[FM11]Crazy Canuck on Global Managerial Tour - National Hero to Global Icon (hopefully...)

rancer890

2020-2021 Season Preview - Vitoria Sport Club - Liga ZON Sagres

200px-Vit%C3%B3ria_Guimar%C3%A3es.svg.png

Media Prediction - 5th

Liga ZON Sagres Expectations - qualify for UEFA Europa League (top 5)

Taca de Portugal - Semi Final

Bwin Cup - not important

Wage Budget - $10.25 million

Transfer Budget - $9 million

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck with Vitoria :thup:

What's the expectations like? I suppose European football is a must if the board are waving around those transfer/wage budgets.

See post 201. :p

Frankly that's insane money for Guimarães. Have they been taken over by a tycoon or something? I can't imagine it's still the remains of Bebé's inflated transfer fee from the move to Man Utd!

With that kind of money you should be able to get into the top 4 without any problems and then challenge the established big 3.

No tycoon. :(

Nice move rancer :thup:. I guess the offer to Portugal was too good to turn down? Do you think you had taken Kuban as far as you could?

Finances wise, Kuban had more money, but Vitoria had more potential to succeed because (1) we have a greater chance of competing in Europe yearly, (2) the facilities were better. Lots of teams in Portugal don't really have money, and at Vitoria, I'm the sole reason atm the club has no money. :D

2020 Offseason Transfers - Vitoria Sport Club - Liga ZON Sagres

Transfers

I strengthened the squad a little. I used up all my funds in the process, putting us nearly $4 million in debt. Only to get some money back because of Europa League. :)

Gustavo Godinez - I did not sign him, but he has pretty good attributes for the team. He's contributing early in the season.

Dennis Schubert - acquired on loan from Chelsea. He has a lot of talent to do well at the club.

Pedro Luis - young 17 year old signed for a hefty fee. I hope he works out because this signing initially put into debt!!!

Jose Carlos Fuente - nothing more than free depth from new parent club Barca

Marcio - he was my 'Plan C' in terms of signing a striker. I wanted to bring Rabvu and another striker over but they chose other clubs. Hopefully he works out.

Lothar Matthes - another young striker signed for depth purposes.

Rogerinho - big signing from Sao Paulo, considering I fended off other clubs to seal this transfer. He's young and very talented.

We had to sell some players because they were unneeded and I needed to get some funds to secure other transfers...

The formation we will use for now is a standard 4-1-3-2 with 3 CMs and 1 DM because all our wingers are terrible.

----

We made it to the Europa League group stages after defeating Maribor (Slovenia) 3-0 on aggregate. Surprisingly, Kuban Krasnodar also made it to the group stages, defeating Sint-Truiden (Belgium) 2-1 on aggregate. We're up against Partizan (Serbia), Standard (Belgium) - who signed Rabvu btw, and Besiktas (Turkey) in Group H. Kuban have a much harder group with Sheriff (Moldova), Sevilla, and Hoffenheim in Group I.

With the Europa League prize money, we're now less than $2 million in debt.

Rogerinho looks well worth the pursuit Rancer - should be good for you! Out of interest why do you have the player ID's showing?

It's because I've entered the world of logo making and need those IDs to make them work. Been trying to finish a group of logos but haven't done much in a whole week. :p

So much money spent and Godinez is better than all the players you signed. :p

Lmao at "Lottar Mathes". What were his parents thinking. It's as if someone named their kid Cristiano Reinaldo.

So much money spent and Godinez is better than all the players you signed. :p

Lmao at "Lottar Mathes". What were his parents thinking. It's as if someone named their kid Cristiano Reinaldo.

He was unfortunately the only player the previous manager signed, and we needed some better players and the only way to get great quality was to spend some money. I'll probably dial my spending back a bit in the future though. I have my scouts all over Europe and South America (and hopefully one in North America soon) so I have lots of players to try and find.

I hope with a name like Lothar Matthes, he's got star "Kaiser" potential! :D

Didn't realize the similarities till now. Matthes has a similar goal scoring rate as Matthaus though. :(

It's because I've entered the world of logo making and need those IDs to make them work. Been trying to finish a group of logos but haven't done much in a whole week. :p

Logo making? So, can we expect some sort of pack from you in the future as a download?

Logo making? So, can we expect some sort of pack from you in the future as a download?

Perhaps. We'll see. No shiny ones or something like that though. Just a basic logo. I can't stand my saves without logos. :)

Perhaps. We'll see. No shiny ones or something like that though. Just a basic logo. I can't stand my saves without logos. :)

Me neither. I don't know how DSYoungEsq can play his save without his own teams logo! :D ;)I used to make my logos and kits but then found some that others have done which were much better than mine :)

Me neither. I don't know how DSYoungEsq can play his save without his own teams logo! :D ;)I used to make my logos and kits but then found some that others have done which were much better than mine

Hey, I was happy enough getting the right color shirts on the team for their current Centennial celebration! :D

Actually, Flamers, I think, sent me a complete logo pack for the WPL, but when I looked up what I had to do to get them installed, etc., I decided that was not something to try in the middle of a long save, in the middle of the school year. Maybe now that I'm out of school for the summer. :eek:

Wow...I'm in the running for the Chelsea job as their current manager is near the end of his contract...mind obviously these rumours are going to be rubbish in the end but it's nice to be in the conversation of managing a Premier League club. I might skip MLS management all together (again). :)

EDIT: I might also like to add this team is bloody useless ffs. I wouldn't mind leaving for another club tbh.

Aw, you're supposed to turn that all around, lead the charge, etc. :D

Well I'm trying. :D

Just that it's so frustrating blowing leads left, right, and centre. At least at Kuban when we lost our performance was encouraging. Not here. :(

2020-2021 Season Review - Vitoria Sport Club - Portuguese Liga ZON Sagres

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2 - A season with 2 terrible runs of form won't get you high up in the standings. I wanted top 4 but we blew it in the squad. We drew lots of games because we blew lots of leads. This will be fixed!!! (unless of course something good comes up :D)

Taca de Portugal - A pretty good run in the cup competition, but I knew we couldn't win when we faced Porto in the final...

Bwin Cup - I thought we could do something in this competition, but drawing the 1st game pretty much eliminated us in the end, because beating Sporting CP wasn't going to happen.

UEFA Europa League - I was happy enough to get into the group stage, but we struggled in the last four games and finished last in the group.

Transfers - Some good signings, some terrible ones.

Gustavo Godinez - he scored most of his goals as a striker, however, I'll be open to offers if teams meet my price tag.

Dennis Schubert - Overall a real good season from him. A bit undisciplined like most of the squad though, and he isn't even that aggressive

Pedro Luis - young player who will have a bigger role next year. Might even train him into a centre back because he has pretty good attributes to become a good one (if he can develop his composure and concentration)

Rogerinho - a solid season from my key signing. With some better players hopefully he'll get more goals and assists

Fernando Mendes - I'm shocked he got 15 assists in 21 games (13 in 16 league games). He's got great speed and I wouldn't mind having him back next year. Imagine if he played all season for us...

The rest of them (other than Matthes - I wouldn't mind a depth player at the beginning of the year scoring 10 goals overall, and become my 2nd leading scorer) were busts.

Squad - Some players are probably going to leave, because I never liked them anyways. I probably won't go as crazy signing players as I was at Kuban, but I'll need to wheel and deal to find the right players at the right price.

Overview | Facilities | Affiliations | Finances

Summary

Year        Team                 Country       League           Position                       Notes and Info  Attendance
2011        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         3rd                                  N/A       1,496
2012        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         1st                   Lost Playoff Final       1,512
2013        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         1st                        PDL Champions       1,558    
2014        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         1st             Lost Western Conf. Final       1,572
2015        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         N/A                     Resigned June 27       1,574
2015-2016   Persipura Jayapura   Indonesia     Divisi Utama          1st   Piala Indonesia winners, Promotion      13,060
2016-2017   Persipura Jayapura   Indonesia     Djarum ISL            3rd                                  N/A      13,422      
2017-2018   Persipura Jayapura   Indonesia     Djarum ISL            2nd                      AFC Cup Winners      15,807
2018        Kuban Krasnodar      Russia        Pervyj Divizion       1st                            Promotion      17,211
2019        Kuban Krasnodar      Russia        Prem'er Liga          8th                                  N/A      24,125
2020        Kuban Krasnodar      Russia        Prem'er Liga          N/A                                  N/A         N/A
2020-2021   Vitoria Sport Club   Portugal      Liga ZON Sagres       5th           Taca de Portugal Finalists      22,145

2021-2022 Season Preview - Vitoria Sport Club - Liga ZON Sagres

Media Prediction - 6th

Liga ZON Sagres Expectations - qualify for UEFA Europa League

Taca de Portugal - Semi Final

Bwin Cup - not important

Supercup - not important

Wage Budget - $9 million (currently spending $8,605,568)

Transfer Budget - $1.2 million

Not a bad first season rancer :thup:. You must be happy with European qualifcation?

Yes, I'm happy with European qualification, but not happy with starting in the 3rd Quali Round. Need to get creative with getting under the wage budget and using that transfer budget again.

Reading - English npower Football League Championship

200px-Reading_FC.svg.png

July 9, 2021 - Backed by a Croatian tycoon, Reading FC have hired former Vitoria Sport Club manager Ricky Nakano to a 3 year contract rumoured to be around $1,600,000 a year. Having been relegated to the Championship from the Premier League the previous season, Nakano's first task is to assemble a group of players to get them back to the Premier League. It's the team 150th anniversary and the club would want to celebrate with a Championship title.

Media Prediction - 1st

Championship Expectations - win it

FA Cup - reach 6th Round

Carling Cup - reach Quarter Final

Transfer Budget - $6.75 million

Wage Budget - $24 million (currently spending $37.98 million)

-----

New job. There's a Croatian tycoon who recently took over the club and I'm the man in charge to lead them. It's all good except we need to trim the wages down a little. It's my first time back in England in a long, long time. :)

Oh, I'm so confused now. I'm apparently only on a $975k a year contract with a wage budget under $15 million...but the finances are around $60 million. I asked for an increase in wage budget and now we got $21 million to spend on player wages.

Oooo...the lying chairman! While it's always nice to have a tycoon chairman (i've never had one myself), there are pressures with that. Do you think you'll survive the sack if you don't bounce straight back up?

I presume it was the promise of money from a tycoon that swayed your decision to move from Portugal after just one year?

Perhaps the tycoon is holding back to see what happens and will then splash the cash once you're back in the Premier League.

Best of luck with Reading and dealing with your success-hungry sugar daddy. :D

One of two things I've never experienced on FM but would dearly love to: a tycoon takeover (the other being a son coming through the youth ranks)

That was a very short stop-off in Portugal! ;)

Good luck with Reading and splashing all that cash. If your tycoon doesn't get bored too soon (or he doesn't sack you :eek:), you could be the new Man City in a season or two :D

Oooo...the lying chairman! While it's always nice to have a tycoon chairman (i've never had one myself), there are pressures with that. Do you think you'll survive the sack if you don't bounce straight back up?

I presume it was the promise of money from a tycoon that swayed your decision to move from Portugal after just one year?

I was very confused in the beginning but it seems to be back to normal now. It's highly unlikely I survive if I don't get immediate promotion, considering the fact that the chairman can afford to sack me. The tycoon backing was the only reason I decided to join Reading. The tycoon only took over the club after Reading got relegated to the Championship.

Perhaps the tycoon is holding back to see what happens and will then splash the cash once you're back in the Premier League.

Best of luck with Reading and dealing with your success-hungry sugar daddy. :D

One of two things I've never experienced on FM but would dearly love to: a tycoon takeover (the other being a son coming through the youth ranks)

Perhaps...I wouldn't want to spend that much cash in the Championship anyways since I think with some minor additions we can win the Championship. I have gotten a son in FM09 and now managing for a tycoon!! I'm saving the money for the Premier League!!

That was a very short stop-off in Portugal! ;)

Good luck with Reading and splashing all that cash. If your tycoon doesn't get bored too soon (or he doesn't sack you), you could be the new Man City in a season or two

Hehe, I didn't mind leaving Portugal but I didn't really expect interest in me after one average season in Portugal. Vitoria was never in my long term plans. I'm not going to really splash the cash this season, because we can win in the Championship without spending a fortune. If we win and get promoted, I will do whatever necessarily to stay up. :)

Awesome move rancer. Having a tycoon will make this an exciting season

Cheers iacovone. I hope so too. For once in my career I have the financial resources to succeed. :)

I am jealous... I have a chairman who steals £11m a year and you get free money...

You're doing quite well from a team in Iceland...I have had to scrape by at all my other clubs (although at Persipura the chairman would pump some money in if we were too much in debt) before getting to Reading with loads of resources to work with. Before the sugar daddy chairman came in the club was $20 million in debt!!

I'm playing in front of smaller crowds than at Persipura, Kuban, and Vitoria as well.

2021 Off-season Transfers - Reading - English npower Football League Championship

200px-Reading_FC.svg.png

Transfers

Some solid transfers with a nice surprise at the end ;)

Lloyd Cudworth - I didn't sign him, but the former Man City youth has some nice potential to be a good Premier League player

Jake Emery - loaned from Spurs to help out in the midfield. He played for Leicester and Colchester, both in the Championship, in the last 2 seasons with good results.

Kamil Owczarek - this German/Polish centreback spent last season in the Eredivisie and held his own. Hopefully he does well at Reading this season

Liam Murray - Manchester United signed him off us last season for $4.8 million, and I just sold off his clause which netted us another $5+ million!! I gave a little bit back to United to acquire the services of one of our former youths for a season.

Wayne Rooney - I also acquired another former Manchester United player, who football fans around the world should be familiar with, unless you were living under a rock since the turn of the new millennium. He is past his prime, and he's a little slow, and I probably overpaid, but this should at least attract spectators and give us another player to push for promotion. Apparently he also spent a week on trial with Celtic and they're now his favoured club already. No such luck at Reading though. :D

---

Hopefully all this is good enough for promotion. :)

Oh, and I thought Canada's performance against Guadeloupe was bad, but US shockingly lost to Panama. Have fun with Bob Bradley for who knows how many years my Southern neighbours. ;)

He'll be there through the World Cup. The USSF is too cheap to pay out the remainder of his contract and the salary of a new manager.

Whether we'll be at the World Cup is to be determined.

He'll be there through the World Cup. The USSF is too cheap to pay out the remainder of his contract and the salary of a new manager.

Whether we'll be at the World Cup is to be determined.

They'll be in Brazil. CONCACAF is too weak for them not to place in the top 3. I'll be lucky to see Canada at the World Cup in my lifetime.

How can you love a club that takes you on trial but doesn't sign you? Hmmm - odd.

I know, I found that very odd...not really too sure what to make of it.

Good luck with Reading. I would love to have a tycoon takeover one day.

Cheers. Hope you can manage under a tycoon soon. :)

Good mental even though he has no speed :) DLF maybe?

That's probably the best for him. He's playing on the wing atm because my only right winger (!!!) who's decent is injured.

That picture of Rooney needs updating now he's had his hair transplant :D

I think it's a FM10 facepack. :D

Well, I'm disappointed you didn't stick with the Portuguese outfit. I think you could have turned it around there. However, I certainly understand the temptation to follow the money. :D

I am a bit surprised you bottled it with Partizan, but did well against Besiktas. I'd have thought the Turks much tougher opposition than the Serbs.

Good Luck with Reading! Bounce back up, and have fun doing it. :)

Well, I'm disappointed you didn't stick with the Portuguese outfit. I think you could have turned it around there. However, I certainly understand the temptation to follow the money. :D

I am a bit surprised you bottled it with Partizan, but did well against Besiktas. I'd have thought the Turks much tougher opposition than the Serbs.

Good Luck with Reading! Bounce back up, and have fun doing it. :)

Cheers DSYoungEsq. Vitoria are doing quite well atm, better position than my first season at the club, so it's looking good for all parties involved. :)

We were on good form against Besiktas, and we were struggling when we faced Partizan, so we didn't get the result I wanted. Other than the occasional crash dump it's been fun. :D

Oh, and I thought Canada's performance against Guadeloupe was bad, but US shockingly lost to Panama. Have fun with Bob Bradley for who knows how many years my Southern neighbours. ;)

The Canadians in the Gold Cup did pretty horrible all around. Only 2 penalty kick goals in 3 games and thats it?? Ouch...

2021-2022 Season Review - Reading FC - English npower Football League Championship

200px-Reading_FC.svg.png

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2 | Fixtures 3 - A fantastic season overall, losing only 3 times. We set a new record for points in a season, and were only 5 goals away from breaking the most goals ever in the Championship as well. I don't expect the Premier League to be easy though!

FA Cup - It was a fantastic run in the FA Cup. The hardest game was probably the 2nd leg against Liverpool, but we won the 5th Round repeat on penalties. Wins against Premier League clubs Leeds and Cardiff saw us go up against Newcastle in the Final, winning 3-1 and getting a spot in the Europa League 4th Qualifying Round.

Carling Cup - Another solid run in a cup competition, till we got owned by Stoke in the Semi Final.

Transfers - All my transfers were useful this season (I didn't sign Cudworth).

Jake Emery - He spent 2 previous years on loan at the Championship level, but this year was by far his best year.

Kamil Owczarek - He didn't disappoint. I don't have an option to buy him but I'll love to have him for next season.

Liam Murray - he didn't start a lot, but he sure played a lot of games. He was solid all season.

Wayne Rooney - He was solid this season but he faded a bit down the stretch. He's interested in coaching so I'm interested in keeping him at the club after his playing days are over

David Ogden - He did well in his half season stint at the club. I'm looking to make a permanent purchase for $2.2 million.

Squad - A great team this season. We had 4 players who scored 15 goals or so in all competitions. Manolo Gabbiadini tied Rooney for the club lead in goals scored and prior to last season, he scored 10 league goals in the Premier League the previous 2 seasons. Joe Elder is a young player with potential and Solomon Onana is a good midfielder in his first full season at Reading.

Overview | Facilities | Affiliations | Finances

Despite the fact that expenditure exceeded turnover by over $30 million, I think it'll be alright when we're in the Premier League, with European football to boot. And I'm already Favoured Personnel. :)

Summary

Year        Team                 Country       League           Position                       Notes and Info  Attendance
2011        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         3rd                                  N/A       1,496
2012        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         1st                   Lost Playoff Final       1,512
2013        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         1st                        PDL Champions       1,558    
2014        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         1st             Lost Western Conf. Final       1,572
2015        Victoria Highlanders Canada        PDL Northwest         N/A                     Resigned June 27       1,574
2015-2016   Persipura Jayapura   Indonesia     Divisi Utama          1st   Piala Indonesia winners, Promotion      13,060
2016-2017   Persipura Jayapura   Indonesia     Djarum ISL            3rd                                  N/A      13,422      
2017-2018   Persipura Jayapura   Indonesia     Djarum ISL            2nd                      AFC Cup Winners      15,807
2018        Kuban Krasnodar      Russia        Pervyj Divizion       1st                            Promotion      17,211
2019        Kuban Krasnodar      Russia        Prem'er Liga          8th                                  N/A      24,125
2020        Kuban Krasnodar      Russia        Prem'er Liga          N/A                                  N/A         N/A
2020-2021   Vitoria Sport Club   Portugal      Liga ZON Sagres       5th           Taca de Portugal Finalists      22,145
2021-2022   Reading FC           England       Championship          1st            Promotion, FA Cup Winners      13,532

Archived