International challenge

Ok have now added to the website the ability to log your world cup, individual confederation cup and confederations cup performances so that you can get points for these, you even get 1 point just for taking part! However, points are not cumulative (i.e. if you come last in the Oceania Preliminary Group Stage 20 times you will only ever get 1 point for your effort.)

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2008 Report

It didn't go well this year to put it mildly, started off with friendly defeats to azerbaijan and aruba and then lost the next 5 games scoring 3 and conceding 17,

2008andorradg3.th.png]2008andorradg3.th.png[/url]

Our new leading goalscorer is now Manolo Jimenez with an outstanding 4 goals!!

In the rankings i did manage to climb to 138th (despite not even drawing) but then crashed back down to 158th eventually ending the year in 157th back to where i started the challenge.

2008rankingsec2.th.png]2008rankingsec2.th.png[/url]

Ok can someone that's played into the future a bit in this challenge do me a favour. FMM for 8.01 has been released now so can someone check to see what there country's reputation is now and see what it was at the start of the game by looking in the editor and confirm that a country's reputation does in fact change? If it does then I will give this challenge a try but I dont think it does.

After a little while away from the game a came back to it.

Results at end of 2017:

P7 W4 D0 L3 F21 A14

Vanuatu H 0-3 FR

Samoa H 8-5 FR

PNG A 1-2 FR

Sol Isl N 6-0 OCE Prlim GpB

Vanuatu N 1-4 OCE Prlim GpB

Samoa N 3-0 OCE Prlim GpB

Fiji N 2-0 OCE Prlim GpB

leagueeg7.th.jpg

DS welcome to the challenge, I will download the new FMM and see what I can find out for you.

BS_8 good to hae you back. Some god results there if only you could beat New Zealand you would have Oceania. Thanks for filling out the website with your history as well.

SuperCupra well done on finally winning with Andorra. Good to see Rob Styles give you a helping hand!

With the new patch downloaded on my PC I decided it was time to make a fresh start, this time with Malaysia.

Had a difficult first match against Bahrain having been drawn with them in the first round of the world cup qualifiers, and lost 4-1. Managed a 2-2 friendly draw with Oman before the return match against Bahrain. Got another draw this time 0-0 against them, but the fans weren't too happy with the aggregate loss, but the board were pleased we enjoyed playing in the world cup qualifiers!

Also lost 3-2 to Bangladesh in a friendly before taking Bahrain on again in a pre-arranged friendly, got a 1-1 draw this time and went from starting at 155 in the world to being 147 in the world but have since dropped a place or two

World Rankings

Also realised the website didn't support changing countries, have now added a change country option to the details page so anyone else who has likewise changed nations can do so. If you change to a different continent then it will keep your old history in the database, allowing you to do the ultimate challenge of winning the world cup and confederations cup with a country from every continent.

Brunei Darussalam are an interesting challenge, if you load the Malaysian league there is a club called DPMM who are from Brunei but play in the Malaysian league.

MadWoodster did you have a look with FMM to see if the reputations do in fact change? I would be very sad if they dont because it makes playing as a small country pointless. Maybe I will start a holiday game and leave it for like 4 years and then look at different countries to see if there reputation has changed.

Bad News

Just done some testing and it appears that a nation's reputation does not change. That is really bad. I cant believe SI never implemented this in the game. I only holidayed for 2 years and checked a few country's so maybe I am wrong but surely there would have been a small change at least? Except there was none and thats why I have come to the conclusion that it does not change.

Ok I have done some experiments with FMM and while the reputation does not change there have been drastic changes in the quality of players coming through.

In 2008 I had only 1 player whose PA was over 100 (102 to be exact) and 0 players whose CA was over 100. I then left the game to go on holiday over night.

While my reputation was still the same, my world ranking had gone up. I had another look at my squads CA and PA. There were now 9 players with a PA greater than 100 in fact some were over 120 and 1 was even 178! Also I had 5 players whose CA was greater than 100, one of whom had a CA of 126 and another at 170.

So while the reputation has not changed, the ability of my players is a lot better and has the potential to get even better.

With these players I believe it is possible to get better results, we only have to look at BS_8's success to see that it is possible to improve, taking a team that are getting thrashed in every game they play in real life, and making them one of the best two teams in Oceania.

In the interests of fairness I will not be continuing my Malaysian game as part of this challenge, as having looked at the CA and PA of my players I would have an unfair advantage.

Well the thing is maybe those higher PA regens were due to the current reputation if you know what I mean. Like the original players are not good enough compared to the country's reputation but now the true quality regens are coming. However a 178 is a very good player so maybe there is something else affecting the quality of regens which is determined by your progress. I would be interested to know what club that 178 PA regen came from. If it was from a club with good facilities that might explain since I have noticed that a clubs facility and reputation are more important then the nation's reputation when creating regens. It would be awesome if in fact this increase in regen quality is due to the better performances by the national team.

I reloaded from where I left of previosuly but this time selected a poor team and told my assistant to keep playing that team and formation every game, so we could see what would happen if things went downhill. The year is now 2127 and there are just 2 players whose CA is over 100 and then only just. There are 7 players with a PA over 100 the highet being 116. Malaysia are now ranked 178 in the world and don't always get to play in the Asian cup which I assume is based on ranking.

Back to the 1st holiday game, the player who was 170/178 started at Johor Lomledia who have only basic training faciliies and minimal youth. However, last year he did move to Bayern Munich for £300,000.

He may of course just be a fluke, as once in a while each country will produce a wonder player. George Weah of Liberia being an example. However, the fact that there a number of other players with a higher CA/PA than expected would indicate that as well as creating the occasional wonder player, the general level of players has increased possibly because of the world ranking.

DS

Giving two years isn't realistically enough for a nation to change reputation. You need at least 5 so major tournaments are played. If you look at Greece they won the Euro 2004, however not much changed. Now i think they are 11th in the WR. Therefore their rep must have changed in RL?

I'm sorry to say, [bS_8] my holiday game had gone on for 30 years before I checked Malaysia's reputation and I also checked several other nations at the same time. However, while reputations may not have changed it does seem something else it at work when it comes to regens as shown by my two different holiday games.

I did a sign-up called Rise of the Low Countries last year, with FM07, in which some Dutch, Belgian and Luxembourg players were added to the database. Luxembourg's ranking rised quickly, obviously.

I had a brief look at the quality of the regens about 8 or 9 seasons into the sign-up. The specific post in which I put those observations is on this page, about two thirds down (July 10).

Briefly: while it was hardly conclusive over such a limited period of time, I did note a rise in the quality of the regens. A slow rise, but a rise nonetheless.

However, what I did find to be a major problem in that sign-up was that, despite Belgium and especially Luxembourg rising significantly in ranking, that didn't seem to affect their seeding in Qualifying group draws.

Even after being in the 20-30 range in the ranking for several years, Luxembourg still seemed to be drawn as the "little team" in their qualifying groups. Obviously that made it harder for them to qualify.

This was just an observation in a sign-up game though, which only ran for ten seasons or so. Perhaps this is something that takes longer to change. And this was with FM07, things may have changed in this version.

They defintely seem to have fixed this in Oceania at least. I've check my holiday game and a number of times seen New Zealand having to play in the pre-lims and Fiji given the automatically spot in the 1st round proper, as Fiji have a higher ranking than New Zealand.

I trust they have done the same for Europe but have no easy way of checking, as they don't show us the seeding positions

All change for the new patch!

Just realised that SI have updated the world rankings in their latest patch!

Unless I've missed something Boliva are still the worst team in South America.

In positions 151-175 are now:

Solomon Islands, Swaziland, Pakistan, Madagascar, Sierra Leone, Brundi, The Gambi, Turkmenistan, Bermuda, Grenada, Surinam, Nicaragua, Vanuatu, Myanmar, Nepal, Mauritania, British Virgin Islands, Faroe Islands, Niger, Tahiti, Dominican Republic, New Caledonia, Afghanistan, Central African Republic, Cayman Islands.

And in positions 176-208 are now:

Papua New Guinea, Brunei Daraussalam, Eritrea, Guinea-Bissau, Somalia, Laos, Mongolia, Netherlands Antilles, Cambodia, Dominica, Macau (China PR), Bhutan, Samoa, Tonga, Puerto Rico, San Marino, The Philippines, Anguilla, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Luxembourg, American Samoa, Aruba, Belize, Comoros, Djibouti, East Timor, Guam, <I>Montenegro</I>, Montserrat, Sao Tome and Principe, Turks and Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands.

(<I>Montenegro</I> are still excluded from this challenge)

So this means if you use the 8.0.1 patch from the start (this does not effect saved games you have updated) you will have a different set of countries to choose from (including no Andorra for the European option) although I'll be fascinated to know how SI worked these rankings out as Italy haven't been 2nd in months, and in fact the ranking points used for the top 10 nations seem to be more or less from August 2006 which seems strange as it is obviously changed from what it was before the patch. So why update it, if they are not going to update it properly! A trip to the bugs forum methinks.

i'm playing as american samoa im in 2011 my biggest success to date is finishing the 2008 oce nations cup in third place. Ranked 115 in the world at the moment in 2010 gave a 16 year old regen his debut in a 6-0 demolition job

against either fiji or tonga and he scored 4 of the goals

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">im gonna start this cos i cant get a game and stick with it atm, hpefully i can with this

ill be bolivia </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually forget that im just gonna forget this challenge and be england icon_biggrin.gif

Batty1 welcome to the challenge. Also don't forget to enter your progress on the http://www.ajwood.me.uk/international_fm_challenge this allows me to keep track of everyone and automatically assign points. Don't worry about screenshots too much until you qualify for the World cup or win the nations cup or get in the top 100.

Westhamrob sorry to hear you won't be joining us.

MadWoodster how is your game going.

Unfortuantely i have been banished to another computer so haven't been able to play my AS game. I am going to start another game as i have enjoyed this challenge the most.

However, is there an area wher ei can sea the new rankings, but with a team which no one has yet played as.

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Westhamrob sorry to hear you won't be joining us </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i might soon its just i cant seem to get into a game, but i think being england might keep me hooked for abit

Tonga Update - December 2017

Yeah, been a while since I last updated, I've moved all the way along to 2017 and the team is considerably stronger now. My current ranking is 75th, though at one point I'd somehow charged up to 51st!

Rankings

So far overall, my progress in tournaments has been pretty damn solid. In the Oceania Nations Cup I have been runner up in 2008, 2010, 2014 and 2016.

In the recent OCE World Cup Qualifiers I almost had New Zealand beat. A 1-0 loss in the first leg meant I had to win the return at home. After what may be my best match in charge yet, we managed to draw 3-3! As noone in Oceania has beaten New Zealand in any competitive competition since the start of my game, I'd say that's pretty good going.

A whole bunch of regens has allowed me to push onwards to facing greater teams. A 2-2 draw away at Northern Ireland last year being a personal highlight of all the friendlies. Slighlty surprisingly however, there is still no Tonga players worth over £1k. You can see from the player below with a shockingly high scoring ratio for his national side that it won't be long before someone does.

Star Striker

On to the next Nations Cup!

[bS_8] having tried a few things with the new patch, I've settled for a career with the Faroe Isles, but have yet to get a win or even a draw, 1 year into my campaign but I'm scoring the odd goal here and there which is good. Will do the new rankings table tomorrow.

blowcrapup welcome to the challenge, we look forward to hearing how you get on as Pakistan manager.

Axefighter good to hear of your regens boosting your squad. Maybe you can finally break the New Zealand hold on Oceania. Don't forget to update the http://www.ajwood.me.uk/international_fm_challenge so I can keep track of things.

Scab welcome to the challenge. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to update the website to the latest patch. SI in their wisdom decided to update some of the countries ranking points (I say that as some of them are still stuck at August 2006 values!) Good luck with Myanmar we look forward to hearing how you get on

Well time for my first ever update for the first ever challange i've done I just wish it was a better one.

So after picking Pakistan I set about rebuilding the squad as I wanted it and picked my tatic (442 with one CM running to AMC position)

I shouldn't have bothered -

Pakistan 0 - Cambodia 12 (friendly Fr from now on)

Syria 5 - Pakistan 0 (Fr)

Then I had my first competative game against the proud footballing nation of Iraq (who arent actually a bad team as I initally thought they ranked about 79th in my world rankings)

Pakisatn 0 - Iraq 3 (World Cup Quals Round 1 1st leg)

Then I went for another "weak" team -

Kyrgyzstan 2 - Pakistan 0 (Fr)

Then I had my secound leg of Quals -

Iraq 1 0 Pakistan 0 (World Cup Quals 1st round 2nd leg) - This was and still is my best result

Then I had one last friendly god knows what possessed me to make this one -

Pakistan 0 - Senegal 6 (Fr)

So as of December 2007 in my game my record stands at -

Played 6

Won 0

Drew 0

Lost 6

Scored 0

Conceded 29

This led to a major rethink. My next game isnt till Sep 2008 due to other World Cup Quals. I now have only arranged friendlies against teams lower than me in the World Rankings.

I also have researched the real life Pakistan team and most of these players aren't bad so I'd advise anyone else doing this challange and struggling to do the same.

Sorry for the massive passage I just like to type icon_biggrin.gif stupid creative writing degree.

Not sure what to make of the first few friendlies. At least the defence is doing alright? I still have a hard time picking out a first choice eleven; there's just so little difference in quality between the players. No one's playing in an active league either, so I don't have any match form/results to go by like I'm used to. :/

How does everyone else pick out their starting lineup?

Myanmar 2007

Got through the first round of the World Cup qualifiers after a rather fortuitous tie against China. Tajikistan proved too good in the 2nd round though, eliminating us from the competition. Would've been fun to reach the group stage, but I guess it's a little too early to hope for such success.

What concerns me more is that most of my players are getting worse. I don't know if it's because of some simulated off-season, but I've seen several attributes drop 2-3 points on several players. I really hope this is something isolated and not a trend I'll be seeing more of.

2007 Results

I'm kinda pleased actually, given I had absolutely no useful data to base my picks on for half of the games. I'm starting to get a better idea now though thanks to the friendlies and watching a couple of Asian Confederation Cup games involving Myanmar clubs.

World Ranking Graph

Skyrocketed after we beat China. 126th now. icon14.gif

P.S. The site seems to be broken. Hitting any of the "Submit" buttons after logging in, such as to submit a new competition performance, just takes me back to the page asking for my user/password.

Blowcrapup not a great start, but then it takes time to work out which players are going to do well for you. No worries about the massive passage, it is good to hear of how you are getting on.

Scab a good start both for your defence and also the odd goal for your attack which is good. I normally get my assistant to tell me what my best 11 is and work from there. Good win against China. Don't forget to get your coaches to watch the Asian confederation cup as this will again give you an idea of who to pick. I have also fixed the website

Suited2007 I have tried doing this via the editor, you will have two problems, unless you disable an existing team, then the international competitions randomly choose which teams play and don't play. Also you would have no players unless you created some clubs and players for them.

I've always enjoyed the international management aspect of FM and hope this version is gonna give as much fun icon_smile.gif I saw this thread and decided to give it a go with an African nation, loading up French, Dutch and Belgian leagues. I opted for Sierra Leone and things are looking good already - moved up from 155th to 149th without kicking a ball icon_razz.gif

My first matches will be competitive with African Nations qualifying to complete. Although mathematically possible, I don't think Gabon can be caught icon_frown.gif World Cup qualifying round against Cape Verde after that. We'll see what happens & I'll post my first update soon icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scab:

What concerns me more is that most of my players are getting worse. I don't know if it's because of some simulated off-season, but I've seen several attributes drop 2-3 points on several players. I really hope this is something isolated and not a trend I'll be seeing more of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they are at Semi-Professional clubs with poor training facilities, then their attributes will continue to drop. icon_frown.gif

Sierra Leone: African Nations and World Cup Qualifiers

The new Sierra Leone boss, Diamond Dodgson, took over half way through the African Nation Qualifying campaign with Gabon already way out in front. Sierra Leone's only chance was to beat Gabon by 2 clear goals at home and then thrash the Seychelles. Written off by the media, Diamond's team came out to prove a point and very nearly caused an upset outplaying Gabon for large parts of the match and unlucky to only draw. The nation suddenly had new found optimism after initial scepticism about the new manager...

The draw against Gabon meant qualification was not possible and second in the group was assured so Dodgson took the oppurtunity to hand out some new caps and take a more in-depth look at the squad. The youngsters put in a good performance but lost out to a well-taken goal.

Still buoyed by the impressive dispaly in the first game, Sierra Leone went into the two-legged World Cup Qualifier against Cape Verde full of confidence, despite sitting some 45 places below their opponents in the World Rankings. What followed was extraordinary. Sierra Leone played Cape Verde off the park scoring seven and even missing a penalty in the process for their biggest ever win. The return was a low key affair with more new caps and Cape Verde happy just to avoid another embarassment. The match finished 1-1.

Sierra Leone's reward for this fine performance? 125th in the world rankings and this qualifying group. Ouch icon_eek.gif Looks like qualifying for South Africa 2010 will be beyond them this time, but a good experience in preparation for 2014 awaits!

Archived