Matts TTF 4-4-2 Set For FM2011 {Real Men Use Classic Tactics}

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Matt, overall a great set. A few preliminary comments based on a season in the EPL:

(a) Yes, the right SC does get a lot of goals but this results in very few goals for the left SC. Goal draughts for the left SC are not uncommon.

(b) There seems to be this movement that catches my defenders off guard very frequently. Basically an opposing midfielder willl lob the ball from a central position to a winger who will jink / run past my DL / DR. At first I thought it was a once off but it happens far too often, at least once a match.

© The tactics seem to falter against the very top clubs no matter which version I try. So in the case of the EPL, I lost by 2 or more goal against Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal but won against every other team with a sprinkling of draws. I do not quite understand this. Matt, I know you mentioned that teamtalks / press conferences could be the problem but I am not sure this is the case since this problem did not occur in any of my previous seasons. That being said, the consistency of your tactics with every other team makes this worthwhile.

The above are the only minor drawbacks to the tactics set which has done wonders for my team. Very consistent results.

Well, I got upset so I didn't save the game. I'll start a new game and see how it goes.

OK, so I started a new game. And here's the results so far. It's better than the first one but these two losses in a row starting to worries me.

leeds.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Can't upload my save game cause my internet connection is too slow.

Hi Matt, overall a great set. A few preliminary comments based on a season in the EPL:

(a) Yes, the right SC does get a lot of goals but this results in very few goals for the left SC. Goal draughts for the left SC are not uncommon.

(b) There seems to be this movement that catches my defenders off guard very frequently. Basically an opposing midfielder willl lob the ball from a central position to a winger who will jink / run past my DL / DR. At first I thought it was a once off but it happens far too often, at least once a match.

© The tactics seem to falter against the very top clubs no matter which version I try. So in the case of the EPL, I lost by 2 or more goal against Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal but won against every other team with a sprinkling of draws. I do not quite understand this. Matt, I know you mentioned that teamtalks / press conferences could be the problem but I am not sure this is the case since this problem did not occur in any of my previous seasons. That being said, the consistency of your tactics with every other team makes this worthwhile.

The above are the only minor drawbacks to the tactics set which has done wonders for my team. Very consistent results.

Good to hear.

About the full back, and the problems against top teams. The only thing i can think of is the cover/stopper system. Let me know if this continues please.

However i think i may have a solution. Just recently i had a bug where by i see every cpu teams mentality. I was amazed at some of the mentalities the cpu was using.

Anyway i noticed that the cpu often players one poacher, and one deep lying forward etc. So in theory the cover stopper system is essential to stopping this.

Now as you say, against the big sides its become undone, however i have a theory that against these, and some of the other sides the stopper was facing up against the poahcer. This would explain perfectly what happens with the lofted ball to the wings.

I am going to create two versions of each tactic, with the stopper and cover swapping positions all through the team, so that you can change depending on what the cpu ai is doing. I think this is an excellent idea.

Using this tactic and i am getting absolutely demolished by everyone. 4-0 to Tottenham already after 20mins, i am wolves.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully reading this post will help, V3 in the works.

hey matt .. great work and great tbh .. i am using it with my chelsea team ... i am still unbeaten and i have conceded only five goals in 18 PL games. btw i didn't buy anybody ... so the tactic is really solid keep up the good work mate

Thanks mate, this is not uncommon.

alrite im over my hangover now lets play sum fm ill be using My beloved Norwich city :)

Hooray. I live in norwich, but im a bristol boy. :D

OK, so I started a new game. And here's the results so far. It's better than the first one but these two losses in a row starting to worries me.

leeds.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Can't upload my save game cause my internet connection is too slow.

Thanks for the update.

Ok guys im now going to release V3, will take me around 30-60 minutes to make all the changes. Ill brb with an update shortly.

Matts 4-4-2 V3

Change List

Increased closing down on mifielders and forwards by 1 notch on defensive and normal.

Added a left and right formation for each of the three tactics. You can now have your cover as DCL or DCR, just pick Defend Left Or Defend Right etc.

Tweaked passing slightly.

Tweaked deep lying forward instructions. On all three tactics he will now be allowed to roam from his position in order to get him more involved and earn better ratings. However his creative freedom, run from deep, run with the ball all remain balanced as his main job is to link midfield and attack.

Every team in the game plays with either a poacher, or an advanced forward. They also always play with a deep lying forward or a target man. If you see your defence getting ripped apart by long balls, or you see their poacher playing on the shoulder of your stopper you need to switch to the RIGHT tactic instead of left.

This will ensure your COVER is marking their POACHER. You need to be able to read the match engine and see whats happening. I hope you can do this. Most of the time it seems obvious by looking at player stats, but this is not always the case, for example Craig Mackail Smith from Peterborough (very quick) often plays as the deep lying forward in the game. So you would want your stopper covering him.

The reason i know all this...

A few days ago i encountered a bug, which i have not been able to replicate since. But i could see every teams mentality settings. It really gave me an insight into how the cpu sets up, and it also made me realise why the stopper cover system was invented.

Download Links

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qh7afw

OR

http://rapidshare.com/files/453287531/Matt442V3.rar

Some video highlights of one of my early games after i won promotion to the championship. Im expected to get relegated, my squad is the weakest in the league. I was using normal left and right in this game. I had to switch between left and right several times in the second half, as leicester kept changing their forwards around. I monitored the leicvester formation widget, and my team shut them down superbly. Darius Vassel couldnt get a look in, nor could that big lump of meat howard. Also look at the rating my deep lying forward gets, and look how he creates goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHD8kf7fGtc

This was a home game in which i was massive underdogs. I went with defensive the whole game. They had 20 shots on target, 16 long shots 0 clear cut chances. I had 6 shots the whole game, 4 clear cut chances and scored two goals. Final score 2-1. My keeper made a blunder at the end and allowed them a cheap goal which was a shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp_u5x6oWSw

yes mate now i lost 2 in a row lol......bristol city and then smashed 0-3 nottingham forrest...but im sticking with it and try to get this left right tactics correct

A good fire way to check whos the striker sitting deep is to check the full match for a second, then put it on 2d view, whoever you see dropping deeper is the link up man, whoever you see on the shoulder of the defener, or moving into channels is the poacher/advanced forward.

do the creative midfielder and the deeper striker get in each others way, due to the fact they play on the same side.

No, it works as a nice passing route through whole side in a diagonal passing method. Remember, the deeper striker is also allowed to roam from his position, which creates space for the advanced wide midfielders and the advanced forward.

cant seem to find it can download it ok but cant import when i go on the tactis screen

You need to put it in the my documents folder/sports interactive/tactics then import it into the game using manage tactics.

Ive just downloaded the tactics,,,,,2 questions,,, why are the tactics called attack right, attack left, normal right, normal left etc.........and can i use these tactics for the 11.2.1 patch?

yeah tried that. can find other ones i have done but cant find this one for some reason

You need to extract the files from the winrar zip files first, right click on it and then select extract. Then place those files in the above.

A quick update of my first complete season using the original tactics here...

npowerleague2informatio.png

Not sure yet whether i'll stick with the current tactics, or switch to the new updated ones. I have noticed the issue of the Stopper and Cover defenders getting mixed up against better quality strikers and maybe that's something which will become more apparent in League 1, so i'll wait and see what works. But obviously, overall it's been a massive success for me.

A quick update of my first complete season using the original tactics here...

npowerleague2informatio.png

Not sure yet whether i'll stick with the current tactics, or switch to the new updated ones. I have noticed the issue of the Stopper and Cover defenders getting mixed up against better quality strikers and maybe that's something which will become more apparent in League 1, so i'll wait and see what works. But obviously, overall it's been a massive success for me.

Glad to hear it mate. Looks awesome.

IMO V3 are by far the best though, so make sure you have lots of pre-season games to try them out.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

me again. which one do i download.

English 32/64 bit depending on what OS you have.

I am going to post some screenshots of 'ideal' players for certain positions using these tactics.

First of of all, the cover (CB). Needs to be quick, (acceleration) be able to read the game well (anticipation) and will also need to take up the correct position in order to pick up those loose balls. (positioning)

Those are the main attributes needed for a cover. Other things such as tackling, pace are also useful.

Here are my two players for this position.

44194508.jpg

26891639.jpg

The stopper needs to be more aggressive, in order to hunt down that deep lying forward. Put him under pressure causing him to pass the ball back or ideally tackle him.

The ideal attributes for this position are Aggression,strength, tackling and bravery. Other useful attributes are work rate and bravery. Here are my two stoppers.

15946605.jpg

66471519.jpg

still cant bloody do it. real shame as its got great feedback and just the tactic i was looking for

If you can take some screen shots of the problem i might be able to help. Press print screen on your keyboard, open up MS paint in windows and press ctrl + v. Save as a jepg, upload to image shack and post the image here maybe then i can help.

The playmaker. The favourite player on my team, Chris Lines. The main attributes needed for this position are Passing, Creativity and First Touch. But as you move lower down the leagues, only the first two are really needed. Other ideal attributes for this position are off the ball, technique, dribbling (if you have him running with the ball like any good advanced playmaker does) and decisions. A small tip to get your playmaker playing even better, train him to try killer balls often. You will need at least decent attributes in passing and creativity for him to agree to this.

99143244.jpg

The striker/advanced forward. My second favourite player on my team. Will Hoskins. This is your striker that will get you 30 goals a season. (give or take :D) The ideal attributes here are acceleration, pace, finishing, off the ball, composure. Other ideal attributes are anticipation, dribbling and first touch.

33072536.jpg

The Foward/Deep lying forward. His first instinct is to link play between the midfield, his second duty is to provide through balls and or hold up the ball for the striker and wide midfielders. His third duty is to score goals, and get in on the end of crosses.

His ideal attributes are Strength, creativity, passing, team work and first touch. Other ideal attributes for the position are anticipation and off the ball.

84914851l.jpg

your gonna have to bare with me not even sure how to do that. i can save the tactic once i have downloaded it in the normal way but not on the list of tactics on the import screen with the others

Well it sounds like you either haven't extracted it from the zip file, or you havent placed it in the tactics folder so you can import it into the game.

The Foward/Deep lying forward. His first instinct is to link play between the midfield, his second duty is to provide through balls and or hold up the ball for the striker and wide midfielders. His third duty is to score goals, and get in on the end of crosses.

His ideal attributes are Strength, creativity, passing, team work and first touch. Other ideal attributes for the position are anticipation and off the ball.

84914851l.jpg

What about the attributes for fullbacks, Dmid and wingers? Thanks

What about the attributes for fullbacks and wingers? Thanks

I didn't mention those because i assumed most people would know what is needed for those positions.

For DL/DR i guess positioning, tackling, anticipation and stamina would be ideal. Acceleration, particuarly the side back by the cover position would be good.

As for wingers, acceleration, pace, off the ball, crossing and dribbling.

I didn't mention those because i assumed most people would know what is needed for those positions.

For DL/DR i guess positioning, tackling, anticipation and stamina would be ideal. Acceleration, particuarly the side back by the cover position would be good.

As for wingers, acceleration, pace, off the ball, crossing and dribbling.

Oh right. Thankyou

Glad to hear it mate. Looks awesome.

IMO V3 are by far the best though, so make sure you have lots of pre-season games to try them out.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Thanks. I'm going to give V3 a try in the pre-season firendlies and see how it goes.

Why are the tactics have attack right, attack left, normal right, normal left etc,,,,,,,,,i dont get what this means can someone help,,,,can they be used on 11.2 patch??????????????

Why are the tactics have attack right, attack left, normal right, normal left etc,,,,,,,,,i dont get what this means can someone help,,,,can they be used on 11.2 patch??????????????

The left right refers to where the DC cover will line up on the side of the pitch so he can mark the cpu's poacher/advanced forward. The other DC is the stopper and will mark the deep lying forward, so you have all bases covered with a left and right tactic.

Thanks. I'm going to give V3 a try in the pre-season firendlies and see how it goes.

Nice let me know how it goes.

Having great success with this one at the moment, after trying a couple of difference tactics. If it continues, this is definitely my new tactic. I love 4-4-2's!

Good to hear.

i had really stupid mixed results land i chucked it in mate with norwich ..id beat bror away 0-4 then loose at home 3-0 to preston ..so i quit it because i was about to break stuff lol....ill give it ago with another team but for now im working on a 4-1-2-3 with norwich in a new game

But thanks for the tactic matt ;)

Just played my first game of the season, so it's early days to be drawing conclusions on the V3 tactic, but i'm liking it so far. In general it seems a lot more fluid than the original, the left-sided striker seems to pop up all over the place and seems much more involved than in V1 and the closing down particularly in midfield seems much more effective. There seems to be plenty of goals in it too, I won a pre-season friendly 10-2 (they scored two freak goals!) and I just won my first game of the League 1 season away to Notts county 3-0. Haven't had to use the 'right' formations yet, so I have yet to see how that works out.

So from my first impressions i'd recommend V3.

Just played my first game of the season, so it's early days to be drawing conclusions on the V3 tactic, but i'm liking it so far. In general it seems a lot more fluid than the original, the left-sided striker seems to pop up all over the place and seems much more involved than in V1 and the closing down particularly in midfield seems much more effective. There seems to be plenty of goals in it too, I won a pre-season friendly 10-2 (they scored two freak goals!) and I just won my first game of the League 1 season away to Notts county 3-0. Haven't had to use the 'right' formations yet, so I have yet to see how that works out.

So from my first impressions i'd recommend V3.

Thanks for the feedback and good luck in league 1.

How are your players compared to the current league standard? Did you sign any bigger names?

Mate since installing your tactics for some reason when I click to find out the players position on the tactics screen e.g defender/cover/stopper or striker/poacher it doesn't come up :S

Yes my friend this is because these tactics aremade using the old slider method. So all the work has been done by me, not the tactics creator.

Archived