[FM11] They Came From the East.....

HunterKiller

A couple of astute signings there. Sometimes less is more in the footballing world. Less players to gel into the squad and the players you already have are used to your tactic etc. Good Luck for the new season. :)

Thanks ToMexico!!, yeah I didn't want to mess with the formula too much this season!

Midseason Update 2015-16 Siirtspor (Turkish First Division)

Another good first half of the season; we sit four points behind leaders Altay, and 11 points clear of seventh place. Arslan and Özer have forged a great partnership up front, and Basaran just behind is having probably his best season in a Siirtspor shirt so far. Only bad news at present is that it turns out First Division sides cannot sign foreign players over 23 - that means that Mantsur and Silva will be off on free transfers at the end of the season as I cannot offer them new contracts.

League Table

Performance of the season so far is either the 5-0 thumping of Fethiyespor with young striker Metin Tuncay bagging his first goals for the club, or a hard-fought 1-0 (Basaran) win over leaders Altay at Siirt Ataturk which was their first defeat of the season. Home form is superb so far, going unbeaten at our place for the first half of the season is a major factor in our good league perfomance so far.

In transfer news, young Czech Jaroslav Spevak joined on a free in January together with another risky signing; Argentine centre-back Omar Páez joins for a whopping £300k to stiffen up the back line. Hopefully, he will be able to ensure that we continue our form and avoid the disappointing slump we suffered last season.

Season 2015-16 Siirtspor (Turkish First Division)

A very creditable season, we managed to hold on to a good start this time around and make the playoffs! Altay ran away with the championship, leaving a group of around 10 teams scrapping for the second auto promotion spot and the playoffs. We showed surprising consistency, never dropping out of the top seven, to book our place in the post season run of games. This was mainly due to solid home form; we picked up 36 of our 55 points at Siirt Ataturk with only one defeat, a record matched only by Altay.

Playoff Table

As you can see, the actual playoffs were not our finest hour; two comfortable defeats in the opening two games rendered a 3-0 victory in the last match academic.

League Table

Position Graph

Squad

Squad

Probably the first year where I have felt comfortable rotating some players on occasion - there will be some departures in the summer with Mantsur and Silva unable to sign new contracts.

Transfers

A bit of business in January for the first time really; Paez needed a leave of absence but once settled he was a commanding figure at centre back.

Finances

Still just over £3 million in the bank, despite some extravagant transfer fees.

Key Players

Irfan Basaran - Superb season, probably the best he has had since signing. Combined accurate passing with more of a goal threat than usual; also voted Player of the Year for the Division and named in the Team of the Year.

Aykut Arslan - The student becomes the master; Aykut outscored the legendary Ozer this season with 24 goals, making him the top scorer in the league. Also came second in the Player of the Year voting, and featured in the Team of the Year. £40k is beginning to look like a bargain!

Nezir Özer - Less goals this year, but 9 assists show he is beginning to develop a very good partnership with Arslan, despite a hamstring injury restricting appearances in the latter part of the season. Came third in Player of the Year (completing a clean sweep for Siirtspor).

Young Guns (HG denotes from Siirtspor Academy)

Erdem Karagülle - Has potential to develop into a great centre back, and will probably get some first team opportunities next year.

Mehmet Ali Gündüz - Came into the midfield alongside Basaran for a large part of the season, and showed some glimpses of promise. Current Turkey Under-21 international.

Metin Tuncay (HG) - Made his first appearances and scored his first goals for the club; remains to be seen whether he will make the grade long-term.

Recep Erarslan - Came in to fill a gap on the left wing and opened his Siirtspor account.

Yilmaz Gül - Strong and good in the air, received his first call up to Begium Under-19's this season.

Next Season

Playoffs will again be the aim, and with our consistent form (especially at home) we may even be able to grab an automatic promotion spot. Much will depend on the defensive side of things, as our attack looks potent enough to trouble any side.

Season    Club                  Division                       Position  Notes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010-11   Juventus Bucharest    Romananian 2nd League Group 1   15th     Relegated, resigned
2011-12   Siirtspor             Turkish 2nd Division Group B    4th      Lost in Playoffs QF
2012-13   Siirtspor             Turkish 2nd Division Group B    1st      Promoted, Manager of the Year
2013-14   Siirtspor             Turkish 1st Division            15th  
2014-15   Siirtspor             Turkish 1st Division            13th
2015-16   Siirtspor             Turkish 1st Division            4th      Lost in Playoffs

Pre Season 2016-2017 - Siirtspor (Turkish First Division)

Massively disappointing news to start; Özer is no more :( He'd been angling for a move to a bigger club for about two seasons, and with his contract up at the end of the season was refusing to renegotiate. So it was with a heavy heart that I offered him around, and Eskhieshirspor from the Premier Division met his release fee of £300k (stupidly low) to guarantee his services for the coming year. Nezir scored 82 league goals (a Siirtspor record) for us over 128 games with 25 assists; not bad for a player who I wasn't sure was worth £45k! I'll be reporting on both him and Karabulut at the end of the season to see how they are faring away from Siirt Ataturk.

In good news, the board are still backing me financially, setting aside £1.1 million for transfers and a wage budget of £41k; season ticket sales rose slightly to 1,572. Bids were also rejected for Paez (£300k from River Plate) and young striker Tuncay (£40k), while Katip was the subject of much interest from last year's champions Altay. It looks as though the board have finally realised we have a good team, demanding a playoff place as a minimum. In the wake of the Özer debacle, Arslan has been signed to a new four year deal.

Transfers

All of the maturing youth were released, with the academy still failing to produce any useful youngsters. Other than that, I spent wages and a bit of money on four key players for our promotion push:

Israel - Former Real Madrid trainee, I will be looking to him to support Arslan up top in the Özer role. Can also do a job on the wings.

Kerem Bulut - The only signing to cost money, Bulut provides some threat from the left wing which we have not really had since Karabulut left.

Mert Özcanlar - Another versatile winger/forward who looks to have a good eye for goal.

Michele Longhi - Surplus to requirements at AC Milan, can cover both full back positions and has great potential for improvement.

Despite the loss of a legend, I feel that we have an outside shot at the title this year. The media agree to a point, putting us at 25-1 for the championship and predicting a finish of 6th. If we can carry on our impressive home form from last year and grind out some points away, we will definitely be there or thereabouts at the sharp end of the season.

Er, no half season update this year; I got a bit carried away with the save :o

Season 2016-17 Siirtspor (Turkish First Division)

We have reached the promised land of the Premier Division \0/ We had to do it via the playoffs, with both Mersin and Bucaspor proving too strong in the end and pushing us to third-placed finish.

Playoff Table

Unlike last year, we looked comfortable against the other top teams. A goalless draw against Samsunspor to start was disappointing, espeically as we bossed the game. Arslan then scored 3 in the next two games as we won both 3-1 to claim the final promotion spot!

League Table

Any thoughts that we may struggle for goals without Özer were dispelled in the second game of the season, running out 7-1 winners away at Tarsus with Arslan bagging five. We managed to go the first eight games unbeaten, setting out our intent to push for promotion. We stayed in and around the top for the rest of the campaign, but our form petered out frustratingly in the last ten games, allowing Bocuspor to snatch the title and Mersin to claim second place by two points. We did however manage to break the record for goals in a season, with 70 scored. Our defence again proved to be problem :o

Turkish Cup

In a good showing, we made the group stage of the cup for the first time, drawn with 3 Premier League teams and 1 from our own league. 3 draws and one defeat left us bottom of the group, but far from humiliated.

Cup Table

Squad

Squad

Good solid performances all over the place; a few will be on their way soon as I look to build for a tough season in the top league.

Transfers

Er, not much of note here really!

Finances

Still pretty good; the board coughed up and bought the stadium, not sure why they had to take out a loan to do so. The increase in TV revenue and hopefully season ticket sales should cover that comfortably though.

Key Players

Aykut Arslan - Truly a temendous season, probably the most consistent striker I have had on FM. 30 goals in 31 league appearances brings him to 65 goals for the club, just 17 behind current record holder Özer. Voted Fan's Player of the Year, Top Goalscorer, came third in the Player of the Year voting and was named in the Team of the Year. The first and only icon listed at Siirtspor, I can only hope that we can hold onto him!

Raif Ünal - Played a lot of games in the defensive minded midfield role which is not ideal, but still managed to lay on an impressive 17 goals for his colleagues (mainly from set pieces). Won Player of the Year and was named on the Team of the Year.

Omar Páez - The Argentinian rock at the back, also contributing nine goals from set pieces. Imperious in the air and strong in the tackle.

Metin Tuncay (HG) - Made quite a few appearances this year, and impressed with his composed finishing.

Ex-Siirts

Nezir Özer (31.08.2012 - 19.07.2016 ) - Very few opportunities since he left, makes me want to try a cheeky bid....

Aydin Karabult (15.06.2010 - 01.07.2014) - Really has not impressed at his new club; is it wrong that that makes me happy?

Next Season

The aim is simple; stay in the league. The defence needs new blood, and the relaxation of rules on foreign players in the top division will allow me to keep players like Paez at the club and utilise our network to bring in some exciting talent. It's not going to be easy, but boy am I looking forward to it!

eason    Club                  Division                       Position  Notes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010-11   Juventus Bucharest    Romananian 2nd League Group 1   15th     Relegated, resigned
2011-12   Siirtspor             Turkish 2nd Division Group B    4th      Lost in Playoffs QF
2012-13   Siirtspor             Turkish 2nd Division Group B    1st      Promoted, Manager of the Year
2015-16   Siirtspor             Turkish 1st Division            4th      Lost in Playoffs
2016-17   Siirtspor             Turkish 1st Division            3rd      Promoted via playoffs, Manger of the Year

Way to go! Now the question is, can you compete with the Galatasarays of the world?? :D

Gonna bid on Özer? ;)

Thanks DSYoungEsq, got to admit I'm pretty chuffed! It's going to be a long hard season, but at least I've finally signed a new keeper! I did have a little look at Özer, he's actually transfer listed but they won't let him go for anything less than £240k. That seems a bit expensive to me, but if I can't find any other strikers, who knows? I would be pretty happy to see him and Arslan up top together!

Pre Season 2017-2018 - Siirtspor (Turkish Premier Division)

Our first season up with the big boys is predicted to be a struggle; the media have us at 2000-1 and finishing dead last, which is pretty much what I expected! The board have asked for a brave battle against relegation, and have provided a war chest of £2.7 million with a £57k wage budget to try and stay in the division. We have also signed a new two year sponsorship deal, worth £240k over 2 years, more than doubling the value of the previous one and season ticket sales have risen to 2,358.

Transfers

It's been a busy summer; first the outs. Kerem Bulut had been pretty good down the left but his head was turned by othe TPD clubs, and I had to let him go. Same story with the promising Longhi; we did manage to get a deal worth £625k plus 35% of future fees which I think is fair. A few players have gone out on loan for the season; for a player like Colak this is probably his last chance to prove he warrants a place at Siirt Ataturk.

In-wise, with the foreign player quota rising to 8 in the TPD, my scouts were working overtime to bring in some quality. Some of the key ones are:

Artur Rud'ko (Free) - Ukrainian keeper who looks to be a great shot stopper, if slightly more eccentric than I would like. Probably first choice over the other GK signing, the inexperienced Milan Majhenic.

Bora Kalyon (£275k) - Massive experience in the middle of either defence or midfield, his lack of pace probably means he will see most time in the DM role.

Fwayo Tembo (Free) - Zambian international that can play on either wing, although I will be mainly using him on the right. Again, a bit more exoerience to go with the youthfulness of much of the squad.

Vladimir Sovis (£325k) - If I'm honest, Sovis was a bit of a panic buy to replace Longhi (and an expensive one at that!). He looks solid enough, but I'm just not convinced!

In general, I think the squad has been strengthened in almost all areas over the summer. The only position where I could not find any players at the right price was up top. This will put pressure on more inexperienced players such as Tuncay and Israel to provide backup to Arslan; this lad from the youth academy will also get his chance this season. If we score regularly, we'll stay up; if Arslan has a lean season, we are definitely in trouble.

Thanks ToMexico!! Unfortunately, Arslan broke his leg in the seventh game of the season (3 goals), and is only now getting back to fitness with about seven or eight games to go. Needless to say, we've been struggling for goals!

Big news on the career front however; I will be off to pastures new at the end of the season :cool: You'll have to wait for the end of season review for the details, but I'm off to another unknown (for me) league and the team is one of the traditional powerhouses in that country. First one to guess correctly gets five virtual pounds!

Thanks ToMexico!! Unfortunately, Arslan broke his leg in the seventh game of the season (3 goals), and is only now getting back to fitness with about seven or eight games to go. Needless to say, we've been struggling for goals!

Big news on the career front however; I will be off to pastures new at the end of the season :cool: You'll have to wait for the end of season review for the details, but I'm off to another unknown (for me) league and the team is one of the traditional powerhouses in that country. First one to guess correctly gets five virtual pounds!

That's was a shame about Arslan, I had the same with a couple of key players this season, Woozley out for the season with damaged crutiates but managed to sign a player to fill his void. Looking forward to finding out who your new club is.

Season 2017-18 Siirtspor (Turkish Premier Division)

Well, it was a struggle, but Siirtspor will remain in the top league next season. They will, however, have to do without my managerial talents as an offer came in that I just couldn't refuse...

League Table

Positions Graph

As predicted, we struggled for goals throughout the season, mainly due to the absence of Arslan, who played just 14 games and bagged five goals. Again, the defence was worryingly bad, with only bottom club Kasimpasa conceding more.

The season started brightly, with a 3-1 home win against fellow promoted team Mersin. This was followed up with a stark notice of life in the big leagues, Galatasary thumping us 3-0 at their place; it could have been ten. Karsiyaka handed us our worst defeat in week eight, scoring five without reply. The worst part was probably former Siirtspor winger Kerem Bulut scroing a brace :mad: Things picked up in November however, and we went on a superb run of six unbeaten with only one draw to round off the first half of the season and leave us sitting in a fairly comfortable midtable position.

The second half of the season was a lot more of a struggle; we were beaten 4-2 at Mersin in the first game back and that sent us spiralling into a run of 11 games without a win (1 draw). Only the poor form of those below us kept us out of the relegation zone, and a 2-0 win home to Kasimpasa eventually stopped the rot. A creditable away draw at Gaziantepspor followed, before a crucial home game against Bucaspor, who at the time were two points behind us in the last relegation place. Star youth Huseyin Durgut scored his first and second goals for the club to give us a vital 3-1 win and virtually secure safety, with a 1-0 win against already relegated Goztepe finishing the season on a high note.

Squad

Squad

A lot of underperformers in there in my opinion; perhaps the most striking thing (if you'll pardon the pun) is the lack of goals, with only Arslan and Basaran netting five each.

Transfers

A bit of action in January, as a couple of disappointing players that were taking up foreign spots in the team were offloaded. Brazilian Roberto came in to add solidity to the midfield, while Lebohang Mokoena sought to add some firepower upfront. Both failed.

Finances

Still very healthy, mainly due to the fact that the TPD pays out £263,000 to the winning team on every league game, with around £130k awarded for a draw :eek:

Key Players

Irfan Basaran - One of the better performers in the suqad, passed the ball consistently well and popped up with a few crucial goals from midfield.

Alper Bahadir - Consistent at either right or left back and still improving, now looking to move to a bigger club.

Hüseyin Durgut (HG) - Looks to have immense talent for his age, and scored goals for the club in a crucial relegation match. Hopefully the new manager will recognise his potential and continue his development.

Ex-Siirts

Nezir Özer - Another frustrating season stuck in the Reserves at Eskhieshirspor. Tried to nab him before the start of the season, but the £240k asking price was just too much of a gamble.

Aydin Karabulut - Loaned by Zilina back to Turkey, and did well enough.

Kerem Bulut - Great debut season for Karsiyaka, and is now a fully fledged Austalian international due to dual nationality.

Michele Longhi - Solid first season for the young Italian left back, should only get better.

New Job - AEK Athens (Greek Superleague)

Halfway through the season, I was approached by Greek giants AEK, with the team struggling in midtable of the Greek Superleague. I have to admit, it took a long, hard consideration before I accepted as I have really become attached to Siirtspor and it's squad. However, the offer was just too good to refuse, and with the new job not starting until the end of the season this gave me a chance to make sure that Siirtspor remained in the Prenier Division for at least another season. Here is a comparison of how the two teams differ:

AEK Information / Siirtspor Information

AEK Facilities / Siirtspor Facilities

Leaving Siirtspor :(

Mass Exodus :D

Taking Over the Reins

Next Season

AEK have generally been unimpressive, finishing 8th and 9th in previous seasons. My aim as I see it is to get into the top four and challenge for Europe; whether this will be possible or not is unclear. It is certainly a massive step up, and I am really looking forward to the challenge.

2016-17   Siirtspor             Turkish 1st Division            3rd      Promoted via playoffs, Manger of the Year
2017-18   Siirtspor             Turkish Premier Division        14th     Accepted AEK job

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the comments DSYoungEsq and AK22; I agree that it may be a dangerous move for my health! Champions League is definately the aim, although there are only two spots available currently and we fell slightly short this season.

Season 2018-2019 AEK Athens (Greek Superleague)

Expectations are higher than at Siirtspor, the board giving me £6 million in the transfer kitty and £95k per week for wages and demanding European qualification. The media predict a fifth-placed finish (enough for Europa League), and 13,407 season tickets were sold for the campaign.

The league got off to a slow start, winning only once in the first four games, and I began to wish I'd never left Turkey! I take full responsibility for that, as I hadn't settled on a first choice XI for the season. Our home form especially began to improve (a 2-0 defeat to PAOK an exception) and at the halfway point we were beginning to mount a challenge on the top five. The addition of an ageing but talented David Silva and exciting young Chilean striker Rodolfo Ortiz in January galvanised the team, and a top two finish seemed like a real possibility coming into the last ten games. Panathanaikos and PAOK proved too strong however, and we had to settle for a very pleasing third place at the end of the regular season.

This sent us into the European Playoff (teams 2nd - 5th), where the top team is guaranteed a Champions League spot while the remaining sides go into the Europa League. Too many draws here cost us, and we finished one point behind qualifiers Olympiakos.

Playoff Table

League Table

Position Graph

Squad

Squad

A lot of deadwood will be released in the summer, as I am currently over the wage budget. Overall, good depth and a number of promising back up players.

Transfers -

A fair bit of business was done, with the most notable being Ricci (see below), and the experienced David Silva.

Finances

We are in good shape depsite being over the wage budget, and a good show in Europe next season can only improve matters.

Key Players

Dimitris Pappas - On loan last season, Pappas returned to AEK with a vengeance this year, scoring 13 league goals in 23 appearances. Had it not been for some niggling injuries, I think he could have had a shot at top scoring in the league.

Nicola Ricci - A young, strong centre back who is dominant in the air and a threat from set pieces. Looks like a bargain at £1.3 million, and we struggled whenever he was absent.

Fabrizio Croce - Dependable right back, one of the most consistent performers in the team.

Young Guns

Grigoris Samaras (HG) - Despite having an unfortunate surname, he has been banging them in a under-20 level this season. May see some action in the senior squad next year.

Former Club Watch

Siirtspor got off to a good start by replacing me with this guy, who looks solid enough and is also working with the Turkey under-19 squad. They eventually finish an impressive ninth, cementing their place in the big league. Disappointingly, Arslan only played two games this season without scoring :confused:

Next Season

With a lot of players leaving in the summer, the aim is to increase the depth of the squad to cope with the rigours of European competition. Areas to strengthen include a centre back partner for Ricci, possibly a new goalkeeper (:D) and some more opions on the wings. With that, I am confident we can mount a serious challenge for the title.

2017-18   Siirtspor             Turkish Premier Division        14th     Accepted AEK job
2018-19   AEK Athens            Greek Superleague               3rd      Europa League Qualification

Thanks Raware! Yeah, sorry for the delay all, I just got halfway through the season and kind of fell out of love with FM. It's weird, I sort of overload on the game for a month and then just stop playing. Does that happen to anyone else?

It definitely happens to me. But the best thing is to do as you did...take a break and the addiction comes back after a while :D

Pre-Season 2019-2020 AEK Athens (Greek Superleague)

The good news is that the board are remaining realistic for the season ahead, allowing me a transfer budget of £3.6 million and £100k a week wages for European qualification. The media are pegging us as one of the favourites for the title behind Panathanaikos and PAOK, which I would be happy with come the end of the campaign. PAOK actually tried to poach my services a few weeks before the end of the transfer window, but one look at the paltry finances on offer meant I decided to stay with AEK.

Transfers

Squad

A lot of players came to the end of their contracts over the summer, and the deadwood was pruned out of the squad ruthlessly. Only three players came in (one a young Ukrainian CB for the future), the notable two are:

Nenê - Quick, strong, good in the air and only 19, I'm tipping this lad to be a star this season. Will probably be starting up top whenever possible.

Borko Antonic - Very quick and looks to have the makings of a very good full back at just 18.

The European adventure has already begun; Banik Ostrava were despatched in the 3rd Qualifying Round 4-2 on aggregate, Nenê bagging his first goal for the club in the comfortable 3-0 home victory. Lech Poznan were a trickier proposition, a nervy 1-0 win at home followed by a 1-1 draw in Poland in which Nenê scored again. We are now in the group stages, and await the draw to see our next opponents. The league kicks off with a cracker at home to last year's runners-up PAOK, where I hope we will show our title credentials.

Thanks rlipscombe, he's going pretty well at the moment though the homegrown Pappas is outshining him so far this year! I can't understand why the previous manager had him on loan the season before I arrived, and to a side in the same division as well :confused:

No wonder he got the sack :D

Midseason 2019-2020 AEK Athens (Greek Superleague)

Fairly happy with our position; after fifteen games we sit fourth in the league, 5 points clear of the team outside the European Playoff spot. Iraklis have had a great start to the year, and look like they may well run away with title, but behind them it is all quite tight. Our home form has been encouraging with 6 wins out of 7, but we need to improve the away form if we have any chance at all of sneaking top spot, espcially with trips to PAOK and Olympiakos to come.

The Europa League dream is over in the group stage. Despite a chastening 7-1 spanking at the home of Benfica in the first game, we faced Ukrainian side Metalist away on the last night needing only a point to qualify. Sadly, deprived of some first team players we just didn't turn up and capitulated 3-0.

Player-wise, Ricci has performed impressively and new left-back Antonic has slotted in well. The star again is Pappas though with 15 goals in 24 games in all competitions, and he is outperforming the Brazilian Nenê at present.One player joined right at the end of the transfer window, young Slovenian Tomaz Sluga joining us for £1.1 million. Looks to be a good bet at either centre back or in the defensive midfield slot.

Archived