Cove Bay Pirates/STI v. City Merchants/NTI - The Ultimate Rivalry - This Time It's For Real!!!

Who will win the Gold Cup?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Gold Cup?

• Northern Treasure Islands
    • Southern Treasure Islands
    • U.S.A.
    • Mexico
    • Other

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cove Bay Pirates v. City Merchants FC - Dutch Premier Division

Date: 18.10.08

Venue: World's End

So here it was - the first match up of the season between these two rivals with the added punch of being a top flight game. Both sides had had patchy starts to the season but were improving. Cove Bay still languished in 17th but confidence amongst the STI boys would be high following their international exploits. The Merchants sat 5 places and 4 points above the Pirates and would be looking to extend their lead. One remarkable thing before the game was the influx of non-Islanders to the teams. Merchants in particular, with all the summer transfer activity, only had three of last season's team playing. Cove Bay had fewer changes with 7 of last year's squad in the first XI. Would the neew boys fail to realise the importance and level of the rivalry? Or would they rise above the emotional factor and calmly win the game?

How they lined up

1st half

The match started off slowly with the newbies on either side finding their feet in the red-hot atmosphere. Tensions started to boil over as a bad challenge by Alfonso da Silva Santos coupled with an awkward fall caused Craig Healy to strechered off with knee ligament damage. This put the fighting spirit into Cove Bay and new boy Beukering opened the scoring on 33 minutes. It was quite an open game but neither side were on target much and the first 45 minutes ended with the score at 1-0.

2nd half

The Merchants came out determined not to lose to the Pirates again. Cove Bay had other ideas and frustrated their opponents by keeping hold of the ball and restricting them to long range shots, most of which missed the target. The heads of the Capital City side dropped when Tim Jansen, another Cove Bay new signing, doubled the lead with a well-hit free kick. After that, City Merchants were unable to mount any kind of challenge and Cove Bay enjoyed another win over their rivals.

Final Score: Cove Bay Pirates 2 City Merchants FC 0

Cove Bay Ratings & Stats

Merchants Ratings & Stats

Heinrich Kroeger is back in full training but lacking match fitness.

Rebel Israel has started 8 times for Club Brugge so far with 1 goal to his credit. Brugge are currently 9th in the league.

route1 - I will give profile screenies of all players with a mini update at the end of each season. I will also post screenies of club/international stats plus the relevant league tables mid-season. Apart fromt that, I will mention anything of intrest that occurs as we go through the season.

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

Heinrich Kroeger is back in full training but lacking match fitness.

Rebel Israel has started 8 times for Club Brugge so far with 1 goal to his credit. Brugge are currently 9th in the league.

route1 - I will give profile screenies of all players with a mini update at the end of each season. I will also post screenies of club/international stats plus the relevant league tables mid-season. Apart fromt that, I will mention anything of intrest that occurs as we go through the season.

Cool. Cheers for lettin us know!

sorry for the double post. unused sub in the derby, no wonder we lost.

also, can i have a screenshot of my player (the stig). when is the next international game. kutgw.

October/November Update: Clubs

Cove Bay Pirates

Despite the win mid-October against their rivals, Cove Bay's form has not improved. In fact, they have not won since that clash. The best result managed in the last 6 weeks was a 0-0 draw at high-flying Feyenoord. On a brighter note, the Pirates are through to the 4th round of the cup after a 2-0 away win against Go Ahead Eagles. Heerenveen are up next.

Capital City Merchants FC

The Merchants only fared slightly better than their bitter rivals as they picked up a solitary league win against ADO Den Haag. There were also a couple of impressive draws as they held defending champions Roda JC to a 2-2 draw away and were very unlucky not to beat Feyenoord at home. Pablo Gonzaléz looked to have given the Merchants the win but a late late Roy Makaay goal meant they had to settle for a 1-1 draw instead.

Ducth Premier League Table (End of Novemebr 2008)

Cove Bay's plight doesn't look to good at the moment. Only the dismal form of Heracles keeps them off bottom spot. The Merchants are 4 points clear of the relegation play-off zone but have to be aware that one slip up will drag them right into it.

October/November 2008 Update: Rivals Watch

There were afew matches involving NTI and STI players on opposing teams:

- Brendanio (STI) celebrated scoring his fist goal for PSV and who better to break his duck against than old rival club Capital City Merchants. icon_biggrin.gif That was the opening goal as PSV secured a 2-0 win.

- Ben Cee (NTI) was on hand to help new club Mouscron beat Rtik Carlos-Powell (STI) 's Standard Liege team in the Belgian Premier Division. Rtik also came head-to-head with former Merchant Rebel Israel as Standard eanred a point against genk.

- Ryca Roseau & Cabinboy Pendros (NTI) started as Hertha Berlin took a point off a Dortmund side featuring STI's Nathaniel Ball. Indeed, Roseau grabbed the equaliser.

Player News

These Treasure Islanders have made the back pages recently:

Injuries

Adam Flash (Cove Bay) is out for 2 weeks with a pulled hamstring. A similar injury is keeping Trevor Tobago (PSV) on the sidelines.

Craig Healy (Cove Bay) has resumed light training after straining his knee ligaments.

Transfer rumours

With only a few weeks until the transfer window opens, interest has been registered in the following players:

- Alfonso da Silva Santos (Merchants) is wanted by AZ.

- Ramiro (Cove Bay) is also attracting AZ's attention as well as that of Bundesliga side Nürnberg.

- Eduaddo (Cove Bay) could be another Islander to head to Belgium as Genk are after his signature.

There's is bound to be more activity as the transfer window period comes and goes but that will be dealt with in the mid-season update. icon_wink.gif

Other news

- It seems life in Germany is not easy for Treasure Islanders to adapt to as General Specific (Leverkusen) and Cabinboy Pendros (Herha Berlin) have told the media they are not settling in in their new surroundings. It's not all bad for Pendros though as he had the honour of becoming the first Islander, North or South, to feature in Europen competiton when he lined up for Hertha Berlin in the UEFA Cup. icon14.gif

- Brendanio (PSV) appears to have had a dispute with his manager as he told the press he felt the gaffer was too harsh with his criticisms at halftime.

- Dirtihno (Merchants) has been playing well recently after a run in the first team. His total appearances for the season now stand at 11 with 2 goals and an average rating of 7.09 for the left winger.

Originally posted by macca69:

I see im out of the limelight since my move.

icon_frown.gif

Oh contrare!

Maccaniniho has fitted in extremely well at Feyenoord playing 7 games so far and with 1 goal and 1 MoM award to his credit. Average rating 7.18

this was the situation in Spetember and it continues as such with Maccaniniho established in the feyenoord first team and playing agaimst former club Cove Bay and old rivals City Merchants.

rtik-1-one - Rtik Carlos-Powell has been a regular so far for Standard making 6 starts.

Im a beat late but yay...

Ben Cee (NTI) was on hand to help new club Mouscron beat Rtik Carlos-Powell (STI)

Darn you Ben Cee

And also how far into the future do you think your comp can handle the game?

Originally posted by rtik-1-one:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">rtik-1-one - Rtik Carlos-Powell has been a regular so far for Standard making 6 starts.

Im a bit late but yay...

Ben Cee (NTI) was on hand to help new club Mouscron beat Rtik Carlos-Powell (STI)

Darn you Ben Cee

And also how far into the future do you think your comp can handle the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spelling mistake... sorry for 2x Posting

I don't know really... I've got a normal game on the go with top European leagues running all the way up to 2020 with no problems. icon14.gif Plenty of hard disk space for the save file too so I think this can run as long as there is interest. icon14.gif

Posted 11 April 2008 20:09 Hide PostReply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post

quote:

Originally posted by macca69:

I see im out of the limelight since my move.

Frown

Oh contrare!

quote:

Maccaniniho has fitted in extremely well at Feyenoord playing 7 games so far and with 1 goal and 1 MoM award to his credit. Average rating 7.18

this was the situation in Spetember and it continues as such with Maccaniniho established in the feyenoord first team and playing agaimst former club Cove Bay and old rivals City Merchants.

Yeah!!! That is good news.

Just wandering if ill ever be able to download this icon_smile.gif

- Brendanio (STI) celebrated scoring his fist goal for PSV and who better to break his duck against than old rival club Capital City Merchants. That was the opening goal as PSV secured a 2-0 win.

BUT

- Brendanio (PSV) appears to have had a dispute with his manager as he told the press he felt the gaffer was too harsh with his criticisms at halftime.

Great updates for Brendanio as I got a goal against the Merchants and I started that game as well. Also if I'm starting to criticize my manager then I'm guessing it means that I'm established enough to warrant an opinion which is good to see. If not then it could mean a transfer away and consequently more first team football.

KUTGW

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

- Ryca Roseau & Cabinboy Pendros (NTI) started as Hertha Berlin took a point off a Dortmund side featuring STI's Nathaniel Ball. Indeed, Roseau grabbed the equaliser.

It takes 2 Northerners to get a point off of 1 southerner icon_wink.gif

November 2008 Update: Internationals

North American World Cup Qualifying, Second Phase

The Southern half of the Islands went into the final round of matches secure in the knowledge they had qualified for the final phase. The Northerners, on the other hand, had it all to play for as a win would see them through. Anything less and their World Cup dreams would have to wait till 2014....

STI's match against Honduras was a formality. Honduras had also already qualified so they were just looking to avenge their defeat in the first match up. But it was to be the Southern Treasure Islands' day again as they raced into a 3-1 halftime lead courtesy of a Captain Gingerbread brace and a Brendanio strike. honduras made it 3-2 in the second half but it was too little, too late.

Game 6 Final Score: Honduras 2 Southern Treasure Islands 3

STI Ratings & Stats (Game 6)

Over to Capital City then for the crunch tie between Northern Treasure Islands and Canada. Rob Friend had broken NTI hearts with a hat-trick in the first match between these two so NTI responded by breaking his ankle with a horrendous challenge by <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> [a player who has so far failed to post in this thread] </pre>, who was strangely not cautioned. Adam Flash then scored a vital goal to put NTI in the driving seat. The Northern Islanders then set up camp in defence for the remaining 81 minutes and tried to soak up the pressure from the Canadians. It was a risky strategy but it worked as their opponents were frustrated several times by a sturdy defense and the safe hands of Jack Harrow. Scenes of jubilation greeted the final whistle as NTI booked a place along side their rivals in the final group phase!

Game 6 Final Score: NorthernTreasure Islands 1 Canada 0

NTI Ratings & Stats (Game 6)

Second Phase Review

This is how the second phase ended:

North American World Cup Qualifying Phase Two Final Tables

A perfect round for STI then as they topped their group with maximum points and must be considered one of the favourites for qualification along with the U.S.A., who also domianted their groups. Honduras and Cuba also had relatively comfortable rides to the final phase but will do well to get through. Group C was a much tighter affair though as incredibly the teams placed 3rd and 4th going into the final day managed to grab the top two spots! NTI rode their luck a little but held their nerve at the vital moment. They will have to be less defensive in the final round to get through though. That said, with the 4th placed team going into a play-off, they have a good chance of geting through the group. icon14.gif

Friendlies

Both Island teams followed up their qualifying success with a pair of friendlies. Puerto Rico took on both sides of the Islands but were soundly beaten both times, going down 3-0 to STI at World's End and losing 2-0 at home to NTI. The Northerners also took on St Pierre & Miquelon, who aren't even full members of FIFA but they made hard work of it as they only managed a 1-0 win. STI had a much more prestigious match as they travelled to Calgiari to take on reigning world champions Italy. They couldn'y pull of the upset this time as they went down 3-0.

2008 International Review

With no more international fixtures until February 2009, it's a good time to review how the Islanders got on with a few screenies. icon_smile.gif

Southern Treasure Islands

A great year for STI as they stormed through World Cup Qualifying and got one over their Northern Rivals. Those great performances on the pitch saw them shoot up the world rankings, peaking at 65th but dropping slightly to 72nd come the year's end. Not bad for a team who were ranked 205th 18 months ago!

2008 Results (STI)

STI Information Screen

STI Rankings Graph

Northern Treasure Islands

NTI didn't have such a comfortable time and rode their luck a great deal, first of all to get past Mexico and then to scrape through their group on the last day. Nonetheless, they survived and will start the final phase of qualifying on equal terms with everyone else. Their rise up the ranlings has been slower due to fewer wins recorded but they reached a milestone with the win over Canada as it enabled the boys from the North to break into the top 100 as they took 99th on the list.

2008 Results (NTI)

NTI Information Screen

NTI Rankings Graph

The Players

As for the players, these are the caps earned so far:

Southern Treasure Islands Accumulated Caps

Northern Treasure Islands Accumulated Caps

* If your name doesn't appear, it probably means you haven't been posting. icon_wink.gif

2009 Preview

It's going to be a busy year as both nations will play ten more qualifying matches leaving no time for friendlies at all. That also means the Northern and Southern Rivals will go head-to-head competitively for the first time in the internatinal arena. What could raise the tension higher than playing with a World Cup place at stake? First rivals clash coming in March. icon_cool.gif

****BREAKING NEWS*****

STI were also due to take on NTI in a friendly game at the start of June. This match has now been cancelled as.... Southern Treasure Islands have been invited to participate in the Gold Cup!!! Their meteoric rise up the rankings and dominance in the World Cup Qualifiers earned them a spot in the continental championships (NTI are still checking their post box alas...)

2009 Gold Cup First Round Draw

Honduras and Guatemala will provide familiar opposition while the Americans will be a tougher proposition. Still, I think STI can make the quarter finals.

I've holidayed through to the end of January 2009 and I'll be posting updates on how the rivals are doing in Holland as well as the current club situation for the players soon (hopefully on Sunday). icon14.gif

Looking good for Brendanio with a goal against Honduras and 5 goals in 10 games overall for STI. Valued at 1.2 mil which is good but my player has slight concern which I'm guessing is due to something at club level, could have something to do with me speaking out against the PSV manager icon_wink.gif

Archived