International challenge

Well after my defeat against Canada, i had to pick myself up. However it didn't start well with a 2-1 Loss against Malta. Still i bounced back with a 2-0 home win against Brundi and the a 1-0 away win against Puerto Rico at the end of the year.

Now in 2009, my friendlies didn't have the best of starts I drew 1-1 away atSint Maarten though considering i equalised after i got my captain sent off it wasn't too bad. My last game up till now was a 3-1 home win against a more than worthy Somalia, it could so easily have been a draw!

Anyways of this writing i'm in March 2009 and 131st in the rankings.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Belize, June 15th 2008

World Cup Qual (NAM) First Phase Second Round results:

Belize - Cuba: 4-2

A result I was quite pleased with, especially since the match was quite even, but we were just much more lethal upfront. My star striker (Selvin de Leon, a chap who wasn't in the national pool at the start) scores the first hattrick for Belize.

They scored their second goal three minutes into extra time, which made me still a bit worried for the second leg.

And that second leg was... extraordinary:

Cuba - Belize: 5-7

What a crazy match!

It started as I feared, with the early goal for Cuba.

Then turned into a nightmare, with a straight red for my left winger.

And then Cuba scored their second, putting them through on away goals. 15 minutes in, we're a man down. I think it's over.

But two minutes later my right winger breaks through on his own and claws one back. I'm punching my fist, not over yet!

Another three minutes later, my MC captain scores a rocket ball from 20 yards, his first international goal. I'm screaming out loud!

Barely a minute later, my striker scores... I don't even remember how. I'm dancing through the room at this point.

Cuba needs 4 goals to win at this point.

They score two of them before half time, and I get worried again.

I sit there for 5 minutes at half time, debating whether to make some substitutions and close up shop. Eventually decide not to, and stick to my 4-3-2. They're vulnerable at the back.

It turns out to be the right choice. My star striker scores another hattrick, in barely 12 minutes, and I know it's in the bag. Their extra time goal didn't matter anymore.

So, to my astonishment, Belize remains undefeated after a year in charge. (Though, granted, I picked easy friendlies opponents.)

We're now into the Second Phase of World Cup Qualifying, and are in a group with USA, Canada and Haiti. Six matches, between August and November, top two moves on to the next phase.

A year ago I would have said impossible, but now I don't know. USA will likely be too strong, but if we can get results against the other two... Still a tough task though. But I'll see. Even just getting a few points here and there would be good, in the long run.

Thanks to the win and draw against St Kitts and Nevis a few months ago, we're now 151st in the ranking. The two wins against Cuba will probably see us surge up some more next month.

So far so good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoachFlu:

Belize records

Forgot to tag this screenie onto the back.

8 matches played (7 wins, one draw).

Two players with 8 caps.

Topscorer: Selvin de Leon (10 goals in 6 matches). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

great start to the challenge.... keep it up!! icon14.gif

So here go the qualifiers...

Faroe Is. 0 - 3 Turkey

We show real defensive grit but are broken by a Villareal striker scoring a fab solo goal on 20 minutes. He scores gain 7 minutes later and despite a promising start we are 2 down. After that the game is fairly even but we concede 2 minutes into first half injury time. A sending off for a second yellow after 68 minutes spoils any chance of a late rally. A reasonable performance given we were missing 2 key players.

Moldova 3 - 0 Faroe Is.

Conceding on 43 minutes was a crushing blow after being the better side on the balance of play. Conceding again in injury time was horrible. A harsh penalty on 89 minutes made it look like a thumping when it was anything but.

Faroe Is 0 - 4 Hungary

A good goal sees us behind after 13 minutes. A complete absence of tackling lets Hungary add another on 50 minutes. The third 2 minutes later was equally disappointing. The fourth on 78 minutes makes me think I should abandon the challenge and resign. I have new generation of better players and yet we are still the whipping boys, even for carp teams. Perhaps I am being too harsh but i really feel disappointed now when we lose 3 - 0.

For the record my end of year world ranking is 150.

Belize, September 6th 2008

Well, our no-losing streak had to end some time.

World Cup Qual (NAM) Phase 2 (group stage) results:

Canada - Belize: 1-0

Only a narrow loss, but the match was rather one-sided. My goalie was in superb form, 4-0 would have been a more logical score. So it was a good result, under the circumstances, but it didn't earn us much.

Belize - USA: 0-2

Similar story. We created very few chances, and USA could have won by a much wider margin. An expected result.

Belize - Haiti: 0-1

This one was a disappointment, because it was a very even match and we earned at least a draw. But we got the early goal and we never managed to really push for the equalizer.

So halfway into the group stage, moving on to the next phase is pretty much impossible. Not a huge surprise. Getting a result in one of the remaining matches will be the objective now.

We did play one more friendly as well, and luckily the lads remembered how to get the ball in the net after three shutouts. We beat Cyprus 3-0 at home.

From the long term perspective: no regens yet. With the youngest Belizean aged 22, they better start popping up soon.

World Ranking: 125th

SheffieldTim when letting us know your end of year world ranking can you let us know the year, as it makes it easier for me to keep track of.

To do a screenshot:

Press the Print Screen button (maybe shortened to PrtSc)

Open paint (or other image editing program) go to edit and then to paste.

Then save as a jpg file.

Then go to an image hosting website such as ImageShack and upload the image there (you may have to sign up for a free account before this)

Then post the direct URL to the image here. To get a proper link press the URL button at the top of the message box on here and enter the direct link in the URL box and the text you want displayed in Title and hit ok.

CoachFlu well done on getting through to the 1st group stages of the world cup qualifiers in North America. That in itself is a success story so early on in the challenge.

Brigadier good to hear of your victories in friendlies.

Just playing a couple of friendlies in early 2011. My team has definitely had a resurrgance as I lost 5-4 to New Caledonia.

But then it was up against Papua New Guinea. A couple of years ago they thrashed me 6-0. But this time it was all so different.

My highly rated striker who always seems to be my key man finally lived up to his name as he scored the two goals, that gave my team their first win in 3 years!!! Also their first clean sheet in 3 1/2 years.

Screen shot of win

Website news ok I have started work on the website for this challenge, there isn't much there yet but you can take a look at it here

There's a welcome page, a rules page, a FAQ (with 1 question!) and a tournament help page hopefully telling you how each tournament works, but there are a few question marks at the moment over a couple.

Thanks BS_8 sorry to hear about 14 players retiring, that's a lot of players. Hope you get some good regens in to replace them. Well done on the 41st, that's quite an achivement.

Some mixed recent results lost to Fiji 3-2 despite being 2-0 up shortly after half time!

But then beat my local rivals Samoa 5-3 despite being 2-0 down myself.

Unfortunately Papua New Guinea then got revenge beating us 2-1.

But at least we are scoring goals, and not conceding too many, especially as I've had some goalkeeper injury problems to contend with.

Got a couple more friendlies and then another crack at the OCE Nations Cup, maybe I can finally get through the first round, although I've got Solomon Islands in my group so that should be interesting!

Yes i have solomon in mine too. Good you have started up a website, Unfortunately I am in my OCE Cup won1 lost 1, had to choose 22 players form a possible 33 with 6 over 34, so I am due a regen boost. Have a FC who has scored 17 in 16 apps. My DM has been bought by Melbourne Victory. Scoring goal is key, you will always concede. I think you shall qualify, keep the updates coming, good luck in your OCE quest, it is winning these games that count for the rankings

BS_8 thanks for your encouragement, mind you I think your confidence in me might by misplaced. Lost my two friendlies 6-0 against Cook Islands and 4-1 against Vanuatu! Mind you I was 1-0 up at half time against Vanuautu and then tiredness hit my players, should have made more subs against Cook Islands really then my players may have been fit enough to last the pace as all of Vanuatu's goals came in the last 15 minutes! Hopefully my first choice goalie will be back for the tournament as he'll be vital to keeping the goals down.

As you say the OCE games are important as they count 2.5 times as much as friendlies when it comes to ranking points.

I never seem to win friendlies, however i have just qualified into the second group.

This consists of:

AS

Cook Isl

NZ

PNG

Vanuatu ( very impressed, could go all the way)

How are you in your OCE?

Well done BS_8 on qualifying, your regen is an excellent find, especially as he is playing for an australian a-league team, which means he'll be playing proper games and getting proper training.

My OCE Nations cup is mixed.

First game against Tahiti I won 3-1 thanks to 2 last 5 minute goals.

Second game against Tonga I was 6-0 down at half time! Managed to get it to 8-3 by the end! So it's not looking that good as I need at least 4 more points and I've got Solomon Islands who are going to be tough, and Papua New Guinea who I should be able to beat.

Mind you it could be worse, New Zealand are in the other preliminary group! Not quite sure why? Will have to find out.

So much for the Oceania Nations Cup.

Lost a hard fought game against Solomon Islands 4-2 having been 2-0 up after 12 minutes!

But more problems with injuries/suspensions, already missing a right back, centre midfielder and a striker with injury, now my attacking midfielder went and got himself booked for the second time so he's out of the final game against PNG. Time to rescue some pride and avoid my 3rd wooden spoon.

OR so I hoped. Within 16 minutes I'm two down, managed to claw one back only for one of my midfielders to get sent of just before half time. Despite a brave fight we let another in and lose 3-1.

A 3rd wooden spoon in the nations cup for American Samoa!

On the subject of New Zealand as they had fallen to 101st in the world, and Fiji had lifted themselves to 95th in the world as of October 2011, Fiji, were given the bye to the first round proper normally reserved for New Zealand.

Screenshots are below:

Highest world ranking 124th, was 129th at end of 2011:

Bottom again in prelims, but look at group A and you will see New Zealand there. They had lost a number of friendlies and so hadn't been picking up the points.

Also I think Fiji may have got more points as they were playing more Oceania Nation Cup games by winning their 4 preliminiary games, probably worth more than winning the 2 final games New Zealand play.

Belize, October 11th 2008

Two more World Cup Qual matches played:

Belize - Canada: 1-2

We were a bit more competitive than in the away match, but it was still a deserved win for Canada.

USA - Belize: 5-1

One that falls in the category "oh well, at least we scored a goal."

Only an away match against Haiti remaining, last chance to get some points.

Also played one more friendly match:

Guyana - Belize: 1-3

So at least I keep winning the friendly matches against nations ranked not far above us.

On a more important note: finally regens!

Not sure when that happened, but it must have been some time in the last month or so. Weird, but whatever, I needed some youth.

Most of them seem pretty useless, but there are a few who may turn into something half-decent. There's one AMC who looks like he could go straight into my starting line-up. Unfortunately he doesn't have a job, so hopefully he doesn't retire soon. I'll start calling him up ASAP, perhaps that'll give him some exposure. Fingers crossed.

World Ranking: 127th

Belize, November 21st 2008

World Cup Qual (NAM) Second Phase:

Haiti - Belize: 2-2

The last match of the group stage, and, hurray, we managed to avoid finishing without any points. We had chances to win the match, but in the end a draw was a fair result.

Played two more friendlies as well:

Belize - Chad: 2-1

Belize - Sierra Leone: 0-4

World Ranking: 116th

Okay well I have basically just finished off the Euro 2012 qualifying and Im coming up to starting qualifying for World Cup 2014. It went absolutely diabolically. I got 0 points from my 12 games, which was rather carp considering I had hoped to gain a good few points against teams such as Bosnia and Lithuania but I really underestimated their quality.

So on to Euro 2014 qualifying and a fresh start once again I'm optimistic about gaining a few points but then again after seeing my group I should probably think otherwise. The group I have been draw is(in order of seeding)

France

Croatia

Israel

Slovenia

Lithuania

Faroe Islands

All in all I think its a really tough group.

So so frustrating to draw Lithuania again as in the same pot as theirs were teams such as Kazakhstan and Moldova, whom I would have fancied my chances alot more than against Lithuania. Other than that Slovenia will definitely beat me both times, and as for the top 3 seeds I guess no matter who they are we wouldnt touch them.

I have just played my first friendly in 2012 a 1-1 home draw with Comoros.

Oh and for the record MadWoodster I finished 2011 ranked at 160 in the World and finished Euro 2012 qualifying in 7th.

Tongo, 7th December 2007

So I've reached the end of 2007. It's been a good year for the people of Tongo as far as friendlies are concerned. Won 1, Drawn 5, Lost 1.

In the first match of the OCE Prelims I had an absolutely amazing match against New Caledonia. They scored twice in 5 minutes but I managed to pull a goal back before half-time. Then I equalised in the 76th minute. New Caledonia scored to make it 3-2 to them in the 88th minute, but right from the kickoff my team combined amazingly and scored to make it 3-3. Straight from the next kickoff I won the ball off them, went down the other end and scored to win 4-3 o_O

Currently continuing qualifiers so screenshots will come afterwards. I have gone up in the world rankings however =D

About to start this challenge myself, although I really should be in bed. Ah well. icon_smile.gif

I was interested as to why Liechtenstein (who I was interested in managing) weren't near the bottom, so I checked FIFA's rankings to find them 119th?! Since when? I know that's not terribly great and all but they're above sides link New Zealand and Estonia, who you would have to say are better than they are. At least I would.

Never mind. Rant over. Going to go for Puerto Rico, but having checked them out on their Wikipedia page I see that they didn't enter the qualification for World Cup 2006 nor did they enter the Gold Cup in 2007. So if there's no competitive games I'll give that up and give San Marino a go instead.

Okay it turns out Puerto Rico are not manageable. Pity. I'm actually still keen on North America so I'm going to load all players from the Cayman Islands and Dominica and see if it'll let me manage either of them.

If not then it'll be my 'fall back' San Marino.

Absolutely no luck on that front. There were actually far more players for Puerto Rico than for either of the two I loaded up just then.

Okay I'm so frustrated that I'm taking the road less traveled and going for Bolivia!

...well, someone was going to do it. Might as well be me. icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry for the quadruple post but nobody else is on!

While Bolivia was an intriguing position, after sorting out my squad, getting in the staff, etcetera, I checked my FIFA ranking and we start off at 68th. icon_rolleyes.gif

Seems pretty pointless...as without even doing anything I'm miles ahead of just about everyone else.

So I'm about to load a new game for the fourth time tonight, and after much deliberation I'm going for the unoriginal choice of the Faroe Islands. I know two people are managing them already but they were the only choice that really interests me outside of the Americas.

And so on to our second friendly of 2008 against Tanzania, a side ranked about 25 places above us.

The pundits said that Tanzania would win easy and they did win, but it wasn't as easy as they thought. We had some good attacking play and should have scored more than the one goal we did.

I was a little annoyed that we seemed to lack any creativity or desire to hit the net and, again, our defense seemed prone to goal resulting lapses. I don't really know how we can change this aside from a new squad.

Tanzania 2 CAR 1

Our best player, by far, is E. E. Yamissi but I think he has too much on his shoulders to carry us forward.

I think I need to experiment in my next friendly with a narrow team because my strength lies in central midfield.

Is this a bug? For the last 3 matches I have received the same news item concerning a player that has retired (I can no longer click on his name). The news is shock that he has not been called up to the national squad. How can I?

Annoyingly he was my best forward but could not seem to get a club contract.

Okay, got a little mini-crisis with Belize. Half my first team are retiring! True, my two best strikers are on the wrong end of 30, but they're heroes to me! Plus a talented yong AMC is off because he has no club (i have no idea why!). Luckily my two wingers are still in their mid 20's and solidly playing first team football. I just hope to get some more regens quickly or i could be screwed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BS_8:

Combustion, have you loaded Danish players/League? Any average Danish players with Faroe Nationality that you could use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I'm playing with all the Danish Leagues on. Unfortunately there are no great players coming through, like they are all pretty poor. Its where my majoroty of players are coming from thoughicon_smile.gif

Faroe Islands-World Cup 2014 Qualifying Update

Well tbh its going alot better than I expected, albeit that doesn't mean i have picked up a point. I have played three games against Croatia, Israel and Lituania.

Croatia 3-1 Faroe Islands

I went into this game with absolutely no confidence expecting a drubbing 6,7 or 8 nil. And although Croatia dominated possesion we held our own. Despit going down after 8 mins to a goal from Ivica Olic and after 22mins it was 2, Niko Kranjcar this time. However we then poached a goal right before half time and it remained 2-1 until the 80th minute when a Niko Kranjcar stunner ended our slim hopes.

Faroe Islands 0-2 Israel

Another match with alot of positives. There wasn't all that much between us although Israel had alot more possesion. The scoring began on 14 mins when Tal Ben-Haim knocked in from a Yossi Benayoun corner. We then kept them out until 81mins when Ben Sahar got a goal. I was truly delighted to have stayed with Israel and Croatia for so long.

Lithuania 3-2 Faroe Islands

Desperately, desperately annoying, despite the fact that I was expecting to lose beforehand. Our first half performance was pretty good but we went in 3-0 down due to 3 individual mistakes. I was so frustrated at half time but told the team that we can win this game- it worked wonders. We absolutley battered them in the second half we scored 2, they cleared 2 off the line and I had 1 offside goal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MadWoodster:

Ok here is a break down country by country of who is managing who and who has done what. However, I think I need to be a bit stricter on updates. While it is good to see the results you are getting, there are two things that count. Your final position in your confederation's cup qualifiers, your confederation's cup, your world cup qualifiers, the world cup itself and the confederations cup. Backed up by screen shots showing either your group or the cup tree.

As far as world rankings go, I would like to see end of year reports (either December or January is acceptable) with the graph uploaded as a screen shot. If you forget, don't panic as the graph does go back a year or two, so you can post it late. Also if mid season you get to some dizzy heights then feel free to post that as well.

Other screenshots and updates are most welcome and encouraged.

Ok that's my little rant over, now on with the breakdown.

Boliva (South America) 109th

NO-ONE!

Papua New Guniea (Oceania) 180th

Recury

End 2007: 172nd, Qualified from the prelim of Nations Cup

Tahiti (Oceania) 181th

NO-ONE!

Comoros (Africa) 182nd

NO-ONE!

Nepal (Asia) 183rd

Svettot

End 2007, 191st, Lost 1st qualifying round of Asian world cup

End 2008, 192nd, friendlies

Cayman Islands (North America) 184th

NO-ONE!

Central African Republic (Africa) 185th

Fatski

Anagain

End 2007

Dominica (North America) 186th

NO-ONE!

Macau (Asia) 187th

Gilbster

Afghanistan (Asia) 188th

JeffHardy

Faroe Isles (Europe) 189th

SheffieldTim

End 2007: ?

End 2008: ?

End 2009: ?

End 2010: ?

Combustion

End 2007:

End 2008:188th

End 2009: 146th, 6th in Europea World Cup qualifying

Guniea-Bissau (Africa) 190th

Jonny Kaufman

End 2007: 142nd, 2nd in African Nations cup qualifying

End 2008: 154th, friendlies

End 2009: 150th, friendlies

Samoa (Asia) 191st

NO-ONE!

Somalia (Africa) 192nd

NO-ONE!

Tonga (Oceania) 193rd

NO-ONE!

Peurto Rico (North America) 194th

NO-ONE!

San Marino (Europe) 195th

NO-ONE!

Anguilla (North America) 196th

NO-ONE!

Bhutan (Asia) 197th

Brigadier

End 2007: 200th, Lost 1st qualifying round of Asian World cup qualifing

Resigned

Cook Islands (Oceania) 198th

MadWoodster

End 2007: 179th, 3rd in Oceania Cup Prelim

2008 game suspended due to crash problem, have bee assured this will be fixed when the patch eventually comes out.

American Samoa (Oceania) 199th

MadWoodster

End 2007: 196th, 5th in Oceania Cup Prelim

End 2008: 172nd, only friendlies.

End 2009: 163rd, 5th in Oceania Cup Prelim

End 2010:

BS_8

End 2007: 174th, 3rd in Oceania Cup Prelim

End 2008: ?, friendlies

End 2009: ?, 5th in Oceania Cup Prelim

End 2010: 163rd, friendlies

End 2011: 142nd, 5th in Oceania Cup Prelim

End 2012: 138th, friendlies

End 2013: 64th, 1st in Oceania Cup Prelim

End 2014: , Oceania Cup runners ups!

Aruba (North America) 200th

NO-ONE!

Belize (North America) 201st

Dane0

Brigadier

CoachFlu

End 2007: 198th, friendlies

Konquest

End 2007: 195th, friendlies

Djibouti (Africa) 202nd

NO-ONE!

East Timor (Asia) 203rd

NO-ONE!

Guam (Asia) 204th

Littleliam

MachinegunHead

End 2007: , out in 1st round Asian world cup qualifying

Montenegro (Europe) 205th

Thrown out for being too good, they are a very new nation formed by yet another former Yugoslavia split and therefore have plenty of good players

Montserrat (North America) 206th

NO-ONE!

Sao Tome and Principe (Africa) 207th

NO-ONE!

US Vigin Islands (North America) 208th

NO-ONE!

Other teams

Andorra (Europe 169th)

While being one of the worst teams in Europe they are ranked too highly to strictly take part in this challenge. But it will be interesting to see how they get on.

Peter G

All new comers are most welcome however, please note do not choose teams outside of the FIFA ranking as they do not take part in any world cup qualifiers, and may not take place in confederation cups either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

even when contained all Arubas players this nation is not manageable

Faroe Islands Update.

Just a quick update. Well I have now finished the qualifying for the World Cup 2014. And I drew with Lithuania 0-0 at homeicon_smile.gif. I was delighted with that and I finshed the group bottom but I had 1 point. MadWoodster I finished 2013 ranked 142nd.

My group for Euro 2016 Qualifying....Switzerland,Czech Republic,Estonia,Slovakia and ourselves. Happy enough with that group tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by freelinet:

Having a bit of a break from my Chippenham game in Dafuge's challenge, thought I'd give this a go and seeing as no-one has been them yet I'll be...............Comoros - Only because I like their flag icon_wink.gif

Will post all my losses and crap players!! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scrap that Comoros are unplayable so I'm going to go for Tahiti!

Tonga

So I've gone through the OCE Nations Cup.

Fist match was a 3-0 loss to New Zealand. Obvious looking at the players.

Turned it around in the second match to beat Papua New Guinea 3-1 with the regen striker scoring twice.

Third match, pretty crucial vs Fiji. A really poor start letting in a goal in the 3rd minute. After 50 minutes however they had a goal disallowed and in the 52nd they had a player sent off! I really needed to score now I had the chance. No goal coming through 70 minutes, 80, 90. The board comes up 3 minutes of extra time. I get a corner in the 93rd minute and it gets cleared but a great volley smack it in the back of the net to make it 1-1 icon_biggrin.gif

With regen striker fit for the last game against Tahiti he went straight into the team and scored in the 8th minute. Tahiti missed a penalty after my left back brought a man down. Got away with only a yellow card and went on to win 1-0 and qualify for the final icon_cool.gif

Due to the long period between group stage and final for some reason, I play a friendly in between. This leads to my best result ever as Tonga manager, with the regen striker gettting a hat trick in the process ^_^ Amazing result

Moved up to 148th in the World Rankings! Amazing start to life as Tonga manager.

lol triple post

Lost 3-0 to New Zealand in the final first leg, and somehow scraped a 1-0 win in the second leg. A loss overall but respectable. Regen striker got golden boot for the whole tournament and so into the Oceania Nations Cup Dream Team.

And so to prove their utter dominance the dream team contained 1 Tonga player and 10 New Zealand players >_<

Archived