Off Topic Thread: Hey lurkers, post ffs!!

Purefun

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRL88

• tomtuck01

• Cleon

• Nottingham Forest

Top Posters In This Topic

Found out a few days ago that my friends husband has died of a heart attack, he was only 38. Kind of puts life in perspective as they just had a newborn. Based on this i have decided to exercise more and drink less. Anybody got any tips on how to start, the exercise that is. I am woefully unfit after many years of excess.

EDIT: i should have posted that i am looking for options/ideas other than the gym. i have tried the gym on many ocassions and have been terribly bored with classes/machines after a few months.

Looks like a good win for Wigan, although Espinoza maybe should have been punished for a foul in the box.

EDIT: interesting fact from the comentators (SP?) that Spurs haven't had a penalty at home in the league in 2 years. As i type this Bale scores a cracker. Any bets on him being at Spurs next season?

Found out a few days ago that my friends husband has died of a heart attack, he was only 38. Kind of puts life in perspective as they just had a newborn. Based on this i have decided to exercise more and drink less. Anybody got any tips on how to start, the exercise that is. I am woefully unfit after many years of excess.

EDIT: i should have posted that i am looking for options/ideas other than the gym. i have tried the gym on many ocassions and have been terribly bored with classes/machines after a few months.

Walking? Cycling? Swimming? all good forms of exercise and allow you to do at your own pace.

Swmming & cycling especially as you use a lot of muscles that you wouldn't usually. I find swimming more beneficial exercise wise, but cycling is nice if you want some peace, I find.

Walking? Cycling? Swimming? all good forms of exercise and allow you to do at your own pace.

Yeah swimming is probably the best option for me as i quite enjoy it. I have plenty of options for it over here in Australia as well. Tried cycling a few years ago but got bored with it fairly quickly.

I have just been reading an article titled eight footballers say 'we are gay' but keep quiet in fear of fans[i/] in the Guardian. Basically the premise of the article is that some players have come out within the game, and been accepted for it, but not publicly as they fear the fans will use it against them when playing badly.

Surely as a society we have moved on from such stupid attitudes ( i mean as a whole. obviously some idiots will always remain)? i realise that you will get some idiots use it against the players, in the same way race is used by idiots, but surely the vast majority of football fans would drown out the mindless idiots.

Or am i just being naive? i'd like to think that if i was at a game and witnessed predujdical (SP?) behaviour that i would report it and react to it rather than staying quiet (as i have done in the past but not in this respect).

I think you're being naive. I'm reliably informed that the away end at Brighton games will almost always break into a chant of "does your boyfriend know you're here". Most will chalk it up to friendly banter, but then how is homophobia any different to racial chants?

I think you're being naive. I'm reliably informed that the away end at Brighton games will almost always break into a chant of "does your boyfriend know you're here". Most will chalk it up to friendly banter, but then how is homophobia any different to racial chants?

You see this is where (SP?) i think we, as a footballing community, could improve. It is up to the majority of fans to make it acceptable for gay players/fans to feel comfortable. I think the comment above sums it up pretty succinctly. The away fans at the Brighton games should be punished, I am pretty sure taking 3 points of for every proven prejudicial comment will have an effect, as should all prejudicial comments. Unfortunately it is only through people like ourselves that the prejudice can be beaten and it seems we are too far and few.

You see this is where (SP?) i think we, as a footballing community, could improve. It is up to the majority of fans to make it acceptable for gay players/fans to feel comfortable. I think the comment above sums it up pretty succinctly. The away fans at the Brighton games should be punished, I am pretty sure taking 3 points of for every proven prejudicial comment will have an effect, as should all prejudicial comments. Unfortunately it is only through people like ourselves that the prejudice can be beaten and it seems we are too far and few.

Playing devils advocate here but if it was a chant about a straight man and his missus that would be classed as banter and acceptable. Gay people are equals so shouldn't be exempt for that reason. They've lobbied for years to be classed as equals and have the same rights. So they shouldn't be treated any different imo as that then makes them different and causes a divide, something they don't want.

And if you were to take 3 points for everything bad that is proven you'd have no clubs left. The Brighton fans will be no different to any other fans with what they chant about. To suggest or believe otherwise is being naive imo.

Playing devils advocate here but if it was a chant about a straight man and his missus that would be classed as banter and acceptable. Gay people are equals so shouldn't be exempt for that reason. They've lobbied for years to be classed as equals and have the same rights. So they shouldn't be treated any different imo as that then makes them different and causes a divide, something they don't want.And if you were to take 3 points for everything bad that is proven you'd have no clubs left. The Brighton fans will be no different to any other fans with what they chant about. To suggest or believe otherwise is being naive imo.

Fans chanting "you're just a town full of faggots", swap faggots for ******* and you'd have the police and FA involved. Homophobic chanting has no place in society or football in my opinion. It's a shame you feel the 'banter' is okay as they want to be treated as equal...

As far as I'm aware homophobic abuse is illegal, a hate crime is it not?

Oh do me a favour. That's like saying if black people want to be treated as equal, they should accept racial abuse as banter. Fans chanting "you're just a town full of faggots", swap faggots for ******* and you'd have the police and FA involved. Homophobic chanting has no place in society or football in my opinion. It's a shame you feel the 'banter' is okay as they want to be treated as equal...

As far as I'm aware homophobic abuse is illegal, a hate crime is it not.

How about read what I put instead of taking it out of context? Especially as it was aimed at the comment you reckon the Brighton fans chant, which btw isn't homophobic either. That's no different that saying 'does your wife know you're here. Anyone offended by that wants to actually try living in the real world and out of the little perfect world bubble they've created.

Playing devils advocate here but if it was a chant about a straight man and his missus that would be classed as banter and acceptable. Gay people are equals so shouldn't be exempt for that reason

Then you have to cut out the chants about straight people, its only fair. You can't have 1 rule for one set and then one rule for another. I bet you've participated in some offence chant while been at a game. If you say you never have then I wouldn't believe you tbh, everyone has at some stage.

Now if the chants are actually malicious and personal attacks and is proper abuse then ofc its not alright. But that should be the case for all and not based on what colour or sexuality you are.

Plus I find it a bit ironic that you are arguing against this behaviour yet used it above to try and get your point across :thup:

And as for the last bit of your post, its the same law whether straight, gay etc Section 74 and Schedule 16 amend Part 3A of the Public Order Act 1986 to extend hate crime legislation to cover "hatred against a group of persons defined by reference to sexual orientation(whether towards persons of the same sex, the opposite sex or both)."

How about read what I put instead of taking it out of context? Especially as it was aimed at the comment you reckon the Brighton fans chant, which btw isn't homophobic either. That's no different that saying 'does your wife know you're here. Anyone offended by that wants to actually try living in the real world and out of the little perfect world bubble they've created.Then you have to cut out the chants about straight people, its only fair. You can't have 1 rule for one set and then one rule for another. I bet you've participated in some offence chant while been at a game. If you say you never have then I wouldn't believe you tbh, everyone has at some stage.Now if the chants are actually malicious and personal attacks and is proper abuse then ofc its not alright. But that should be the case for all and not based on what colour or sexuality you are.Plus I find it a bit ironic that you are arguing against this behaviour yet used it above to try and get your point across :thup:And as for the last bit of your post, its the same law whether straight, gay etc Section 74 and Schedule 16 amend Part 3A of the Public Order Act 1986 to extend hate crime legislation to cover "hatred against a group of persons defined by reference to sexual orientation(whether towards persons of the same sex, the opposite sex or both)."
It read to me that you were defending the chants because homosexuals want equal rights? If I read that wrong then I apologise.

It doesnt stipulate it in my contract though, why should i go in and burst my arse and cover all the weak staff, just to get docked pay because im not fully shaven, especially seeing as ive proved i get bad rashes due to it! Also if im getting penalised for that, why isnt the female chef in work getting made to wear a hair net when her hair is quite loose, and customers are sending food back with a hair in it?

It doesnt stipulate it in my contract though, why should i go in and burst my arse and cover all the weak staff, just to get docked pay because im not fully shaven, especially seeing as ive proved i get bad rashes due to it! Also if im getting penalised for that, why isnt the female chef in work getting made to wear a hair net when her hair is quite loose, and customers are sending food back with a hair in it?

I reckon if it doesn’t stipulate your appearance in your contract i don't see how they can sack you. On the female chef thing with no hair net then that is vile. I have worked in kitchens, both in OZ and UK, and was pretty sure a hair net was a basic requirement by law in both countries. If you are working somewhere where this is not enforced then i suggest looking for work elsewhere.

The reason i say that is because if the owners/managers can't be bothered to enforce basic hygiene principles such as hair nets/hats then what must the inside of the fridge, freezer & kitchen look like?

I reckon if it doesn’t stipulate your appearance in your contract i don't see how they can sack you. On the female chef thing with no hair net then that is vile. I have worked in kitchens, both in OZ and UK, and was pretty sure a hair net was a basic requirement by law in both countries. If you are working somewhere where this is not enforced then i suggest looking for work elsewhere.

The reason i say that is because if the owners/managers can't be bothered to enforce basic hygiene principles such as hair nets/hats then what must the inside of the fridge, freezer & kitchen look like?

Its farcical to be honest mate, the chefs a **** and makes comments about me not shaving from time to time, yet doesnt even enforce his own staff to wear hats, politics in the place is unbelievable aswell

Its farcical to be honest mate, the chefs a **** and makes comments about me not shaving from time to time, yet doesnt even enforce his own staff to wear hats, politics in the place is unbelievable aswell

Unfortunately i have worked in one or two places like that. If you can i recommend getting another gig somewhere else. People like that only like that position as they can control other people and get off on making life hell for the few unlucky few.

Unfortunately i have worked in one or two places like that. If you can i recommend getting another gig somewhere else. People like that only like that position as they can control other people and get off on making life hell for the few unlucky few.

I couldeve had another job by now, was offered 2 others, but they were more remote areas of the country, i think i will start looking for something else now

You'll find in most places it's one rule for one and one for another.

This is so true. I pretty much say it as it is to my boss without warning or anything where as I know others couldn't.

I'd watch how you go with him, some people you thought you could have a bit of a laugh with might change in an instant.

Anywho, what's everyone up to this evening? My missus is working again, (bloody barmaid always working six while close!), so I'm on my lonesome. Wigan vs. Swansea and FM it is I suppose. :(

I'd watch how you go with him, some people you thought you could have a bit of a laugh with might change in an instant.

Anywho, what's everyone up to this evening? My missus is working again, (bloody barmaid always working six while close!), so I'm on my lonesome. Wigan vs. Swansea and FM it is I suppose. :(

Its a she, which is probably why I get away with it. Most likely wants me :brock:.

I have just had my last observation for my course which was graded 'good'. My last lesson is Monday. Doubt I will be up to much tonight. I'm not watching the match. I am watching the game tomorrow instead. Saves agro.

Precisely what I'm up to, and that elicits a :) for me!

Tweaking my latest save with a bit more of an aggressive attacking strategy, will probably **** it up...

The Spurs one? Can't believe you've been taken over to the strikerless darkside. :(

Yep. I'm enjoying myself and have temporarily rescued myself from a financial abyss. Helps that City are useless at spending properly, without them I'd be screwed.

I will possibly head back to a striker based tactic, but found that I was mostly trying to lure the opposition defence forward to make space for runners from midfield when I used strikers, so why bother with them anyway?

Fergie retiring? The Telegraph doesn't usually get over excited about hot air like this.

Moyes or Mourinho?

Said on Twitter it seems to fit perfectly for Mourinho to come in.

Having said that, lets just wait and see. I hope it isn't true, but understandable if so.

Does Bobby Charlton historically ruling Mourinho out carry any weight?

Yes of course. But it has been said that when Ferguson retires he'll have a say on who succeeds him, and he is very chumy with Jose.

I'd rule Moyes out on the basis of lack of CL experience. He consistently does brilliant work at Everton, but there's a risk he'd be a rabbit in the headlights at a club of United's size. Will be an interesting week, perhaps all will be revealed in his on pitch address to the crowd after the Swansea game...

I'd rule Moyes out on the basis of lack of CL experience. He consistently does brilliant work at Everton, but there's a risk he'd be a rabbit in the headlights at a club of United's size. Will be an interesting week, perhaps all will be revealed in his on pitch address to the crowd after the Swansea game...

It would be an interesting way to deliver the message, I guess. I don't want him to stop just yet, and if that means missing out on Mourinho then so be it.