[FM11] Cristoval Alvarez vs South America

iseemonsters1

Excellent!!!! The results against Fluminense and Vasco da Gama should make you quite happy; no sneaking in the back door for you!

Exactly! There were some great results in there, and it definitely makes me feel a whole lot better about our ability to mix it with the big boys and stay out of relegation trouble in our first season back in the top flight.

Well, winning the state championships was easy. :p

Next up, winning the league. :D

Haha - might have to wait a few seasons for that one! :p

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice start to life in Rio State. :thup: What are your expectations for Serie A this season? Just survive or will you be pushing for something more?

Thanks! Given our performances against the other three big teams in the Rio championship, I'm hoping that we could realistically aim for mid-table. Anywhere in the 9th-12th range would be a very successful season. 13th-15th would be okay, lower than that and I'll be a little disappointed.

I bet the Flamengo fans love you already! Been catching up on this thread, brilliant career so far and I love the layout, KUTGW!

Thanks for reading! :thup: I'm glad you've been enjoying it. And there's no better way to get the fans onside than to beat the local rivals!

Another shiny trophy-well done!

Thanks! It looks nice in the trophy cabinet. We've got a lot of bigger trophies still to win though! :thup:

Flamengo

Brazil - Serie A - June 2017 Update

[b]Date             Opponent               H/A   Comp.   Score   Scorers[/b]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 10 2017      Nautico                H     CdB     2-0     Bruno Meneghel (2)
May 13 2017      Corinthians            H     CdB     1-1     Joaozinho
May 21 2017      Palmeiras              A     BSA     0-2
May 24 2017      Corinthians            A     CdB     1-1     Nirvana o.g.
May 27 2017      Goias                  A     BSA     4-0     Alex Santos, Johnny o.g., Bruno Meneghel (2)
May 31 2017      Atletico Mineiro       H     BSA     2-1     Everton Ribeiro, Bruno Meneghel
Jun 4 2017       Gremio                 H     BSA     1-4     Vinicius Pacheco
Jun 11 2017      Atletico Paranaense    A     BSA     2-0     Apodi, Rafael o.g.
Jun 18 2017      Bahia                  H     BSA     2-0     Andre Luiz, Fabiano Oliveira
Jun 25 2017      Sport Recife           A     BSA     0-3

[i]BSA = Brazilian Serie A
CdB = Copa do Brasil[/i]

Notes: Not a bad start to life in our return to the Brazilian top flight - in fact, if the season ended right now, we'd be delighted with a 7th place finish. We're only just getting started though, and there are some warning signs to take heed of - while I'm delighted to have won more than half of our matches in the Brasileirao, all of our wins have come against teams in the bottom half of the table - our biggest scalp was Atletico Mineiro, who find themselves in 15th place. When we've come up against quality opposition, in the form of Palmeiras and Gremio, we've been outplayed and soundly beaten (and that's not to mention the 3-0 defeat to Sport Recife which lifted them off the bottom of the table and more than doubled their points tally for the season). And this was a relatively easy start to the season, as we only faced those two big sides - next month, we face Botafogo, Internacional, Cruzeiro and Fluminense, while the month after we'll play Santos, Vasco, Corinthians and Sao Paulo - so things are only going to get harder.

But while it sounds like it's all doom and gloom, I'm actually really pleased with the start to the season - by and large, we're beating the teams that are likely to struggle, and that's the way you stay out of relegation trouble. Keep that up, and we'll have a pretty good season to report on.

[i][b]Brazilian Serie A[/b][/i]
Pos     Team                    P   W   D   L   GF  GA   GD   Pts
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1st     Corinthians             7   5   1   1   12  3    +9   16
6th     Botafogo                7   4   0   3   10  8    +2   12
[b]7th     Flamengo                7   4   0   3   11  10   +1   12[/b]
8th     America (MG)            7   3   2   2   8   5    +3   11
20th    Atletico Paranaense     7   0   4   3   6   10   -4   4

I've been busy with work the past week, so I'm still working towards my next update! :thup:

However, I did just get this very interesting job offer. It's tempting just because Corinthians are another on my list of clubs I'd like to manage at some point, but I'm committed to the challenge of getting Flamengo back to the top. Nice to get the offer though!

Flamengo

Brazil - Serie A - September 2017 Update

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 1 2017       Botafogo               A     BSA     0-1
Jul 9 2017       Portuguesa             H     BSA     3-2     Fabiano Oliveira, Vinicius Pacheco, Guido
Jul 15 2017      Internacional          H     BSA     1-0     Fabiano Oliveira
Jul 23 2017      Cruzeiro               A     BSA     1-2     Guido
Jul 30 2017      Fluminense             H     BSA     0-0
Aug 6 2017       Santos                 A     BSA     3-2     Marcos Paulo, Joaozinho, Everton Ribeiro
Aug 10 2017      America (MG)           H     BSA     2-0     Fabiano Oliveira (2)
Aug 13 2017      Vasco                  A     BSA     2-1     Fabiano Oliveira (2)
Aug 16 2017      Vitoria                H     BSA     0-1
Aug 20 2017      Corinthians            H     BSA     0-0
Aug 27 2017      Sao Paulo              A     BSA     2-1     Fernando, Guido
Aug 30 2017      Ceara                  A     BSA     2-1     Bruno Meneghel, Guido
Sep 2 2017       Atletico Mineiro       A     BSA     1-1     Fabiano Oliveira
Sep 10 2017      Palmeiras              H     BSA     4-0     Eli Sabia, Alex Santos (2), Rodnei o.g.
Sep 16 2017      Goias                  H     BSA     1-2     Joaozinho
Sep 20 2017      Gremio                 A     BSA     0-3
Sep 24 2017      Atletico Paranaense    H     BSA     4-0     Fabiano Oliveira (2), Guido (2)

[i]BSA = Brazilian Serie A[/i]

Notes: With the majority of the season under our belt and with the team sitting in 5th place, I can really have absolutely no complaints about how this campaign is going. Sure, there were a few disappointments - defeat in the da Rivalidade derby against Botafogo, slip ups against Vitoria and Goias, and a heavy defeat against Gremio. But there are also some great results in there - defeating Sao Paulo, Vasco, and Santos, and the 4-0 thrashing of second placed Palmeiras - and in terms of the overall trend, there's no mistaking our upward trajectory. Eleven points down on leaders (and Rio rivals) Botafogo, there's little chance of any sort of title challenge, but I think that really would be far too much to ask for in our first season back in the top flight. Given the generous qualification rules for continental competition in Brazil (you can finish as low as 13th and still make it into the Copa Sudamericana), we should get a chance to test ourselves on a big South American stage next season - and if we can hold on to 5th, that stage should be the Copa Libertadores. There's a lot to play for then, but we can be absolutely delighted with our progress thus far.

1st     Botafogo                24  17  2   5   30  14   +16  53
4th     Vitoria                 24  13  5   6   32  20   +12  44
[b]5th     Flamengo                24  13  3   8   37  27   +10  42[/b]
6th     Sao Paulo               24  11  8   5   33  17   +16  41
20th    Atletico Paranaense     24  1   10  13  14  35   -21  13

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Flamengo

Brazil - Serie A - December 2017 Update

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oct 1 2017       Bahia                  A     BSA     2-1     Bruno Meneghel, Fabiano Oliveira
Oct 8 2017       Sport Recife           H     BSA     1-0     Fernando
Oct 11 2017      Portuguesa             A     BSA     2-0     Wellinton (2)
Oct 15 2017      Botafogo               H     BSA     0-1
Oct 21 2017      Internacional          A     BSA     0-1
Oct 29 2017      Cruzeiro               H     BSA     2-0     Anderson Melo, Thiago Ribeiro o.g.
Nov 1 2017       Fluminense             A     BSA     1-1     Fabiano Oliveira
Nov 4 2017       Santos                 H     BSA     1-1     Anderson Melo
Nov 12 2017      Vasco                  H     BSA     2-0     Fabiano Oliveira, Vinicius Pacheco
Nov 19 2017      America (MG)           A     BSA     2-1     Guido, Fabiano Oliveira
Nov 23 2017      Vitoria                A     BSA     2-2     Marquinhos (2)
Nov 26 2017      Sao Paulo              H     BSA     1-0     Anderson Melo
Dec 3 2017       Corinthians            A     BSA     1-2     Guido
Dec 10 2017      Ceara                  H     BSA     4-0     Eli Sabia, Fabiano Oliveira (3)

[i]BSA = Brazilian Serie A[/i]

Notes: It's been a while, I know. You know how real life has a habit of getting in the way of FM...

So, having said that, I don't completely remember everything that happened at the end of the 2017 season. We were deeply embroiled in the battle for continental qualification, though not really ever in the hunt for the championship - after all, in our first season ofter promotion, that was probably a bridge too far. We had some disappointments, including defeat to rivals Botafogo and Corinthians, but we got the job done against some of the lesser teams to ensure that we finished an impressive 4th, which means that we will play in the Copa Libertadores next season. Which, ultimately, was a pretty solid achievement in our first year back in the top flight!

1st     Palmeiras               38  21  13  4   64  23   +41  76
3rd     Gremio                  38  20  10  8   60  35   +25  70
[b]4th     Flamengo                38  21  6   11  58  37   +21  69[/b]
5th     Vitoria                 38  20  8   10  47  32   +15  68
20th    Atletico Paranaense     38  5   13  20  25  48   -23  28

flamengo.png

CR Flamengo

Season Review - Brazilian Serie A 2017 (Season 8)

Brazilian Serie A: 4th

Campeonato Carioca: 1st - Champions

Copa do Brasil: Lost in Quarter Final

Season Review: It was a triumphant return to the top flight in many ways for Brazil's most popular club, as we marked my first attempt at managing in a Brazilian State Championship by defeating our local rivals en route to becoming the champions of the Campeonato Carioca. Particularly pleasing was doing the double over arch-rivals Fluminense in the two Fla-Flu derbies played during the state championship - my first experience of this most intense rivalry.

The league was in many ways just as impressive - while we were never in the title picture, after about ten games we'd re-adapted to the top division and from then on we were always in the hunt for continental qualification. With a few other clubs falling away towards the end, we got the job done against some of the lesser teams at the business end of the season and managed to finish 4th, returning Flamengo to South America's premier continental competition, the Copa Libertadores.

Notable Transfers - In: We did all of our transfer business as soon as the transfer window opened, and managed to acquire several promising youngsters. Versatile defender Sisenando was secured from Sao Paulo for £500k, and despite being only 17 years old became something of a fixture in the first team as the season went on, eventually making 29 starts and a further 19 substitute appearances. The biggest signing, at £2.1m, was attacking midfielder Andre Luiz, a 20 year old with 13 Brazilian youth caps to his name, and who I have high hopes will eventually be adding senior caps to that tally. The cultured midfielder played in nearly half of our league games and is developing well.

Notable Transfers - Out: This was my first real chance to clean house since I joined Flamengo, and no fewer than 25 players either left the club or were sent out on loan during this season. The most notable departure was long time servant Erick Flores - despite having been with Flamengo since 2004, the £2m on offer from Gremio was too much to pass up when I was looking for money to rebuild the side for the future.

My Player of the Season: Fabiano Oliveira - It's hard to look past the 30 year old striker, who had an unexpected break out year. After being with the club ever since coming through the youth setup in 2004, the former Under-20 international had never scored more than 15 goals in a season for Flamengo. This year, he notched 35 in all competitions, to finish joint 3rd in the Brazilian Golden Boot table.

Most Valuable: Guido - £3.3m

Top Scorer: Fabiano Oliveira - 35 goals (49 apps, 5 sub)

flamengo.png

CR Flamengo

Season Preview - Brazilian Serie A 2018 (Season 9)

Brazilian Serie A - Media Prediction: 8th

Brazilian Serie A - Board Expectation: Respectable league position

Transfer Budget: £500k

Wage Budget: £275k p/w

Season Preview: In a rare eventuality for me, I haven't signed anyone yet this off season, and I don't anticipate doing so before the season proper gets underway. That's not to say that I don't see any improvements that can be made to the side - we're in need of either a left-back or a left-midfielder, and several of our players are beginning to get up there in years so we'll need to think about replacements soon. But our financial situation has led to the board putting serious constraints on my ability to strengthen. They've slashed the wage budget by £45k p/w - nearly 15% - and lowering our transfer budget from the £500k they set it at won't allow me to spend more on wages. It's a shame since there are some good players available on free transfers, but I'm left in the situation of cutting the squad, not adding to it.

However, although it puts a dampener on my ability to wheel and deal, I have to accept the reality both of Flamengo's financial situation and Brazilian football as a whole. Despite the £15m we brought in this off season, from TV rights and sponsorship, the £56m we still owe to the state is a major expense of £6m a year. Our wage bill was also clearly too high last season - at nearly 70% of our income, we're living beyond our means. And that's the case for a lot of Brazilian sides - you try to make enough money from selling your best players to Europe to keep your head above water and to maintain a competitive team.

On that note, one of the successes of the break was keeping exciting young striker Guido at the club without making him too unhappy. There's a lot of European interest in the youngster, and we received a bid from Valencia - but with the amount offered being slightly less even than his value (£3.7m), and most of it offered over several years, there was little chance of that being expected. This is a player with three years left on his contract and a £116m release clause - I accept the probability that he will leave in the next year or so, but I want to make sure it's on our terms.

There's plenty of talent already in the squad, and while we could make improvements, I still have high hopes of being able to maintain our performance from last season. If we can finish in the top 5 again, thus maintaining our Libertadores place, challenge for the Campeonato Carioca, and get past the group stage of the Copa Libertadores, I'll consider that a very good season.

[b]Transfers In[/b]
Player                      From                     Fee
----------------------------------------------------------
None

[b]Transfers Out[/b]
Player                      To                       Fee
----------------------------------------------------------
Romulo                      Unattached               Free
Jorge Fellipe               Unattached               Free
Domingos                    Unattached               Free
Paulo Victor                Unattached               Free
Anderson                    Unattached               Free
Filipe                      Unattached               Free
Matheus                     Unattached               Free
Bolacha                     America (MG)             Loan

Flamengo

Brazil - Serie A - March 2018 Update

Jan 14 2018      Olaria                 A     CC      3-0     Everton Ribeiro, Guido (2)
Jan 18 2018      Fluminense             H     CC      1-0     Guido
Jan 21 2018      Bonsucesso             A     CC      3-0     Paulo, Eli Sabia, Fabiano Oliveira
Jan 28 2018      Madureira              H     CC      3-1     Fernando, Rodrigo (2)
Jan 31 2018      Municipal Iquique      A     CL      3-0     Alex Santos, Segura o.g., Guido
Feb 3 2018       America (RJ)           H     CC      5-1     Marquinhos, Fabiano Oliveira (2), Paulista, Guido
Feb 7 2018       Municipal Iquique      H     CL      3-1     Fabio, Paulo, Fabiano Oliveira
Feb 9 2018       Tigres do Brasil       A     CC      9-1     Rodrigo, Fabiano Oliveira (2), Guido, Everton Ribeiro, Marquinhos (2), Vinicius Pacheco, Paulo
Feb 11 2018      Cabofriense            H     CC      2-0     Guido (2)
Feb 18 2018      Vasco                  N     CC      2-1     Guido (2)
Feb 25 2018      Botafogo               N     CC      1-1     Fabiano Oliveira
Feb 28 2018      Tolima                 A     CL      2-0     Guido (2)
Mar 11 2018      Vasco                  A     CC      0-1
Mar 14 2018      Palmeiras              H     CL      2-3     Guido, Saimon o.g.
Mar 16 2018      Volta Redonda          H     CC      4-0     Rodrigo, Bruno Meneghel (2), Tony
Mar 18 2018      Friburguense           A     CC      2-1     Ramirez, Tony
Mar 21 2018      Universidad Catolica   H     CL      3-1     Guido, Fabiano Oliveira, Alex Santos
Mar 25 2018      Boavista (RJ)          A     CC      4-2     Bruno Meneghel (3), Rodrigo
Mar 27 2018      Bangu                  H     CC      1-0     Rodrigo
Mar 29 2018      Duque de Caxias        A     CC      2-0     Andre Luiz, Castanho

[i]CC = Campeonato Carioca[/i]
[i]CL = Copa Libertadores[/i]

Notes: The season began in January, as always, with the Campeonato Carioca, and we started in fine form, blowing through the opposition in the opening stage of the state championship, winning every game in the group stage comfortably (including a win over arch rivals Fluminense). We finished top of our group and faced Vasco in the semi final, who we dispatched with a 2-1 victory. But we finally came unstuck in the final, where despite being down to ten men after 16 minutes, we took the lead just after half time and held on until the 89th minute, when Botafogo snatched an equaliser. After a scoreless extra period, we missed our first two penalties in the shootout and ended up losing 4-2 in front of a capacity crowd at the Maracana.

The closing stage of the Campeonato Carioca sees us face all the teams in the other group, starting out with another game against Vasco - a game that this time we slipped to a 1-0 defeat in. We've bounced back and won the rest of our games so far though, putting us top of our group - though Fluminense have a game in hand on us. Nevertheless, we're well placed to finish in the top two, which means we should make it to the finals of the competition again. It'll be quite the gauntlet to run if we're to retain our Rio state championship though - we'll most likely faced two from Vasco, Botafogo, and Fluminense to win the closing stage, and even if we do that, we'll then face another game against opening stage winners (and last season's Serie A runners-up) Botafogo for the overall title.

We also got our Copa Libertadores campaign underway, facing Chilean side Municipal Iquique in the preliminary round, who we sailed by easily 6-1 on aggregate. In our group, we were drawn against reigning Brazilian champions Palmeiras, Colombian runners-up Tolima, and another Chilean side, Universidad Catolica, who actually topped the Chilean league table but lost out to Colo Colo in the playoffs the previous season. It wasn't the easiest draw, but since we were amongst the lowest seeds, it could have been much worse. Palmeiras are clearly group favourites, but I'm confident we can finish above the other two in 2nd and proceed to the next round. And results have borne out that expectation, as we've so far defeated Tolima and Universidad Catolica but lost a heartbreaker 3-2 against Palmeiras.

[i][b]Campeonato Carioca Opening Stage Group 2[/b][/i]
[b]1st     Flamengo                7   7   0   0   26  3    +23  21[/b]
2nd     Fluminense              7   6   0   1   21  3    +18  18
3rd     America (RJ)            7   3   1   3   12  10   +2   10
4th     Madureira               7   3   1   3   10  8    +2   10
8th     Tigres do Brasil        7   1   0   6   5   30   -25  3

[i][b]Campeonato Carioca Closing Stage Group 2[/b][/i]
[b]1st     Flamengo                6   5   0   1   13  4    +9   15[/b]