[FM11]Crazy Canuck on Global Managerial Tour - National Hero to Global Icon (hopefully...)

rancer890

Hey rancer, at the beginning of your thread where you put your career summaries, how do you do those coding boxes? I'd like to incorporate those in my thread but have no idea how...

Cheers.

cerud

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey rancer, at the beginning of your thread where you put your career summaries, how do you do those coding boxes? I'd like to incorporate those in my thread but have no idea how...

Cheers.

cerud

You can reply with quote to copy my format and fiddle around it how you like or use notepad like Flamers said or just put the format in Courier New font so it's easier for you to edit in the browser.

I feel your pain. I have had a world class striker sold over my head for £6m... We had £30m in the bank.

I wish there was some ultimatum button, or at least we should have some demands when we sign contracts whether they can sell players over our head or w/e. I have 5 months left on my contract and I was willing to sign a new deal till this happened.

I get plenty of scouts trying to find foreigners but it's already so hard finding the right fit. And now I have to find another foreigner who has the right set of attributes to succeed at Persipura.

Sigh, there's an ongoing board takeover that's taken nearly 3 months and it's nearly the end of the season. And my contract expires too for good measure.

I feel like a Winnipeg Jet/Atlanta Thrasher/Phoenix Coyote fan atm. I can't sign anyone :(

Awesome reference!! The whole Jet/Thrasher/Coyote fiasco has been years too long. What do you think about Seattle now saying they want a team? I guess that have the history as Seattle was the first American team to win the Stanley Cup weay back when...

Awesome reference!! The whole Jet/Thrasher/Coyote fiasco has been years too long. What do you think about Seattle now saying they want a team? I guess that have the history as Seattle was the first American team to win the Stanley Cup weay back when...

They need a new arena. The Sonics left because of it (or because Clay Bennett is a scam). Seattle isn't bad, there's probably some Canucks fans there.

Now all they need to do is get rid of CBJ (to Milwaukee), FLA (to Quebec), PHX (to Seattle/KC) and we're set. But it's unfortunate for Thrasher fans, because Atlanta Spirit never tried to resign their best players, always trading them away (Heater - although it was best for him to leave, Kovy, Lehtonen, Hossa, etc).

Yeah, Seattle would be great for regional rivalry with Vancouver, plus its easy to get to for away games. But you're right about the stadium. Apparently sight lines are horrible. It sucks for Atlanta that this is now 2 teams they're lost to Canadian cities (Atlanta Flames to Calgary way back when...). Also, Seattle would give another team in the West and let another more eastern city move back to the Eastern Conference. But at least 5-7 years away...if at all...

Heatley had to leave...to many bad memories after the car accident. The others, I agree.

Yeah, Seattle would be great for regional rivalry with Vancouver, plus its easy to get to for away games. But you're right about the stadium. Apparently sight lines are horrible. It sucks for Atlanta that this is now 2 teams they're lost to Canadian cities (Atlanta Flames to Calgary way back when...). Also, Seattle would give another team in the West and let another more eastern city move back to the Eastern Conference. But at least 5-7 years away...if at all...

Heatley had to leave...to many bad memories after the car accident. The others, I agree.

Buttman won't have too many teams north of the border. ASG can't find a local buyer so Winnipeg is the only option. The Thrashers sucked once they passed on both Sedins and Patrik 'can't score on a breakaway with an empty net' Stefan!

Atlanta had bad owners but Georgia is all about NASCAR and college football. If the Thrashers won a Cup early like the Lightning and Canes the team would stay in Atlanta.

Oh, and in other news, we finally got a new chairman but he doesn't seem to be an improvement over the old one. Hopefully can get an end-of-season update tonight, if not, I'll do it tomorrow.

Also, Seattle would give another team in the West and let another more eastern city move back to the Eastern Conference. But at least 5-7 years away...if at all...

If Atlanta moves to Winnipeg, you'll probably see them shifted into the West because otherwise you have the whole of the Central Division plus Minnesota to the east of them, but in the Western Conference. Allegedly, Little Gary promised Mike Ilitch the Red Wings would have first crack at moving to the East in the event of realignment.

Problem is, Nashville is a natural choice to take Atlanta's place in the Southeast. You could leave Winnipeg in the Central (there's precedent for it, as the Jets were in the Central their last 3 seasons).

Although I'm sure Winnipeg fans would love to go to the Northwest and restore their rivalries with Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary. Could do that and shift Minnesota to the Central so they get to restore their old Norris Division rivalries. Dallas would like to get out of the Pacific, so you could move them to the Central, slide Colorado over to take their spot, and then Winnipeg could be in the Northwest that way also; although then you have Minnesota (or Colorado) stranded as the only US team in the Northwest.

/tangent

2017-18 Season Review - Perispura Jayapura - Djarum Indonesia Super League

Perispura.png

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2 - We did a little better than last season, although we were challenging for the title before we went on a little winless streak in the latter stages to hang on for dear life to finish 2nd.

Piala Indonesia - We did better than last year, but still a bit disappointing because we just didn't play our football in the 3rd Round.

AFC Cup - I was really pleased with this competition, we didn't have much, and in the end, I gave the supporters a trophy, with a 2-0 win in the final. We automatically qualify for the AFC Champions League Preliminary Round in 2018.

AFC Champions League - We made it to the Group Stages this time, only to face 3 strong opponents but we tried our best and finished last in our group. However, I'm happy we beat Beijing, drew Gamba, and didn't lose heavily against Chunnam despite losing key players to injury or suspension.

Transfers - Not a lot of improvements to the squad, and 1 of them left the club after 6 months because the chairman wanted to cash in and didn't care about the progress of the club at all.

Riki Ibrahim - he did well at right back all season. No complaints about him.

Irfan Bachdim - he spent most of his football career in the Dutch lower leagues and the EXQI League in Belgium (2nd tier) with Tournai before signing with us. He did alright with 8 goals in 25 appearances.

Squad - The squad could definitely use some depth as some players are getting older

Overview | Facilities | Finances

We lost the Shakhtar affiliate after the takeover so we have no affiliations now. The new chairman didn't put any personal funds into the club (well not his money anyways, he borrowed $100k from the bank...)

Future Plans: I'm going to let my contract expire (or probably resign after my birthday, June 13) and go job hunting again and hopefully find something. If it's within Asia, hopefully in South Korea, because even I'm tired of spending 5+ years in every journeyman save in China...

Awards - Rafael Diogenes won the Super League Player of the Year award, and I won the manager of the year award (quite a shock tbh because the Persitara only lost 2 games all season).

Summary

Year        Team                 Country       League           Position                       Notes and Info  Attendance
2011        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         3rd                                  N/A       1,496
2012        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         1st                   Lost Playoff Final       1,512
2013        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         1st                        PDL Champions       1,558    
2014        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         1st             Lost Western Conf. Final       1,572
2015        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         N/A                     Resigned June 27       1,574
2015-2016   Persipura Jayapura   Indonesia     Divisi Utama          1st   Piala Indonesia winners, Promotion      13,060
2016-2017   Persipura Jayapura   Indonesia     Djarum ISL            3rd                                  N/A      13,422      
2017-2018   Persipura Jayapura   Indonesia     Djarum ISL            2nd                      AFC Cup Winners      15,807

If Atlanta moves to Winnipeg, you'll probably see them shifted into the West because otherwise you have the whole of the Central Division plus Minnesota to the east of them, but in the Western Conference. Allegedly, Little Gary promised Mike Ilitch the Red Wings would have first crack at moving to the East in the event of realignment.

Problem is, Nashville is a natural choice to take Atlanta's place in the Southeast. You could leave Winnipeg in the Central (there's precedent for it, as the Jets were in the Central their last 3 seasons).

Although I'm sure Winnipeg fans would love to go to the Northwest and restore their rivalries with Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary. Could do that and shift Minnesota to the Central so they get to restore their old Norris Division rivalries. Dallas would like to get out of the Pacific, so you could move them to the Central, slide Colorado over to take their spot, and then Winnipeg could be in the Northwest that way also; although then you have Minnesota (or Colorado) stranded as the only US team in the Northwest.

/tangent

I'm probably one of the few who don't want the Preds in the Southeast even though it just makes too much sense. I'm not a Preds fan but I always like how they were competitive in the Central against Detroit and Chicago. But the Wings aren't going anywhere imo. A Wings-Hawks rivalry is better for the US ratings than a Wings-Leafs game... At least the league has an entire year to figure that out.

What they should do is go back to the Patrick/Adams/Norris/Smythe naming convention. Then you don't have worry about geography (Detroit and the Kings were both in the Norris Division in the '70s). :D

What they should do is go back to the Patrick/Adams/Norris/Smythe naming convention. Then you don't have worry about geography (Detroit and the Kings were both in the Norris Division in the '70s). :D

That's what I prefer tbh, but as long as Gary is alive we're sticking with the 6 division format. :(

The geographical divisions never made any sense whatsoever anyways, in all our sports.

The stupid this is they're already said that Winnipeg would actually be in the southeast division for the first year because arena schedules were already givien in a couple months ago. Winnipeg would just slot in where Atlanta was. They would move into the northwest a year later.

KUTGW! I have an Indonesian save going on and money is most definitely a problem - I've even made once the Asian CL's quarterfinal, and that was just enough with player sales to keep the balance. The only three clubs having money are Sriwijaya and two teams which were taken over (one by a Danish guy, one by Javier Zanetti of all people!)

Could keep the 6 division format. Just need to find 2 more "builders" to put names on a division.

Imagine Bettman renames the Southeast after himself because 4 of the 5 teams were expansions/relocated in his era. :D

The stupid this is they're already said that Winnipeg would actually be in the southeast division for the first year because arena schedules were already givien in a couple months ago. Winnipeg would just slot in where Atlanta was. They would move into the northwest a year later.

Schedules are done 5-6 months in advance but they did have 1 for Atlanta and 1 for Winnipeg. I don't think an announcement will happen until after the Stanley Cup Final.

KUTGW! I have an Indonesian save going on and money is most definitely a problem - I've even made once the Asian CL's quarterfinal, and that was just enough with player sales to keep the balance. The only three clubs having money are Sriwijaya and two teams which were taken over (one by a Danish guy, one by Javier Zanetti of all people!)

The more sponsorship you have, the more resources you have to succeed. Unfortunately Persipura doesn't have the best corporate facilities (but now adequate compared to poor in the previous regime).

Excellent season rancer and a great AFC Cup win! Not a bad ACL run either despite finishing bottom of the group. The league title is definitely yours next season :)

Cheers Raware. It's nice to get a trophy and be competitive in the ACL. :)

I'm probably going to leave Persipura though. I just need a new start somewhere.

Good season there rancer, especially with the AFC title. :thup: Hopefully, that will have done enough for your rep to lead to a decent job elsewhere. What is your rep now btw?

It's currently 'Continental' but I'll take that with a grain of salt...It's easy to get Continental rep it seems, at least for me since I'm always in Asia.

I already have 2 job offers I'm considering, both from Europe, and they're not bad clubs, so I won't be unemployed for too long. :)

June 6, 2018

Persipura has announced the resignation of manager Ricky Nakano. Nakano was very thankful of the opportunity that the club gave him an opportunity to manage the club, citing the Piala Indonesia Cup win as well as the AFC Cup trophy as his highlights with the club.

There were rumours that Nakano did not see eye to eye with the previous chairman, M.R. Kambu, mainly due to the struggle for control of player transfers. Many people thought Nakano would at reconsider leaving after a takeover of the club, but this obviously didn't happen. Now the new chairman at the club can now try and find his own manager to lead the team to glory.

June 7, 2018 (annual contract terms - transfer budget - wage budget - current wage)

Offered Suwon City (S. Korea - N-League) job - ($55k/year - $95k - $550k - $313k) - Rejected

Offered Buyuksehir Bid. (Turkey - Bank Asya 1.Lig) job - ($450k/year - $230k - $6 million - $6.01 million) - Delayed

June 8, 2018

Offered Kuban (Russia - Pervji Divizion) job - ($275k/year - $1.9 million - $5.75 million - $4.3 million) - Delayed

June 12, 2018

Offered Fylkir (Iceland - 1st tier) job - ($26k/year ...) - Rejected

---

More details to come (later - have to go :p)

Kuban would be my choice.

They had a tycoon takeover in my game, becoming the 2nd richest club in Russia, and have spent £60m on players in the past three seasons. They haven't finished any higher than 3rd in the Prem'er Liga so far though.

Why did you reject Iceland :O :p

Because it's Iceland. ;)

The only Icelandic team I would consider is Stjarnan. :p

0_0 That's a lot for a second tier team!

It is, but the small transfer budget seems to indicate the finances aren't the most stable. There's potential there because they belong in the Super League at least. That job is a real challenge, because they're based in Istanbul and most football supporters there like either Galatasaray, Besiktas, or Fenerbahce irl.

Logo_of_Kuban_Krasnodar.png

Kuban Krasnodar

June 22, 2018

Former Persipura manager Ricky Nakano has accepted an offer from Kuban Krasnodar to become the next manager of the Russian club. The club is in the middle of the Pervyj Divizion season in 5th place after 18 games, one point off a promotion spot. He has been given a 3 year contract worth $275k per annum. He has a transfer kitty of $1.9 million, along with a $5.75 million wage budget. The current player wage total is $4.3 million.

The 33 year old spent the first 5 years of his managerial with the Victoria Highlanders in the American Premier Development League (PDL), before managing in Indonesia with Persipura Jayapura, winning the AFC Cup in 2017.

----

Since there's the 2018 World Cup, I have some time to figure out this squad a little more...

However, the chairman is listening to offers so we'll see what happens there.

I would have gone for Istanbul BBS, just for their ridiculous stadium more than anything else (they average about 4000 a week but get to play in the 80000 capacity Atatürk stadium)!

But Russia sounds like fun - somewhere I will head to at some point in my career as well :)

I would have gone for Istanbul BBS, just for their ridiculous stadium more than anything else (they average about 4000 a week but get to play in the 80000 capacity Atatürk stadium)!

But Russia sounds like fun - somewhere I will head to at some point in my career as well :)

They averaged 1200 fans that season. They really only get large attendances against the other Istanbul clubs...

Add in some debt they have (I've always hated managing clubs with large debt, unless you're the 2011 UEFA Champions League finalists), and that was enough to reject the offer. Oh, and also 0 STH and max of 3 foreigners overall, compared to max of 3 foreigners in the starting 11 with the Pervyj Divizion (and up to 6 in the Premier League).

Canada made it and Wales didn't? Bugged save there, mate. :D

Shockingly, Canada usually makes the World Cup most of the time in my saves. I think Stephen Hart should really try playing FM because their virtual counterparts actually win FIFA WCQ games.

Hmm, I picked an interesting club to manage, with a controversy like this irl. I could use them to help me terminate the contracts of some useless players. ;):D

Shockingly, Canada usually makes the World Cup most of the time in my saves. I think Stephen Hart should really try playing FM because their virtual counterparts actually win FIFA WCQ games.

Hmm, I picked an interesting club to manage, with a controversy like this irl. I could use them to help me terminate the contracts of some useless players. ;):D

Either thats the Russian way of conducting contract negotiations, or that have the Russian version of Jimmy Hoffa running some sort of protection racket!

2018 Season Review - Kuban Krasnodar - Russian Pervyj Divizion

Logo_of_Kuban_Krasnodar.png

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - A fantastic run (I had a W - D - L record of 16-4-0 in league games!!) after I was in charge led us up the table and Pervyj Divizion champions in my 1st season in charge.

Kubok Rossil - A narrow win in my 1st game in charge, but unfortunate we lost to Krasnodar during the beginning stages of our terrific run to the title.

Transfers - I didn't know much about Russian players, but I managed to sign 3 players.

Magomed Karev - Ukrainian goalkeeper who was a former Shakhtar prospect. He did well in limited action.

Andrey Oleinikov - young right back who has potential to be a good Prem'er Liga player. He was an absolute bargain at $14k

Armen Ambartsumyan - a coup on a free transfer. The former Zenit midfielder was solid for us this season

Squad - It's a very good squad, and here were the best players

Felyp - I didn't sign him, but he was fantastic all season

Alexandr Magomedov - he led the club in goals and I never expected it. But he kept scoring and soon he was regularly starting games. I'll see how he is against Prem'er Liga opposition.

Alexandr Koval - he was a solid presence in the time I was at the club. He's considered a good Prem'er Liga player.

Overview | Facilities | Affiliations | Finances

Summary

Year        Team                 Country       League           Position                       Notes and Info  Attendance
2011        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         3rd                                  N/A       1,496
2012        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         1st                   Lost Playoff Final       1,512
2013        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         1st                        PDL Champions       1,558    
2014        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         1st             Lost Western Conf. Final       1,572
2015        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         N/A                     Resigned June 27       1,574
2015-2016   Persipura Jayapura   Indonesia     Divisi Utama          1st   Piala Indonesia winners, Promotion      13,060
2016-2017   Persipura Jayapura   Indonesia     Djarum ISL            3rd                                  N/A      13,422      
2017-2018   Persipura Jayapura   Indonesia     Djarum ISL            2nd                      AFC Cup Winners      15,807
2018        Kuban Krasnodar      Russia        Pervyj Divizion       1st                            Promotion      17,211

Cracking first season Rancer :thup: Definitely a good decision to go Russia, no matter how corrupt they appear to be!

How do you think you'll hold up in the Prem'er Liga? Aside from four or five dominant teams, the rest seem quite evenly matched in my previous experiences of the Russian leagues.

Archived