[FM11] Pull on your Marigolds

Dan BHTFC

Littlehampton Town - Sussex County League Division 2 - 2010/2011

Littlehampton%20Town%20FC.jpg

After applying at every single Sussex club who were looking for managers I had a reply from Littlehampton Town, who have a history of some success within the County, but not for a very long time. Littlehampton are an Amateur club who play at The Sportsfield in Littlehampton with a capacity of 4000 (260 seated) and is also shared with the local cricket team. With no budget I had to sign players on amateur contracts, pretty easy at this level but I was looking for local talent, selling them off and improving the Youth set up at this club so it becomes self sufficient but that was a few years away. We had 3 failed takeover attempts during the season, I hoped one went through as it would be good to get some extra cash into the club.

We started off the season strongly, I was looking for promotion so we could hopefully turn Semi-Pro, we had a great win in the F.A Cup as we beat Billericay Town of the Ryman Premier in the Extra Preliminary round, that was followed by wins against Coventry Copsewood and Woodley Sports before Paulton Rovers of the Southern League put us out after a replay in the 2nd Qualifying Round, we made a bit of money from this little run which will come in handy if we turn Semi-Pro. The F.A Vase also saw the Marigolds progress well into the competition, wins against Minehead and Kingsbury London Tigers put us into the 1st Round where we faced Cogenhoe, which we won 2-0. More wins against Horspath, Hayling United, Glossop North End, Wigan Robin Park and Mildenhall Town put us into the Semi-Finals where we met Winchester City, a tough prospect! In the first leg we took the lead early in the second half, South African Mark McVeigh put us ahead much to the delight of our fans. We had numerous chances to make it safe but we couldn't score so now we had a 1 goal lead to go into the second leg with. Our visit to Winchester got off to a bad start, we conceded a goal within 40 seconds of the game, I was not happy! mark McVeigh equalised but it was ruled out for offside, I don't think these officials like us! Winchester got a second on 53 minutes, we had to score but we couldn't find that goal so we crashed out at the Semi-Final stage which I was more than happy with, there's always next season.

In the County Cup competitions, we were knocked out of the Senior Cup against a very strong Crawley Town side who showed the 5 division gap between the teams, the RUR Charity Cup saw us beat 5 Sussex County Division 1 teams to lift the trophy, our first piece of silverware! So that left us with one Cup left to win, the John O'Hara League Cup, we beat Rottingdean Village (Div.3), Hailsham Town (Div.1), Westfield (Div.2), Chichester City (Div.1) and Crowborough Athletic (Div.1) to make it through to the Final where we played Ferring (Div.3), we took the lead in the first half and held onto it in front of a good crowd of over 700 to pick up our 2nd Cup of the season.

In the League, we won the title quite easily, only losing 2 games which were both my fault by fielding understrength sides to give my younger players a run out. So with promotion I'm hoping to be pushing towards the top half of Division 1 next season.

Archived