Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

12 minutes ago, nightwalker22 said:

Is Pass into Space doing exactly the same effect as More Risky Passes PI applied to all the players (or attacking players)?

Yes, it is the same thing.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pivot said:

It is possible to force players to work hard in defence, no matter what their position?

Yes it is, there will be some positions that may not drop back entirely during certain phases because you have elected to choose a specific role/duty and you mentality could be higher. Overall though I have been able to get at least 10 players behind the ball in defence. It will depend on your mentality, shape. roles and duties.

I'm having trouble figuring out what width I should be using. I play a counter-attacking 4231 with a very pacey left winger and an attacking right wing back. I typically play more narrow against teams that are better than me unless they play a very narrow formation and I think I can exploit the flanks. Are there any tips anyone can offer as to how I should choose my width? I can't ever really notice a difference when I play either(on full or comprehensive). Thanks a bunch for the help!

1 hour ago, nightwalker22 said:

Just a question, in theory, if you have a 4-4-2 with a DLF and AF and you want a wide midfielder to cut inside, where is better to place him, on the side of DLF or AF? And why is that?

Either side. Depends on what you want to achieve and how you want it to be done really. AF would create depth for him and also move into channels if he has great off the ball and anticipation, DLF would combine with him perhaps with a 1-2 or a just pulling the defender forward creating a hole that can be attacked. 

In other words, like so much in this sort of game, there's no "best" or "better" place to place him. Place him whilst being cognizant of what you wanna achieve (or rather 'how' you wanna achieve it)

21 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

Either side. Depends on what you want to achieve and how you want it to be done really. AF would create depth for him and also move into channels if he has great off the ball and anticipation, DLF would combine with him perhaps with a 1-2 or a just pulling the defender forward creating a hole that can be attacked. 

In other words, like so much in this sort of game, there's no "best" or "better" place to place him. Place him whilst being cognizant of what you wanna achieve (or rather 'how' you wanna achieve it)

Let's say that I am looking to have my wide midfielder act like an inside forward and exploit the space created by DLF. Not entirely sure what would happen in terms of space if I put the WM on the side of AF, my instinct says that the wide midfielder will step forward and support the AF more than attack space?

I shouldn't have said "how it works better" in the first place, I should have said what happens in both cases, in theory.

Edited by Armistice

Hi guys, what should I do when opponent seem like playing a very tight marking & intensive closing down game? My players were never able to receive the ball in comfortable situation, and many times get intercepted before he even receive the ball. Strangely, I still able to get 71% pass completion. I play 4231, with no Playmaker, Left IF and Right Winger, Standard & Flexible, only TI is Pass Shorter.

4 hours ago, nightwalker22 said:

Let's say that I am looking to have my wide midfielder act like an inside forward and exploit the space created by DLF. Not entirely sure what would happen in terms of space if I put the WM on the side of AF, my instinct says that the wide midfielder will step forward and support the AF more than attack space?

I shouldn't have said "how it works better" in the first place, I should have said what happens in both cases, in theory.

It will depend on the AF and how he behaves. If he goes wider, into the channels, he may create space for the WM to cut into. Likewise, if he doesn't, the two may be able to combine to overload a specific area between the fulllback and centreback.

You will only know if you try it out for a few matches and keep an eye on how the players interact.

23 hours ago, WengerApprentice said:

Hi guys, what should I do when opponent seem like playing a very tight marking & intensive closing down game? My players were never able to receive the ball in comfortable situation, and many times get intercepted before he even receive the ball. Strangely, I still able to get 71% pass completion. I play 4231, with no Playmaker, Left IF and Right Winger, Standard & Flexible, only TI is Pass Shorter.

You could try a number of things

1: Remove the Pass it Shorter TI to get the ball up to your forward players

2: Try Counter Attacking

3: Go more fluid

4: Adopt a formation that overloads the midfield.

Edited by mbabbs

Without changing anything else, is dropping an AP(S) from AMC to CM going to impact much other than (hopefully improve) the defensive shape?  Both the CM and AMC notes say the player will sit in the hole but at CM he'll come deeper in defence?

I'm conceding a big percentage of my goals by set pieces because my team is the shortest in the league. What can I do to improve that record, besides buying taller players of course.

Edited by Armistice

10 hours ago, Harpoon76 said:

Without changing anything else, is dropping an AP(S) from AMC to CM going to impact much other than (hopefully improve) the defensive shape?  Both the CM and AMC notes say the player will sit in the hole but at CM he'll come deeper in defence?

It will also influence the space he works in when attacking.  He's starting from a deeper position which may help if his usual AMC area is being cut off.

22 minutes ago, nightwalker22 said:

I'm conceding a big percentage of my goals by set pieces because my team is the shortest in the league. What can I do to improve that record, besides buying taller players of course.

Figure out why you are conceding so many free kicks in the first place.  Do you have a particularly dirty player?  Check coach reports for lines such as "likes to bend the rules".  Is anyone instructed to tackle harder?  Or have a PPM such as Dives into Tackles?  Do you use a particularly aggressive role in combination with any these?

Is it feasible to have both full-backs on attack in a 4-3-1-2? The only thing i'm concerned about is the potential lack of attacking variation, but both my 1st choice full-backs have the PPM 'Gets Further Forward' so am I wrong in thinking that a WBd with this PPM will override his duty?

11 minutes ago, jc577 said:

Is it feasible to have both full-backs on attack in a 4-3-1-2? The only thing i'm concerned about is the potential lack of attacking variation, but both my 1st choice full-backs have the PPM 'Gets Further Forward' so am I wrong in thinking that a WBd with this PPM will override his duty?

Traits (PPMs) are tendencies - it's something a player will "tend" to do a little more often, not always do.  With the WB(d), it won't override the duty - he'll just tend to get further forward a little more often than the duty would otherwise allow.

And yes, it's perfectly feasible to have both fullbacks with an attack duty so long as the rest of your system is balanced.  I've been quite happily playing with 2 x FB(a) in my 442 narrow diamond this year, which is essentially the same as a 4312.

Is it possible to create a 'stalemate' game, where both sides have nearly no shots at all? Whenever I create a tactic the games end up in a shot-fest, where both sides have 15-20 shots each (or, I get 3 shots and my opponents get 30, that happens a lot too...). 

Could someone be bothered to post up a tactic that should result in a snooze-fest? I'd really like to start with a defensively solid tactic and build from there, but I just can't create one. 

I've got my Poacher learning the ppm 'stays in the opposition area' is this a good idea? I want him to remain central and not get involved in build-up too much so it seems like a good idea but i'm unsure.

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 15:54, jc577 said:

@herne79 Thanks for clearing that up. If i were to play with two FBa, then would the two outer cm's have to be a generic cm/bwm support? 

"Have" to be?  No, that's way too absolute.

3 hours ago, Footix said:

Is it possible to create a 'stalemate' game, where both sides have nearly no shots at all? Whenever I create a tactic the games end up in a shot-fest, where both sides have 15-20 shots each (or, I get 3 shots and my opponents get 30, that happens a lot too...). 

Could someone be bothered to post up a tactic that should result in a snooze-fest? I'd really like to start with a defensively solid tactic and build from there, but I just can't create one. 

You may be better off posting detail of your system in a new thread, telling us what problems you are seeing and someone may be able to help.

52 minutes ago, jc577 said:

I've got my Poacher learning the ppm 'stays in the opposition area' is this a good idea? I want him to remain central and not get involved in build-up too much so it seems like a good idea but i'm unsure.

Not a PPM I've ever used before.  But if you don't want him much involved in build up I'd check things like his Determination, Work Rate, Team Work and Aggression too.  Regardless of what the role description says, how different players carry out that role will largely be influenced by their attributes (and PPMs).

I guess I could post one of my systems, but I don't know if it would matter much? I'm not looking to improve any particular tactic, I was asking if it was possible to create something that resulted in next no shots for both teams. The tactic itself is nearly irrelevant, I'd go with anything and tweak it if I had that 'base' to build from. 

Another stupid question.. You are the weaker side, but somehow manage to lead at half time. Against the run of play. What do you do? 

I feel I should do "something", logic being the opponents have been the better team and if we just carry on with our initial tactic they will score eventually. 

But.. If I go more attacking, I'm making myself vulnerable to counters. When my opponents are better than me, I don't like this thought... 

If I go more defensive, I invite pressure. They were already all over us in the first half, do we really need more pressure upon us..?

What is the "best strategy"? The last few games where this scenario has happened I have been out of ideas, so I have hit continue without changing anything and hoped for the best. Can't say if it makes any difference what you do, I seem to lose regardless.

When I am the weaker side it doesn't feel too unfair or anything, but it would have been nice to get something from games such as these. 

35 minutes ago, Footix said:

I guess I could post one of my systems, but I don't know if it would matter much? I'm not looking to improve any particular tactic, I was asking if it was possible to create something that resulted in next no shots for both teams. The tactic itself is nearly irrelevant, I'd go with anything and tweak it if I had that 'base' to build from. 

The answer is yes and it would be everything you'd expect. Low risk/defensive Mentality, a lot of Defend Duties with a few Support Duties too, so that there isn't a lot of going forward and not many risks taken at all.

31 minutes ago, Footix said:

If I go more defensive, I invite pressure. They were already all over us in the first half, do we really need more pressure upon us..?

You made it sound like in the context of the game, there was already a lot of pressure on you, so going more defensive would mean you have more players there to cope with it. You're hoping also for them to over commit and then get hit on the counter.

14 minutes ago, nightwalker22 said:

I still struggle to understand what Move into Channels and Roam from Position shouts do in a practical system. If anyone is willing to help me, I am also trying to spot that during a game.

move into channels - you will notice this if you only have one strikerr for instance. instead of just being central, he will make runs into, funnily enough, the channels :) . if you imagine a line across the pitch from his position, he will move along it more to draw central defenders out wider. if you have an inside forward do it, it could draw there fullback inside to make space for a fullback to go past unchallenged. does that make sense?

roam from position - is what it says. again, the example of a lone striker. instead of staying there, he will drift around looking for space or just to drag defenders around. he might leave his position all together and be almost in a winger position if he decides there is space there, because you have given the freedom to let him choose instead of following your specific instructions of where to be

5 minutes ago, nightwalker22 said:

I still struggle to understand what Move into Channels and Roam from Position shouts do in a practical system. If anyone is willing to help me, I am also trying to spot that during a game.

You read rashidi's response in that other thread?

Move into channels is a very specific movement - running into the space between the fullback and central defender to use the space for himself or to drag a defender away from their position to create space for someone else.  So it's only really applicable for advanced players.

Roam from position is available for pretty much anyone (there is a TI) and it encourages players to move further from their starting positions to make themselves more open to a pass.

Of course the success (or not) of this movement will depend to a large extent on your players' attributes (off the ball for example).

How to spot this during matches?  Moves into channels is relatively straight forward as it's a very specific movement.  Roam from position is harder as it'll be more subtle (we're not talking 50 yard runs here).  Just remember players aren't always going to do it, and when they do it isn't always going to be obvious.  It's like moving the defensive line up one notch, or one notch less width, or a little less closing down - can you always spot the difference?  I can't (well, not always), but the overall flow of the match can change with these subtle differences, which is what I mainly watch for.  I don't need to see that my def line now looks 1cm higher on the computer screen (for example), I just want to see that it's had the desired effect.  These changes individually may look subtle to us, but they can have a large impact on the course of the match.

You'll just see more drifting toward open spaces with Roaming. It's what I see anyway. It can easily backfire though, with multiple players drifting to the same open space. Had that with a 4-4-2 Diamond last year or the year before.

Alright thanks everyone, it always confused me these two PIs and I thought they're pretty good option for advanced players to try and pull defenders out of shape as i am still struggling to break stubborn defences.

1 hour ago, jc577 said:

What's the best way to press high up the pitch, through team instructions or personal instructions?

By using a formation suited to a high press.

Your mentality will then set your base line for the overall amount of pressing which can then be tweaked with the TI and refined for individual players with PIs.

7 hours ago, Leccy said:

Not t and t related but doesn't require a new thread in GD. 

Do mutual termination fees for staff come out of your transfer budget?

As it's not a training or tactics or strategy question, it'd be better in GD.

8 hours ago, Analog said:

Players can move more freely from their assigned positions to make themselves available for a pass.  It helps with keeping possession.  

Can also harm possession if not used correctly, just in case everyone now starts selecting Roaming blindly just because they want possession. :D

I posted this somewhere else, but in a 442 diamond a while back, I had too many players roaming and they were close together anyway. They tended to mostly roam into the same positions, which drastically reduced my passing options. So special care needs to be taken there.

Hey guys I need some help with my 4-2-3-1 in my Hansa Rostock save!!! I'm on winter break right now and sit in 12th place(21Games played-7W-4D-10L) with the board dissapointed in me. 

I just made this 4-2-3-1 so I don't have any team instructions or player instructions yet and I was wondering if someone could  help me with this. 

My Tactic:

GK-D

DR: FB-S

CDR: COVER

CDL: STOPPER

DL: FB-S

MCR: BWM-D

MCL: CM-S

AMR: W-S

AMC: AP-AT

AML: IF-S

STC: AF-AT

The only player instructions I have right now are that the 2 central defenders should hold their position.

Thank you!!

Edited by kikijones2001

6 hours ago, ppl_unicode said:

How can a player in real-life have low technique and high crossing attribute? It seems like these things go together no? 

Crossing will be their accuracy with crosses. If it's a simple/standard cross, they'll be fine. If it's a difficult cross to pull off, they won't have the technique to do it though. And don't forget other attributes like Balance, if they're running at pace. So take the whole picture into account.

Hi folks,

This is my first post on this forum, hopefully I've found the right thread for my question(s).

A) When signing a new player, why are there two options for asking my captain to welcome him to the club? As far as I can remember there is a calm option and an assertive one but they both say more or less the same thing. Does it make any difference which option I choose?

B) When loaning out a player, I can say three options to a player. I think the calm one says something like "we'll review your progress on your return", the assertive option says something like "earn yourself a new contract here or elsewhere" and I forget the third. Again, do these make a difference? I always choose the first and the player says "blah blah who am I to argue".

The reason for my question is that I only recently found out that with the two options you have when asking a player to tutor someone/be tutored, one tutors personality, the other tutors PPMs and personality yet they are worded nearly exactly the same.

Another one  - I can only find one player in my database (large) that has the PPM of "curls ball". He's a 20 year old regen who plays CB, why is he the only player in the world with "curls ball"? And should I sign him just to transfer that PPM to other players? My concern is a) he's not very good and b) he's only 20 so I won't be able to use him as a tutor for a while anyway.

I've also noticed that there are loads of personality types which don't seem to feature in my game. Personalities like "Born Leader" do not feature with any player in the world, just seems odd. There are four players in the world who are "Iron Willed".