[FM11] Cristoval Alvarez vs South America

iseemonsters1

Game Setup: 11.1 Patch, Medium database

Leagues Loaded: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Uruguay

Start Date: July 2010

If you're new to the thread: For those new readers who don't want to have to read through every single post to get up to speed, you can catch up on the story so far in the handy overview in the 2nd post - where there's a paragraph giving the story of each season and links to all the relevant posts if you want to find out more!

It's the FM11 return of my football management alter-ego, 27 year old Uruguayan Cristoval Alvarez. You might remember him from such threads as "Travelling Into The Unknown" and "Cristoval Alvarez Attempts to Take Over The World!".

I've travelled the world with Cristoval, but I've never made a splash in his home continent of South America, and never in all my time playing FM have I won the Copa Libertadores (that I can remember at least!). Hopefully that will change in this game, as my ultimate goal is to overtake Guillermo Stabile at the top of the South American Hall of Fame (I know the Hall of Fame doesn't mean that much but still - you've got to have something to aim for!). I've loaded up all the South American leagues that are included in the game plus an Ecuador file, since I have a soft spot for that league after a game with the Ecuadorian Barcelona last year. I'm missing Bolivia, Paraguay, and Venezuela from a complete South American game, but I couldn't find a file that was really satisfying for any of those countries. Between Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Uruguay, I should have plenty of opportunity to build a career before moving to the big two leagues.

Reputation is automatic and of course I'm starting unemployed.

Career Summary

Year        Club               Country       League                Position   Notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010        Cesar Vallejo      Peru          Premier Division      4th        -    
2011        Cesar Vallejo      Peru          Premier Division      2nd        League champions through playoff
2012        Cesar Vallejo      Peru          Premier Division      -          Resigned on March 20th
2011/12     Defensor Sporting  Uruguay       Primera Division      2nd        Appointed on March 25th
2012/13     Defensor Sporting  Uruguay       Primera Division      1st        League champions
2013/14     Defensor Sporting  Uruguay       Primera Division      1st        League champions
2014/15     Defensor Sporting  Uruguay       Primera Division      1st        League champions, Resigned July 1st
2015        Colo Colo          Chile         Primera Division      1st        Appointed July 1st, Closing Stage champions
2016        Colo Colo          Chile         Primera Division      1st        Resigned July 20th
2016        Flamengo           Brazil        Serie B               1st        Serie B Champions, Promoted
2017        Flamengo           Brazil        Serie A               4th

Career Stats

Season       Club               GP  W   D   L   GF   GA   GD      Earnings    Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010         Cesar Vallejo      24  17  5   2   50   23  +27      £40k        Appointed July 19th 2010
2011         Cesar Vallejo      50  30  13  7   88   43  +45      £110k
2012         Cesar Vallejo      7   4   2   1   9    7   +2       £20k        Resigned on March 20th
2011/12      Defensor Sporting  14  7   5   2   25   13  +12      £70k        Appointed on March 25th
2012/13      Defensor Sporting  41  27  8   6   66   29  +37      £110k
2013/14      Defensor Sporting  53  35  13  5   89   36  +53      £150k
2014/15      Defensor Sporting  43  27  7   9   76   33  +43      £175k       Resigned on July 1st
2015         Colo Colo          29  17  10  2   55   25  +30      £125k       Appointed on July 1st
2016         Colo Colo          38  23  8   7   74   35  +39      £125k       Resigned on July 20th
2016         Flamengo           32  21  9   2   62   17  +45      £115k       Appointed on July 20th
2017         Flamengo           59  38  9   12  109  47  +62      £260k
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL        Cesar Vallejo      81  51  20  10  147  73  +74      £170k
TOTAL        Defensor Sporting  151 96  33  22  256  111 +145     £505k
TOTAL        Colo Colo          29  17  10  2   55   25  +30      £250k
TOTAL        Flamengo           91  59  18  14  171  64  +107     £375k
TOTAL        OVERALL            261 164 63  34  458  209 +249     £1.3m

Trophy Cabinet

Season    Club               Competition              Country/Continent
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
2011      Cesar Vallejo      Premier Division         Peru
2011/12   Defensor Sporting  Liguilla                 Uruguay
2012/13   Defensor Sporting  Primera Division         Uruguay
2012/13   Defensor Sporting  Liguilla                 Uruguay
2013/14   Defensor Sporting  Primera Division         Uruguay
2013/14   Defensor Sporting  Liguilla                 Uruguay
2014/15   Defensor Sporting  Primera Division         Uruguay
2015      Colo Colo          Primera Division Close   Chile
2016      Flamengo           Serie B                  Brazil
2017      Flamengo           Campeonato Carioca       Brazil

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Story So Far...

Season 1 - 2010 - Club Deportivo Universidad Cesar Vallejo - Peruvian Premier Division

July | August | September | October | November | December | Season Review

Young Uruguayan manager Cristoval Alvarez is appointed to his first managerial position at Peruvian Premier Division side Cesar Vallejo, filling the vacancy left when his compatriot Mario Viera is sacked. The club sit 15th out of 16 when Alvarez takes over, but with half of the league games left to go, Cesar Vallejo go on an amazing run of 17 wins and just 2 defeats in 22 games to finish the season 4th in the overall table and guarantee them a place in the Copa Sudamericana next season.

Final League Position: 4th | Trophies: None

Season 2 - 2011 - Club Deportivo Universidad Cesar Vallejo - Peruvian Premier Division

Pre-Season Report | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December | Season Review

After a mixed start in the league, Cesar Vallejo come good in the second half of the season and, despite some wobbles towards the end of the league campaign, win themselves a place in the championship game where they faced off against Universitario. Winning both legs of the playoff, Cesar Vallejo are named champions of Peru. Cristoval Alvarez wins his first piece of silverware and is named Peruvian Manager of the Year.

Final League Position: 2nd (Champions through Playoff) | Trophies: Peruvian Premier Division

Season 3 Part 1 - 2012 - Club Deportivo Universidad Cesar Vallejo - Peruvian Premier Division

Pre-Season Report | February | March

After an unbeaten start to their title defence, Cristoval Alvarez ends up at loggerheads with the Cesar Vallejo board over whether he has the right to pursue job opportunities at bigger clubs. Rather than apologise for applying for the job at Huracan in Argentina, Alvarez opts to resign as manager of Cesar Vallejo, and leaves the club in late March.

Final League Position: N/A | Trophies: N/A

Season 3 Part 2 - 2011/12 - Defensor Sporting - Uruguayan Primera Division

New Club Report | April | May | Season Review

Just days after resigning as manager of Cesar Vallejo, Alvarez is offered a chance to return to his homeland of Uruguay and manage Defensor Sporting. One of Uruguay's biggest teams, they have expectations of winning the league but find themselves in 3rd place, 5 points back from the leaders. Alvarez's Defensor side close the gap to just two points and take the Closing Stage title race to the final day of the season, but are unable to overhaul Danubio in first place.

Final League Position: 2nd | Trophies: Uruguayan Liguilla

Season 3 Part 3 - 2012/13 - Defensor Sporting - Uruguayan Primera Division

Pre-Season Report | August | September | October | November | December | January | February | March | April | May | June | Season Review

Expectations are sky high for Alvarez's first full season in charge of Defensor Sporting, with the board expecting victories in both the Opening and Closing Stages and therefore an overall victory as well. Despite some nervous and slightly lackluster performances against mediocre teams, Defensor grind out the points when they need to and turn on the style when they can to claim both the Opening and Closing Stage titles. The Defensor board wait until just a month from the end of his contract before offering a two year extension to their new title winning manager.

Final League Position: 1st | Trophies: Uruguayan Primera Division, Uruguayan Liguilla

Season 4 - 2013/14 - Defensor Sporting - Uruguayan Primera Division

Pre-Season Report | August | September | October | November | December | January | February | March | April | May | June | Season Review

In his second season in charge, Alvarez once again delivers silverware to Defensor Sporting, winning the league in dominant fashion with a 12 point lead over their nearest challengers in the overall table. Entered in both of South America's continental competitions, Defensor go on an impressive run to the Semi-Finals of the Copa Sudamericana before being knocked out by Argentine side Velez Sarsfield, and make it past the group stage of the Copa Libertadores for the first time, reaching the Quarter Finals before being knocked out by Chivas of Mexico.

Final League Position: 1st | Trophies: Uruguayan Primera Division, Uruguayan Liguilla

Season 5 - 2014/15 - Defensor Sporting - Uruguayan Primera Division

Season Preview | September | December | March | June | Season Review

Nacional gave Alvarez's Defensor Sporting side a run for their money in the Opening Stage, but they eventually retained the Opening Stage title by a single point. More dominant in the Closing Stage, Defensor lock up the overall championship for the third season in a row. Elsewhere, things have regressed a little bit from last season, going out in the early rounds of the Copa Sudamericana and only finishing 3rd in their Group in the Copa Libertadores. In the Liguilla, Defensor finish 2nd making it the first piece of domestic silverware Defensor hadn't won since Alvarez took over. By then though, he'd been made an offer he couldn't refuse and was moving on to greener pastures.

Final League Position: 1st | Trophies: Uruguayan Primera Division

Season 6 - 2015 - Colo Colo - Chilean Primera Division

New Club Report | September | December | Season Review

Tempted by one of the best teams in the continent outside of Argentina and Brazil, Alvarez joins the Chilean side Colo Colo, who give him a £7.5m budget to work with and tasking him with bringing them success on the continent and dominance at home. Joining the club at the start of the Closing Stage championship, Alvarez leads his team to 1st in the table and to victory in the championship playoffs, defeating Everton in the final to deliver his first trophy in Santiago.

Final League Position: 1st | Trophies: Chilean Primera Division Closing Stage

Season 7 Part 1 - 2016 - Colo Colo - Chilean Primera Division

Season Preview | March | June

Despite finishing top of the Opening Stage table, Alvarez's Colo Colo side crashed out of the playoffs in the semi-finals to Audax Italiano, disappointing both the board and 45,000 home fans. But the Chilean side's performance in the Copa Libertadores at least kept the fans off the manager's back as they finished runners-up in their group, only to go out on away goals to Brazilian side Sao Paulo in the next round. With the board demanding a championship in the Closing Stage, the pressure was on Alvarez to deliver. But then a sleeping giant came calling and Alvarez couldn't resist a move to Brazil's most popular club.

Final League Position: 1st | Trophies: None

Season 7 Part 2 - 2016 - Flamengo - Brazilian Serie B

New Club Report | September | December | Season Review

Until 2015, Flamengo had never been relegated from Brazil's top flight. But now they found themselves in their second season in Serie B and languishing in 8th place about a third of the way through the season. Alvarez's goal was to restore this world famous club to their former glory, and it didn't take long for the Rio club to start to assert their dominance over the second tier, eventually finishing top by 7 points and securing promotion back to Brazil's big time.

Final League Position: 1st | Trophies: Braziluan Serie B

Season 8 - 2017 - Flamengo - Brazilian Serie A

Season Preview | April | June | September | December | Season Review

Back in Brazil's top flight for the first time since the end of 2014, some might have expected there to be something of an adjustment period for Flamengo, especially since this was the first time their manager Alvarez would be leading a club at this level. But even better was to come as they bested their local rivals on the way to winning the Rio state championship, the Campeonato Carioca. After a slightly shaky start in the league, Flamengo never dropped lower than 7th, and ended up in 4th position - an achievement which also qualified them for the Copa Libertadores next season.

Final League Position: 4th | Trophies: Campeonato Carioca

cducv.png

Club Deportivo Universidad Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - July 19th 2010

Contract: £1,900 p/w until Dec 2012

Transfer Budget: £725k

Wage Budget: £29.5k p/w

Current Wage Total: £17.8k p/w

It didn't take long to find a job, with Cristoval Alvarez moving to Cesar Vallejo of Peru just a few days into his employment search. The Peruvian season is already well under way, with Cesar Vallejo sitting 15th out of 16 teams. Of course, relegation is decided by the average points table, and by the looks of it, we're a little safer on that front, sitting 10th with the bottom two getting relegated. Founded as recently as 1996, Cesar Vallejo are located in the northern city of Trujillo, Peru's third largest city.

First order of business is to bolster the back room staff (no coaches, just one scout) and to strengthen the squad if there's any value to be had in the transfer market. I've got a decent transfer budget to play with and I seem to have landed on my feet by taking over at a top division club, even if it is one of the lowlier clubs in one of the continent's less prestigious leagues.

I'm pretty sure the league splits after 30 games into two mini-leagues, though I'm not sure of the exact rules that govern the split (not as simple as just top half and bottom half). The league is relatively tight, so a good run could stand us in good stead for a top half finish. Equally, a bad run might leave us vulnerable on the average points front.

As a fun aside, we appear to be participating in this season's Copa Sudamericana - not something to prioritise, but a nice distraction in a season where the league table is unlikely to offer the fans too much to get excited about.

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - July 2010 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - July 21st 2010[/i]
[b]Alianza Atletico           1   1   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Jonathan Rodriguez (32)            Hector Hurtado (46)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - July 25th 2010[/i]
[b]Juan Aurich                1   2   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Luis Tejada (27)                   Saulo Aponte (6)
                                  Roberto Demus (70)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - July 28th 2010[/i]
[b]Cesar Valejo               2   1   Universidad San Martin[/b]
Sidney Faiffer (pen 28)            Pablo Vitti (47)
Saulo Aponte (76)

Notes: Two wins and one draw was not a bad return at all on my first few games in charge - especially since one of those wins was over the league leaders, Universidad San Martin. We were pretty lucky in both of our wins, but we'll take points where we can get them!

In other news, we were drawn against Barcelona of Ecuador in the First Preliminary Round of the Copa Sudamericana - if we make it through that, we will face fellow Peruvians Sport Huancayo in the next Preliminary Round.

Pos     Team                    P   W   D   L   GF  GA   GD   Pts
----------------------------------------------------------------- 
1st     Universidad San Martin  25  16  3   6   36  16   +20  51   
12th    Inti Gas                25  9   4   12  34  36   -2   31  
[b]13th    Cesar Vallejo           25  8   5   12  26  37   -11  29[/b]  
14th    Leon de Huanuco         25  8   4   13  31  40   -9   28   
16th    CNI                     25  5   6   14  19  40   -21  21

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - August 2010 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - August 1st 2010[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              3   0   CNI[/b]
Saulo Aponte (37, 66)
Ismael Alvarado (72)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - August 4th 2010[/i]
[b]Alianza Lima               0   0   Cesar Vallejo[/b]

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - August 8th 2010[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   1   Inti Gas[/b]
Roberto Demus (68)                 Renzo Benavides (25)
Francesco Recalde (72)

[i]Copa Sudamercana 1st Preliminary Round Leg 1 - August 11th 2010[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  1   1   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Luis Macias (4)                    Roberto Demus (80)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - August 15th 2010[/i]
[b]Jose Galvez                1   3   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Paul Cominges (12)                 Roberto Demus (71, 87)
                                  Francisco Hernandez (83)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - August 22nd 2010[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   0   Total Chalaco[/b]
Ismael Alvarado (18)
Roberto Demus (33)

[i]Copa Sudamercana 1st Preliminary Round Leg 2 - August 25th 2010[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              3   3   Barcelona (4-4 agg. - Barcelona win on away goals)[/b]
Saulo Aponte (32, 45+2)            Pablo Palacios (2, 61)
Roberto Demus (81)                 Ricardo Noir (64)

Notes: A pretty impressive month and still undefeated as manager (we won't count the away goals exit in the Copa Sudamericana to Barcelona). All the more impressive since the transfer window doesn't open until September 1st - so this is all with the players who were already here.

The first phase of the league season is over - now we're split into two (seemingly random?) groups for the remaining 14 games of the season.

[b]First Phase Final League Table[/b]
1st     Universidad San Martin  30  19  5   6   40  17   +23  62   
6th     Cienciano               30  12  8   10  42  40   +2   44  
[b]7th     Cesar Vallejo           30  12  6   12  36  39   -3   42[/b]  
8th     Cristal                 30  11  8   11  37  31   +6   41   
16th    CNI                     30  6   8   16  22  46   -24  26

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - September 2010 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - September 12th 2010[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   4   Juan Aurich[/b]
Hector Hurtado (5)                 Luis Tejada (18, pen 61)
Roberto Demus (35)                 Ricardo Ciciliano (31)
                                  Ysrael Zuniga (74)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - September 15th 2010[/i]
[b]Alianza Lima               2   2   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Roberto Ovelar (17, 40)            Martin Mandra (10)
                                  Hector Hurtado (38)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - September 19th 2010[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              4   0   Alianza Atletico[/b]
Sidney Faiffer (29)
Pedro Plaza o.g. (39)
Martin Mandra (61)
Saulo Aponte (pen 88)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - September 26th 2010[/i]
[b]Sport Huancayo             0   4   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
                                  Francisco Hernandez (12)
                                  Hector Hurtado (50)
                                  Martin Mandra (83, 86)

Notes: The defeat at home to Juan Aurich was my first in Peru, but they deserved their win. Drawing with Alianza, one of the top teams in the league, was a decent result, and of course I can't have any complaints about two 4-0 wins to complete the month.

The transfer window opened and I brought in versatile defender Carlos Alvarengo from struggling Sport Huancayo and experienced striker Martin Mandra from Ecuadorian side Manta. Mandra in particular has made an immediate impression with 4 goals from 3 games so far.

[b]Transfers In[/b]
Player                      From                  Fee
-------------------------------------------------------
Carlos Alvarenga            Sport Huancayo        £120k
Martin Mandra               Manta                 £24k

[i][b]Second Phase Group 1[/b][/i]
1st     Universidad San Martin  34  22  6   6   45  18   +27  72   
4th     Juan Aurich             34  16  2   16  42  44   -2   50  
[b]5th     Cesar Vallejo           34  14  7   13  48  45   +3   49[/b]  
6th     Inti Gas                34  12  6   16  41  45   -4   42   
8th     Sport Huancayo          33  8   7   18  37  55   -18  31

[i][b]Overall League Table[/b][/i]
1st     Universidad San Martin  34  22  6   6   45  18   +27  72   
7th     Juan Aurich             34  16  2   16  42  44   -2   50  
[b]8th     Cesar Vallejo           34  14  7   13  48  45   +3   49[/b]  
9th     Leon de Huanuco         34  13  7   14  40  44   -4   46   
16th    CNI                     34  7   9   18  25  51   -26  30

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - October 2010 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - October 3rd 2010[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   1   Universidad San Martin[/b]
Luis Cordero (6)                   Aldo Corzo (42)
Francisco Hernandez (28)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - October 6th 2010[/i]
[b]Inti Gas                   0   2   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
                                  Christian Zuniga (82, 90+1)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - October 17th 2010[/i]
[b]Universitario              3   1   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Piero Alva (29)                    Hector Hurtado (85)
Luis Ramirez (67)
Dario Gigena (82)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - October 24th 2010[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   0   Alianza Lima[/b]
Martin Mandra (17)
Sidney Faiffer (76)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - October 31st 2010[/i]
[b]Juan Aurich                1   3   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Pedro Ascoy (20)                   Francisco Hernandez (7)
                                  Carlos Alvarenga (45)
                                  Christian Zuniga (86)

Notes: The defeat away to Universitario was definitely no upset, as they're the defending champions and are in second place overall right now. Other than that, we rolled right over our other opponents this month - but the deficit we found ourselves in from the first half of the season means that we're highly unlikely to make up enough ground to have any kind of tilt at the top couple of places in the league.

1st     Universidad San Martin  39  24  7   8   53  25   +28  79   
3rd     Alianza Lima            39  16  14  9   59  48   +11  62  
[b]4th     Cesar Vallejo           39  18  7   14  58  50   +8   61[/b]  
5th     Juan Aurich             39  16  2   21  46  56   -10  50   
8th     Sport Huancayo          39  10  8   21  44  64   -20  38

1st     Universidad San Martin  39  24  7   8   53  25   +28  79   
6th     Alianza Lima            39  16  14  9   59  48   +11  62  
[b]7th     Cesar Vallejo           39  18  7   14  58  50   +8   61[/b]  
8th     Sport Boys              39  14  11  14  53  56   -3   53   
16th    CNI                     39  8   10  21  27  57   -30  34

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - November 2010 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - November 7th 2010[/i]
[b]Alianza Atletico           1   2   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Daniel Maldonado (69)              Martin Mandra (9)
                                  Francisco Hernandez (11)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - November 14th 2010[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              3   2   Sport Huancayo[/b]
Sidney Faiffer (20)                Hector Ramirez (6, 87)
Ricardo Caldas (52)
Hector Hurtado (69)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - November 21st 2010[/i]
[b]Universidad San Martin     0   1   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
                                  Hector Hurtado (80)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - November 28th 2010[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   0   Inti Gas[/b]
Ricardo Caldas (19)
Sidney Faiffer (31)

Notes: Four wins from four, including our third win in a row over league leaders Universidad San Martin. With one game left to go, we're guaranteed to finish third in our group, and either fourth or fifth overall.

1st     Universidad San Martin  43  26  7   10  59  31   +28  85   
2nd     Universitario           43  23  10  10  69  37   +32  79  
[b]3rd     Cesar Vallejo           43  22  7   14  66  53   +13  73[/b]
4th     Alianza Lima            43  18  15  10  64  51   +13  69   
8th     Sport Huancayo          43  10  9   24  49  73   -24  39

1st     Universidad San Martin  43  26  7   10  59  31   +28  85   
4th     Melgar                  43  22  8   13  70  49   +21  74  
[b]5th     Cesar Vallejo           43  22  7   14  66  53   +13  73[/b]
6th     Cienciano               43  19  12  12  59  45   +14  69   
16th    CNI                     43  9   11  23  30  62   -32  38

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - December 2010 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - November 28th 2010[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              1   0   Universitario[/b]
Marco Casas (90)

Notes: A last minute winner to wrap up the season in style and leapfrog us into 4th overall.

[i][b]Final Second Phase Group 1 Table[/b][/i]
1st     Universidad San Martin  44  26  7   11  59  32   +27  85   
2nd     Universitario           44  23  10  11  69  38   +31  79  
[b]3rd     Cesar Vallejo           44  23  7   14  67  53   +14  76[/b]
4th     Alianza Lima            44  19  15  10  65  51   +14  72   
8th     Alianza Atletico        44  11  8   25  38  74   -36  41

[i][b]Final Overall League Table[/b][/i]
1st     Universidad San Martin  44  26  7   11  59  32   +27  85   
3rd     Total Chalaco           44  22  13  9   63  40   +23  79  
[b]4th     Cesar Vallejo           44  23  7   14  67  53   +14  76[/b]
5th     Melgar                  44  22  9   13  71  45   +14  69   
16th    CNI                     44  9   11  24  31  65   -34  38

cducv.png

Season Review - Peruvian Premier Division 2010 (Season 1)

Peruvian Premier Division - First Phase: 7th

Peruvian Premier Division - Second Phase Group 1: 3rd

Peruvian Premier Division - Overall League Table: 4th

Copa Sudamericana: 1st Preliminary Round (defeated by Barcelona)

Season Review: Our performance this season wildly exceeded my expectations. Coming into a struggling team in 15th place in a 16 team league, I really thought getting back up to mid-table would be the most I could hope for. But a spectacular run of 17 wins and only 2 defeats after I took over catapulted us up the table - if I'd arrived just a month or so earlier, with that kind of form we could have been title contenders.

The funny thing is, I can't quite pinpoint what I managed to do to turn the season around so quickly. I'm playing a pretty basic 4-4-2, so there's not a great deal of tactical trickery, and I was even using the same personnel as my predecessor for the first two months of my tenure since the transfer window was shut. When it opened. I only made a couple of transfers, but somehow everything came good for us. I'll have to work hard to recreate the magic, whatever it was, next season.

In our brief excursion in the Copa Sudamericana, we managed to draw with Barcelona of Ecuador home and away, but they were able to sneak through on the away goals rule to end our involvement before it really began. We'll get the chance to do it all again next season though!

Notable Transfers - In: Just two signings in the September transfer window - versatile Paraguayan defender Carlos Alvarenga arrived from fellow Peruvian side Sport Huancayo, while we also snapped up aging but still talented Argentine striker Martin Mandra from Ecuadorian side Manta.

Notable Transfers - Out: No transfers out in my first season in charge, though that will change a bit when the window reopens.

My Player of the Season: Martin Mandra - Once he arrived in September, he turned on the style, grabbing six goals in his nine games for us, three assists, and an average rating of 7.59.

Most Valuable: Sidney Faiffer - £1m

Top Scorer: Saulo Aponte - 15 goals (23 starts, 8 subs)

Fans' Player of the Year: Francisco Hernandez

You're doing very well since you've taken over keep it up and aim for the title next season

Thanks! I'm in two minds about whether we have enough about us to challenge for the title next season - on the one hand, we obviously had a pretty great second half to this season. On the other, I haven't got a player my backroom staff rates over 3 stars and I'm not sure we have the quality to be the league champions. Time will tell!

Excellente!! Now you get to really stamp the team with your personality! :)

Yep, I'll be looking to make some more signings during the pre-season so that I can start to make this team my own! :thup:

cducv.png

Season Preview - Peruvian Premier Division 2011 (Season 2)

Peruvian Premier Division - Media Prediction: 8th

Peruvian Premier Division - Board Expectation: Safe mid-table position

Copa Sudamericana - Board Expectation: 2nd Preliminary Round

Transfer Budget: £450k

Wage Budget: £35k p/w

Season Preview: Both the board and the media expect us to spend the season in mid-table obscurity, and that would be fine, but I can't help but set my sights a little higher. Given our scintillating second half of last season, it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility we could be challenging for a Copa Libertadores place if we can recreate that form. However, while I've made some signings that will significantly improve on squad depth, most of them were squad players arriving on free transfers - the one exception being a 35 year old goalkeeper who arrived for £110k, rated by my scouts at only 3 stars but the best Peruvian player I could get to fill the one position where I was desperately lacking in quality. Not only that, but all of the players who left I would have happily signed to new contracts if only they would have accepted them/not already been signed by someone else when I arrived.

In other words, I don't think I've really made much of an upgrade at any position in the pre-season, and while I've added some squad depth I've lost some as well. Does that sound like a team ready to make the leap from also-rans to frontrunners? It all depends on whether we can recapture the mysterious magic of last season.

[b]Transfers In[/b]
Player                      From                     Fee
----------------------------------------------------------
Carlos Fernandez            Universidad San Martin   Free
Miguel Cevasco              Juan Aurich              Free
Johnny Vegas                Alianza Atletico         £110k
Victor Rossell              Unattached               Free
Ronald Quinteros            Unattached               Free
Luis Hernandez              Unattached               Free
Jesus Rabanal               Unattached               Free

[b]Transfers Out[/b]
Player                      To                       Fee
Hector Hurtado              Estudiantes Tecos        Free
Marco Casas                 Sao Jose (RS)            Free
Erick Torres                Universidad San Martin   Free
Mayer Candelo               Monterrey                Free

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - February 2011 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - February 13th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              3   1   Universidad San Martin[/b]
Luis Hernandez (pen 39)            Braian Rodriguez (67)
Ismael Alvarado (43)
Roberto Demus (50)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - February 20th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              0   0   Cristal[/b]

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - February 27th 2011[/i]
[b]Sport Huancayo             2   1   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Miguel Mostto (65)                 Roberto Demus (23)
Hector Ramirez (72)

Notes: And so the new season begins, and we start off with a bit of a mixed bag of results - first, we beat last season's runners-up Universidad San Martin in a great performance (they lost in the end of season playoff despite dominating the league stage last time around), get a decent enough draw against Cristal, and then go down to a sloppy defeat against Sport Huancayo, a club that seemed to be going out of its way to try to get relegated last season (but stayed up by the skin of its teeth).

A couple of interesting jobs have come up over the past couple of weeks, including Nacional in Uruguay, one of the top clubs, and Fluminense of Brazil. I've restrained myself from applying though - firstly, I don't think I'd get them, and secondly, I think I need to have at least one full season in Peru to see how far I can take this team.

[i][b]Premier Division - First Phase[/b][/i]
1st     Universitario           3   2   1   0   6   2    +4   7   
6th     Total Chalaco           3   1   1   1   7   5    +2   4  
[b]7th     Cesar Vallejo           3   1   1   1   4   3    +1   4[/b]
8th     Leon de Huanuco         3   1   1   1   3   3    0    4
16th    Deportivo Municipal     3   0   1   2   0   3    -3   1

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - March 2011 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - March 6th 2011[/i]
[b]Bolognesi                  1   0   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Mario Uribe (3)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - March 13th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              3   0   Sport Boys[/b]
Daniel Ferreyra o.g. (6)
Roberto Demus (50, 63)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - March 20th 2011[/i]
[b]Leon de Huanuco            1   1   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Carlos Zegarra (34)                Francisco Hernandez (82)

Notes: Another mixed bag this month as we first crashed to defeat against newly promoted Bolognesi, then dominated Sport Boys before being lucky to draw against Leon de Huanuco. I'm beginning to wonder if the magic of last season was all down to having a consistent and settled squad, and my pre-season signings have upset that balance.

[b]Transfers In - March 2011[/b]
Player                      From                  Fee
-------------------------------------------------------
Fernando Galhardo           Oeste                 £70k

1st     Universitario           6   5   1   0   15  7    +8   16  
6th     Bolognesi               6   3   1   2   4   5    -1   10 
[b]7th     Cesar Vallejo           6   2   2   2   8   5    +3   8[/b]
8th     Sport Huancayo          6   2   2   2   11  10   +1   8
16th    Sport Boys              6   0   2   4   1   10   -9   2

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - April 2011 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - April 3rd 2011[/i]
[b]Juan Aurich                2   2   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Manuel Contreras (23)              Victor Rossell (11)
Mauricio Rebaza (40)               Luis Hernandez (70)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - April 10th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              1   0   Alianza Lima[/b]
Francisco Hernandez (4)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - April 17th 2011[/i]
[b]Jose Galvez                0   2   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
                                  Junior Nunez o.g. (23)
                                  Luis Hernandez (35)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - April 24th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              1   1   Cienciano[/b]
Victor Rossell (18)                Luis Roman Ojeda (35)

Notes: Results are beginning to improve as we went unbeaten this month, though we're still not quite where I'd like us to be. The win over Alianza Lima, one of Peru's top sides, was particularly pleasing.

1st     Universitario           10  8   1   1   21  9    +12  25  
5th     Cristal                 10  5   2   3   14  10   +4   17 
[b]6th     Cesar Vallejo           10  4   4   2   14  8    +6   16[/b]
7th     Melgar                  10  3   4   3   13  11   +2   13
16th    Sport Boys              10  1   3   6   4   15   -11  6

Good to see you back iseemonsters1 :thup: I always enjoy a good game in South America and hope to sepnd a few seasons there in my career game.

Looks like you've made a great start with Cesar Vallejo - it will be interesting to see where you go from here.

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - May 2011 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - May 1st 2011[/i]
[b]Universitario              3   0   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Piero Alva (7)
Carlos Alvarenga o.g. (40)
Antonio Valdiviezo (64)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - May 8th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              4   0   Melgar[/b]
Roberto Demus (14, 70, 79)
Victor Rossell (61)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - May 15th 2011[/i]
[b]Deportivo Municipal        0   3   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
                                  Roberto Demus (54, 90+2)
                                  Victor Rossell (57)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - May 22nd 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              3   1   Inti Gas[/b]
Roberto Demus (2)                  Leonardo Mina Polo (13)
Luis Cordero (41)
Victor Rossell (47)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - May 29th 2011[/i]
[b]Total Chalaco              2   2   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Franco Mendoza (14, 32)            Victor Rossell (27, 45+1)

Notes: After opening the month with a disappointingly comprehensive, though not entirely unexpected, defeat to top of the league Universitario, we hit a nice vein of form, mainly thanks to the play of my two strikers - Victor Rossell (5 goals in 4 games) and Roberto Demus (6 goals in 4 games). We're still seven points off the pace being set by Universitario at the top of the league, but at least we're within shouting distance.

I was severely tempted to apply for the open job at Ecuadorian side Deportivo Quito this month - I'm eager to return to Ecuador and Deportivo Quito are probably the 3rd best team in the country after LDU de Quito and Barcelona. But I also have a bit of a "grass is always greener" mentality in career games and it doesn't always work out for the best, so I decided to stay at Cesar Vallejo, at least until an irresistible opportunity comes along.

1st     Universitario           15  10  3   2   29  14   +15  33  
4th     Cristal                 15  8   3   4   23  16   +7   27 
[b]5th     Cesar Vallejo           15  7   5   3   26  14   +12  26[/b]
6th     Inti Gas                15  7   3   5   23  19   +4   24
16th    Deportivo Municipal     15  2   4   9   10  24   -14  10

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - June 2011 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - June 1st 2011[/i]
[b]Cristal                    1   1   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Schwenck (pen 7)                   Victor Rossell (24)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - June 12th 2011[/i]
[b]Universidad San Martin     1   0   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Erick Torres (84)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - June 19th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              5   0   Sport Huancayo[/b]
Martin Mandra (11, 57)
Roberto Demus (41, 54)
Pedro Diaz o.g. (90)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - June 26th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   1   Bolognesi[/b]
Luis Hernandez (pen 48)            Adan Balbin (75)
Roberto Demus (70)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - June 29th 2011[/i]
[b]Sport Boys                 0   1   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
                                  Saulo Aponte (39)

Notes: A draw away to Cristal is a decent result, and we were unlucky to lose away to Universidad San Martin (undone by a goal in the 84th minute by a former Cesar Vallejo player). But we bounced back with three wins against inferior opposition. However, we're still seven points behind leaders Cienciano.

Seems like it's time for Brazilian chairmen to indulge their itchy trigger fingers, as jobs became available at Sao Paulo, Corinthians, Atletico Mineiro, Vasco and Avai in the last week (Brazil is currently 8 games into the league season). All of those jobs are out of my league though. Another job that became available was at the Chilean side Everton, which made me consider a career hopping between South American clubs named after British teams - Everton in Chile, Liverpool in Uruguay, Corinthians in Brazil, Arsenal (de Sarandi) in Argentina...

1st     Cienciano               20  12  7   1   27  14   +13  43  
4th     Cristal                 20  11  4   5   30  23   +7   37 
[b]5th     Cesar Vallejo           20  10  6   4   35  17   +18  36[/b]
6th     Universidad San Martin  20  8   6   6   22  20   +2   30
16th    Sport Boys              20  3   5   12  12  29   -17  14

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - July 2011 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - July 3rd 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   1   Leon de Huanuco[/b]
Luis Hernandez (pen 41)            Luis Perea (90+1)
Martin Mandra (55)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - July 10th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   0   Juan Aurich[/b]
Roberto Demus (14)
Luis Hernandez (68)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - July 17th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   1   Jose Galvez[/b]
Roberto Demus (4)                  Paulo Albarracin (32)
Luis Hernandez (28)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - July 24th 2011[/i]
[b]Cienciano                  0   2   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
                                  Roberto Demus (53)
                                  Martin Mandra (68)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - July 27th 2011[/i]
[b]Alianza Lima               0   1   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
                                  Martin Mandra (3)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - July 31st 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   0   Universitario[/b]
Luis Hernandez (42)
John Galliquio o.g. (60)

Notes: This month marked the end of my first year in charge of Cesar Vallejo, and appropriately enough it was the month where we finally regained the form of my first half season in charge back in 2010, as we put together a run of six tremendous wins. Included in that run were wins over all of the top three (Cienciano, Alianza Lima, Universitario) which catapulted us into 2nd position and turned a 7 point gap between us and 1st place into a 1 point gap. Keep up this form during the upcoming group stage, and we'll be in with a really good shout of at least making the championship playoff.

In interesting news from elsewhere in South America, Brazil sacked their manager in the middle of the Copa America after a disappointing groups stage - and still managed to win the competition!

1st     Universitario           26  17  4   5   45  24   +21  55  
[b]2nd     Cesar Vallejo           26  16  6   4   46  19   +27  54[/b]
3rd     Cienciano               26  14  8   4   34  20   +14  50
16th    Sport Huancayo          26  5   3   18  30  58   -28  18

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - August 2011 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - August 7th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              1   0   Deportivo Municipal[/b]
Victor Rossell (45+2)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - August 12th 2011[/i]
[b]Melgar                     1   1   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Roberto Coaguila (6)               Saulo Aponte (90)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - August 14th 2011[/i]
[b]Inti Gas                   1   1   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Mario Velarde (17)                 Sidney Faiffer (74)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (First Phase) - August 21st 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              3   0   Total Chalaco[/b]
Carlos Fernandez (6)
Martin Mandra (18, 32)

Notes: We weren't quite able to continue the spectacular form of July, but nevertheless we finished the league's first phase sitting top of the Premier Division (albeit on goal difference). Now the league is split into two sections (I figured out the pattern - 1st is in a group with 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th etc. while 2nd has a group with 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th etc.), and the top teams in each group play each other to decide the championship. That means that although we face difficult opposition in the form of Cienciano and Alianza Lima in our group, we do start out with a 6 point advantage and a significantly superior goal difference. There are still 14 games to play, but it's going to be something of a let down if we don't make the championship game at this point. And to think - just two months ago we were 5th and 7 points adrift!

[i][b]Premier Division - First Phase Final Standings[/b][/i]
[b]1st     Cesar Vallejo           30  18  8   4   52  21   +31  62[/b]
2nd     Universitario           30  19  5   6   51  29   +22  62
3rd     Cienciano               30  15  11  4   38  23   +15  56
16th    Sport Huancayo          30  5   4   21  33  67   -34  19

Good to see another Continent included in the Career's Forum! I am going to do a similar South American Career when I get my computer back from the menders!

One thing I'd like to ask you. I tried an 'American' Career (i.e. USA, Mex + SA) on FM10, but once 2015/16 (ish) came about it became worryingly slow (even though my computer is easily good enough to support it!)... did you find this as well last/this year?

All in all, I hope you have a good SA career, as it's not a place regularly frequented on these forums!

Good to see another Continent included in the Career's Forum! I am going to do a similar South American Career when I get my computer back from the menders!

One thing I'd like to ask you. I tried an 'American' Career (i.e. USA, Mex + SA) on FM10, but once 2015/16 (ish) came about it became worryingly slow (even though my computer is easily good enough to support it!)... did you find this as well last/this year?

All in all, I hope you have a good SA career, as it's not a place regularly frequented on these forums!

Thanks Chutney! South America has been one of my favourite places to manage for at least the past five years, with a particular soft spot for Uruguay and Ecuador. Hope you'll keep us updated on your own South American career when you get it going! :thup:

Generally, in my experience, FM games always tend to slow down as game time goes by no matter what - you can tell that it's gradually trying to keep track of more and more data by the size of the save game (this career game's save file has already ballooned from about 90MB to about 120MB). I think the most important thing is your initial set up - making sure you don't overstretch your computer's abilities, and remembering that even if it runs okay at the start it's going to slow down. You want to make sure that it actually runs pretty well to start with so that when it starts to slow down, it'll still be a decent speed. I'm pretty sure Mexico in particular adds a lot of players and might be responsible for the problems you had with your FM10 game.

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - September 2011 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - September 11th 2011[/i]
[b]Sport Boys                 0   1   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
                                  Martin Mandra (23)

[i]Copa Sudamericana - 2nd Preliminary Round 1st Leg - September 14th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              3   2   Envigado[/b]
Ismael Alvarado (3)                Jorge Horacio Serna (14, 39)
Ronald Quinteros (24)
Martin Mandra (88)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - September 18th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              1   1   Bolognesi[/b]
Martin Mandra (45+3)               Pedro Marcel Miranda (48)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - September 21st 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              4   1   Jose Galvez[/b]
Martin Mandra (33, 46, 57)         Paul Cominges (84)
Carlos Fernandez (54)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - September 25th 2011[/i]
[b]Cienciano                  2   0   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Juan Barros (11)
Jaime Linares (41)

[i]Copa Sudamericana - 2nd Preliminary Round 2nd Leg - September 28th 2011[/i]
[b]Envigado                   0   0   Cesar Vallejo[/b]

Notes: A pretty good month both domestically and continentally, though the defeat to Cienciano was a little disappointing. But we still have a six point lead over Alianza Lima with 10 games to go, and we're still in with a good chance of making the championship game. With our 3-2 aggregate win over Envigado of Colombia, we've made it through to the First Round proper of the Copa Sudamericana, where we'll face Argentinean side Lanus.

[i][b]Premier Division - Second Phase Group 1[/b][/i]
[b]1st     Cesar Vallejo           34  20  9   5   58  25   +33  69[/b]
2nd     Alianza Lima            34  19  6   9   53  27   +26  63
3rd     Cienciano               34  16  12  6   42  27   +15  60
8th     Sport Boys              34  6   10  18  28  51   -23  28

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - October 2011 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - October 2nd 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   0   Leon de Huanuco[/b]
Diego Chaves (13)
Ismael Alvarado (76)

[i]Copa Sudamericana - 1st Round 1st Leg - October 7th 2011[/i]
[b]Lanus                      2   2   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Rodrigo Erramuspe (37)             Roberto Demus (25)
Diego Lagos (45)                   Martin Mandra (68)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - October 16th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   3   Alianza Lima[/b]
Carlos Fernandez (40)              Mauro Guevgeozian (45+1)
Martin Mandra (77)                 Carlos Alvarenga o.g. (64)
                                  Paolo De le Haza (68)

[i]Copa Sudamericana - 1st Round 2nd Leg - October 19th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              1   3   Lanus[/b]
Roberto Demus (14)                 Silvio Romero (30)
                                  Luis Hernandez o.g. (36)
                                  Marcos Medel (55)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - October 23rd 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   1   Sport Boys[/b]
Carlos Fernandez (24)              Helder (30)
Martin Mandra (90)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - October 26th 2011[/i]
[b]Bolognesi                  0   2   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
                                  Carlos Fernandez (67)
                                  Roberto Demus (76)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - October 30th 2011[/i]
[b]Jose Galvez                1   2   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Gary Correa (4)                    Martin Mandra (66)
                                  Luis Lozada o.g. (87)

Notes: We found ourselves back on top of the league by the end of the month, but it definitely wasn't the best month as we went down to a 3-2 defeat at home to our nearest rivals in the group, Alianza Lima, that put them level with us on points (though we had a game in hand and the advantage in goal difference). It looks like the race to win Group 1 is going right down to the wire as we battle against Alianza for the honour of appearing in the championship game, where it's all but mathematically certain that Universitario will await the winner, having won Group 2.

After a creditable 2-2 draw away to a Lanus side currently 4th in the Argentine Premier Division, we were disappointed to be outplayed and easily defeated 3-1 at home to go out of the Copa Sudamericana in the first round.

[b]1st     Cesar Vallejo           39  24  9   6   68  30   +38  81[/b]
2nd     Alianza Lima            40  24  7   9   69  33   +36  79
3rd     Cienciano               40  19  12  9   48  35   +13  69
8th     Sport Boys              40  9   10  21  37  61   -24  37

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - November 2011 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - November 2nd 2011[/i]
[b]Melgar                     1   1   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Luis Hernandez o.g. (17)           Victor Rossell (28)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - November 6th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   2   Cienciano[/b]
Miguel Cevasco (16)                Irven Avila (29)
Ismael Alvarado (37)               Jaime Linares (81)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - November 20th 2011[/i]
[b]Leon de Huanuco            0   2   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
                                  Victor Rossell (15, 78)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - November 27th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              3   1   Melgar[/b]
Jean Pierre Aranibar o.g. (41)     Makanaki (21)
Martin Mandra (67)
Ismael Alvarado (77)

Notes: Despite going unbeaten all month, we were unable to capitalise on our game in hand, and with one game left to play, we are just one point clear of second placed Alianza Lima. That one remaining game? Away to Alianza Lima, of course.

A draw or a win and we will play Universitario for the Peruvian league title. A defeat, and we'll have blown a six point lead to end the season with nothing. It's all to play for!

[b]1st     Cesar Vallejo           43  26  11  6   76  34   +42  89[/b]
2nd     Alianza Lima            43  27  7   9   74  34   +40  88
3rd     Cienciano               43  20  13  10  52  39   +13  73
8th     Sport Boys              43  10  11  22  41  65   -24  41

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - December 2011 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Second Phase Group 1) - December 4th 2011[/i]
[b]Alianza Lima               0   2   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
                                  Luis Cordero (45+1)
                                  Jesus Rabanal (pen 66)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division - Championship Playoff Leg 1 - December 11th 2011[/i]
[b]Universitario              1   2   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Julio Edson Uribe (33)             Luis Hernandez (31)
                                  Luis Salhuana o.g. (36)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division - Championship Playoff Leg 2 - December 18th 2011[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   1   Universitario[/b]
Victor Rossell (32, 43)            Piero Alva (45+1)

Notes: Well, we came good at just the right time. In our vital final league game against Alianza Lima for a place in the championship playoff, we dominated the home side for a thoroughly deserved 2-0 win. That put us into the playoff against Universitario, with the away leg first up. A thrilling five minute spell just after the half hour mark saw all the goals in the game and gave us a slim 2-1 advantage to take into the home leg thanks to a Universitario own goal. And despite Universitario's clever counter-attacking play in the second leg, we held firm and scored two great goals, both from striker Victor Rossell, to grab another 2-1 win and a 4-2 aggregate victory to make Cesar Vallejo the champions of Peru!

[i][b]Premier Division - Second Phase Group 1 Final Standings[/b][/i]
[b]1st     Cesar Vallejo           44  27  11  6   78  34   +44  92[/b]
2nd     Alianza Lima            44  27  7   10  74  36   +38  88
3rd     Cienciano               44  20  13  11  52  43   +9   73
8th     Sport Boys              44  10  11  23  41  66   -25  41

[i][b]Premier Division - Overall League Table Final Standings[/b][/i]
1st     Universitario           44  28  9   7   76  37   +39  93
[b]2nd     Cesar Vallejo           44  27  11  6   78  34   +44  92[/b]
3rd     Alianza Lima            44  27  7   10  74  36   +38  88
16th    Sport Huancayo          44  7   7   30  43  99   -56  28

cducv.png

Season Review - Peruvian Premier Division 2011 (Season 2)

Peruvian Premier Division - First Phase: 1st

Peruvian Premier Division - Second Phase Group 1: 1st

Peruvian Premier Division - Overall League Table: 2nd (Champions through Playoff)

Copa Sudamericana: 1st Round (defeated by Lanus)

Season Review: We started the season in relatively mixed form, and found ourselves in 5th place as the halfway point in the season approached. But as we moved into the second half of the league calendar, we kicked on impressively, just as we had last season after I took over. From 5th place with 20 games gone, we were in 1st place after 30 when the league split into two groups. While we faced tough opposition from Alianza Lima for top spot in our group and a place in the two-legged championship playoff, we pulled off an impressive 2-0 win away against Alianza in our last league game of the season, a game that decided the group in our favour.

Universitario had been very good all season, won their group at a canter, and actually scored one point more than us in the overall league table, but it all came down to the championship playoff, and thanks to 2-1 wins both home and away, we were the 4-2 aggregate winners and thus the champions of Peru.

In the Copa Sudamericana, we made it a little further than last season, knocking out Colombian side Envigado in the 2nd Preliminary Round before going out 5-3 on aggregate to an obviously superior Lanus.

Notable Transfers - In: We brought in a total of 9 players over the course of the season, with the most significant success being striker Victor Rossell, arriving on a free transfer after he was released by his previous club. 14 goals in 26 appearances despite his season being affected by injury was a great return. On the other hand, one of my biggest signings of the season was versatile Brazilian Fernando Galhardo, who I hoped would be the missing piece of the puzzle when I brought him in for £70k from Oeste. But he was a severe disappointment, with an average rating of just 6.55 (in a championship winning team) from 12 starts. He's now angling for a move away from the club, and I'm more than happy to grant it for him.

Notable Transfers - Out: As I mentioned in my pre-season report, all four of the players who left on free transfers before the start of the season I would happily have given new contracts to. However, their departure obviously didn't affect us too badly!

My Player of the Season: Roberto Demus - Hard to look past the Argentine striker who got 19 goals this season and was the difference between a draw and a win more times than I can remember.

Most Valuable: Luis Hernandez - £500k

Top Scorer: Roberto Demus - 19 goals (31 starts, 8 subs)

Fans' Player of the Year: Martin Mandra

cducv.png

Season Preview - Peruvian Premier Division 2012 (Season 3)

Peruvian Premier Division - Media Prediction: 6th

Peruvian Premier Division - Board Expectation: Challenge for title

Copa Libertadores - Board Expectation: Learn from the experience of participating

Transfer Budget: £120k

Wage Budget: £39k p/w

Season Preview: After the jubilation of winning the league last season, a cold hard dose of reality has set in over the close season which has me fairly convinced this will be my last season with Cesar Vallejo. For a start, the board have ratcheted up expectations to a title challenge while giving me a smaller wage budget than last season and a very small transfer budget to play with. Despite my being judicious with my wages last season and coming in significantly under budget, and despite the success on the field, the club is losing money on an annual basis and I'm not sure that the Copa Libertadores is going to be the magic cure.

In light of the financial austerity, my close season transfer dealings have been minimal, with just two new signings coming in and four squad players going out for a net profit in the transfer market of £95k.

The other problem we're facing is that most of my best players are refusing to sign contracts beyond the end of this year, which means that even if we can keep up last season's performance into this year, unless they all change their minds we'll face a major rebuilding job in 2013 - a prospect that I'm not really up for at a club I'm not totally committed to.

All this adds up to me so far refusing to extend my own contract beyond the end of this year, and actively watching out for interesting opportunities elsewhere. I've already applied for the job at Atletico Mineiro in Brazil, but was rejected, and I've been linked in the press with the job at Penarol in Uruguay should their current manager leave at the end of the season (they're on a European style August-May season rather than the February-December schedule in Peru and several other South American countries), and named the favourite to get the job at Liverpool in Uruguay should their manager be sacked.

We do at least have the excitement of our first ever Copa Libertadores campaign to come this season, and the board have at least removed all the pressure on that front with no real expectations of progress beyond the group stage in our first outing in the competition.

[b]Transfers In[/b]
Angelo                      Pao de Acucar            £12k
Rubao                       Unattached               Free

[b]Transfers Out[/b]
Jair Cespedes               Universidad San Martin   £50k
Jesus Arismendi             Bolognesi                £16k
Saulo Aponte                Jose Galvez              £40k
Juan Carlos Nakaya          Bolognesi                £1k

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - February 2012 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Opening Stage) - February 19th 2012[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              1   1   Cristal[/b]
Diego Chaves (86)                  Schwenck (90+3)

[i]Copa Libertadores Group C - February 22nd 2012[/i]
[b]Cruzeiro                   4   1   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
Henrique (28)                      Jorge Cazulo (65)
Everton Cardoso (41)
Thiago Ribeiro (44, 49)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Opening Stage) - February 26th 2012[/i]
[b]Inti Gas                   0   1   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
                                  Alonso Bazalar (2)

[i]Copa Libertadores Group C - February 29th 2012[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              1   0   Universidad Catolica[/b]
Victor Rossell (90+3)

Notes: Opening the season with a draw against Sporting Cristal was a decent result, especially since their equaliser came in the 93rd minute. Our other league game was a relatively straightforward win over Inti Gas.

Our excursion into the Copa Libertadores is underway already - we were defeated comprehensively by Cruzeiro, who are the overwhelming favorites for our group. But we bounced back with a good win over Chilean side Universidad Catolica. Getting results against them and Olimpia will put us in with a great chance of going through in second place.

In terms of interesting jobs becoming available - no good opportunities have come up yet, but I've been linked now with all of the top three teams in Uruguay - seems like I'm a shoe-in for any big jobs that appear in Uruguay at least.

[i][b]Premier Division - Opening Phase[/b][/i]
1st     Universidad San Martin  2   2   0   0   8   1    +7   6
4th     Cristal                 2   1   1   0   2   1    +1   4
[b]5th     Cesar Vallejo           2   1   1   0   2   1    +1   4[/b]
6th     Universitario           2   1   1   0   2   1    +1   4
16th    Alianza Atletico        2   0   0   2   1   8    -7   0

[i][b]Copa Libertadores Group C[/b][/i]
1st     Cruzeiro                2   2   0   0   6   1    +5   6
2nd     Universidad Catolica    2   1   0   1   3   3    0    3
[b]3rd     Cesar Vallejo           2   1   0   1   2   4    -2   3[/b]
4th     Olimpia                 2   0   0   2   2   5    -3   0

Cesar Vallejo

Peru - Premier Division - March 2012 Update

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Opening Stage) - March 4th 2012[/i]
[b]Cesar Vallejo              2   1   Universitario[/b]
Luis Hernandez (50)                Julio Edson Uribe (62)
Martin Mandra (81)

[i]Peruvian Premier Division (Opening Stage) - March 11th 2012[/i]
[b]Sport Ancash               0   2   Cesar Vallejo[/b]
                                  Carlos Fernandez (84)
                                  Sidney Faiffer (90+1)

Notes: We started the month with a great win over Universitario, the team we had faced in the championship playoff last season. It took a goal from the now 36 year old Mandra to get us the victory in the end, but it was thoroughly deserved. We followed that up with a win over newly promoted Sport Ancash, and we were beginning to get rolling on our title defence.

But that was as far as I would get with our title defence, as matters came to a head with the Cesar Vallejo board and I took the decision to resign from the club. It all came about as a result of me applying for a job with Huracan in Argentina - the board were very unhappy that it became public knowledge and gave me the ultimatum of apologising or resigning. Having delivered an unexpected title success last season, I think I had the right to pursue other opportunities, so I chose the latter option.

While I didn't get the job with Huracan, fortunately for me another opportunity arrived very quickly, and I was out of work for less than a week...

defensorsporting.png

Defensor Sporting Club

Uruguay - First Division - March 26th 2012

Contract: £2,900 p/w until June 2013

Transfer Budget: £1.9m

Wage Budget: £28.5k p/w

Current Wage Total: £32.4k p/w

As I've already mentioned, I was actively looking for a way out of Cesar Vallejo, and fortunately for me the opportunity to take over at Defensor Sporting came along at just the right time. I was immediately installed as the favourite to take over, and I quickly agreed a one year contract to manage the reigning Uruguayan champions.

Sometimes overshadowed by the giants of Penarol and Nacional, Defensor Sporting are undoubtedly the third of Uruguay's current "big three". They've won the Uruguayan title on five occasions, including the 2010/11 season, when they won the Opening Stage and then defeated Closing Stage champions Penarol in the playoff to become overall champions. This season, however, Defensor came 4th in the Opening Stage (River Plate were the champions), and are in 3rd place in the Closing Stage, trailing leaders Danubio by 5 points. That was deemed not good enough by a team with expectations to win the league this season, especially given the relative weakness of the two traditional powerhouses of Penarol and Nacional.

Honestly, with just 6 games left to play, it's going to be pretty difficult to make up that 5 point gap, especially since Danubio are not one of the teams we have yet to face. Also, two of our best players are out with long term injuries, so I think I'll just be looking to get a feel for the team in the six remaining games, and then we can use the summer to start plotting our comeback.

Similarly, the Copa Libertadores situation may already be out of hand. Defensor find themselves in a tough group with River Plate (the real one from Argentina), LDU de Quito (the 2008 Libertadores champions from Ecuador), and Instituto of Argentina (currently top of the group and 5th in the Argentinean league). Again, we'll look for a good showing and something to build on next season.

[i][b]First Division - Closing Stage[/b][/i]
1st     Danubio                 9   7   1   1   19  7    +12  22
2nd     Cerrito                 9   5   2   2   16  9    +7   17
[b]3rd     Defensor Sporting       9   5   2   2   17  11   +6   17[/b]
4th     Racing de Montevideo    9   5   1   3   12  15   -3   16
16th    Atenas de San Carlos    9   1   3   5   7   17   -10  6

[i][b]Copa Libertadores - Group A[/b][/i]
1st     Instituto               3   2   1   0   7   3    +4   7
2nd     LDU de Quito            3   2   0   1   7   3    +4   6
3rd     River Plate             3   1   0   2   1   6    -5   3
[b]4th     Defensor Sporting       3   0   1   2   3   6    -3   0[/b]

Good luck in the Copa! I think that competition is one of the most interesting to watch the progress of around the world. :)

Thanks! :thup: Always been a big fan of the Copa Libertadores. Of course, my experience of it this season will now be a bit different from how I expected - but at least Defensor are still participating (for now!).

Wow! A weird year for you, no doubt! In Peru, it was open in spring, close in the fall. Now you are open in the fall, close in the spring! So you get to open and close in the same six months! :D

And that's a very nice leap forward with your career. That should show those idiots on the Board at Cesar Vallejo!

Wow! A weird year for you, no doubt! In Peru, it was open in spring, close in the fall. Now you are open in the fall, close in the spring! So you get to open and close in the same six months! :D

And that's a very nice leap forward with your career. That should show those idiots on the Board at Cesar Vallejo!

Yep! I had just started the season, and now I jump in right at the end of a season. It was a big move for me though, like you said - the Uruguayan league is much more prestigious than the Peruvian league (which is only just ranked above the Brazilian third division), and Defensor are a much bigger club. Though I was a little tempted just to wait for a job at one of the top Peruvian clubs to come along, just to really stick it to the Cesar Vallejo board! :p

Defensor Sporting

Uruguay - First Division - April 2012 Update

[i]Uruguayan First Division (Closing Stage) - April 1st 2012[/i]
[b]El Tanque Sisley           1   4   Defensor Sporting[/b]
Miguel Murillo (54)                Sebastian Suarez (19, 52)
                                  Miguel Amado (33)
                                  Roberto Herrera (90)

[i]Copa Libertadores (Group A) - April 4th 2012[/i]
[b]River Plate                2   1   Defensor Sporting[/b]
Julio Gutierrez (31)               Darwin Ramirez (80)
Jose Varela (71)

[i]Uruguayan First Division (Closing Stage) - April 8th 2012[/i]
[b]Fenix                      2   2   Defensor Sporting[/b]
Luciano Cardinali (19, 37)         Alvaro Navarro (14)
                                  Danilo (pen 54)

[i]Copa Libertadores (Group A) - April 11th 2012[/i]
[b]Defensor Sporting          0   2   LDU de Quito[/b]
                                  Jonathan Dominguez (42)
                                  Franklin Salas (79)

[i]Uruguayan First Division (Closing Stage) - April 15th 2012[/i]
[b]Defensor Sporting          3   0   Boston River[/b]
Darwin Ramirez (35)
Danilo (pen 44)
Mauro Vila (88)

[i]Uruguayan First Division (Closing Stage) - April 21st 2012[/i]
[b]Penarol                    0   0   Defensor Sporting[/b]

[i]Copa Libertadores (Group A) - April 25th 2012[/i]
[b]Instituto                  1   2   Defensor Sporting[/b]
Martin Zapata (6)                  Rodrigo Pastorini (28)
                                  Ignacio Lores (59)

[i]Uruguayan First Division (Closing Stage) - April 28th 2012[/i]
[b]Defensor Sporting          2   0   Wanderers[/b]
Alvaro Navarro (22)
Danilo (47)

Notes: It was a really tough start to my career at Defensor Sporting, and in my first month at the club, a reminder that expectations are much more difficult to meet when you're managing a bigger team. Only one of our results all month pleased the fans (the win in my first match away to El Tanque Sisley) - and included in that was our first win in our Copa Libertadores group and a win over a Wanderers side that were in 4th place and unbeaten in 9 games. Everything else was either simply satisfactory or not good enough - particularly our defeat at home to LDU de Quito in the Copa Libertadores and our 2-2 draw with a Fenix side that had been reduced to 9 men.

Having said that, we've closed the gap this month from 6 points down to 2, which means that if Danubio slip up in their final game of the season, we'll be perfectly placed to pounce and snatch the Closing Stage title. If they don't slip up, then the rebuilding work begins - while most of the results this month have not been bad at all, the team needs a serious overhaul to meet the expectations the board and fans have.

[i][b]First Division - Closing Stage[/b][/i]
1st     Danubio                 14  9   3   2   28  10   +18  30
[b]2nd     Defensor Sporting       14  8   4   2   28  14   +14  28[/b]
3rd     Cerrito                 14  8   3   3   28  16   +12  27
16th    Liverpool               14  2   4   8   14  23   -9   10

[i][b]Copa Libertadores - Group A[/b][/i]
1st     LDU de Quito            6   4   0   2   11  8    +3   12
2nd     Instituto               6   3   1   2   10  7    +3   10
3rd     River Plate             6   3   0   3   7   8    -1   9
[b]4th     Defensor Sporting       6   1   1   4   6   11   -5   4[/b]

You got four points out of the three games in the Copa you played, which is four points more than they got out of the first three! <lol>

11 out of 15 pts in the league ain't too shabby, either. They must be real picky about their results!! :eek:

I know! Minimum expectations from the board was to win both the Opening and Closing Stages of the league! Fortunately, I won't be being judged on those expectations since I only had 6 games left to play when I took over... but that'll almost certainly be their expectation next season. It's going to be tough!

Defensor Sporting

Uruguay - First Division - May 2012 Update

[i]Uruguayan First Division (Closing Stage) - May 6th 2012[/i]
[b]Rampla Juniors            0   0   Defensor Sporting[/b]

[i]Uruguayan Liguilla Pre-Libertadores - May 27th 2012[/i]
[b]Nacional                  0   3   Defensor Sporting[/b]
                                 Rodrigo Pastorini (36, 84)
                                 Alvaro Navarro (47)

[i]Uruguayan Liguilla Pre-Libertadores - May 30th 2012[/i]
[b]Defensor Sporting         2   1   River Plate[/b]
Rodrigo Cabrera (47)              Matias Tellechea (28)
Diego Rodriguez (72)

Notes: Well, we pushed the title race to the final day, which - given the 6 point deficit when I took over - was an impressive feat. But ultimately we failed to capitalise even when Danubio gave us an opening. With Danubio away to last placed Liverpool, we faced 10th placed Rampla Juniors, also away. Danubio only needed a draw or a win to seal the title - and amazingly, they crashed to a 3-0 defeat. But we needed a win to overcome the two points we trailed Danubio by - and could only manage a drab 0-0 draw, handing Danubio the Closing Stage title by a single point.

Amazingly, due to the way the Uruguayan championship playoffs work, we managed to miss out on two opportunities to play for the overall championship by only drawing that game. Here's how it works - three teams can potentially have a chance to play for the title - the team that wins the Opening Stage, the team that wins the Closing Stage, and the team that is top of the overall combined Opening and Closing Stage table. If all three of those slots are filled by the same team, then obviously they are the winners and there's no need for a playoff. Otherwise, the Opening Stage winner faces the Closing Stage winner, and then the winner of that game goes on to face the overall leader (unless the winner of the Opening vs Closing Stage match is the same team that topped the overall table). Not only did we miss out on being the Closing Stage winners by just one point, we also missed out on topping the overall table on goal difference. One more point, and we would have had two shots at the championship game. But instead, we come away with nothing.

We do, however, qualify for the Liguilla, a tournament that I believe is unique to Uruguay where the top six teams in the overall league table play in a single round-robin league tournament to decide who that year's qualifiers for the Copa Libertadores will be. We've made a great start in this competition - particularly the 3-0 win away to Nacional. Hopefully we can keep it up for our remaining 3 matches to guarantee CL football next season.

[i][b]First Division - Closing Stage Final Standings[/b][/i]
1st     Danubio                 15  9   3   3   28  13   +15  30
[b]2nd     Defensor Sporting       15  8   5   2   28  14   +14  29[/b]
3rd     Cerrito                 15  8   4   3   28  16   +12  28
16th    Liverpool               15  3   4   8   17  23   -6   13

[i][b]First Division - Overall League Table Final Standings[/b][/i]
1st     Danubio                 30  15  8   7   48  26   +22  53
[b]2nd     Defensor Sporting       30  15  8   7   51  31   +20  53[/b]
3rd     River Plate             30  16  4   10  51  40   +11  52
16th    Boston River            30  7   6   17  33  49   -16  27

[i][b]Uruguayan Liguilla Pre-Libertadores[/b][/i]
[b]1st     Defensor Sporting       2   2   0   0   5   1    +4   6[/b]
2nd     Cerrito                 1   1   0   0   3   2    +1   3
3rd     Danubio                 2   1   0   1   3   3    0    3
4th     River Plate             2   0   1   1   1   2    -1   1
5th     Penarol                 2   0   1   1   0   1    -1   1
6th     Nacional                1   0   0   1   0   3    -3   0

defensorsporting.png

Defensor Sporting Club

Season Review - Uruguayan First Division 2011/12 (Season 2)

Uruguayan First Division - Closing Stage: 2nd

Uruguayan First Division - Overall League Table: 2nd

Uruguayan Liguilla Pre-Libertadores: 1st - Champions

Copa Libertadores: 4th in Group A

Season Review: With just six league games and three Copa Libertadores games left to play when I took over as manager of Defensor Sporting, there was not a massive opportunity for me to shape the course of this season. Nevertheless, we were within a point of winning the Closing Stage title and coming top of the overall league table, which would have given us two shots at a title game.

In the Copa Libertadores, we managed to get our only win of the group stage away to Instituto, but we obviously never looked like progressing from what was in truth a relatively tough group. Thanks to our performance in the Liguilla, however, we get another chance to make an impression on the rest of the continent in next season's Copa.

Notable Transfers - In: None after I took over.

Notable Transfers - Out: None after I took over.

My Player of the Season: Rodrigo Pastorini - got most of his 19 starts after I took over at Defensor Sporting and returned the favour with 10 goals.

Most Valuable: Miguel Amado - £2.6m

Top Scorer: Alvaro Navarro - 11 goals (30 apps, 4 subs)

Fans' Player of the Year: Miguel Amado

Impressive progress here over the last couple of days iseemonsters1 :thup:

Congrats on the Preuvian title and comiserations on missing out on a shot at the Uruguayan one (I love how each country in South America has its own crazy league system :D). Good move to Defensor Sporting - I'm sue you can turn them into title contenders with a full season of play next time round.

Impressive progress here over the last couple of days iseemonsters1 :thup:

Congrats on the Preuvian title and comiserations on missing out on a shot at the Uruguayan one (I love how each country in South America has its own crazy league system :D). Good move to Defensor Sporting - I'm sue you can turn them into title contenders with a full season of play next time round.

Thanks DodgeeD! One of my favourite things about managing in South America is figuring out what on earth is going on with each league system!

I'm hopeful we can be title contenders this season - otherwise it sounds like I might be out on my ear! :p

defensorsporting.png

Defensor Sporting Club

Season Preview - Uruguayan First Division 2012/13 (Season 3)

Uruguayan First Division - Media Prediction: 3rd

Uruguayan First Division Opening Stage - Board Expectation: Challenge for title

Uruguayan First Division Closing Stage - Board Expectation: Challenge for title

Transfer Budget: £420k

Wage Budget: £46k p/w

Season Preview: We fell just short at the end of the Closing Stage last season, but there's definitely plenty of promise in the squad. On the other hand, domestic expectations are sky high - the board's minimum expectation is that we win both the Opening and Closing stages (and thus the overall league). I've spent £575k during the summer to strengthen the squad - but I'm not expecting any of those players to be runaway successes - more squad strengthening and giving us more options in a few different positions. Having said that, we were obviously there or thereabouts last season so maybe those few additions will give us the depth we need to take that next step. A lot depends on how Penarol and Nacional do this season - they seemed to be coming good towards the end of last season and if they're on form, their greater resources might be too much for us.

[b]Transfers In[/b]
Luiz Ribeiro                Unattached               Free
Nicolas Correa              Union                    £180k
Renzo Pozzi                 Liverpool (URU)          £110k
Elias Figueroa              Liverpool (URU)          £90k
Rafaal Alemao               Palmeiras                £130k
Rafael                      Vitoria                  £65k

[b]Transfers Out[/b]
Marcelo Fernandez           Millonarios              Free
Sebastian Ariosa            FC Groningen             Free
Rodrigo Mieres              Corinthians (AL)         Free
Gustavo Alles               Sampaio Correa           Free
Martin Silva                Atlas                    Free

Defensor Sporting

Uruguay - First Division - August 2012 Update

[i]Uruguayan First Division (Opening Stage) - August 18th 2012[/i]
[b]Danubio                   2   1   Defensor Sporting[/b]
Daley Mena (11)                   Sebastian Suarez (34)
Sebastian Vazquez (14)

[i]Uruguayan First Division (Opening Stage) - August 26th 2012[/i]
[b]Defensor Sporting         2   1   Cerrito[/b]
Nicolas Correa (33)               Gaston Mendez (83)
Adrian Luna (61)

Notes: Two tough games to start the season - away to last season's champions Danubio, and then home to the team that came 3rd in the Closing Stage, Cerrito. The fans regarded our narrow 2-1 loss to Danubio as devastating. That might be a bit of an overreaction, but to be fair, with the Opening Stage just 15 games long, one defeat can really cost you. But we bounced back by beating Cerrito comfortably to try to put us back on track, especially since nobody managed to win both of their first two games.

[i][b]Uruguayan First Division - Opening Stage[/b][/i]
1st     Rampla Juniors          2   1   1   0   7   3    +4   4
7th     Central Espanol         2   1   0   1   3   3    0    3
[b]8th     Defensor Sporting       2   1   0   1   3   3    0    3[/b]
9th     Penarol                 2   0   2   0   2   2    0    2
16th    Cerro Largo             2   0   0   2   1   6    -5   0

Defensor Sporting

Uruguay - First Division - September 2012 Update

[i]Uruguayan First Division (Opening Stage) - September 2nd 2012[/i]
[b]Plaza Colonia             0   1   Defensor Sporting[/b]
                                 Alvaro Navarro (83)

[i]Uruguayan First Division (Opening Stage) - September 16th 2012[/i]
[b]Defensor Sporting         2   1   River Plate[/b]
Rodrigo Pastorini (42)            Fabricio Nunez (19)
Walter Ibanez (82)

[i]Uruguayan First Division (Opening Stage) - September 22nd 2012[/i]
[b]Penarol                   2   2   Defensor Sporting[/b]
Rodrigo Viega (46)                Rodrigo Pastorini (33)
Jhonathan Ramis (81)              Gonzalo Viera (87)

[i]Uruguayan First Division (Opening Stage) - September 29th 2012[/i]
[b]Defensor Sporting         2   1   Rampla Juniors[/b]
Ramon Arias (74)                  Sebastian Merlo (50)
Alvaro Navarro (79)

Notes: A good run of results this month, with the only game we didn't win being a 2-2 draw away to Penarol - a fixture I'd always be happy to come away with a draw from. We're really grinding out these results though, rather than delivering them with any kind of aplomb - there's a lot more that I need to get out of this team if we're going to live up to our expectations.

[i][b]Uruguayan First Division - Opening Stage[/b][/i]
1st     Nacional                6   5   1   0   10  1    +9   16
2nd     Cerro                   6   4   1   1   9   2    +7   13
[b]3rd     Defensor Sporting       6   4   1   1   10  7    +3   13[/b]
4th     Danubio                 6   3   2   1   10  5    +5   11
16th    Plaza Colonia           6   0   2   4   2   9    -7   2

That is one craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy league system! I'm glad you have it sorted out! :)

What is Cerro doing there in 2nd? Don't they know that's over-achieving for them? :D

Ha ha - good point! :p You'll be glad to know that Cerro restored some order by losing all of their games this month and dropping to 7th.

Archived