[FM11] Rise of the Green Dragon

0gris

After reading some amazing career updates in this forum, i though i might as well give it a go myself. I decided to end up in my home nation, Slovenia, a small country of around 2 million inhabitants located near the Adriatic Sea and bordering on the Balkans. While the players are of a decent standard, the league itself is not. Small crowds, next to no TV exposure(in fact, there is none this time around in FM 11 in the first season at all!). Most people don't care much about the Slovenian League, and prefer to watch foreign leagues. The player wages are small, and luring in prospective foreign youngsters or players at all is quite a hard task. However, seeing as i have played a lot of saves in Slovenia, i decided to untick Use Real Players which should hopefully provide a slightly bigger challenge :)

NK_Olimpija_Ljubljana.png

Game Information

Club Information:

Nation: Slovenia

Year Founded: 1911*

Stadium: Športni park ZSD Ljubljana(Moving into Športni Park Stožice on 22.8.2010)

Chairman Status: Loves the club

Legends: None(yet ;) )

Icons: None

Favoured Personnel: None

Derbies: Večni Derbi(Eternal Derby)(vs Maribor)

Fierce Rivals: Maribor

Other Rivals: Ljubljana, Koper

Finances: Okay

Average Ticket Price: €8.00

Average Season Ticket Price: €90.00

Season Ticket Holder: 1801

Estimated Value: €4.4M

Continental Competition: UEFA Europa League

Media Prediction: 4th(Board - Continental qualification though league finish)

Squad Personality: Ambitious

Captain: Borut Ranic

Club History:

Founded in 1911, NK Olimpija Ljubljana are a professional Slovenian club currently playing in the PrvaLiga Telekom Slovenije. The club play their home games at Športni park ZSD Ljubljana and possess average training facilities and an average youth setup. The club also posses a youth academy and an above average youth recruitment network. The club is affectionately known as Zmaji and retains a fierce rivalry with NK Maribor

Squad:

nk-olimpija-ljubljana-ol.png

Quite a decent squad, All players with a rating of 2 stars will find their way out of the club sooner or later. Going through the whole squad there are some glaring obvious issues, we are rather bad out wide, while we have some decent wingers, there are no solid backups or depth in the area, while we are rolling in normal and attacking central midfields. So i decided not to overly complicate it with my tactics, and go with a narrow 4-2-3-1 with the DM position pushed up to CM. Another thing to pay attention to is that the squad is very young, with an average age of 21, meaning that the potential is there. Taking everything into account the current biggest weakness is without a doubt our defense. Our best right back and centre back are rated at 3 stars meaning that while they are solid for this level, they won't exactly push us over the top, it gets even worse down the left. And to add insult to injury, our depth in the back end is horrid as well. An area that will definitely need a big improvement quickly, or we might just end up short of our expectations. In general, apart from a few cracking players, we lack solid depth and that could cost us quite a few games. At least we have stellar goaltending!

Key Players:

Gorazn Pizir - 28 year old Slovenian goaltender with above average attributes for this level, signed on a cheap contract and will be an important part of the team for some time.

Alexander Hiden - 20 year old tireless Austrian midfielder, and i mean tireless, a whopping 20 stamina! Not to bad on the technical front and is a brilliant penalty taker, his mental attributes are average, but they will get better over time, still has some potential as well. All in all, a brilliant player.

Saso Pucko - Our number one strike who should excel in his role as a poacher, solid speed, good finishing and generally good stats where he needs them, at 19 years old has a lot of potential as well. One of my bigger hopes to crack the national team eventually.

Jan Nisandzic - Speed is without a doubt his biggest weapon, with 20 acceleration he could probably out-accelerate a ferrari, an additional 16 pace also means he will be blazingly fast and leave defenders in the dust. His mental stats are solid for his age, however his technical stats worry me. Regardless, at 18 years old and still improving, he should be a more than solid player.

Youth Squad:

nk-olimpija-ljubljana-ol.png

Not a lot of players, but some incredible youths. Some of them have absolutely crazy potential, and this is without a doubt a very strong area of the squad

Notable Youth Players:

Luka Pokleka - Caused my jaw to drop, at 16 years old he is already nearly as good as both my first team keepers, and has an immense amount of potential, with the media dubbing him the new Jernej Preradovic. When you are compared to the top national keeper who is good enough for Juventus, you know you've got a great player. However, his work rate and determination worry me, hopefully with tutoring that can be improved however.

Milos Jesenicnik - Another amazing youngster, who the media have dubbed the new Marko Bele, who is now a coach, however 48 caps and 3 goals tells me he wasn't half bad. What really shines here are his attributes, he already has better defensive attributes than my entire team, has speed to burn as well, his strength is rather low, but that can be fixed. His mental attributes are amazing for a 16 year old as well. He won't be a captain or wow you with his displays, but he will be a rock at the back end in a few years time.

Patrik Habjanic - Not as good as the above two, but another good youngster with a lot of potential. Very fast, high natural fitness, solid work rate and determination make him a solid player, his technical attributes do need a lot of work but at 16, has time to improve.

Aleksander Kreft - The worst of the bunch, but that doesn't mean he is bad at all. Once again another speedy player who will fit perfectly into my system when the time is right, his determination is his strongest point without a doubt at a huge 17! As with the above players, he will remain in the youth team for now and will get some experience playing in the cup.

National Team:

National Team - A 16 and a 17 year old in the national team and being one of the best players at the same time? Quite crazy. No players from Olimpija, yet.

U21 Nothing special here. 5 players from Olimpija are in the current selection.

U19 Once again, nothing crazy. 3 players in this selection

Overall thoughts and goals for the first season:

Not a bad team, there is a serious lack of depth at the back end but that can be sorted during the transfer window fairly easily, we have a sizable transfer budget at 150k€, and are 1,500€ under the wage budget meaning we have more than enough room to maneuver.

• Be competitive in the Europa League

• Achieve continental qualification

• Bolster the back line

• Persuade the board to upgrade facilities(At the moment, the don't seem to like me)

• Beat Maribor in all four games

Pre-Season Report

Fixtures:

Olimpija 1 : 1 Olimpija U18's

Friendly

Dimitris Papchristou (63)

My younglings showed they are certainly no pushovers here, a very close fought match and a draw was really the only fair result coming out of this match.

Olimpija 0 : 3 Karpaty

Friendly

Vinko Kranjc Injured (86)

Tomi Papic Red Card (90)

A real mess of a match, we were never in it, Karpaty completely dominated us in the first half scoring in the 4th and 30th minute. The second half we managed to give them a bit of a fight, and were actually slightly better, however it was of no use as Karpaty scored their third with a brilliant shot 2 minutes into extra time, completing the rout. Despite loosing the possession we maintained was a bit of a bright light, with 48% against a team that is far better than ours.

Olimpija 3 : 1 Pribram

Friendly

Marko Grbic (43)

Jan Nisandzic (53)

Amel Horvat (71)

A well deserved victory, they put up a fight in the first half, but in the second half we took the game to them and absolutely dominated them, we finished with 21 shots, however with only 5 on target that does have me worried as quite a few were long range efforts, let's hope it is a one off. Pribram scored a consolation goal of a penalty in the 87th minute, but it was too little too late as we walked out comfortable victors.

Olimpija 1 : 1 Győr

Europa League 1st Qual. Rnd. Leg 1

Saso Pucko (29)

An even game between two even teams, or so it might seem, but Gyor was really the better team, our goalkeeper saved our butts on this day, as we really only had one dangerous attempt at their net which resulted in a goal, whereas they had three one on ones thanks to the speed of their strikers(Note to self: get faster defenders.), i suppose i can say that we are lucky to get this draw, but it really isn't a good result and I'm not in any way satisfied

Győr (2) 1 : 0 (1)Olimpija

Europa League 1st Qual. Rnd. Leg 2

Well, that is one goal failed, but i cant fault the effort. We controlled the match, dinged 3 shots off the bar, and had a chance that the keeper barely saved, but that's the way it goes i suppose, if we keep playing like this I'm confident we can achieve our goals, it's just too bad we got eliminated by the post, and a complete wacko goal when our defence forgot that they're suppose to actually mark players. On to the next game!

Vidima Rakovski 1 : 0 Olimpija

Friendly

Dimitris Papachristou Injured (19)

Leave it to the underdogs to crush my morale before the start of the season, oh boy. Our team just decided not to show up at all, they were better than us the entire game and won it in the end, not sure what to say really, one game we're brilliant, the next game we don't show up at all.

Overall opinion:

Not good, we had 2 good performances but didn't show up when it mattered the most, looking at the pre-season, I'm not looking forward to this season as much as I had hoped at the start, and the loss of potential money from the Europe League is not good, at least we drew decent crowds. The defence is still struggling, and my offence hasn't clicked yet either, this might be one hell of a long season at this rate.

Archived