Off Topic Thread: Hey lurkers, post ffs!!

Purefun

Are you suggesting I'm not a proper football fan Cleon? Cos I take offence at that. And I really don't want to take offence at you. But I will if I have to

If you want to take offence then do so. I'm not really bothered if you do or don't.
And it's not like Spain haven't proven you can win with pretty football.

Execption to the rule? Name the last side (not counting Spain) who won an International tournament playing good football? And I'll name twice as many that did it playing 'negative football'.
And yes tom, I am one of those Spurs fans who want to see football played in the 'right way' or the 'Spurs way' if you will. As for if I'd prefer England to come 4th playing the right way, I'm really not sure I care enough about England to be bothered about that.

I don't believe you. You'd rather win the league and been unpretty that try and be fancy and finish in a Europa League spot.

And Spurs haven't finished 4th playing pretty either. I've seen Spurs be quite shocking this season and play ugly football.

And grats on been engaged
:cool:

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRL88

• tomtuck01

• Cleon

• Nottingham Forest

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Edgar mate :)

And on the other hand, being an Arsenal fan I know about how football 'should' be played, but if it meant Arsenal playing what some people call 'anti-football' I would take a 1-0 win over a 0-0 draw after having loads of possession. I would rather we win something while parking the bus rather than not winning something playing perfect football. I really don't care just as long as they win. Likewise England, I'm not bothered about how we play just as long as we win, also I thoroughly enjoyed watching Greece with Euro 2004 the way they played.

Obviously the ideal combination is to play attractive football whilst winning however, it is very rare that this actually occurs in football. There are certainly a few exceptions as we look to Barcelona and Spain, but I think it's fair to say that teams are learning how to cope with their approach a lot more effectively and causing them to be less successful in their approach.

There are very few teams who can play attractive football in all situations. The aim of a competition is to win and to do so it makes sense to play to your strengths.

That said, I'd like to think in these next two games we will see some nice football from England between the front men of Young, Welbeck, Rooney, Chamberlain (if playing) etc.

Thanks for everyones congrats, much appreciated.

I see Michael Ballack has agreed with me today about Englands style. Not sure I should be that happy about that, but I'd say his footballing credentials are pretty strong.

I see Michael Ballack has agreed with me today about Englands style. Not sure I should be that happy about that, but I'd say his footballing credentials are pretty strong.

No one is actually disagreeing that the style should be better, but you have to work best with what you have available at the time.

With the greatest of respect to the old guard, (players such as Gerrard, Parker, and those who would have been at the tournament had they been fit, i.e. Barry and Lampard), they are not good enough to play this lovely little passing game like the Spaniards, Dutch, etc, do. And that is purely down to the way they were coached when they were younger. I've seen this for myself, and it is appalling the way kids are coached at times. I've seen outstanding kids at the age of 16 just dropped because they aren't big and strong, although they are far superior technicians than all the other boys given a chance. It's a damning indicement of our thinking in the past god knows how many years.

Now the youngers players who are coming through are better at that style, and hopefully in the next couple of years in the qualifying phase they will be given the chance and time to prove themelves. I am talking about the likes of Wilshere, Clevereley, Jack Rodwell, Ross Barkley, etc, who are all good technicians.

Hopefully in the future, and I mean near future, not 20 years down the line, we will see a better style of football. But unfortunately for now we have to make do with what we have, and last night it wasn't pretty, but it was effective.

Now there's something we can agree on tom, the standard of youth coaching in this country is appalling. One thing that Spain, Germany and Holland benefit from is a very high standard of coaching at an early age that emphasises technique over strength and size. Once we get this ingrained in our mentality we'll be sorted (though history suggests that strength, power etc are the English way so it may never change)

No one is actually disagreeing that the style should be better, but you have to work best with what you have available at the time.

With the greatest of respect to the old guard, (players such as Gerrard, Parker, and those who would have been at the tournament had they been fit, i.e. Barry and Lampard), they are not good enough to play this lovely little passing game like the Spaniards, Dutch, etc, do. And that is purely down to the way they were coached when they were younger. I've seen this for myself, and it is appalling the way kids are coached at times. I've seen outstanding kids at the age of 16 just dropped because they aren't big and strong, although they are far superior technicians than all the other boys given a chance. It's a damning indicement of our thinking in the past god knows how many years.

Now the youngers players who are coming through are better at that style, and hopefully in the next couple of years in the qualifying phase they will be given the chance and time to prove themelves. I am talking about the likes of Wilshere, Clevereley, Jack Rodwell, Ross Barkley, etc, who are all good technicians.

Hopefully in the future, and I mean near future, not 20 years down the line, we will see a better style of football. But unfortunately for now we have to make do with what we have, and last night it wasn't pretty, but it was effective.

Amen :applause:

Rome wasn't built in 6 weeks, etc, etc.

Now there's something we can agree on tom, the standard of youth coaching in this country is appalling. One thing that Spain, Germany and Holland benefit from is a very high standard of coaching at an early age that emphasises technique over strength and size. Once we get this ingrained in our mentality we'll be sorted (though history suggests that strength, power etc are the English way so it may never change)

It's good to see the FA modifying the coaching courses at the minute to make them more difficult and to be more in depth, particularly the level 1, which is the only, if any, qualification most grass-root coaches have.

What the **** is going on here. How can anyone sit there and complain. We all went into this tournamet noyt expecting much and why should we. Hodgson hasn't been in the job 2 minutes so he can't work wonders. We played to OUR strengths last night and not to France's. If we went into the gsme and played a neat passing game we would have been beat comprehensively. The fact that we limited France to shots from distance is a fantastic thing defensively. They couldn't break us down and we were so resolute in defence. I don't take this **** of the right way to play. Do you think Chelsea cared how they played football against 0barca and Bayern? No. At the end of the day, winning is all that matters and I could happily sit and watch England play the most boring football on earth and win every game 1-0 in this tournament because if we do, guess what, we win the European Championships!!!

Yeah but Edgar already admitted he wasn't a 'fan' of England. I'm sure if he was more of a fan then he wouldn't care and would like to see any winning style of football like the rest of us, but as a spectator with an interest, or whatever, you can understand why he dislikes the style of football.

Did anyone click that link earlier?

No.

I tried to make Euro 2012 U21 XI, I hope you guys can find time to read it. (and I hope that posting links is not forbidden)

http://tinyurl.com/d9lrysb

Had a skim, will read later probably. :thup:

It's ok Koma. I'm funny about links. I shall still not click it. Tom doesn't like newbies usually so you should be honoured.

You're funny about links? Stop posting gay songs then :D

Nope. I just don't like none of this Moshy stuff that you and SRL seem to like if I'm not mistaken :D. I have a very weird taste in music. My favourite ever song is Cher- Do You Believe. I think the Lighthouse Family are awesome. Spandau Ballet are good too and is it Boy George/Culture Club's - Karma Chameleon is a good song as well. Enrique Iglesias is ok. I'll listen to anything that I like the sound of tbh.

Nope. I just don't like none of this Moshy stuff that you and SRL seem to like if I'm not mistaken :D. I have a very weird taste in music. My favourite ever song is Cher- Do You Believe. I think the Lighthouse Family are awesome. Spandau Ballet are good too and is it Boy George/Culture Club's - Karma Chameleon is a good song as well. Enrique Iglesias is ok. I'll listen to anything that I like the sound of tbh.

I like heavy rock but my favourite bands are the Doors(got the lead singer tattooed on my chest), Leonard Cohen, Jefferson Airplane, Johnny Cash and Pink Floyd.

I like heavy rock but my favourite bands are the Doors(got the lead singer tattooed on my chest), Leonard Cohen, Jefferson Airplane, Johnny Cash and Pink Floyd.

The Doors :cool:

Whoever was in goal for Greece was pretty horrendous. Both Czech's goals were savable.

Tbh, thought that the LB was at fault for both goals. He was way too advanced and the Czech RB and AMR had acres of space behind. He was at fault for the Poland goal in their previous game too. Although the keeper could have probably done better.

At the other end of the scale though, Tomas Hubschman was rock solid in defense for the Czechs

I think Petr Cech was pretty poor tbh.

Glad to see Powell going to Man Utd, I think he'll be great in 2-3 months once hes dapated. Hope he gets games this season.

Loving Powell going to Man United will pay for Crewe academy for years. It's great going to all the Crewe games and watching him develop over the season I think he will do well within a season. He can get a bit arsey at times and tries to do everything himself but that is sort of expected from a youngster who is constantly told he will become a great player one day.

Tbh, thought that the LB was at fault for both goals. He was way too advanced and the Czech RB and AMR had acres of space behind. He was at fault for the Poland goal in their previous game too. Although the keeper could have probably done better.

At the other end of the scale though, Tomas Hubschman was rock solid in defense for the Czechs

I didn't watch todays games but I felt that in the first half against Poland, the Greek's left side of defence was very susceptible to attack and a lot of space was found here. Although, this was amended somewhat in the second half.

He's got one year left on his contract and I know he wants an extension because he feels the players' respect for him will go if he only has a year left. Something like that. But Redknapps apparently rubbished the rumours, so it's as we were :thup:

I'll listen to anything that I like the sound of tbh.

Surely this is true for everyone? The thing is you don't like the sound of anything unless it's been tailored to sound good to 14 year old girls.

NB: seeing as you seem to take everything I say seriously, this probably isn't true.

His name and not just a photo of Jim Morrison I presume? :D

Surely this is true for everyone? The thing is you don't like the sound of anything unless it's been tailored to sound good to 14 year old girls.

NB: seeing as you seem to take everything I say seriously, this probably isn't true.

His name and not just a photo of Jim Morrison I presume? :D

It's a tattoo of his face.

Oh right. The :D, kind of made it look like I something to say. Nope, I don't. The :D was a :D to say that I'm lost for words which isn't usually normal for me.

I shall go back and edit my post. AB, I think I've confused people and then confused myself.

Edit: I was just replying to Joe. I have no good news. Given up on that girl. Happily be single for the time being. Women only take your money :D(not being serious). I should have enough confidence tbh. It just vanishes when it comes to certain things.

*prepares to be infracted*