Off Topic Thread: Hey lurkers, post ffs!!

Purefun

It's hard to know who United will go for.

Real Madrid is a repulsive club and Mourinho has managed to further taint their image.

He is a phenomenally successful manager, but I think this reputation for winning whatever the cost may put United off.

If it does, I have no idea who they go for. Klopp with ten more years experience would be ideal.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRL88

• tomtuck01

• Cleon

• Nottingham Forest

Top Posters In This Topic

When ever Fergie goes United have a massive decision on their hands. Do they go for. Mourinho who I think will win trophies for them straight away or a Moyes where they may have to settle for second or third best for a few years. I hope they go for Moyes personally because I think he deserves a crack at a top, top job.

When ever Fergie goes United have a massive decision on their hands. Do they go for. Mourinho who I think will win trophies for them straight away or a Moyes where they may have to settle for second or third best for a few years. I hope they go for Moyes personally because I think he deserves a crack at a top, top job.

Just out of interest, why do you feel that he deserves a crack at a top job?

Twitter is gathering momentum with stories of an announcement at 10am today. Potentially leading to his retirement plans. This does make me somewhat nervous. Mourinho, for all his perceived sins, would be the ideal candidate. However, he isn't the only world class manager available. A lot have spoken of Mourinho and Ole working together, with Ole to eventually succeed him when he has more experience of managing a top club.

Moyes to join and take control of preseason tour, etc, while Sir Alex recovers from his hip operation. And then he'll "learn the ropes" under Sir Alex until the end of the season, when he'll then takeover fulltime.

Either that, or the master puppeteer and posturer is taking over.

Moyes to join and take control of preseason tour, etc, while Sir Alex recovers from his hip operation. And then he'll "learn the ropes" under Sir Alex until the end of the season, when he'll then takeover fulltime.

Either that, or the master puppeteer and posturer is taking over.

Can't see that first option to be honest, would be a bit of a patronising situation for Moyes - "Sure, you've managed in the Premier League for ages, but this is how you manage a big club".

Definitely don't see this: "A lot have spoken of Mourinho and Ole working together, with Ole to eventually succeed him when he has more experience of managing a top club."

Instinctively it could be Mourinho. That would irritate the hell out of Chelsea fans and I'm all for that. Either way, nothing has happened yet.

Just out of interest, why do you feel that he deserves a crack at a top job?

For the last 10 years he has done an excellent job with Everton, with a very small squad and limited budget. Just think he deserves a step up.

For the last 10 years he has done an excellent job with Everton, with a very small squad and limited budget. Just think he deserves a step up.

My issue is with his record in the transfer market. For every Jagielka, Baines, and Pienaar, there is a Yakuubu, Bilyaletdinov, and Kroldrup.

There are steps up, and there are steps up.

I think Moyes is a fantastic manager, and he's done well for precisely the reasons you mention.

However, the relative lack of experience in Europe and the lack of experience managing "top, top" players, goes against him.

Moyes could do a great job at the next logical step up - a Spurs, Liverpool (obviously NOT them!) or even an Arsenal.

Then he could get the experience to allow him a realistic shout at a club like United.

My issue is with his record in the transfer market. For every Jagielka, Baines, and Pienaar, there is a Yakuubu, Bilyaletdinov, and Kroldrup.

Every manager has a record like that though. Fergie is prone to the odd Taibi, Veron, Djemba-Djemba mistake.

Moyes installed as favourite does surprise me.

I know Fergie likes him and has a strong say in his successor, but I'd be genuinely surprised if he is appointed. Bookies don't often get things wrong.

What is clear is that United have a man in mind and they are certain they'll get him; Fergie would not have retired otherwise.

I'd expect the announcement to be made after the final game of the Premier League or La Liga season, depending on who they go for. They won't drag their heels with this.

EDIT - Klopp? No EPL experience and limited top flight experience, but clearly talented and speaks fluent English

My new phone is arriving today. A Nokia Lumia 920. Anyone had any experiences with them?

Not personally, but I really like the new Windows Phones. The UI is really impressive. I'm not sure on Apps. We don't develop for them because take-up is low, but I'd have thought you'd have all the big players on it.

In an eerie art imitating life moment Klopp has just won the Champions league with Man U in my FM game.

KIlopp for the managers role at Man u for me. $5 bet going on it tomorrow based solely on FM13. :-)

Some bloke who writes for The Times reckons Moyes will be appointed in the next 24 hours. Meant to be a reliable source.

Can't say I'm disappointed by this, despite my reservations about his record in the transfer market.

Some bloke who writes for The Times reckons Moyes will be appointed in the next 24 hours. Meant to be a reliable source.

Can't say I'm disappointed by this, despite my reservations about his record in the transfer market.

That would be clever... isn't fergie sticking around until the end of the season? I can't imagine united announcing or appointing anyone until then.

Tucker how did your first season end with utd?

Won the league with 97pts, nine ahead of City, losing once and scoring 103 goals, conceding just 15.

Beat City in the League Cup Final (1-0), but exited the FA Cup in the 3rd round to Stoke (3-2) and the Champions League at the Quarter Final stage to Barcelona on away goals (2-2).

That would be clever... isn't fergie sticking around until the end of the season? I can't imagine united announcing or appointing anyone until then.

I read that he is staying on as an ambassador and director in some capacity.

Moyes to be named this afternoon according to the media. Decent choice and better than Mourinho imo. Mourinho isn't known for blooding youths or sticking around long term.

I also called Fergie leaving at the beginning of the season in this very thread. Although I did say after Champs League glory :D

What of the young players he has given chances to at Real this season, do they not count?

The ones who where already on the fringes anyway? He's not known for investing in youth though and giving them a real chance. He's not at a club long enough to do that even if he wanted ffs :D

In an ideal world, who would be your choice Tom? Klopp? :)

I'm not sure I buy into the myth that Mourinho doesn't invest in youth. He's given a lot of young players their first starts for clubs. Stuck with Balotelli and Santon at Inter. Given a few Real Madrid youth players their first games and signed young players like Varane, although how much the signings are down to him at Real I don't know.

Plus, what's to say that he hasn't been told to go for big name players? I'm not sure Chelsea and Real Madrid really want him playing a youthful side, rather signing top marquee players to please the fans and sponsors wouldn't you have thought? Real Madrid have always been obsessed with the Galacticos and having a side bursting with big name players.

And United haven't really brought through many local players recently. Expensive youth signings make up most of the team like Jones and Smalling, for example. Indeed, they've had players leave through lack of first team football like Pogba and Fryers.

I think if he wanted a long term project and was told to invest in youth he might prove a few people wrong. But what do I know, I'm just speculating like most.

One thing's for sure; if City get a world class manager and Mourinho goes back to Chelsea it's going to be a baptism of fire for Moyes at United.

I did yeah, it crap?

No, it looks really good on my iPhone. Red headers and a simple colour scheme. Looks good. If you still want it, I can convert your banner for the mobile site, if that would work? I don't know if you can have banners on mobile themes.

Looks increasingly like Rooney is on his way too?

Suspect that's less key than replacing Fergie and Gill, but these things happen in threes....

A fairly tenuous bit of info to perpetuate this rumour is that Rooney has chopped "Man United player" from his Twitter bio: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10046150/Wayne-Rooney-deletes-Manchester-United-player-from-Twitter-bio.html