they have been mostly disappointing despite the world class youth facilites and academies on offer. Most of the first batch have just been released and this season's lot don't look that great either. icon_frown.gif

However, there are more sources of young Treasure Islander talent. When creating the database, I overwrote Surinam and Netherlands Antilles in order to create the new nations. Those countries each had non-active teams, most of which I renamed, gave top youth facillites to and made feeder clubs to the Merchants and Cove Bay. There are only 8 clubs like this for each nation (16 in total) and they have produced only a handful of regens but the quality seems to be a bit better. Allow me to introduce them:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Northern Treasure Islands Domestic Clubs

Real El Dorado

The City

Hoarders

Gold FC

Powerhouse FC

Stock City

Offshore Traders Utd

Microsoft FC

Southern Treasure Islands Domestic Clubs

The Bucaneers

Los Wages

Blackbeard Raiders

MGM Grand FC

Jolly Roger FC

Timbers United

Robin Hood*

House Of Billiards*

*These clubs were not named by me - they are in the database as real-life Surinamese clubs!</pre>

Cove Bay and The Merchants both have first option deals on the clubs from their respective nations (although neither team has made use of this yet - in fact, the Merchants have cancelled their link with 4 of those clubs...) There are three players who look particulrly promising and hopefully they will be picked up by active clubs soon:

Joep Beukers (AMC) - this young STI national is currently on the books at MGM Grand FC and looks like he has all the hallmarks of a quality AMC.

Martijn van der Berg (DRLC) - this Southern youngster has come through the ranks at Robin Hood and can play anywhere in defence. His stats at first glance don't seem that great but Jacob's scouts think he has great potential.

Ad Stam (GK) - the best looking prospect from the Northern side of the Islands. Unfortunately, Merchants have cancelled their feeder club arrangemnt with his current team, Powerhouse FC but hopefully he will be picked up before he decides to quit the game.

Originally posted by corinthiano:

Agree, very good idea with the feeder clubs icon14.gif

Just hope these regens dont threaten Miltinho's eventual place in the National team icon_wink.gif

I didn't mention it at the start as I thought I should see if it bears fruit first. Don't worry about Miltinho - he's a part of the NTI squad already; he just hasn't been selected for the matchday squad yet.

One other thing I forgot to mention above: just to make things interesting, I set the time to gain nationality for both sides of the Islands to two years. This should mix things up a bit with some of those young Brazilians and Africans hopefully becoming eligible beore they get capped for their home country. icon_wink.gif

October 2009 Update: North American World Cup Qualifying, Final Phase

I'll start off with those STIs:

Jamaica v. Southern Treasure Islands

Here was yet another game in which STI could affect their rival's chances of qualification for the World Cup - Jamaica were still in with a chance of taking that play-off spot whereas STI were already guaranteed their spot in South Africa. After the Honduras controversy, many Northern Islanders felt pessimistic that their Southern rivals would not put in much of an effort against the Jamaicans. An early goal from the home team appeared to confirm suspicions. However, it seems the STI boys were a bit put out by such remarks questioning their integrity and they qucikly stormed into a 3-1 lead courtesy of goals from The Stig, Adam Wilkinson and Captain Gingerbread. STI continued to dominate the play and added a 4th just before the hour mark through Craig Healy. As the match drew to a close, all accusations looked to have been emphatically disproven. And yet the STI boys did cause some late drama for the NTI boys as they conceded two goals late on as Jamaica frantically sought to keep their hopes alive. The equaliser was not to be though as STI held on for the win.

Final Score: Jamaica 3 Southern Treasure Islands 4

STI Ratings & Stats

Southern Treasure Islands v. USA

This game took on the atmosphere of a friendly as both teams had secured qualification and the Americans had already made certain they would top the group. STI still had a point to prove as well as that Gold Cup semi-final defeat to avenge. The first half played out farily eventlessly and the game remained that way until an Elliot Druce foul gave the Americans a penalty whcih gave them the lead. STI responded with an ispired substitution as Jason de Mire was brought on. Within 7 minutes he had levelled the scores and he wasn't finished there. In the dying seconds, he broke through on goal but when he could have shot, he played the ball into Adam Clatworthy's path and the midfielder made no mistake as STI grabbed the win.

Final Score: Southern Treasure Islands 2 USA 1

STI Ratings & Stats

So, NTI's fate was in their own hands as a win in either of their final games would secure the play-off spot.

Northern Treasure Islands v. Cuba

NTI had every right to feel confident as they took on Cuba at home. Their confidence was not misplaced either as Arthur White gave them the lead following fine work from Bob McBob. The lead was doubled just before halftime as Theo Henry Gooner scored his first goal for his country by heading home a Ryca Roseau cross. The central defender was not finished there as NTI were awarded a penalty in the second half and the Blackburn player stepped up to score his second of the match and of his international career! It was quite a day for Gooner as he matched his two goals with an impressive defensive display as Cuba were restricted to just two shots on goal. A highly deserved MoM award as NTI guaranteed their play-off spot. icon14.gif

Final Score: Northern Treasure Islands 3 Cuba 0

NTI Ratings & Stats

Northern Treasure Islands v. Honduras

In the end, the match which seemed as if it would be crucial meant nothing more than the chance to gain some world ranking points. And yet, the opening exchanges were frantic as both teams sought to end the group campaign on a high. Adam Flash gave NTI the lead but it only lasted three minutes as Honduras made a quick reply. Both teams had their chances and it was the Hondurans who took the lead just before the half hour mark. NTI didn't lose their momentum and Roseau scored an equaliser on the stroke of halftime. The second half was a quieter affair with NTI creating the better chances and Arthur White put them back in front on 66 minutes. A mere three minutes later there was drama at the other end as Honduras were given a penalty. Gregory Le Quack, back in the national side after a long period on the sidelines, was the hero of the hour as he stopped the shot to keep the score at 3-2.

Final Score: Northern Treasure Islands 3 Honduras 2

NTI Ratings & Stats

This is how the final table looked:

World Cup Qualifying North American Section Fianl Phase

An impressive campaign for STI, who were undefeated in the group. NTI finished only 2 points behind Honduras in the end and I'm sure they will be ruing the fact the only got 1 point from the 4 games against STI and USA.

So, who will NTI's play-off opponents be? Well, there was drama in the final rounds of South American qualifying too as Peru won 2 and drew 1 of their last 3 games to snatch the last automatic spot. Colombia were in great danger of missing out all together but they just pipped Chile to the play-off spot on goal difference.

Wolrld Cup Qualifying South American Section Table

So, Colombia stand between NTI and trhe chance to join their rivals in the World Cup Finals. Those games will be played in November.

After all those international updates, I thought I'd better let everyone see how their respective clubs are getting on. icon_smile.gif

End of October Update (Part 1): European Leagues

Here are all the leagues our players are currently involved in:

Dutch Premier Division - I'm sure the first thing that grabs your attention here is the performance of Cove Bay Pirates. A complete turnaround when compared to last year. icon14.gif Merchants are doing well if not spectacularly so in mid-table. Could this be down to Cove Bay keeping more of the original players who are now beginning to fufill their potential? Of the other teams with Treasure Islanders on their books, PSV are up at the top as expected (although our players there are still struggling to break into the first team set-up). FC Twente, AZ and Roda JC seem to be performing better this tie round with their new signings although NEC and Feyenoord are not doing quite as well as last season.

Dutch First Division - Heinrich Kroeger's new club, Willem II, are doing well and immediately secured their play-off spot by winning the opening period.

German Budesliga - Dortmund have decided to play Nathaniel Ball regularly this season and are seeing the benfits as they sit top of the table and look set to qualify from their Champions League Group. General Specific's new side Nürnberg are doing well as are Wrighty's Schalke. Hertha Berlin and Wolfsburg are not performing too well at present and Gingerbread and Druce are really struggling as their teams, Köln and Bochum respectively, are in the bottom 3.

English Premier League - Liverpool are right up there this season. Spud was playing in the first team before being struck down with a mystery virus. Sunderland are performing above expectations. Although Le Quack has yet to make his debut, he is now the no. 2 behind Robert Enke, who could be on his way out in January. Gooner has settled well at Blackburn, who are performing well in the top half.

French Ligue 1 - France is a new destination for the Treasure Islanders this year. At present, Roscrow's St. Etienne are doing well as are Dirtihno's Nice (even though he isn't playing regularly). Israel's new side Auxerre are struggling more but are clear of the relegation zone.

Belgian First Division - after being a popular destinatin for Islanders last season, there are only two of our players left in Belgium. Roberto dos Santos is one of the few players who can score at AA Gent while Genk's decision not to play Polo on a regular basis seems to be costing them.

Player stats for the domestic season so far to come tomorrow along with status updates. icon14.gif

Heinrich Kroeger's new club, Willem II, are doing well and immediately secured their play-off spot by winning the opening period.

woohoo, finally some light at the end of the tunnel icon_biggrin.gif

STI for the World Cup 2010 !!

kutgw !

Brendanio doing well in his international appearances and PSV doing well in the league, hopefully with Brendanio making a few appearances.

Good to see a few decent regens and signings to ensure both clubs maintain their Premier Division status.

Colombia should be easy to beat icon_biggrin.gif

Le Quack didn't play to well against Honduras but apparently saved the day in the dying seconds icon14.gif

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

English Premier League - Sunderland are performing above expectations. Although Le Quack has yet to make his debut, he is now the no. 2 behind Robert Enke, who could be on his way out in January.

Eagerly waiting for Enke to **** off icon_biggrin.gif maybe he'll even get some Champions League playing time icon14.gif

Beginning to think Rebel Israel is a jinx. He loses his spot in the national teams First XI and they storm to qualify, a year in Belgium sees his squad finish disappointingly mid-table, and now his new French side is struggling in the bottom reaches of Ligue 1. Maybe Tottenham will buy him and he get them relegated next. icon_smile.gif

Here's hoping we can vanquish those pesky Colombians in the fall.

End of October 2009 Update: The Players

As promised, here are the domestic stats for the opening quarter of the season. icon_smile.gif (ranked by appearances)

The regular first teamers

The super-subs and bench warmers

And here's a round up of all the status icons:

Wanted Players

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Player Wanted By

Gwilym J. James Sunderland

Maccaniniho Blackburn

Roberto dos Santos Strasbourg

Wrighty Hamburg SV

Ryca Roseau Dortmund & Portsmouth

Robert Boyle Heerenveen, Anderlecht & AC Milan

Juan Carlos Saint-Etienne

Eduaddo AC Milan

Bob McBob Ajax, Newcastle & Portsmouth

Craig Healy Ajax</pre>

Injuries

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Player Injury Out for

Spud Virus 2 more weeks

Cabinboy Pendros Broken Ankle 1 month

Rebel Israel Strained Wrist 1 week

Ben Roscrow Sprained Ankle 2 weeks to a month

Emilio Peralta Torn Calf 2 months

Pablo Gonzaléz Calf Strain 1 week</pre>

Grumpy moaners icon_razz.gif

Eduaddo, Craig Healy and Bob McBob all want to move to a bigger club.

Next update: just days ahead of NTI's World Cup play-off, the attention of the Treasure Island residents will be on Capital City Stadium as City Merchants and Cove Bay clash once more. icon14.gif

It could just be me being blind but I think Miltinho isnt on the list. Shame he isnt wanted by anyone, I dont want to rot in the PSV reserves!!

Hopefully we can beat the Colombians, come on NTI!!

Sorry about that. icon_frown.gif Just realised myself. I'll give you an extra bonus profile shot to make up for it. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by corinthiano:

It could just be me being blind but I think Miltinho isnt on the list. Shame he isnt wanted by anyone, I dont want to rot in the PSV reserves!!

Hopefully we can beat the Colombians, come on NTI!!

Sorry about that. icon_frown.gif Just realised myself. I'll give you an extra bonus profile shot to make up for it. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a deal! icon_wink.gif

Dont worry about it, I got a Profile Screenie, so am more than happy icon_biggrin.gif

Miltinho has been extremely effective only played in 2 cup games, but scored 2 goals and have a 100% Shot Efficiency!! Still at the U19's hopefully that will change after another couple of impressive cup performances.

Dont worry about it, I got a Profile Screenie, so am more than happy icon_biggrin.gif

Miltinho has been extremely effective only played in 2 cup games, but scored 2 goals and have a 100% Shot Efficiency!! Still at the U19's hopefully that will change after another couple of impressive cup performances.

I noticed Miltinho and Trevor Tobago looked to have made an impressive impact in the cup but were still not being picked for the first team. Closer investigation revealed that PSV Reserves are also allowed into the cup and that is where those games and goals came from. Still, it counts as a competitive match. icon14.gif

sorry i haven't posted in a while but, work has been hell and heroes has been on.

good to see dirtihno back on the full international scene a little. but it's a shame about going on loan. Nice just don't see his potential. but a new contract at the merchants after a fine season with them, but hardly the highest paid player. ah well, the future's bright...

one missed pen for me but scored against jamaica. how am i settling in at fc twente and congrats in order for all us sti's. good luck to the nti's in their play-off - before anyone accuses me of being a turncoat i just want to beat them at the world cup. kutgw.

Before I go off on a rant - could you tell me whether Trevor Tobago's sole appearance was for the PSV 1st team please?! icon_smile.gif

As if so, 1 appearance - score a hattrick from right mid and get MoM and then they don't play me again?!?!!

arrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhh icon_rolleyes.gif

Great updates, KUTGW icon14.gif

ps: Hope NTI can overcome Colombia, won't be easy though. Should have enough quality to give them 2 decent games!!!

Originally posted by Walcott's Wonderkids:

Before I go off on a rant - could you tell me whether Trevor Tobago's sole appearance was for the PSV 1st team please?! icon_smile.gif

As if so, 1 appearance - score a hattrick from right mid and get MoM and then they don't play me again?!?!!

arrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhh icon_rolleyes.gif

Great updates, KUTGW icon14.gif

ps: Hope NTI can overcome Colombia, won't be easy though. Should have enough quality to give them 2 decent games!!!

Same as Miltinho I'm afraid. Tobago starred in a 7-1 thrashing of some amateur team in the cup but it was for PSV Reserves. He's still listed for loan but no takers at the moment...

As for The Stig, he's settling in just fine. You can see all the stats a few posts up in the player update. icon_wink.gif

icon13.gif I scored but we still lost to those dirty Southerners!

icon13.gif Lost to the USA.

icon13.gif Shutout by Jamaica. Come on guys!

icon14.gif Crushed Cuba, and I'm the captain icon_biggrin.gif

icon14.gif Big win over Honduras, and I scored icon_smile.gif

icon13.gif Have to face Colombia icon_frown.gif

icon13.gif Cove Bay beating the Merchants in the table icon_frown.gif

icon13.gif Hertha in mid table

icon14.gif I'm a first teamer icon_biggrin.gif

icon14.gif Wanted by a couple of decent teams. I'm sure Wisla would love to see me go to Portsmouth icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by el sid:

spartans5

Hey what do you reply when you get the media message saying " Are you interested in signing XXX ?" since all the created stars are in your shortlist ?

I think you got your threads tangled. icon_wink.gif Anyway, at first, as I holiday through the seasons, all of those news items were answered automatically as 'no comment'. This season I found the way round it - I empitied the default shortlist and put all the sign-up players onto a new list I saved under a different name. Under the options I deselected it as an active shortlist so there are now no transfer rumours. icon14.gif

I'll give an update tonight on the first Merchants/Cove Bay clash of the season, followed by NTIs play-off with Colombia. Predicitions please!

Originally posted by el sid:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I think you got your threads tangled.

Yeah I did, messed it up with African striker competetion icon_frown.gif

Sorry mate, probably just sleepy or too drunk icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No worries - I'm often both icon_biggrin.gif

Archived