Position swapping

Well I think it would depend if, attribute wise, Villa is capable of playing that role well enough. In my experience, Villa can be as dangerous on the wing as he is in the middle.

One season he was my assist leader and he spent most of it on the left side of my 4-4-2 (w/ AML and AMR).

So long as both players have suitable attributes for either position and role, then there's often more positives than negatives.

With high quality players, I often use position swapping. If there's subtle ability differences and different player preferred moves between the players you're set to swap, then it can make it more difficult for opposing defenders to contain, especially if they tend to man-mark.

I am in my first season as Liverpool and with three games to go I needed a point to win the league. My first game of the three was against Man Utd at Anfield. Having played this game for many years I know that everything is against me here taking the point(s) off of Man Utd who are in third place and need the points to finish second and avoid a qualifying game in next seasons Champions League. I had a lot of tired first choice players from my EURO cup semi v Palermo three days prior and ended up playing my 4-1-2-2-1 formation rather than my preferred 4-1-2-1-2 formation due to tiredness and injuries, Injury prone Torres has only made six starts this season and Gerrard has missed the last two months with a cruciate injury and won't play again this season. I have used Kuyt and N'Gog as my main strikers all season and both have been great, especially N'Gog but as Kuyt only had 92% condition it was too much of a chance to play him from the start with two up front. My other problem was Babel who also has been having a good season as either AMC or Poacher was 82% condition. Both Maxi and Joe Cole were 100% but have had hot and cold seasons especially Cole who is very poor but you have to use what you have so I decided to go with Maxi on the right wing and Cole on the left and N'Gog up front as Poacher/Target Man with Shelvey and Poulsen as MC's, Lucas as Deep Laying Playmaker and my usual defence of Johnson, Skrtel, Carragher, Aurelio and Reina in goal. I set up my Team Instructs as, Fluid-Counter-More Direct-More Expressive-Zonal and the rest at Default. I played narrow, slow, high DL, and normal TW. When I was setting up my players instructions I suddenly though that Maxi and Cole can both play r&l so took the chance and gave them swap instructions. Totally inspired choice, we were 1-0 up on 9 minutes as Maxi got brought down in the box by Neville which Carragher converted. We then tore them up in the most one sided game I have seen in a while with Maxi getting man of the Match and Evra getting sent off. Was winning 3-0 and brought on Kuyt and Meireles on 75 minutes for Maxi and Poulsen, both normally first choice but had to leave them on bench due to low 90's condition. Took the swap off, put Kuyt on right wing for Maxi and he promptly goes up the pitch and scores a beauty to make a final result of 4-0 and we are champions. The masterstroke apart from my pre-match press conference and team talk though was definitely the interchanging wingers.

Archived